Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tall Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Great to see a lot of novices and veterans from around these parts have great runs in Dublin Half and Berlin marathon. Congrats to everyone that ran.

This week was a bit of a sh!tshow on all fronts so not a lot of positivity here.

Week of 18th September

Monday - 35' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 121avg HR

Previous Friday/Saturday night out caught up with me so took it handy and got the run done. Had physio later that morning to get the legs a freshen up.

Took the 2 boys up around Lough Bray later that evening which was enjoyable but I came away with massive knot in my right quad. Used the massage gun on it that evening which eased it a little.

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:23/Km, 127avg HR

A nice run down through Nutgrove, Churchtown and back up along the dodder.

Wednesday

Planned: 20' easy, (2' @ ~4:55, 2' easy) * 15, 20' easy

Got the 20' easy warm up done and when I got to through the first few reps the quad was at me quite a bit. When I got to the 5th rep, I pulled the plug. Just not worth it this close to race day. As soon as I stopped I was on to the physio for an appointment the next day.

Thursday - Rest day

Physio appointment to get the quad worked on. He said we could jump to needling if I wanted but stuck to manual maniuplation for this week. If it persists into next week I'll get the dry needling done.

Friday - Unplanned rest day

Physio told me to take this day off.

Saturday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:04/Km, 139avg HR including Bushy parkrun

Quad felt good throughout. PF flared up which I was quite concerned about it. Things had been progressing in the right direction up until this. Out later that night to the local GAA club to watch the rugby with friends.

Sunday - Unplanned rest day

Between the PF flared up and the hangover, I cried off. Not my best decision but not feeling excited by running right now. Should have been 2 hours easy/PMP. PF felt better later in the day so feeling a little better from that side of things.

Mileage for the Week - 32Km

Mileage for the Year - 1290Km

No S&C this week either. A poor week of running when I was hoping that it would be an esccape. I hadn't mention it last week as I was hoping the "process" would be complete but between paperwork/bureaucracy it has been dragging out. The gent that was found deceased in Spain the previous week was a friend who was on holidays with our group of friends. I had opted out of the trip due to Chicago marathon which I see as a blessing in disguise. Our friends that were over with him have been through an unthinkable experience so those that didn't travel have been rallying around them at coffee meetups during the week and pinting on the weekends. The repatriation has been dragging out and taking its toll on the family. Fingers crossed that he will be home early/mid this upcoming week so we can give him a fitting send off.

2 weeks until Chicago - looking forward to the trip from an escapism pov. Not excited where my running is at right now so just hoping to get through it and then get excited about Run the Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I didnt know him but know a couple of people who did. Puts an awful lot of things in to perspective. Hope you have the send off he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

That's so tragic & awful for all involved, it's hard to even digest anything before your loved one is laid to rest. Hopefully it's not drawn out too much longer. Take care of yourself🤗

Thanks D. He was a great lad and I'm not surprised that the degrees of seperation are that close. He was well known and liked. A fantastic send off for him yesterday.

Thanks E. It is not something that I feel will ever be normalised in this lifetime, regardless of whether it is a friend or family member.

Post edited by py on

• Advertisement

Post edited by py on

Week of 25th September

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 131avg HR

Nice run over one of my regular routes. Another hike later in the day up in Cruagh woods. Stuck to the gravel paths this week to avoid any unneeded rocky terrain after the previous week's quad issue. Planning on doing the same for the upcoming week.

Tuesday

20' easy, (1' @ ~4:52, 1' easy) * 20, 20' easy - 13Km, 6:01/Km, 138avg HR

Wet and windy session. I won't list out all the intervals but I was on target for the vast majority of them with a couple too quick and one being far too long as I wrestled with my inability to program my watch to match what the workout should have been. 🙄 Positive is that I felt comfortable throughout with no niggles to report.

Wednesday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:33/Km, 128avg HR

Busy day ahead so had to get out at 5:30am so the wife could get out for her run upon my return. She has done her C25K and I have signed all of us, except for the 5 year old, up for Jingle Bells in December.

Thursday - Rest day

Friday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:24/Km, 127avg HR

I had my day planned out to get my run done, prep for Chicago and a few other things but it all went tits up when my eldest face planted off his scooter as we got a few minutes out the door on the way to school. Got him home and patched up but opted to have him at home for the day to keep an eye on him. He's grand now. A little shook up at the time. Playing his switch for most of the day kept his mind off his injuries. I'd to get to my buddy's wake and then had an hour of basketball coaching to get done so it was quite late in the day when I got out for the run. Only thing I took away from the run was that I still hate running late in the day.

Saturday

90' PMP - 15Km, 5:55/Km, 139avg HR

Another busy day so another early start getting out at 6:30am. No fuel beforehand or during. Felt good throughout. Minimal traffic out so I ran on the roads when possible. Buddy's funeral later that day so it was a very tough run from a mental perspective. He got a great send off at the church, burial and afters. Pints flowed, stories were told and plenty of embraces occurred. There is a lot to be said for having great family/friends when the proverbial hits the fan.

Sunday - Rest day

Mileage for the Week - 59Km

Mileage for the Year - 1349Km

Delighted to have survived the week physically and mentally. The routine is shot with all the early mornings and late nights so I was glad to get all the runs completed. Quad issue from the prior week has not reappeared. PF still a little niggly at times but putting that down to late nights and poor sleep as a result of pints being consumed. Proper sleep/rest/hydration is the focus of the upcoming week.

