Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I’ve noticed this happens at times also. I go to the Apple TV Home Screen , settings and restart …saves unplugging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all,

Had just signed up to another year with vodafone BB and TV over copper when the Eir rep came calling and said Fibre was now available in the locality and showed us some good deals. I had signed up for 65 a month for 12 months - same as last year. Based on that hadn't looked at switching.

We will need the fibre brought into the house from the footpath.

Apologies this is a question containing a TV an network angle.

Now Vodafone have advised they are increasing by €5 a month again to 70 bucks. Based on what I've seen I can get 500Mb + TV for 24 months for less than 50 bucks a month for two years. Just a couple of queries.

After the two years are up are you tied into Eir for a length of time as I note the price goes up a good bit? (assume it can be negotiated)

Her self uses the record function a lot on the vodafone box and records from RTE and ITV/UTV mostly. Based on earlier posts here I see that recording not possible on RTE but you can use the player. Any ideas with UTV? Whats the deal there?

She would record a good bit of stuff, soaps as well etc.

The WiFi signal using the default hardware provided - whats it like generally? Standard 2 storey 4 bed here so not a major coverage area needed.

Finally, are the DNS servers that get pushed out via DHCP configurable? Assuming one wanted to use OpenDNS or similiar.

Any advice appreciated - have a few days to think and act here.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You are not tied into Eir after your contract period is up. I renegotiate each year, and I find that Eir are always willing to renew the TV & mobile discounts if you sign for another contract period. However, I haven't been able to get the full discount on the basic broadband at renewal - but their TV & mobile deals are so competitive that I have found it is not worth considering changing. Their mobile(€9.99pm) and TV(€9.99pm) services are also considerably more innovative than the competition. The Apple 4K TV boxes are proper IPTV streaming boxes that will run all your other apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, RTE Player etc), and they work very well over WiFi, so no need for wiring. Another very nice feature that Eir don't advertise is that you can do multi-room without paying any additional monthly fee if you buy your own additional boxes. You can buy Apple TV boxes new, or second-hand. Eir actually sell refurbished units for €79.99, which are very competitive.

Regarding recording - it is getting a little complicated. However, all the other operators are likely to experience the same issues if they migrate to next-gen boxes with cloud recording, similar to Eir TV or Sky Glass. The TV providers are seeking to control the advertising delivered to customers. The old legacy boxes with mechanical disks are being phased out in favour of cloud recording and players, which means you can't skip adverts.

RTE don't allow cloud-recording. As you say, this isn't a big issue because you can use the player. Eir also offer "Catch-up" playback directly from their programme guide, and this works for most RTE home produced content. The same applies to Virgin Media, who also have their own player.

UTV is not officially available in ROI, because the rights to much of the programme content is owned by Virgin Media. You can only get UTV with recording by installing your own free-to-air dish with a disk-drive on the TV box.

BBC do allow recording - this is important because their i-Player is not officially available in ROI. Their recording works very well on Eir TV. Channel 4 and their suite of channels are available on their own player, and they also support recording.

Eir TV works really well over WiFi - but you need strong WiFi to support good quality TV - best to use 5GHz, and have a mesh system with several access points, so that you always have an Access Point near each TV.

You can change the DNS settings in the Eir TV configuration - it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

Even easier option for you but this depends on how your remote is setup. Mine is set to go to the home screen when I press the TV button. You can customize that though to open apple or eir tv. Anyway...

On the home screen press the tv button twice. This brings you into the apps running in the background screen. Same as pressing home button twice on an iphone.

Scroll left to the eir tv app and swipe up. This will fully close the app.

Relaunch the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Thanks will try that - I was using the EIR remote, not sure if it has the option of closing an app ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Just regarding this: "Another very nice feature that Eir don't advertise is that you can do multi-room without paying any additional monthly fee if you buy your own additional boxes. You can buy Apple TV boxes new, or second-hand. Eir actually sell refurbished units for €79.99, which are very competitive."

Has anyone actually purchased an additional Apple TV box and got the Eir TV working successfully on it as an additional / multi-room set up? I had to call Eir yesterday to remove a device (android) to allow me to use an iPad to use Eir TV. Currently have a 2 device allowance (the Apple TV seems to be separate from this).

While I was on there I asked the guy about an additional box, but he 'thought' i needed a multi room subscription to get that working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Got Eir TV set up a week ago, and have to say so far so good (switched from Virgin).

Picture is very good and no lag time moving from channel to channel. The absence of channel numbers and thus needing to scroll all the time is a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. I did have to fiddle with settings to stop it randomly switching my TV on, but once that was done, no problems. And the absence of any cables is great.

Yes, I have purchased additional Apple TV 4k boxes, and can confirm that eir TV app works fine without multiroom subscription. I can understand that eir call-centre staff may not be aware that this works, and will likely recommend renting a multiform subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Apologies if this has been answered, but couldn't see it in the thread.

Is it possible to load the Eir TV app on an Nvidia Shield android device, rather than use Apple TV box? I already have a Shield which I use for specific streaming apps/music etc. Would be great if I didn't have to be switching between devices and could instead have everything on the one.

Also, if I go with Eir Tv I'll be moving from Sky Q. I have been a big fan of Sky Q, from it's ease of use to it's overall speed and responsiveness. Also, I find teh picture quality especially on HD to be great (compared to a Vodafone TV box that I previously had)

I've never actually seen Eir TV in action. Is it reasonably quick and intuitive and is the picture quality in line with Sky Q as a comparator?

