Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I assumed it could be sentry but others think it could be squadron sinister. I think skarsgaard would be a great choice particularly for Sentry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I almost hope it's not Sentry. I love the character but his story would be completely wasted by being the antagonist in a Thunderbolts film. There's also no chance the Thunderbolts could stand up to him unless there are going to be further additions to the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New director and a new script writer writing a whole new script.

Yeah it may be decent arc to explore in phase 6 or 7 ,could also have some nice cameos by previous avengers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

reviews are in for guadians of the galaxy holiday special

very positive so far

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-holiday-special/season-1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds like Chris Hemsworth might be getting a bit tired with Himbo Thor: speaking on a podcast he said;

You look at Thor 1 and 2, they were quite similar. Ragnarok and Love and Thunder are similar. I think it’s about reinventing it. I’ve had such a unique opportunity with Infinity War and Endgame to do very drastic things with the character. I enjoy that, I like keeping people on their toes. It keeps me on my toes. It keeps me invested. I’ve said this before but when it becomes too familiar, I think there’s a risk in getting lazy then because I know what I’m doing. I don’t know if I’m even invited back, but if I was, I think it would have to be a drastically different version in tone, everything, just for my own sanity… [laughs] Thor lost his mind that last one. He’s got to figure it out now. 

Now, it's not exactly a big "I'm done with this shít" kinda rant but does seem to suggest he's maybe tiring of the completely comedic approach used by Waititi - and somewhat driven into the ground in Love & Thunder IMO. Hemsworth has undoubted comic timing but he has done enough serious roles I had wondered if he's feeling a tad boxed in with Thor while the rest of the MCU spun off in other tonal directions. Even the Guardians haven't been as aggressively goofball as Love & Thunder was.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,460 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bring back Branagh as a Director and J. Michael Straczynski as script writer if they are going to do one last Thor solo movie b

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd pay money for a gritty thor road movie, along the lines of Logan. Forced to flee from Zeus' wrath while trying to protect Gorr's daughter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hemsworth might the next Phase 1 star out the door, given a big blowout exit so yeah maybe they'll let him end on a serious note. Jeremy Renner kinda passed the torch in Hawkeye, while Mark Ruffalo can coast on Voicework for Hulk for a while. Black Widow is dead, so I think that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

*pours out a little liquor for the Phase 1 gang :(

Hemsworth can't exactly wash his hands of how Thor was in the last film. So much of it was improv that he's as much responsible as Waititi is. But the reason he wanted to go the comedy route was because he was getting bored of the character, and Waititi and their direction (as well as convincing the Russo's to go comedic with Thor in Endgame) helped keep Hemsworth interested. He's obviously reached the point where he needs another new direction to take Thor to stay interested in playing him. But maybe it's time to hang up the hammers anyway, just have Thor die in Kang Dynasty or Secret Wars.

Dr Strange & GotG are still knocking about.

I dunno, of all the post infinity saga filsm, only mulitverse of madness really felt like a 'proper' installment to me with proper ties back to the phase 1 stories. (no way home didnt do it for me at all).

GOTG are probably done after their next movie,there's already hints that a major character will be killed off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Neither were Phase 1. GotG were Phase 2 and Strange was Phase 3, I think.

Well, to be fair, I think for most people, they'd consider phase one, everything up to Infinity War / Endgame. we're closing in on being 15 years out from the original Iron Man, so the lines between what was released back then are almost irrelevant now.

We're now in the realm of very much B & C tier characters, and to my eyes, none of them are catching the public consciousness in the same way as the original sagas characters.

I do wonder, if they would have been better off pivoting to the X-men / mutants roster sooner, it feels like an interminable tease at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Guardians Holiday Special on Disney+ now.

Enjoyed it for the stupid dun it was.

And the big reveal that

Go-Bots are part of the MCU

😀

They've always been pretty open how each Avengers film was the end of a "phase". Endgame was difficult in being a definitive goodbye to that Phase 1 roster though.