1 week until Chicago - Quite a bit of action on the marathon's social pages this week has the race buzz slowly growing inside of me. I have been keeping an eye on the r/ChicagoMarathon subreddit and listening to various podcasts on the race. A few posts last week about weather had the temperatures in the low 20s and humid. Today we're seeing it being forecasted as high single digits with some wind. I'll hold any judgement until a few days out and just pack race gear for all possible outcomes. Flying out Thursday. Have been loading a lot of TV and movies on to the tablet, books on to the kindle and some games on to my very old Nintendo DS. Just want to keep as busy was possible when on idle on the airplane and also at the AirBnb. I am going to head to the expo on Friday morning and perhaps a few other places though I hope to keep the step count as low as possible.

Week of 2nd October - Race week 🤩

Monday - Rest day

Picked up a last few items that I needed and sorted most of the packing. Also a final sports massage too.

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:12/Km, 128avg HR + 24' S&C

Easy run in Dodder park after the school drop. Last pre race S&C session afterwards.

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:20/Km, 133avg HR

Up early to get this done as last minute prep and work meetings to work through.

Thursday - Rest/Travel day

Long day of travel. No flight delays thankfully. Plenty of marathoners and their cheer crew on the flight. We got wished good luck by the air hostess over the tannoy as we were descending. Once in Chicago airport you start to see more and more marathoners. How do you know they are marathoners? Marathon finisher apparel from around the globe is worn. The funky coloured runners from every brand you can think of. Quick chat with runners from Sweden, UK and Germany. Plenty of us were having problems with the CTA machines to get train ticket. Bring cash for this if you ever plan on attending.

After getting off at my train stop, there was an Olive Garden right outside so I grabbed food as I didn't eat on the plane. I think my dinner the day before the race will be here. Not fine dining but plenty of carbs and it's very close to the Airbnb.

Friday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:21/Km, 145avg HR

I'm staying out in the suburbs but there's no big parks near me to get an uninterrupted run completed. Plotted a route that would finish close to a nice cafe so I could get breakfast. The owner has consulted on the show "The Bear" and now sell the chocolate cake from the show. Had normal breakfast and then got a slice but kept most of it for after dinner. The start/stop nature of the run was worth it.

Off to the expo. After I get off at my train stop at The Loop, there are Chicago marathon posters and runners everywhere. Everyone is head down at their phones or head up at information screens trying to figure out where the green line is so they can get to the expo. Get on the right train and depart. Queues of runners at each pedestrian light. Then the light goes and it's like being in a race with a wide range of pacing strategies being executed so the weaving begins. Mental note for Sunday... No weaving.

Expo is busy when I arrive but is rammed by the time I leave. I pick up my marathon and 5Km bibs without issue. A picture is had at each of their respective signs and then I start to wander. Abbott obviously have a large footprint so I look around their stands and come across the 6 star wall of fame which has our very own @opus on there. My main goal at the expo was to get to the Oofos stand and see what they've got. Picked up another pair of their shoes to help keep the PF at bay. Wandered around the remaining stalls with the likes of Nike and Feet Fleet insanely busy. A few freebies to be had but nothing exciting. Think I was there for about 90 minutes. I grab a cab and head up to a mall to get the wife and kids presents sorted. Visited one of the local Fleet Feet stores and almost purchased another pair of Endorphin Pro to use on race day but common sense prevailed. I may pick them up after the race as they're a little cheaper over here. Grabbed the required water for Maurten 320 in a Whole Foods and then it was home time.

Exhausted after a long day. Finished the day with 30k steps but presents have been sorted and everything is done for race day so Saturday is just the Chicago 5Km with plenty of time off my feet afterwards. I'm not sure I'd recommend going to the expo the day before the race given all the walking that is required.

Saturday - 35' easy - Chicago 5Km - 5Km, 6:25/Km, 127avg HR

Not a great night's sleep before this. Early start to get into Grant Park so a dry run of tomorrow's trek. Arrived in plenty of time. Wandered around a little before entering the corrals. Busier than I expected. There was no bag check so I had to use a drawstring bag to carry some stuff and then run with it. Corral assignment was a bit of a joke as there was walkers in all corrals. GPS issues started after first 2Kms but kept the pace steady throughout. An enjoyable event and perfect opportunity to test out the public transport at that time of the morning. Recommended if anyone is considering doing the marathon.

Mileage for the week - 26Km

Mileage for the Year - 1375Km

1 sleep until Chicago - both the race and the excitement have been a long time coming. The buzz finally hit me when I got to the expo. When the lottery hit last December I was psyched to get an entry. Then the dreaded PF hit so I feel really lucky to be here at all. PB stands at 4:24. I've no races done this year so I'm going to stick at around 5:55-6:00/Km which would see a new PB if I can stick with that throughout. It's been very manageable during my long runs. Need to stay disciplined early on when experiencing the GPS issues due to the skyscrapers. Due to this, I've turned off auto lap on the watch. I'm going to monitor perceived effort and each 5Km marker time to keep myself on target.

Going to go watch the rugby match on RTE player. I'm more nervous about that then I am about the marathon. Pasta after the match and then finalise the race gear for the morning.

I'll report back tomorrow at some stage.

Chicago Marathon Race Report

Training

PF obliterated my plans for the year. Most of Q1 was little to no running when I pulled the plug on it after the 3rd week in January. Thanks again for the advice here on that. Started to try to run/walk in April to see if I could build up to where I could run easy for sixty minutes with a view to completing Chicago. I had paid for most of the trip back in December so I was happy to travel even if I had to walk the course. It was the end of June by the time I was able to get 5 days of easy running, 1 of which was a 90+ minute long run. This was a sign that I could do some light session work. With no races since early December and a lot of easy running, I had nothing to base my session workouts speedwork on so we leaned towards being conservative. Got 3hrs * 2 at the end of the block which resulted in no additional PF issues so I felt confident in getting around with the planned 6/Km pace. Slight quad issue in the first week of taper as well as a missed long run in the same week meant it was not all plain sailing but still felt good about finishing what would be my first major.