Thank,

Mark

There is an Android version of the Eir TV app, which you can cast to a TV from an Android Phone or Tablet. I haven't used Nvidia Shield - but it sounds like this would probably work on any Android device? However, I am not sure if the spec is as good when casting, as when running the app native on the Apple TV Box?

Regarding the quality of Eir TV on the Apple TV box - this is excellent. It is a proper IPTV streaming platform, and is not limited to the quality of the legacy broadcast channels on Satellite or Cable. However, the quality will be limited to what is currently available from the content supplier, so if the content supplier doesn't yet have a 4K stream, then you may be limited to HD for now. The capability of the Eir TV platform is probably closer to Netflix 4K or Sky Glass than legacy boxes such as Sky Q or Vodafone TV. Apple TV also uses cloud recording rather than the hard drives on the legacy boxes. The Apple TV allows most apps to run natively - Netflix, Amazon Prime, RTE Player etc - so it is likely that most of the apps running on your Nvidia Shield are also available for Apple TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It might help someone to know that the magic remote on the latest LG TVs work really well with the AppleTV box. Means we're not bothering with the smart tv functionality...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Anyone else having trouble casting the RTE channels to Chromecast using eirTV? It used work for most programmes but now I'm getting protected content on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just got the Apple TV box with the Eir TV app installed on it. It's connected via HDMI to a Blaupunkt TV. Trouble is that the volume doesn't work on the remote. When you go to press up or down on the volume, a message appears on the screen that says 'not available'. I've tried to follow the pairing instructions on the Eir site, but nothing is happening.

The remote control is one of these:

The instructions don't even make it clear if you're pairing it to the TV or not, like you would with the SKY remotes. It seems a bit ridiculous that the remote has voice search technology but cannot easily change the volume. Any solutions to this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cronley

On Eir TV Apple Box - can you watch Coronation Street (Virgin Media) on the Catch Up option, without having to use the Virgin Media Player. You can watch Fair City and Eastenders (RTE) on Catch Up

• Registered Users Posts: 17 done123

The answer is yes you can, but on catch up you have to watch all the adverts, that was in original program. You can record BBC programs. I find the RTE player and Virgin Media player possible a better choice, since they seem to have less adverts.

Hi done123

Re Eir TV. I can find Fair City and Eastenders on Eir TV Catch Up option, but I cant find Coronation Street on Catch Up. The Catch Up only has RTE programs - it does not have Virgin Media programs. Coronation Street is only on Virgin Media - so it is not on Catch Up. Is there a way to get Virgin Media programs available on Catch Up.

If you use the tv guide and rewind back a day you will find most shows on Virgin Media channels are available to re watch. I think up to seven days is maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

They still sending out the old model?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

After four and a half years I’m done with Eir. We got SIRO and went with Vodafone. Never had any customer service issues with Eir in their defence despite all the stories out there so I was lucky. When I made the call to finish the contract the Eir guy said it was unlikely they’d want the hardware back due to its age. So later in January if anyone wants them they’ll be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Keep an eye on your final Eir bills. I was identical to you and next thing I got a big bill for the old equipment!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Anyone else notice BBC NI regional programs are now blocked?

Get this pink screen with a countdown clock saying the channel will return in xx mins when the program finishes.

Not sure if this a BBC thing or it’s been enforced at the eir TV end but is annoying all the same!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s a really odd one. Why wouldn’t they just replace NI with Network if there was some beef against NI regional programmes being broadcast. Which there shouldn’t be, they’ve been broadcast here since the year dot?

Edit: Possibly to do with the new generic BBC One SD (Nightlight) service introduced last week which has replaced regional BBC One SD services? That’s got a pink screen with a countdown like you describe. Should only be regional news slots, or the smaller number of slots where all English regions opt out, though rather than all NI programmes.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bohs92

Yeah, its a bit strange, I dont know the reason for it, I would ring Eir and ask but you would fly to the Moon quicker than getting an answer🤣

BBC 1 HD was English version last night as well, BBC 2 HD was changed to Northern Ireland, for the first time on the platform and BBC 4 was off air all night. This seem to be connected to Satellite changes by the BBC feeds. I hope they’re getting this sorted soon.

All sorted tonight, except BBC Two NI HD does not have correct epg, showing England version.

Post edited by done123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

I was just getting used to the new Apple TV set top box, which incidentally I’ve found rather glitchy and clunky to use.

While the older set top box was rather basic looking it did the job and I’d have it back in a heartbeat but unfortunately that isn’t an option now.

Post edited by technocrat on

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Anyone with the old Eir Vision box find recordings are taking up way more space? Feels like twice as much or something!

Is there a way of changing settings here I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

New eir customer, anyone else just get the error

“channel unavailable,

Due to content restrictions, this content is unavailable in your current location.”

works fine on my phone but not the ATV they provided, same account, same appleID, same WiFi.

Spent the day on/off the phone with Eir support and they can't get my EirTV app to work.

They weren't that keen that I was using my router, so setup theirs, still didn't work, factory reset it, factory reset the AppleTV and still same error.

• Advertisement

Well, it just started working, funny enough I'm using my own modem with the mac address cloned as their routers address now.

Advertisement