Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valencia Marathon 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Unfortunately not feasible I'm afraid. From km 35 to the finish are very busy streets, with human and motor traffic. Can't see that working for ya. The obvious spot to run in Valencia is on the dry river bed. The other part that you could do a bit on would be the biggish avenue out by the University area. From beach inland and back again. But nothing beats the river really. There is a runners track down there that is bizarrely respected by dog-walkers and cyclists - who happen to have their own paths!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Only two weeks to go, so it's getting late to improve anything...

Training went relatively well this past week, with two added track sessions and some core work, but not perfect: I could not run a 10k flat out on Saturday for a variety of reasons (it was 0c in Carlow at 9 am, the track was still closed at 1 pm and when I tried to do it on the treadmill my head went and I could not sustain the effort: basically I should have gone to park run and run a 5k flat out at least as it would have been something). Yesterday's 17m run was an improvement again with a low HR and slightly increased pace (the problem is I can't get my HR up at the moment, which is why missing that 10k is a shame), even if I wasn't feeling the love.

Apart from 4x1200, this week is straightforward enough. I'll still try to add 2 other track sessions with the club. I have to increase stretching and generally look after my legs.

Weight loss has been a disappointment as always (currently losing 0.2 Kg per week!), but at least it's moving in the right direction. With mileage decreasing, I have to reduce carbs further.

Of course, it is time to start looking at ambitions, and at the moment, it looks like this:

-Bronze sub 3:00 @6:51

-Silver sub 2:50 @6:29

-Gold sub 2:46 @6:19

with training so far indicating a 6:35 pace. So a PB (2:47:27) seems out of reach, and the best I can hope for is a sub 2:50 if things go well. There are a couple of positive factors (flat course, supershoes) but a good few negative ones (warm sunny weather, lack of hard training pace, potential stomach cramps as always).

Anyway, there it is, and the best I can hope for is a small improvement in all areas this week and, of course, no injury. I hope everyone will be on the start line healthy. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was on a treadmill in a sweatbox on Saturday doing 13km a little faster than race pace and 1% gradient. With an hour warm up and a couple of km cool down.

More just to feel like it be if it’s a warm day.

800m and 5km MP tempo tomorrow and Thursday for me this week.

Hopefully a 3.0x for me. Hoping it’ll be get into a nice tempo and just tick the distance away. Like all marathons it’s all on the day and avoid the kids bringing home a big bug from school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thanks for that. Will save me a few hours faffing about on google streetview trying to figure out what's possible. Turia Gardens does seem the business though. I noticed it on a brief visit the last time I was in Valencia and thought it was a really nice facility - and I wasn't even a runner then! 😄

Lads, lads, last year's course wasn't a two-lapper, it's what we'll be running in two weeks time.

Mea culpa. It was the 2020 event that was a two lapper for the elites only. I came across it looking through strava segments to try and find the route.

Still a bit early I know, but indications are that the temperature could be more or less perfect. I've seen a couple put up 16 or 17 as the high for next Sunday. Could change but fingers crossed.

Weather looks good. Can’t be expecting single digits but hopefully get a bit in before the sun gets up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Put myself on the waiting list for this Saturday night and the option to book a bib popped into the inbox the following morning.

If there is a mini boards meetup that evening, happy to join ye!

Here we are, the final week before the main event.

As expected, the past week went fine and steadily with no surprises. It was very enjoyable. 59 miles done.

I didn't go out to the extra track session with the club on Monday night as the weather was not that kind, and I felt a bit lazy. But it was supposed to be a rest day anyway, so it was probably wise. On Thursday morning, I was about 10'' too slow per mile for my four 1200m reps as the legs were still tired from the extra club track session the night before: trying to do 2 track sessions back to back is probably not the best (looking forward I'll have to change this and replace one of those with Lactate Threshold session instead as I need more high steady heart rate efforts). I managed several good exercise sessions (plyometrics twice, two very good strides sessions, core, yoga, and a couple of other things). Finally, my weight has come down nicely by about half a kilo, but much more importantly, it has been a very steady decline rather than yoyoing widely as would be my norm. As I have been struggling to find the right weight management habits for years, I am very pleased with this as there is hope that I can train and lose some fat at the same time.

I have a habit of messing up during the last week before a marathon (typically by eating too much) and underperforming on the day (primarily due to stomach cramps from about halfway), so hopefully, my new diet habits will help with that.