Race Day

Sleep was not plentiful on this trip and race day was no different. Never really got hold of jet lag so I was up early every day. I was awake at 3am which was 2 hours earlier than planned. Watched the final episode of Ahsoka and made progress in one of the Slow Horses books before getting up at 5am. I had everything ready the night before with the exception of the Maurten 320 mix that I was to consume on the train. We got out the door at about 5:30 to head for the train. A few marathoners at our stop and a few more on the train. Thankfully we got a seat. Carbon everywhere. The train quickly filled with runners as we neared The Loop. Off the train and there is a sea of runners all making their way towards Grant Park. When we reached the park, we got into the nearest hotel to use their facilities to avoid spending unnecessary time standing in the park. There were queues here but we were happy to stand in the warmth. Over to Grant Park to go through security which was a breeze. I had plenty of time to relax but the gent I was staying with was up in Corral A so he headed off to do a warm up in preparation for his 2:41 marathon😶. I got a seat on one of the benches opposite the water fountain and chatted away to other runners whilst preparing my race gear and fuel. Watered the bushes before and after the bag check. Portaloo queues were about 50 deep. Gathered everything I needed to carry with me and then over to the gear check. Back to the bench to relax some more. Seems I got to the park way too early.

Sauntered over to my corral with about 5 minutes to spare. Music was pumping and the announcer was cheering people on as they went by. I heard a shout out to someone from Kerry a few minutes before I got going. Took a Maurten 100 caffeine gel at about 8am. Our wave was due to go at 8am but I was in the last corral of the wave so it was ~8:25 by the time I started. I had brought a hat, t-shirt, long sleeve top and hoodie to throw away. I would recommend gloves and perhaps leggings to add to that. Slowly made our way forward as each corral was released. Off with the throwaways as the corral in front of us was released. Took another few mins to cross the line as the start line is narrower than the road but we got there.

Chicago is well known for GPS issues due to the skyscrapers so I'll base the report off the official splits. The GPS on my strava is all over the place when near the centre of the city.

0-5Km - 29:34 - 5:55/Km

Across the start line, out of Grant Park and you are presented with the first tunnel of the day. Also presented to you are walkers... walkers who should perhaps be back in Wave 3. Not sure how the cutoff works so perhaps they are trying to get ahead of that. Into the tunnel and notice there is someone getting medical assistance already. Thankfully it looks to be only a fall. Out of the tunnel you are hit with bright light and huge cheers from the supporters lined on both sides. Garmin shows all sorts of numbers so I stick to the plan of running 5:55-6/Km or close to 30min per 5K. The bridges are half covered in carpet so there is always a merging of runners to get across to the carpet. Across the bridge and within a few hundred metres you have the first turn. I have completely forgotten about the blue line that they have painted on the ground. I am too enthralled with the huge support and the massive buildings I am running between. This Is about this time that I realise that I may need to visit a portaloo or park bush once again. Running comfortably and as the mile markers pass, I am on target. Down half of the Maurten 320 in my soft flask.

6-10Km - 30:07 - 6:02/Km

I finally remember the blue line and start following it. Kms 5-8 are a long straight stretch with just buildings on either side. The support and their signage keep a smile on your face. "WTF - Where's The Finish"... "This will be long and hard but when has that ever been a bad thing"... "Football Running is life - Dani Rojas"... "You are a 26.2 out of 10"... "Run bitches"... "I have been training all week to hold this sign". At the end of the 8th Km you get out into the Lincoln Park. Plenty of runners take advantage of the bushes along here so I join them and feel much better for it. Running through the park is lovely and there's a bit of music (DJs, live bands etc) at various points. My shorts are struggling a little with all the gels that they are carrying (Maurten 160 * 4, Caff 100 * 1 and 100 * 1). I down the remaining Maurten 320 and then decide to carry a gel in each hand which makes things easier.

11-15Km - 28:46 - 5:46/Km

Out of Lincoln park and running alongside the lake coast. I was a little worried that we would be exposed to wind here but it was nothing to worry about in the end. Continual support is great. I don't have my name on my bib or singlet but I do get shouts of "Go Parkrun" which is great to hear and keeps me ticking along. We reach the northernmost point of the run and with 2 quick turns in succession, we are heading back towards Old Town. More mile markers come and go. The mental maths about where I am vs where I expected to be show that I am ahead of schedule and feeling good. The little uptick in my pace has me taking my gels a few minutes ahead of the 30 minute intervals I had planned. Caffeine 100 gel at about 1hr25mins.

16-20Km - 28:45 - 5:46/Km

This stretch brings you towards Old Town which has (imo) the best support of the day. A lot of music, cracking signs and the crowds are amazing. You start off in the suburbs here though you are soon parallel to the 5-8Km stretch and running back towards skyscrapers. Jello shots and beer are available from the crowd if you are taking a more relaxed approach to the race. GPS starts becoming screwy again. I keep running at a consistent pace whilst watching out for the dodos who keep running across my path to get water/gatorade. I am on the blue line near the middle of the road, yet they do not seem to realise that there are aid stations on both sides of the road. Approaching the halfway mark. Body/mind are feeling good. 160 gel consumed at about 1hr55 point.

21-25Km - 27:57 - 5:36/Km

We are approaching the river for 4th time.The red carpet they rolled over it still looks in good shape, despite about 20-25k people having trampled over it already. The noise is deafening as it bounds off the tall buildings. Running alongside the river now. I cross the halfway point in 2:03:20. Excited about where I am in terms of goal and the potential for the 2nd half. Just after the halfway mark we turn west and cross the river for the 5th time. I skip the red carpet this time and just run across the grates. It doesn't feel too bad though I would hesitate to do it on a wet day. About halfway through this section you get an incredible view of the North city skyline and the southern industrial area as you cross over i90. A little further uptick in pace throughout this section. 160 gel at about 2hr25.

