Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

ah no I wasn’t suggesting to get one, I’m in a telegram group and the talk of drones here and coincidentally someone added that photo into the telegram. Some Nice photos of the TFX project etc…

I wouldn’t suggest using turkeys fighters except there F-4s lol museum pieces I know but they are a favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An interesting aside that I spotted whilst reading an article on Argentina's search for new fighter aircraft. A tender that the Chinese/Pak JF17 and India's Tejas are both actively pursuing.

Apparently, the US have made an offer of ex-Danish f16s at $15million an airframe. Now they are early A models but have been upgraded both incrementally and had the F16 mlu upgrades too. Old but still very capable airframes that outclass the Indian offering easily and would probably be on a par with the block 3 version of the JF17.

I am both very surprised that US is offering the airframes to Argentina. It speaks to a decline in UK influence. As well as the airframes themselves not being ringfenced for possible Ukrainian use. There has been quite a lot of talk recently about Ukr and western airframes. The likely candidates on what's available, were ex-NATO F16, ex-Spain,Finland,Aus F18s (A+C model). Not much else is available in any meaningful numbers. Offering those F16s to Argentina? Gives credence to another rumour that I've come across quite a bit since August. That any re-equip of UkAF will be with Gripen. There are quite a few in Swedish/Saab hands that are surplus now that Gripen E is the new baseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The US would offer them boneyard F4s for free if it meant keeping a swing Country out of the Chinese orbit, especially one in the Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Id say the yanks are trying to make sure they have another allie in south america

The saab would probably be ideal for the ukraine being able to operate of roads

The Finn's also operate their F18s from roadside in a very similar fashion to the Swedes. The Gripen was designed from outset for both dispersed operations and even more importantly IMao. With Russian fighters and their destruction as it's raison d'etre. It is built to be a Sukhoi slayer.

• Advertisement

The UK have prior to now always managed to exert quite a bit of influence to ensure that no western fighters and in particular no weapons system containing British tech was supplied to the Argentines.

That America are happy to offer 2nd hand f16s? Speaks to a loss of soft power influence on part of UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭sparky42

It’s certainly interesting if it goes ahead, as mentioned the U.K. has stopped every attempt before so have things changed? There was an article a few months ago on U.K. defence about it, the comments were “negative” about the idea of Argentina getting anything.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/f-16-jets-for-argentina/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Are there many Gripen E in service yet? Last I heard Sweden had started re-activating old squadrons. They still have not got all the C/D they ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭roadmaster

At the end of the day the UK always will bend to what the USA says no ifs or buts about it. If the yanks want argentina under its wing thats what will happen

Could the braszilans get an extra production line going to get.more in the market?

They are flat out building their own, have cancelled a few of their C390 so Embraer can focus on building their Gripen.

• Advertisement

Agree. There is mention of the US imposing "restrictions" that is hardly going to matter to the UK and their concerns down south re:Falklands.

I know that the Tejas has some British parts in the fuel system and the radome that won't be granted export license to Argentina. Similar story with some parts on the Sino/Pak JF17 but China have made clear they are moving to an all internal supply chain.

It's not hyperbole to say that the Argentines being offered F16s even old ones. Is a slap in the face to the UK. Yes as part of the great game, it's imperative to the US that China is kept out of their backyard. It really does speak to the decline of Britain's importance within the Anglosphere.

To D'ohvilles point. Yes the Swedes are reactivating the C/D airframes they have in storage. I know they've ordered 60 E's and that was originally contingent upon the Brazil order covering part of the R&D cost.

Saab are still beavering away trying to sell E/F and perhaps the shift in global geopolitical situation will aid that? I don't see them selling to India which is a country they've lobbied hard for the medium fighter contract. IMO that comes down to Dassault or Lockheed with Dassault already with a big foot in the door.

What Saab do have? Is the potential to fill immediate small orders with overhauled C/Ds and then ramp up production of the E in Sweden and perhaps Brazil depending on how that deal is structured. If memory serves, there are 220 or so Gripen built with 160 in service. Most of the stored airframes are Swedish that were mothballed as part of the "peace dividend".

There is a scramble for fighter supply at the moment and the days of turning out 300 spitfires a month are long gone. I think that some very interesting deals and bedfellows could be on the horizon. The US willing to arm Argentina is a sign of things to come.

For anything “Western” isn’t at least one of the issues is the MB seats?

Argentina lack the Naval forces required to threaten, let alone invade the Falklands again. The Islands are far better protected now than they were in 1982, with at least one flight of Typhoons, and a runway capable of taking the largest RAF tactical transport.

