Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Completely finished last week. The solicitor took their sweet time transferring the money over but I half expected that from dealing with them in the past.

August

Week 1 - Contacted EA. Met at property

Week 2 - First viewing. Contacted solicitor (they requested title deeds) BER assessment completed

Week 3 - Second viewing

Week 4 - Sale agreed and deposit paid

September

Week 1 - House surveyed

Week 2 - Title deeds received by solicitor. Old works in house needed to be signed off by engineer

Week 3 - Engineer came out and signed off works

Week 4 - Solicitor sent contracts

October

Week 1 -

Week 2 - EA requested contents remaining at property

Week 3 - Solicitor answering pre-contract queries

Week 4 - Valuation. Given closing date

November

Week 1 -

Week 2 - Contracts Signed

Week 3 - House cleared out

Week 4 - Closed, funds received by solicitor

December

Week 1 - Deposit received from EA

Week 2 - Solicitor cleared mortgage

Week 3 - Solicitor sent net proceeds of sale

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

looks like funds will be transferred before xmas........has been a journey but contracts were signed this week and all should be wrapped up before '23.......one piece of advice for any landlords sellon up: paying an extra tracker mortgage when rates are rising is no joke,but if we hadn't vacated the property before hitting the market we'd now be stuck with it!..............delighted to get out of the letting game intact 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Cheers,

Sale had closed today,both EA and legal teams went above &

beyond to get new owners in on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Got keys to our place on Tuesday.

Started the sale in May. Went with Haven as I needed an exemption.

Beggars can't be choosers, but by god I wish I could have chosen someone else. They were useless.

12weeks to get AIP, 6 weeks to get loan approvals, and an interest rate rise at the end of it all. Deadlines came and went. They requested more forms twice as my bank statement went out of date since it took them so long.

Somehow the final loan offer was set up for staged payments, even though they were well aware I was buying a new build. A new offer had to be drafted and I lost a week, meaning my draw down date was after the interest rate rise. My broker was absolutely fantastic throughout though, and I managed to get the lower rate in the end.

Honestly I feel taken advantage of every step of the way. The EA, the builder, the bank, the kitchen fitter, the engineer. Everyone knows they'll get paid regardless, no matter if they do a good job, bad job or no job at all. There was no point where I was confident I could hand off any responsibility to anyone. Everybody with the exception of my broker and solicitor needed to be chased and chased to get things done properly and on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Good luck Padre Pio, hope you have a great new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

At what stage of the process are people asking about existing furniture in the house and if its staying or the previous owners are taking it with them etc? Do you always pay for the tables/chairs/beds/white goods in the kitchen etc?

id imagine after contracts go to

purchasers solicitor and they're

returned to vendors for clarification....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭This is it

I asked when I put in our initial bid and was told all furniture would be gone but white goods staying. I've no idea if that's standard or not but no harm asking at the start/early on

• Advertisement

Solicitors will approach you on the subject. Usually white goods come with the house. Should be stated in the initial ad for selling. The other furniture, some sellers like me would have offered them for free and you get asked through the solicitors. Other sellers would look for money for the furniture. Depends.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Okay thanks, Im sale agreed on a place atm in an estate, estate agent says they've downsized to a holiday home in Kerry or Clare or somewhere and their sons are handling the sale but the few times Ive borrowed the key from the agents and gone in there I get the impression they're deceased or at least in a home, the surveyor said the same thing, coats hanging on the backs of doors, awards on the mantlepiece, clothes in the wardrobes, freezer full of food, lawnmower and tools in the shed etc but a general vibe that all that stuff has been sitting like that for a couple of years judging by the layer of dust and the state of the garden when they were obviously big gardeners.

The neighbours dont know anything either, one auld lad a couple of doors down said he'd had 3 short conversations with them in 40 years. EA has a very "who cares?" type of attitude about it but I suppose Ill find out from my solicitor in the new year, Id like to take the whole thing as is and just skip half of it and deep clean the rest leaving me with a very ready to move in house, it would save a good few grand Id say.

Oh sounds like you are right, doesn't seem like they have downsized if all that stuff is there. Still you can demand the house is empty before you move in.

On the other side, it sounds you could well use some of items. It wouldn't surprise me if the son will let you have them for free and he will be delighted as it saves him the hassle of removing it.

Definitely ask again but not through the estate agent but through solicitors.

Living the life

this happened with me and have heard, anecdotally, that is not that rare. The agent also had a ‘who cares’ attitude. The vendors were elderly and had downsized to live permanently in their holiday home. But given that the holiday home to which they were downsizing was already completely furnished and lived in, they had no need for anything in the main house. They basically used their sale to get rid of everything they had no use for….furniture, pots and pans, clothes, all sorts of stuff. They just didn’t care given their stage in life.

If the children also have fully furnished homes then they have no need for anything either and are probably too busy to organise a house clearance. I know I would be.

they literally left the house as if they had just gone out for a walk and not come back. They washed up and that’s about all they did. Was a pain clearing a lot of the stuff, but there were mowers and tools that were handy, and I made about 3 grand, net, after selling stuff, giving stuff away, clearing the rest, and deep cleaning.

so I wouldn’t necessarily assume they’re in a home or deceased. We all just have a lot of stuff these days and this could have been the easiest way to get rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

After following this thread for about 4 years, I can finally say that I've bought a house! Closed a few days before Christmas, but as I'm away visiting family for Christmas I'll pick up my keys early January.