26-30Km - 27:44 - 5:33/Km

I found this 5Km and the next to be the most frustrating part of the route. There were a number of turns and people were getting tired/lazy at this point. Nobody was holding their racing line so I was having to weave/dodge people going around turns. I can't recall a lot about this section as I was focused on navigating around bodies. Figured at this point that there is a potential for a sub 4 though I have a bit of time to make up to get there. All things still going well. No worries about PF and no sign of any other red flags. 160 gel at 2hr50.

31-35Km - 26:59 - 5:24/Km

More turns and more dodging. Increased the pace further. Feel like it has gotten a little warmer and there is little sign of any breeze. Number suggest that the sub 4 is on. Having not raced since December, I have no evidence that physically it is possible. Final crossing of Chicago river and we head under a number of bridges. At the exit of the final bridge, a woman trips over really poor road surface. She's ok and gets up fine with support from those near her. On the topic of road surface, there a few areas where you need to keep an eye on what is under foot. Short hill coming out of the tunnels so I take it easy-ish going up it. 100 gel at 3hr30.

36-40Km - 31:50 - 6:23/Km

Pace slightly slowed but still at sub 4 pace though unsure if overall pace is enough to get there. More corners to navigate before approaching the turn for the final out and back. At the end of 37Km I feel that I need to slow down for a bit. I am about to walk for a short bit when the legs buckle. I walk for about 20 metres and get jogging again. Sub 4 is gone as I was cutting it close at this stage. I get down to the u-turn and now face a long couple of Kms ahead.

Finish - 14:54 - 6:48/Km

I need to stretch twice along the final stretch of road. Trying to keep things moving as much as possible. After the 2nd stretch I see the "800m" sign up ahead and decide that I will "up" the pace a little which gets me back to my original 6min/Km pace. Both hamstrings cramp at the same time. I am not stopping. At the end of this road, you turn to go up a little hill and there is loads of support here before the final turn for the finish line. It feels like I could hear a pin drop here but there is loads of shouting going on. I have tunnel vision for the finish. At the top of the hill, a left turn and you can see the finish a few hundred metres away. My hamstrings are still screaming at me to stop. I cross over the finish line with my hands in the air but they quickly drop to my quads as I am bent over in exhaustion. Mentally and physically washed.

Result - 4:06:36 - PB by 17:32

Not sure if any of this is in order ... I waddle down towards the water line and pick up a muscle milk to get some protein to the muscles. Follow this up by getting my medal and then a couple of space blankets to keep warm. The beer at the finish line had a unique finisher's can. I am not a beer drinker but I try it anyway. Still not a beer drinker. Gatorade cup * 3 gets downed and I go get a picture taken with my medal which will hopefully come through in the finishers pix. I go grab my bag and then a seat to get changed into warm clothes. I venture to the other side of the fountain, grab another seat and try to gather myself physically/mentally. A call to wife/kids/parents to reassure them that I am ok after the race. A lot of congratulations which was great to hear. The boys are in awe of the medal. Later that evening I grabbed pizza and cider/shots. Exhausted by 9pm so made tracks back to the AirBnb. Woke up to a text from Aer Lingus saying my flight was delayed by 5 hours. This meant I could get to do one of the boat tours and have a wander about the city. Medal Monday as it is known, means there were marathon medals everywhere. Eventually got my flight late on Monday evening. Slept all the way home.

I am delighted with how it went. A PB after a horrid year of running means that if I can get a good run of training next year, I should be in good shape for a marathon in Spring/Autumn 2025. Run the Line (short) and Art O'Neill Pursuit are up next. No race plans for 2024 after AON. I will look at the race calendars soon and pick out some shorter distances from 5Km through to 10mile. Fingers crossed I can keep the PF at bay. There does not seem to be have been any reaction from it from the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

A great account of it and congrats on the big PB. FWIW, I think you were right to have a crack at the sub 4. You know it's there for you now, if you can get an injury free prep!

• Advertisement

A really great read! Well done again on the PB especially given the injuries this year, as D said you know the sub 4 is within sights now😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the PB! Loved that race report. Chicago is one my favourite cities and have run a half marathon there before so could picture everything you were describing :). Hope you're recovering well and no ill effects to the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great stuff M. Congrats on the PB - it's particularly deserved given the patience you showed in dealing with the PF. Great report too and lots of valuable nuggets there for anyone doing Chicago in the future. Recover well and best of luck with the 2024 goals.

Thanks for all the messages folks. Things have settled down since so getting back into the swing of things.

Week of 9th October

Rest for the most part. Physio on the Thursday after race day. No lingering issues. Did an S&C session on the Sunday. Just a bit of walking throughout the week to keep the legs moving.

Week of 16th October

Monday - Rest day - hike in the hills with the boys

Tuesday

35' easy -5.5Km, 6:23/Km, 136avg HR

First post race rune. Body feeling good.

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:22/Km, 131avg HR + S&C

Thursday - Rest day

Friday - 55' Trails - 8Km, 6:55/Km, 149avg HR

Early morning visit to Cruagh woods. Got 2 laps done in the pitch black. Had my running vest with me which was full with everything I'll need for AON Pursuit. Going to try get 1-2 mountain/hilly runs each week with the pack on.

Saturday

80' easy - 13Km, 6:17/Km, 137avg HR

A nice easy run around the Phoenix Park on what was a lovely day. There were plenty of runners about, many of whom I assumed were getting their last LSR in prior to DCM next week.

Sunday - Unplanned rest day - A lot of stuff on so when it came around to the evening time, I wasn't feeling it so skipped the run.