This week is all easy stuff, except for Wednesday's dress rehearsal of 7m with the last 2 at marathon pace. I will try to keep the strides, easy yoga sessions and plyometrics work up.

The weather looks good for Sunday (clouds, chances of rain, no wind).

But enough chitchat.

There is no doubt that I am at least 20'' per mile slower (about 9' overall) than when I got my PB of 2:47 3 years ago. But. That was a big underperformance, and I was capable of 2:42 on that day, but going out too fast on the non-flat DCM course and having stomach cramps took care of that. Last week I posted the following goals:

-Bronze sub 3:00 @6:51

-Silver sub 2:50 @6:29

-Gold sub 2:46 @6:19

They are nice round targets, so I won't change them. But I have to take reality into account: I will go out for Silver at a 6:30 pace (in practice, I will aim to be below that, so it could be 6:28 on average). That pace should feel easy until halfway; if it does not, I'll try to hang on and, if necessary, drop to the Bronze goal. But there is also a possibility (flat course, supershoes, good weather, no cramps) that I'll be slightly faster than that and still feel good, in which case an average pace of 6:23 overall and a PB could be in sight. My Gold goal is out of reach this time.

I hope everyone is in good shape. I am number 2354, Green wave.

Take care all.

Jaysus, that was last minute!! We haven't finalized details but I'm definitely hoping to hit Tyris on Tap Sunday evening. I have to get out to say hello to the in-laws at some stage but let's say 7 or 7.30 in ToT. They have a good selection of beers, it's unpretentious and they do some food as well. Not exactly gourmet but you can eat well enough there. I might be heading off for dinner elsewhere, don't know yet.

• Advertisement

I presume nobody can search for participants on the valencia marathon app? Or maybe it's just me.

Edit - never mind, it's live now.

Post edited by DeepBlue on

Fairly comprehensive Last Minute booklet (83 pages!!) there folks. Lots of ads, tbf!

https://valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/revistas/42Kultimasinstrucciones/40/

Amazing organisation...

I can't find any mention in that of mile markers. I presume it's marked in kms only. The weather looks reasonable anyway for Sunday.

Ain't no miles on the continent, Bluesy. 😅

Weather, fingers crossed, looks perfect. There have been fairly warm years and last year was windy. Let's see.

• Advertisement

The weather looks ideal. I had that down for an excuse 😂

Hopefully plane is quiet going over so I can just choose any random seat and not the crap random seat Ryanair will assign to me as other day the fight out was still €30 so tells me the plane isn’t bursting at the seems.

Can they make sure there’s a lift at the plane to take me off on Sunday night?

Just give Mick O Leary a buzz there, you should be grand.

Bit late for a Target Time kinda thing, but here's me. Echancure has done his too, tbf.

PB: 2:57:36 Valencia 2019

Since then I have had a longish layoff and a couple of attempts at comebacks. This has been by far the most successful but no real training plan, no quality sessions. Just tried to build a base and get the kms on the long run up to somewhere decent. Managed that. Did a Half a few months ago, and was happy with 1.38 and change.

Target: 3.29.xx

Safe travels to all and hopefully bump into a couple of ye in Tyris on Tap in the evening for a bit of $hite talk and a glass of beer.

Sitting in the airport atm having a pint while waiting on my flight.

This will be my second marathon after DCM '19. Came in @ 3:48 that day after hitting the wall at mile 22 or thereabouts.

The target for Valencia is 3:25 or under. Training has gone well, I think, and I'll be lining up with very minor niggles. I'm feeling reasonably confident while simultaneously bricking it 😄

Hopefully I'll be in fit enough state to down a few beers in Tyris on Tap and exchange war stories on Sunday 👍

I’m staying near colon metro stop. I presume l loads of pizza options around there.

My goal is 3.0x but if I do a sub 3.13.4x I won’t complain I promise.

Like all marathons it’s all on the day and just cause it feels fine after 10km doesn’t mean put the hammer down. I’m just hoping I get into a nice tempo and stay at that pace and nothing to break the stride. I did Rotterdam back in 2014 and I was clipping of kms to the same second for a bunch of them. Just cruising along. I’d take that again

• Advertisement

@DeepBlue What's the morning temp feel like then? Seems quite cool, no? How about the breeze and so on.......