Honestly everything went pretty quickly.

Timeline:

• It's a New Build, went sale agreed first week of October (came off a cancellation list). My AIP had expired at this point, but got new AIP with BOI, including an exemption, in less than 2 weeks (my neighbour works for them and having that inside person makes a world of difference).
    • Signed contract mid November. Mortgage was drawn down by December 6th. Deadline was December 9th before the interest rate went up, and that was a bit more challenging as the bank kept saying my solicitor hadn't sent them documents which she did. But my solicitor was very responsive and we were able to get the draw down on time. My solicitor was worth her weight in gold! She chased everyone down.
    • Snagged on December 2nd. De-snagged on December 14th and then again after a few things were missed on the 16th. At that point everything was completed, and my solicitor closed the sale right before Christmas.

Can't wait to move in now in January! Good luck to everyone trying to buy a house next year.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Probably a bit of a question fueled by overthinking but - I'm closing in 10 days. Request for specific drawdown date has been accepted by the lender from my solicitor and all. At this stage is it likely I'll need to provide any more statements for review?

I ask as the house I'm moving into hasn't got anything bar some white goods and I was hoping to have essentials I don't already own like a bed, kitchen table and a couple of cabinets ordered and arranged to be delivered shortly after getting the keys.

I've already paid deposit and fees etc so my statements are going to look different but if I can air on the side of caution I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Would love some insights into a situation I've found myself in.

I went sale agreed mid july 2022 and since then, I've got almost no communication without being prompted. We've no contracts, no timeline, no names of seller solicitors, just an EA telling us that the hold up was caused by a signatures issue, or a mapping issue or as of the end of november, the map being with the land registry and submitted by the solicitors trying to get a favour.

We've only 8 weeks left on our current lease (which was almost 8 months after we went sale agreed so we thought we had loads of time) so we're now starting to panic a bit. Our solicitor has gone quiet also, so I'm trying to find alternative options on what I can do to chase this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

You need to be very pushy with both your own solicitor and the EA, asking them what is the current situation re contracts and what can be done to speed things up. Keep on calling until you get answers, and be firm with the EA that the details of the seller's solicitor need to be provided to your own ASAP. It is actually mad that your own solicitor isn't in contact with the other side after all this time, they've let you down a bit by not pushing this with the EA themselves. Don't bother emailing, only call. At the end of our most recent transaction, we resorted to threatening to 'drop in' to our solicitor's office whenever we didn't get a prompt call back, it usually worked to focus his mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Very interesting to see a timeline like this, food for thought when I put my house up for sale this year. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

New year

same old story… still rocking that caretakers arrangement. Glad we didn’t agree to even a nominal rent

meanwhile the solicitor has our cash. The sellers seem to be happy to wait… clearly getting the money isn’t a priority. I believe that they have sorted the PPS number and now « just » need to pay up the LPT and any fines, interest etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

We were advised not to bother as it’s location and size not decor that sell a place. Clean and tidy is enough. Some places we looked at weren’t even clean, I mean basics.. flush the bloody loo… but we were focussed on what we could do to the place and where it was. Some buyers won’t be able to see past dated decor etc but they’ll be looking at new show houses not fixer-uppers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So our funds got released by the bank pretty much first working day of the year paid the remaining balance off to the solicitor all done on our end thinking we would be closing 2nd/3rd week of Jan like was mentioned to us....

Nope turns out vendor ain't arsed moving till Feb. Now we have to sit and wait and see if they can pack up quicker funny feeling they won't 😏

Post edited by KillerShamrock on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnholyBitchYunalesca

It's so frustrating that Ireland doesn't have the same protection for buyers that other European countries do.

Venting my frustration to German colleagues, they couldn't understand how there's no 'date' in the signed contracts that the vendor has to be gone by or the developer has to deliver by. The Netherlands is the same, not sure how many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Gone sale agreed on a duplex apartment, probably paid a little too much but avoided any potential bidding war and the seller wants it offloaded asap. Its in a very good location so I hope it will hold its value relatively well regardless of any downturn.

We're highest bid on a property at the moment, just a few k over asking. One other bidder and they're viewing again tomorrow. Thinking to go in with a larger increase, say 5k, to try knock them off it and let them have it if they bid again.

First time buyer so I've no idea what strategy should be used, or just keep incrementing 1k until we hit our max for the property...

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

We’re the total opposite, our buyers have demanded we’re out and house is empty the day before they transfer funds…they want a final viewing before their solicitor sends the funds to ours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Don't see how they can demand that cause till you have the funds it's your house. Kinda agree with a final viewing before funds are transferred though just to make sure it's not been completely destroyed/gutted and what was said is getting left is left while there ain't a whole load of crap left for them to deal with, not saying you are gonna do it but I'm sure it does happen.

Yep, seems reasonable and a good idea. I'll definitely ask for a final viewing the day before funds are transferred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Oh I agree with a final viewing… but it’s the fact that they’ve said they won’t transfer funds until the house is empty… it’s leaving me with having to store everything for a night and move it again after I get my keys and needing to find somewhere to stay with the dog for a night or two

Advertisement