Mileage for the Week - 33.5Km

Mileage for the Year - 1452Km

4 weeks until RTL - Always enjoy doing RTL and the hilly runs I use for prep for it. Will try cover as much of the route as possible over the coming weeks. Goal is to PB but will see what the conditions are like closer to the day.

Week of 23rd October

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:25/Km, 136avg HR + S&C

Nice easy run around Tymon park. S&C was late in the day after a hike with the boys around Cruagh wood.

Tuesday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:25/Km, 131avg HR + 16mins Zwift

Post school run drop, nothing noteworthy about it. Jumped on the stationary bike at lunch to see if I can get back into the swing of things there. Hoping to follow a very low volume training program on there to see if it will motivate me to keep going with it.

Wednesday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:24/Km, 125avg HR

Thursday - Rest day

Got physio as tibs were a little tight. I reckon this was from the Zwift session. Been fine since.

Friday - ~60 mins cycling

Between a few errands and collecting my beanie from DCM expo, there was no time for a run today so pushed the easy run until Saturday.

Saturday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:29/Km, 132avg HR

Youngest had GAA so I ran to/during/from to ensure I got this done.

Sunday - 90' easy-ish - 15Km, 5:58/Km, 140avg HR

Got out early for this so I could get down to support a few folks from around here at DCM. Plan was to cover a good chunk of the AON Pursuit route from Dublin Castle out to near home. Started fine but had some gastro issues around Rathmines. God bless McDs being open so early. Got back on the road and felt good.

I got to Bushy Park early as I wanted to get eyes on the elite field. Got to see Scullion powering along. Gave him some words of encouragement which I am going to claim helped him go from 7th there up to finish 3rd 😂 Twas not much longer before a few from these parts swung by and I handed over some gels/water etc. Helped out a few friends too. Everyone had great runs. Well done to all 👏

Mileage for the Week - 55Km

Mileage for the Year - 1507Km

3 weeks until RTL - First week of sessions coming up so looking forward to getting back to workouts. Body is feeling good. 3 of the 5 runs were done in non plated shoes and no issues to report. I can finally start working through all those pairs of Ghosts in the wardrobe. I didn't get enough hills in the easy runs this past week so going to get some done this week.

Week of 30th October

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:23/Km, 130avg HR + S&C

Same run around Tymon Park as last week, though had the boys in tow on their bikes. S&C when I got home.

Tuesday

20' easy, 20' @ HMP - 10", 20' easy - 10Km, 5:53/Km, 163avg HR

5:15, 5:25, 5:14, 5:17

Over to Bushy Park to get first post Chicago session done. Felt comfortable throughout.

Wednesday - 40' easy - 6Km, 6:24/Km, 136avg HR

This was an additional run I added to see if I can get back to a 6 day training week. Plan is to keep it easy and low volume for a few weeks to see how/if it affects the PF.

Thursday - 65' trails - 9.5Km, 6:54/Km, 151avg HR

Parked at Kilmashogue lane. Ran up towards Three Rock but turned off at about 2.5Km to head for Two Rock. Upon arriving there, I headed down towards Three Rock and did a single loop around it before heading back to the car. Wind was quite chilly. I was fully prepared with jacket/hat/gloves/snood and donned them as needed.

Friday - 120' easy - 19Km, 6:23/Km, 130avg HR

Busy day ahead on Saturday so got the long run out of the way on Friday.

Saturday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:27/Km, 140avg HR

Routine easy run including bushy park parkrun. Light rain, poodles and some mud along the course. #48 so I am hoping to to hit 50 before the end of the year.

Sunday - Rest

Junior parkrun tailwalking and not much else.

Mileage for the Week - 65Km

Mileage for the Year - 1572Km

2 weeks until RTL - Nice to be back doing light session work. Feeling ok after first 6 day running week since the start of the year. No PF issues after adding the extra day. Passed 10,000Km total KMs ran on Monday and should pass the 1,000 mile mark for 2023 this coming week.

A decent trek on Thursday covering some of the RTL route. Clear dry conditions up there on the day. It would be great to have those on race day. I have also booked in for the Drogheda Christmas 5Km which will round out the year. I haven't raced a 5Km outside of the Docklands 5Km, with both times being scorchers.

Week of 6th November

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:32/Km, 128avg HR

Down through Nutgrove, Churchtown, past the Russian embassy and back along the dodder. Calf was tight so took it very easy. Got it worked out by physio on Tuesday so all good now.

Tuesday - Friday

Man flu. No running.

Saturday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:25/Km, 131avg HR

Test run during the boys' GAA. Got around ok but a bit start/stop.

Sunday - Rest

Junior parkrun tailwalking in the rain.

Mileage for the Week - 17Km

Mileage for the Year - 1589Km

1 weeks until RTL - not a great running week but needed to rest to get rid of the head cold asap. Plenty of easy running in the run up to RTL this Saturday. Early indicators showing a potential wet and windy run.

Week of 13th November

Monday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:24/Km, 127avg HR

Busy week in work so didn't get out until late. Easy run down to KCR, over to Terenure, past Rathfarnham village and home.

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:25/Km, 135avg HR

Pretty much the same as Monday's but in reverse.

Thursday - 45' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 7.5Km, 6:13/Km, 144avg HR

First set of strides since January. First rep felt really sluggish but gradually go in to them. Felt great by the time the last rep came around.

Crossed 1,000 miles for the year during this run too 🙌

Friday - 35' easy - 5.5Km, 6:24/Km, 128avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 27Km

Mileage for the Year - 1616Km

1 sleep until RTL - 3rd time doing RTL. Such is my excitement for my race that my attire and running vest have been prepped for a few days now. I had a couple of goals in mind for this after a successful Chicago race. First was to go sub 1:10:00 and the next was for a top 100 finish. A 1:11:00 would have been a top 100 finish last year. I was ~3:30 off this year's goal time time last year so not a huge leap to make. Getting close to that goal entails an element of race craft by getting out front of the wave and avoiding getting caught up in the choke points. Fitness will play a part too. I have looked at a few people's strava who went sub 1:10:00 last year to see where I was making/losing time. I need to make much more of an effort on the uphills. The flats/downhills I was on par if not ahead of those who went ahead of my goal time.