The RN are also much better placed to defend the island from Naval assault. Even in 1982, once Argentina lost use of their Carrier, and the long range attack aircraft had to be based in the mainland again, they struggled to find a target before launching their weapons and heading for home.

Gifting them a few self-defence aircraft and controlling what weapons they get (as the US can do) will not change the political threat much. Its a very different South America now.

I think any rational view of the balance of forces and the politics of the nations back your position that relatively minor strengthening of Argentinas abilities isn’t a threat to the UKs position and the status of the Falklands, however successive British Governments have taken the opposite.

It seems it’s holding a grudge for the sake of it rather than a rational look at the situation.

I agree with you. The benefit to be gained by corralling Argentina into a US leaning government is worth more than the hangover of the UK policy to deny any western arms to them.

Not so much in the US sourced gear. The ACESII is a product of Collins Aerospace and ultimately of Raytheon.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭tippilot

The US supplying high spec gear on earlier generation aircraft to the Argentinians is not a new development. Take a look at the A4AR Fightinghawk, probably the ultimate (non Israeli at least) incarnation of the A4 Skyhawk ever produced. Basically an F16 in an A4 airframe. And this happened in 1998. When the Falklands/Malvinas hangover was much fresher.

From a geopolitical point of view, the British are well aware of the need to limit the ability of China to expand its sphere of influence. So I'm sure they are on board with any offer made by the Americans.

Regarding the Swedish plans for the JAS39 C/D Gripens. There are no "reactivations", merely retentions. It is planned that a significant number of aircraft previously earmarked for replacement will now continue in service alongside the new model. The Swedish Air Force has actually received it's full ordered allocation of C/D, but there were a few aircraft produced at the end of the production run paid for by the Swedish government with no intention to induct them into the air force, merely to maintain continuity in the production line until the E model took over.

It has been mentioned that there are a number of very low hour A/B aircraft in storage that can be upgraded to the latest C/D iteration available for export. Current spec C model Gripens are highly advanced. Incremental upgrades of Gripen variants are constantly in the pipeline and are mainly software based. Think of it like a operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

Hmmm guys looks like the US is looking to get rid of the F-22 raptor The F-22 Raptor is a fifth-generation air superiority fighter that is considered fourth generation in stealth aircraft technology by the USAF. It is the first operational aircraft to combine supercruise, supermaneuverability, stealth, and sensor fusion in a single weapons platform.

I think we should get these because The F-22 has a significant capability to attack surface targets. In the air-to-ground configuration the aircraft can carry two 1,000-pound GBU-32 Joint Direct Attack Munitions internally and will use on-board avionics for navigation and weapons delivery support. Along with being a great fighter jet.

And to be honest The Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor is perhaps the most advanced air superiority fighter jet in the world right now. The F-22 Raptor fighter got designed as a single-seat, all-weather stealthy tactical fighter that made its first flight on December 7, 1997.

We definitely need these to protect OUR AIR SPACE! AND TO STOP THE RUSSIANS FROM ATTACKING OUR INTERNET ! AND FLYING OVER IRELAND! and besides THE COMMISSION has said so.

Hopefully we get these soon we desperately need them i think we should allocate more funds and increase taxes to get this urgent program off the ground otherwise we will be attacked and taken over.

Im hearing thru the dark net channels that Sweden has started re-activating the old squadrons. My ex commando navy seal ranger buddies keep me in the know, infact i hear alot of classified things about multiple militaries around the world so i can chat about them on boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD] OK, satire is an accepted form of communication on here and I've been fairly patient, but setting up a repeated strawman is getting a bit irritating. Nobody is advocating for anything more than Irish requirements. Do not confuse with Johnnybigwallet's postings which are generally taken as a matter of humour[/MOD]

• Advertisement

Well in the interest of fairness are you going to go back along and deal with the level of insults being posted by the little clique in here? or is abusing posters with a difference of opinion a reasonable form of communication too?

The satire was well drawn out by a few ignorant elitist posters who believe they can insult who they like and act with impunity on here.

I'd say your mother took valium like smarties.

Hopefully he'll feck you out, you and your trolling horsesh1t.

Give my best to your poor mother.

You are a disgrace of a person, and a coward talking about someone's mother over an internet form, you have no idea about anyone's situation.

Its one thing talking nonsense about jets its another thing talking about someones family when you dont even know the other person. You are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of yourself.

Seems I touched a nerve.

Good.

@Manic Moran You gonna ban this piece of **** or what? this coward is a disgrace to these forums and a typical keyboard warrior from Dublin.

In due course you will be dealt with. We'll see if you've as much to say then.

• Advertisement

Advertisement