Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They’ll accept equity for the (notional) deposit (as in you’ll get mortgage approval) but you’ll need cash for the booking deposit and later when contracts are exchanged. For us last year it was €8k booking deposit and the remainder of 10% when contracts exchanged

We got a short term loan from a relative for the remainder bit (had the 8k saved) and paid her back when the two houses (buying and selling) completed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to do a two-sided analysis; not just think of your own position. This has not been part of the Law Society’s standard contract for the very good reason that an exchange should bind both purchase and seller with the cost being the deposit. This has crept in over the past few years due to a number of failed drawdowns - many of which I suspect are related to solicitors who permitted their purchaser to exchange before they were in a position to satisfy lending criteria.

I sold earlier this year and ultimately agreed to a very restricted version of this clause only after being satisfied that necessary applications and documents had been made/sent. In that case the buyer had chosen, after obtaining approval in principal, to seek a loan from a different institution. Ultimately he chose to go with the first one as it turned out to be cheaper in light of rising rates. In the particular circumstances, the clause which was sought would have allowed him to drop out if the second said “no” even if the first was still available.

purchases/sales go easiest when all

parties are ready for the transaction at time of exchange. If the offer of finance is so conditional as to need this clause the. The purchaser is realistically unready for exchange. Getting the clause out in just allows the purchaser’s solicitor to continually deferring the actual work in the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

They agreed to the clause after some back and forth however they added a clause that they can pull out after X amount of time and return the house to the market if I have not successfully drawn down the mortgage. So yes this situation keeps the pressure on me and means if myself / the solicitor drag out the process too long they have an opt out. Ultimately they want to sell the house ASAP and I want to get into it as ASAP so hopefully it all works out. I don't expect there to be any big issues at drawdown of the mortgage but we will wait and see. I know the above means the contract isn't as secure as a typical one would be but its dragging on way too long now just want to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There’s essentially no point in exchanging much in advance of expected completion in those circumstances. I’m just increases the potential for a costly failed sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Hey all, I’m looking to drawdown mortgage in the next few weeks. I just got home insurance with a start date of January 1st because realistically I won’t be moving in until January.

However if I want to draw down in December, does the policy need to start December 1st to be considered valid or does that not matter?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisprocessisnuts

Hi

wondering if anyone can shed any light.

I placed an offer on a house and the EA came back to say they will ask the ‘company’. Turns out the ‘company’ is in fund mgt. they refused the offer. There is no other offer in only ours and it has been on the market a while.

has anyone any experience of these companies? We thought we were dealing with a family so the usual negotiation

thanks in advance

Post edited by thisprocessisnuts on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone drawdown a mortgage recently with PTSB ? How long did it take from the solicitor requesting funds to the money being released to the solicitor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Noob5000

Hello all, went sale agreed on a house a few weeks ago, after being outbid on six previous properties. House needs work, but we've done up an old property before, so not too put off by the shonky extension (built without PP but long enough ago to be low risk) or cosmetic work needed inside. More apprehensive about the overhanging eave from next door neighbour with no permission, no easement in place etc. and a vague, hand-waving assurance from the vendor that it's never been a problem up to now, the fact that the next door neighbour bought a small triangular patch of land that is still included in the garden of the house we plan to buy, and their refusal to fix the broken boundary fence on the back garden 'because there's a tree stump in the way'. One issue I could possibly make peace with, but three boundary issues feels like a lot to take on.

I feel the vendor is being far too dismissive about issues that could come back to bite us in the future. And the icing on the cake - we're chain free, and the estate agent assured us they were good to go and would move in with parents, etc, wanted to get out of the city, then they put in a clause about delaying completion of sale until they find a property and no, they're not prepared to rethink that. Though they did insert a penalty clause charging 8% interest if we hold up the sale for any reason.

I know there's always going to be something, and I still love the house, the neighbourhood, and the garden, and there's very little else on the market at the moment. Not looking to beat the market, or wait for a price drop that may or may not come in the new year. I just want them to sort out the boundary issues and move out!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭frank730

Home insurance and mortgage protection must start before your drawdown date

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Noon5000 I’d be very worried about neighbour issues, if they aren’t an issue why didn’t vendor sort it. You will be living beside these people. They could be kranky. Could you knock into them and suss them out.

Pc7 - that's my concern as well. The chunk of the garden that belongs to next door neighbour wasn't flagged up when we viewed. Refusing the fix the fence for the back boundary is odd - would you really jeopardise a sale by refusing such an uncontroversial request? When we sold our own house, we painted our front railing, checked the condition of fences with our (lovely) neighbours on either side, and had indemnity insurance in place for an unauthorised chimney breast removal from the 1970s.

I'm also starting to think that while we are serious about buying, they are not serious about selling. Either delaying things a bit while they look for a new place of their own, or wondering if they'd get an even higher price in the Spring. I've already spent a few grand on solicitors fees and the survey, but if this is going to drag on indefinitely, maybe I'll cut my losses. To be honest, I can't see another buyer shrugging off the boundary issues that easily either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I would run if I was you. And no, the vendor won't get a higher price in the spring.

Border issues can be painful. The vendor sounds arrogant.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭DataDude

Absolutely no chance they’ll let you drawdown without active home insurance. They’re very strict on this.

Id strongly suggest bringing the home insurance cover forward. Worst case scenario you pay a few quid for home insurance before you own it. If your drawdown got delayed because of this and then rates go up, you could cost yourself thousands. It’s really not worth the risk.

We ended up insuring the house we bought for about 3 months before we actually closed. But in the grand scheme of buying a house, who cares!