They announced that there will be a couple of course adjustments too so not sure if it will be shorter/longer. The time off feet last week due to head cold wasn't ideal prep but hoping that it won't have too much of an effect tomorrow. The body is feeling ok now. Conditions are looking windy once you get out of the forest and start climbing towards Two Rock. I'm hoping that will be the only wind exposure I will have to deal with. Once we come down off Two Rock we should be sheltered for the remainder of the race 🤞Undecided if I will go in 2nd or 3rd wave tomorrow. Will probably chicken out and go 3rd wave. 😂

Run the Line - Race Report

My waves of choice were not starting until 10:30am or 10:40am so I took it easy that morning and arrived up to the even at about 10:00am. I didn't want to be hanging around too much in the wind getting cold. Stayed in the warmth of the car until about 10:20am and strolled down through the muddy car park to the information area. I asked about the route changes was informed that it was only the long course that changed. Happy knowing that I could compare this and last year's result. First of the short waves (Elite) went off at 10:30am and I decided to go to the front of 10:40 wave (Competitive).

0-2Km

I get off to a good start and keep the pace steady. The gravel path here is quite easy to run on, even with the changes in gradient. 4-5 lads pull ahead of me. The lungs are working very hard already. HR is red lining already and will remain that way for the rest of the race. We cross the metal bridge and turn towards the forest. There is plenty of rocks and roots that could catch you out if you are not paying attention. I would usually be in a pack here but going alone means I am unsure of how my pacing is and whether I have overcooked it too early. I may just have. 🤣 By the time we come out of the forest and onto the path leading to "The Foxes Climb" segment, it feels like my lungs are burning and my eyes are watering heavily. The few of us from the front of the Competitive wave encounter the tail end of the Elite wave. One of the reasons I went out front of my wave was to avoid congestion at the entrance to "The Foxes Climb". Whilst this has worked out perfectly, I may have misjudged how much breath I usually get back during this brief period of relaxation whilst waiting for people to climb over a piece of wood.

3-4Km

"The Foxes Climb" segment is particularly brutal underfoot. The rain last night has the ground very very slippy. I'm trying to keep an eye on where the rocks are without stumbling in to people ahead of me. When I get the chance I jump out to the left on to the walkway to avoid anymore slippery mud. Legs and lungs are burning as this is a steep steep climb. The wind is not helping matters either. I make a few small efforts to increase pace but if I keep it up I may very well DNF. We eventually reach Two Rock and there's still a bit of congestion. When we are through the worst of the mud and descending, I start to work my way through to try get a clear path. A lot of "on your left/right" being called and thankfully make it through unscathed. Wind still very much a factor here until you finish the descent and turn right. Zero wind now which means I'll need to adjust the pace to keep body temperature and HR under control. Path along here is in good condition. There are a lot of gaps to traverse and as I gather myself I begin work past more runners.

5-6Km

Continuing along the same path and more congestion beckons but it is quite narrow so I use this time to try settle in to a rhythm. As we come out on to the Wicklow Way, the DWMRT are dishing out water and jellies. I keep going to start another brief descent down towards the top of Ticknock car park. We are met with a sharp climb with gradients hitting 30%+. I stick my goal of making more of an efforts on the uphills. About halfway through here and the body is feeling tired. No idea if my goal time/place are achievable as there are two more sharp climbs to come.

7-8Km

As this hill starts to even out I get back into a light jog before we descend part of the MTB "Boneshaker" course. About the 7Km mark I catch my foot on a stone/root and almost faceplant into some mud. Somehow stay on my feet and keep descending. It's likely that this part of the course is why I have DOMS all over my back/neck. The rocky descents are brutal on the body when moving over them at pace. The penultimate climb is another test of how much I want those PBs. I do a mix of hike/jog up this giving myself targets of log stacks or rocks to run between. Finally at the top to be greeted by more DWMRT volunteers. We descent into another forest in prep for the final climb.

9-10Km

Looking at the watch and what is left, I take it that any hope of a PB is gone. I'm fine with it. The body is well and truly fubar at this stage. In the approach to the final climb, I have another close call with a face plant but luckily stay on my feet again. The last climb is the most brutal of them all. Slippy and steep. Calves and lungs are burning once again. The final ascent requires hands on the ground to balance and navigate. Out on to the Dublin Mountain Way path which feels flat though is still ascending. Single digit gradients are providing much relief to legs and lungs.

Finish

The end of the 10th Km marks the start of the descent in to the finish line. Initial part is through the forest with roots and rocks to be wary of. I don't feel like I've any energy to pick up the pace. I'm trying to use gravity to my advantage but I can't add anymore effort right now. Out of the main forest and we're running alongside the main path that The Gaps buses bring MTBers up to the mountain top. I can see people ahead but there's not a hope of me catching them anytime soon. Over the metal bridge and even this little ascent is tough going. We're out in the open now and I'm trying to up the pace a smidge. Arms/legs are pumping like mad. There's a couple of S turns to navigate at the very end. Running on the gravel paths is making it tough so I hop on to the grass to see if it makes it easier. Overtake a couple of people and get over the line. Drop to all fours and I am spent. Takes me almost a minute to gather myself. I grab my finishers buff and t-shirt and then go for the soup. I didn't hang around much longer as I needed to get home.