It's funny to say the MCU is only "now" hitting the B and C tier when reality is, stripped of Spider-Man and the X-Men, the franchise has been almost entirely built on that tier of also-rans IMO. Iron Man and Captain America - maybe Thor being a pre-existing myth - were first produced because they were the closest things to household names back in 2008+ - but nowhere near as famous as Spidey or Prof X and pals. Spider-Man up there with Superman and Batman for immortal, iconic status.

Series like the Guardians of the Galaxy were utter unknowns before the film shot them into fame; arguably the franchise's largest gamble back in the day, as it was so left field and obscure. Still is, really! A talking tree and racoon are practically mascot's! While much of the rest of the MCU has been made up of similarly niche characters like Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Wasp or Vision. Ditto Black Panther: again not an especially known character outside of comics fans til the movie shot him into the zeitgeist.

The ultimate genius of the MCU has been a consistent hit rate in taking its B, C Tier comics and turning them into household blockbuster names. It is true what you say though IMO: none of the Phase 4 slot have inspired much; I think the world has become crowded and those early characters have left increasingly large shadows - going double for the added tragedy of a major lead dying young. With the best will in the world, Shang-Chi has been fine, but nothing special that I'm pumped about him teaming up with others.

Regarding bringing the X-Men into the fold, I wonder if they've given themselves a problem with Jackman returning as Wolverine in Deadpool 3. Logan was always going to be the hardest X-Men character to recast. At least there'd have been 6+ years between Mangold's Logan and the X-Men entering the MCU, but now that Jackman's Wolverine is part of the MCU via Deadpool, how do they recast the role? Can they even? Or going forward will Dafne Keen (for example) be playing X-23 Wolverine in the MCU?

Multiverse kinda solves all. Avengers Secret Wars will come after Deadpool 3 and will pretty much allow them to recast actors, reset characters etc. It's the end of the Multiverse Saga, so chances are Deadpool and Wolverine will be in one universe separate from the main MCU (though there'll likely be a lot of MCU jokes and references in Deadpool 3 now), and after Secret Wars we'll get a new version of MCU X-Men

• Advertisement

Yeah, the mechanics of it are easy. I meant moreso will fans accept non-Jackman Wolverine especially whilst the OG is still involved in the MCU? Basically, whoever is following in Jackman's footsteps already had a tough gig when 2017's Logan was his most recent outing. But now they've to fill his shoes whilst they're still warm!

It's the same conundrum with Prof X. Maybe more so. While Jackman has gone on to be a bonafide Hollywood Star, Patrick Stewart's career has kinda pivoted around being Picard and Professor X. There's probably a hair between both actors' iconic roles but IMO Stewart shades it. I could see a few candidates for a new Logan (heck Jackman wasn't even the first actor hired lol), but I always struggle to think of who'd make a good X. McAvoy was ok but played it much differently - nor did he even look great, bald. Tom Hardy technically played an alt Picard I suppose? 🤭

Funnily enough I feel the opposite - that it'll be easier to cast Prof X than Logan. Anyway, I thought Giancarlo Esposito was already in talks for Prof X or did I dream that? 🤔

Think he was in talks for something alright. Wasn't confirmed if it was Prof.X or Magneto, or maybe a different role altogether.

Yeah, now that you mention it I think both roles were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It likely did some minor set ups for GotG 3 but this was a real Christmas special and did a great job with it.

Low stakes and a lot of fun. Typical great use of music by Gunn

• Registered Users Posts: 32,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was so much fun!

Plus lovely to see more of Cosmo!

I suspect even with Esposito, he's too old; just looking at how the casting has swung with Phase 4+ there's a sense Marvel are picking up younger and more obscure - for the purposes of longevity ala Hemsworth and Evans of yore.

My money would be on relative unknowns for the new X-Men, and younger - even for Xavier himself. Maybe McAvoy might come around again, even if his head shape was all wrong lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’m starting an online campaign for Jason Statham to be the next Prof. X.

• Advertisement

Mark Strong, anyone? He does have a better head shape than McAvoy! 😁

Advertisement