Thanks, @herbalplants. Writing to our solicitor now, explaining that boundary issues need to be rectified or we can't proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Any opinions on getting an electrician and plumber out to check the house before stuff is finalized, valuation done and general/structural survey getting done tomorrow. Second hand house built early 80s maybe late 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Hi folks,

We went sale agreed on our own house 5 weeks ago today - a first time buyer with a very good offer. 4 weeks ago our EA told us the buyer is looking for a better deal on their mortgage (they had AIP with Finance Ireland who increased their rates to over 5% in October, so it's understandable). The buyer had their survey done 2 weeks ago, but we still haven't had their valuation done for their new bank.

Our EA told us last Monday that the buyer's valuation had been ordered, but we still have not received the date/time. Spoke to our EA this morning who still has no further update. We're pretty frustrated at this and are concerned that the buyer is having trouble getting another mortgage approval.

Has anyone had a valuation take this long? On the house we are buying ours was done 4 working days after we ordered it.

I've been nervous since I heard their AIP was with Finance Ireland and not with a mainstream bank (maybe an unusual financial setup or something?).

I realise we're probably just being impatient, but we are getting nervous as the buyer is not far on after 5 weeks and afraid we'll lose the new house that we are sale agreed on.... any thoughts would be helpful. How long should we give them before looking for another buyer? Am I just being too impatient?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭COH

Currently on the other side of the fence scrambling for an alternative lender after Finance Irelands rate increases after going sale agreed on a place.

Your buyers are probably tearing their hair out with stress - if you can stick with them do, it would be a good thing to do. Things are moving slow across the board

Thank you, and sorry to hear you're on the other side of this.The rate increases are making an already stressful process more stressful! I'd really rather not change buyer. We have the sellers of our new house putting us under pressure (the joys of a chain!).

Once we get a date for their valuation we'll feel much better cos at least they will be closer to having their approval.

I think hearing they were with Finance Ireland also unnerved me - do you mind me asking why you had gone with them initially? Were they cheaper than mainstream banks before their huge rate increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭COH

We were advised by our broker that of the available lenders FI were most likely to offer the most as I am self employed.

• Advertisement

Thanks COH. That makes sense. Hope you get sorted with a new lender, best of luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing to be put off by, brokers recommended them a lot. Fiance Ireland were pretty cheap (and had really long fixed mortgages), so were ICS and Avant. However 2 of those rose really quickly in rates, screwing people over and the last is really picky. Apart from the rates there is also exception availability, I went with ICS as they were low rate (1.95) and got me a 4.5x exception fast. However they rose rates 3 or 4 times by the time my purchase went through now and as it is the end of the year there were no banks with exceptions left so got screwed over. They are also gone up to >5% now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Moved in with parents 3 weeks ago. Waiting on probate to be granted for 19 weeks now.

Haven't signed the contract for the purchase yet as who knows what the interest rate will be.

Thinking of pulling the plug and moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

As well as the lower rate, a lot of public sector applicants would also use FI and ICS as they allow a loan amount based on 2 points up the payscale without applying for an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cork2021

for the sellers in this chat, my wife and I will be (hopefully) putting our house up for sale early in the new year. How have ye found it lately especially with interest rates going up etc. I know house prices haven’t fallen so hopefully that stays steady.

in my area there’s still a lack of houses for sale and absolutely none to rent in the Kanturk/Mallow area of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think you may have missed the boat on this, keep an eye on the ECB rate change this month most are speculating .75% again. I think if the increases in interest rates keep coming into next year the surge of demand that the new ECB lending rules should of brought will be quelled and I think we will see a recession hitting hard at the start of next year when people have to start paying for black friday deals and the xmas excess that they slapped on their credit card. To use an analogy - we are in the last orders from the bar territory, drunk and even do we have to get up for work the next morning the "feck it" attitude kicks in and last orders sure lets have 3 pints and throw in a whiskey there pal come the next morning or in the case of spend in January a lot of people are going to be feeling the pain.

I see that as well, but looking locally and with the new lending rules for first time buyers my house valuation should be okay. Personally this is us hoping to make 100% profit on the house, clear our car loans etc, already an agreement with my wife’s parents that we can move in if no rental property is available, and at that we wouldn’t be in a rush to sell, and if the market completely goes tits up we just call a halt to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well at least you have a solid plan. From what I can see a lot of banks have held off putting up interest rates and they are starting to up their rates only recently and as ECB rates tick up so will bank mortgage rates. There is going to be a tidal wave of emigration outwards next year as younger people have had enough of not being able to rent or buy. So its hard to judge but the overlining issues I see is someone buying a house now has to deal with cost of living, cost of energy, higher interest rates as well as a recession that no matter how loud the government bang the drum of we wont be hitting one its as plain as the nose on every ones face Ireland will be in a recession next year prices on everything have gone too high and wages have not gone up anywhere near to affording a lot of day to day items and it will shut the door firmly on a very high % owning their own home for a good while longer. What you have going for you is lack of supply and the upping of the lending rules to 4 times a salary and the very high level of rents. You might be quids in selling and then waiting 12/24 months before buying again if you get on well with the wife's parents (and there is feck all rentals out there at the moment and this is not going to change anytime soon) and it does not drive you bonkers being there. Good luck with it and let us all know how things are going.

Yip I agree with what you’re saying, the risk levels will increase of course but I suppose I’ll have my back up if needed. I get on fierce well with the in laws but of course that’s in small doses and that I can spiral into us becoming a dose. But look I’d love to say 12 months is the max we’d be staying at my in laws as well… I’ll 100% keep ye updated.

• Advertisement

Advertisement