Result - 1:13:00

30" PB 🙌

Sub 1:10:00

Top 100

Overall I am happy with how it went. The sub 1:10:00 was never a runner. I knew this after the first few Km. Whilst my race strategy worked out, I'm undecided if it was optimal. The usual congestion I experience gives the legs/lungs a break and I am able to open the legs up a little more on the descents. The extra effort on the ascents didn't make it possible this time out. At the moment, next year's race plans won't have this on the calendar. If/when I do go again in this race, I will be moving up to the first wave.

The body is really feeling it today. Every muscle in my legs and back are filled with DOMS. It is going to take a few days to recover. A week of very easy to easy running ahead. Next up is Jingle Bells which will be an easy run with family and then Drogheda 5Km which I will be racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I love that race (still hard but more relaxed at the back of the pack!). Do you think the extra effort on the uphill actually cost you time or would you do that again? I have some friends that are 100% certain walking the uphills is the best strategy in these events. Well done on the PB and the top 100!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Might have to register for next year, sounds like a fantastic event, great report 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Fair play @py. You seem to be very well versed in the route, and got a cracking result. I done the long course, and I was soooo looking forward to the soup for the last few km but by the time I got back, it was all gone :-(

On the sharp ascents I was definitely feeling it in the legs compared to last year. Last year when walking, upon reaching the summit of those climbs I felt I was able to pick up the pace straight away. This year, certainly on two of them it took a bit longer to get going at the top. Looking back on last year though, I had more than double the metres ascended in my legs when compared to this year so the fitness/strength levels for this year were likely the limiting factor.

It is a really enjoyable event, whether you are up front, mid pack or at the back. The hills are the same for everyone 😆It will likely open up entries for next year very soon so worthwhile keeping an eye out for it. It always sells out too.

Thanks. I live close enough that I can go up when I get a chance. It is a great area to hike/run in, even when not in a race. When racing you are mostly eyes down so if on an easy run or a hike you can take in more of the scenery. I have not been brave enough to go for the long route as of yet. Autumn marathoning always seems to put me off but perhaps one year I will make it a main race to train for. Hope you are recovering well after the race.

Week of 20th November

Monday - 35' easy - 5Km, 6:34/Km, 127avg HR

Body was still sore after RTL. Left it until the evening time to get out for this. Felt much better afterwards.

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:26/Km, 130avg HR

The body still coming around to normality. Took it easy along the Dodder Park pathway.

Wednesday - 55' easy with 5 * 20" strides - 9Km, 6:16/Km, 134avg HR

Legs a little tired. Strides felt good. Along the Dodder Park pathway once again.

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 90' easy - 14Km, 6:27/Km, 130avg HR

Enjoyable long run through Ballinteer, Dundrum & Churchtown. A small amount of Christmas decorations about the place.

Saturday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:27/Km, 132avg HR

Arrived in to Lisbon the night before. Had loosely planned out a route along the seafront. I went east 5Km and returned the same way. After some sightseeing on Sunday, I should have gone west. It would have been a much nicer run. Nice to get a run in another city/country though.

Sunday - Rest - recovery after previous night's drinks and then more day drinking was done. Good to let the hair down every once in a while.

Mileage for the Week - 45Km

Mileage for the Year - 1673Km

No niggles/injuries to report after RTL. I will be at Jingle Bells this coming Saturday with the Mrs and eldest lad. I'll be with the eldest lad and we'll see how he goes. He surprised me last year with a 27:xx so there may be another PB ahead. Mrs first 5Km mass participant event in a long time so hoping she enjoys it.

Few weeks to get training in the legs before Drogheda 5Km. I should have some nice new race shoes to run out in for it after splurging over the past week 🙈

Week of 27th November

Monday/Tuesday - Rest

Travelled home from Lisbon on Monday and straight into work. Have had a knot in my upper back the past few weeks and it got worse over the weekend. Very uncomfortable now. Got to physio on Tuesday which has eased it. A follow up next week.

Wednesday - 50' easy - 8Km, 6:29/Km, 125avg HR

Back feeling ok. Good to get out for some fresh air.

Thursday - Unplanned rest day

Friday - 30' easy, 30' @ 10 mile, 30' easy - 15Km, 5:55/Km, 144avg HR

Over to Tymon Park for this.

10 mile interval: 5:22, 5:23, 5:24, 5:07, 5:04, 5:04 - unsure what the deal is with the quicker Kms. Didn't feel like I upped the pace a good bit and there was only part of it downhill. Need to keep a closer eye when doing sessions.

Saturday - Unplanned rest day

I was due to run Jingle Bells but childcare fell through. I brought the youngest to cheer on mammy and his older brother. We positioned ourselves right on the finish line. They had a great time and the Mrs ran a PB. I caught sight of a few from these parts. Looks like everyone had a great run on the day.

Sunday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:26/Km, 133avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 33Km

Mileage for the Year - 1706Km

An unproductive running week. Life/work were both very busy this week. This is the last thing I needed after shoving pastel de natas in to my face all weekend in Lisbon. I think there's going to be more of the same this week... the life/work stuff, not the pastels. My back is feeling much better though I am looking to get it fully resolved in Wednesday's physio session.

No S&C/Cycling since prior to RTL. Need to get back on top of this.

Art O'Neill Pursuit information pack came through yesterday evening. Looking forward to racing this. I was supposed to be getting out for more hills but haven't had the chance.

The eldest lad and I are close to parkrun milestones. We are hoping to

2 weeks until Christmas 5K - I am looking forward to this and not looking forward to this. It'll be nice to see where fitness is and not nice due to the hurt that a 5K brings. I have a brand new pair of Endorphin Pros to race in so that is a positive. Also picked up Endorphin Speed 3 * 2 and Reebok Floatride Symmetros 2.5. I have the makings of a new bed with all the shoe boxes for when she kicks me out 🙈

Week of 4th December

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:32/Km, 123avg HR

Tuesday - 20' easy, (5' @ 5 mile, 2' recovery) * 5 - 12.5Km, 5:55Km, 149avg HR

A little unsure on what pace to run these at so I got a little quicker over the duration of the session. I got over to Marlay to get these done on the loop in front of the main house.

5:17, 5:16, 5:04, 5:08, 4:58

Wednesday - Rest

Follow up with physio on back issue. All good now.

Thursday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:26/Km, 141avg HR

Friday - 20' easy, (1' @ 5Km, 1' easy), 20' easy - 12Km, 5:49/Km, 142avg HR

4:44, 4:39, 4:25, 4:33, 4:21, 4:27, 4:27, 4:24, 4:15, 4:27, 4:25, 4:23, 4:15, 4:30, 4:23

Over to Knocklyon park. I was getting hit with a sidewind for all of these. Felt ok throughout. Will see how body is feeling next week at the 5Km. Took the Endorphin Pro 3s out for this and they felt good at that pace.

Saturday - St Anne's parkrun- 27:22 - 5:25/Km, 146avg HR

Paced the eldest lad to a small PB in very windy conditions. The wind likely kept him from a 26:xx but he was delighted nonetheless. We're one short of our 50/10 milestones so hopefully get that sorted next week.

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 50Km

Mileage for the Year - 1756Km

A good week. Back is feeling good after the follow up physio session. No S&C or cycling but should be able to get back into both after 5Km race next week. Small twinge in the PF area during the but seems ok not. I'll monitor it closely.

1 weeks until Christmas 5K - looking forward to the 5Km next week. It'll give me a good idea of where my fitness is for the shorter distances as I head into next year with a view to doing 1/2 marathons or shorter. Fingers crossed for good race conditions.

Week of 11th December

Monday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:17/Km, 127avg HR

Along the Dodder Park pathway.

Tuesday - 20' easy, (45" @ 5K, 1'15" recovery) * 8, 20' easy - 9Km, 6:07Km, 135avg HR

4:24, 4:33, 4:19, 4:12, 4:17, 4:11, 4:18, 4:18

Same location as last week's 1' reps. No sidewind this time which was great. Felt good throughout.

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - 45' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 138avg HR

Along the Dodder Park pathway again.

Friday - 45' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 12Km, 5:49/Km, 142avg HR

Saturday - Tymon parkrun - 21:18 - 4:13/Km, 180avg HR

A few personal things popped up so I was going to have to skip Sunday's 5Km race in Drogheda. I was planning on running my 50th parkrun on the Saturday so I decided to try an all out effort. I needed to keep it close to home and had a choice of Tymon, Dodder Park, Marlay and Bushy. I felt Tymon would be the best option as it is a small enough field and most importantly a straightforward route, even if it there is a small bit of elevation in it. The others have a lot of turns in them. We arrived there at about 9:10. I got a 10 minute warm up with some strides done around the lake. Got up the front to start. Usually a small field at Tymon so I didn't want to have to waste time weaving around joggers/walkers.

Current PB was 22:31 and the goal was to come in low 22 minutes.

1st Km - 4:02

We get the starting shout and we're off to a quick (for me) starting pace. Trying to stay relaxed and in a rhythm before we start ascending near the end of this Km. A group of 6/7 runners are out front and I slowly drift off the back as they head off for sub 20 finishes. Feeling comfortable right now. Been ignoring the watch for the most part. The Km lap alert pops up and I'm way ahead of target pace. This could end very badly. 😬

2nd Km - 4:20

The long drag to the halfway mark of the lap continues and pace slows a little. Still way ahead of time. Legs and aerobic system feeling good. I've been passed by another runner at this stage but just focusing on a consistent effort. I took HR data field off the screen before starting. I can only guess that HR is sky high going up this drag. At the top there's a turning point and this brings a sense of relief as I know it's flat/downhill for a while. Km alert pings and I feel that there's a big PB on.

3rd Km - 3:59

Still downhill so cruising easily enough. As we turn at the start/finish line, another runner passes me. I try keep within 10-15 feet of him until we crossover the bridge. The descent has flattered the time for this Km but I'm happy out with where I'm at in terms of time and how I'm feeling.

4th Km - 4:26

The long drag begins and is tough AF. I'm trying not to blow up aerobically whilst keeping my Km time with a 4 being the first number. Any thought of catching those who passed me is gone. The lungs are burning. Mental maths of estimated finish time and PB is beyond me during this Km. 4th Km alert pings as I'm about to reach the top and turn for home.

5th Km - 4:14

Downhill from here. The lungs are at capacity and won't process any more oxygen. Trying my best to pick up the pace and stretch the legs out. PB is on. It's going to be a 21 in front. Enjoying the downhill. Legs are almost done. Come down past the lake and approach the playground to find the Mrs and youngest lad cheering me on. Turn the corner and cross the line. Finish in 10th with a 1:13 PB.

Sunday - Rest - The wind out there today would not have been great for a PB.

Mileage for the Week - 38Km

Mileage for the Year - 1794Km

Delighted with the result. A nice way to mark my 50th parkrun. I needed a confidence boost after the injury troubles earlier in the year. A great way to round out the year. Doms in the quads and hamstrings today.

Looking forward to the AON pursuit in early January. I'll need to get some hills in the legs prior to then and sort out mandatory race pack for the training runs too. Just need to sort the high viz vest for that. I have everything else on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Congratulation on the massive PB. Are you doing any hills in the 400s/1 reps'? Also when I was first going for the 20:00 5K I took Thursday and Friday off completely, did the trick for me. Your not far off.

I have been doing all the reps on the flat for now. That might change over the coming weeks as I prep for the AON pursuit which has plenty of elevation at the tail end.

• Advertisement

Well done on the PB, delighted for you😊

Advertisement