Btw, this is the state weather forecast I believe. Looks absolutely ideal..... as I think it was Trampas said, There goes that excuse anyway!

https://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/valencia-id46250

Yes, quite cool. About 10 or 11 degrees. No breeze to speak of. I'm still starting with a singlet - be bold, start cold and all that 😀 No doubt we'll be warm enough soon enough.

Yes, here, there now. The weather feels perfect if it stays the same. Singlet for sure.

Is it gloves weather? I hate cold hands

Should I put an old black sack in the bag for hanging around the start?

Yes I hate cold weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

You should bring the bag, better to be looking at it than for it...and buy cheap gloves (in the Spanish version of Pennys) you can throw them away at an aid station when you warm up.

Enjoy the race everyone..

Is it ok to throw away hoodies at the start? Probably gonna avoid the bag drop and just bring gels and phone in a flip belt.

I’ve loads of pairs of cheap pennies gloves. Might even bring one of my snoods to keep the head warm

Trampas, you'll only need those for the hanging around and max first 5kms. Yes, you can ditch a top before the start. They say they'll donate to homeless/shelters/charities.

Good luck all. Enjoy the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Best of luck everyone 💪

• Advertisement

Pints?

Corcaigh, will you be around a bit later? Say 6 or thereabouts. In a little place called Tyris on Tap, just past the Central Market. Google map it. I think a few of the lads said they'd drop in. I have lunch now then might try to kip for a small while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Sinead Diver with an Australian record 2:21:34

Anyone else showing incorrect finish time. I also have no chip reading until 25k?

Something off happening with it alright. They added an extra 30 mins or so to my finish time.

Hoping to alright! I'll send you on my number, I won't know anybody there to see.

3:12:19 today for me. 96 second pb. Enjoy it. steady pacing all the way. Fighting around 27-28km. Looking for that turn. Also wherever the wall thing was. Apart from that I clipping out the kms. Started at back of pink wave so gave myself plenty of room. Rookie mistake was expo and bag drop. I know better for next time. Definitely less walkers than Dublin. I found my position like wtf compared to Dublin. In airport now waiting for flight. Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

She's amazing and inspirational.....Great story behind her.

I feel weird all week with night sweats, back pains, bad sleep and stiff legs.

My legs seized up after 4 miles, so I had a long run-walk day.

Finished in 3:56, my worst marathon experience ever; there was nothing I could do on the day.

• Advertisement

50 second PB for me and my first negative split ever. Enjoyed every step, fantastic event. Now no more marathons for me till next year 😅

Jeez, that sounds rough. Kudos for finishing. Not sure I could do that if I faltered so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

At least she's not our problem now. And we talk about the Kenyans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How did you get on yourself? Strava silence too. Or did I miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Bloody hell. Imagine having a run as good as Sinead Diver's and then this numpty troll on Boards.ie posts this libel.

Not too bad, Murph. Went to plan timewise. I wanted sub 3.30 and got 3.26. Tried to start at 5 min/kms and finish a tiny bit faster but of course did it the other way around! First 42.2k in three years, with no quality training so I'm happy overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ah pc it's yourself. Did you get bored of making soft money dishing out covid shots? Have you started seeing real patients yet or are you still too busy virtue signalling?

As you haven't taken the time yet do yourself a favour and equate Divers time to not only Irish legends but all non African women's times over the history of marathon running added to the age profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great achievement to finish it

Pacers seem to be a bit random. I started right at the back of the pink wave and let everyone off. Saw a couple of flags in the distance and caught them around 19/20km I think. Road was tight so had to wait until we got out of that area before passing them. I didn’t drop any pace and they caught me again around the wall but they finished just behind me. So say they did it in around 2:13 flat. Heard 2:50 pacer went through half in 1:26.

Someone beside me fell just after a km. felt for them as it looked like a bad one. It was like it was one of his club mate he clipped as a few with same tops.

I’d definitely do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Ran 3.13 myself. Went thru halfway in 1.34 (goal time 3.08) but hit the biggest wall i have ever hit in a marathon at 21 miles. Had 6 high5 gels and 2 salt tablets. Had covid 2 weeks ago so maybe something to do with it. Stuck in 3rd gear for last 5 miles and suffered on. the 3.15 pacer (3 mins ahead of pace time) went by me the last mile but then was waving everyone on at the finish. I thought the finish was epic (super crowds over the bridge). I started near the front of the pink wave and i thought the start was really crowded....roads not as wide as Berlin and what seemed like a higher quality field. Heels getting clipped frequently for the first 3 miles. Live tracking was a shambles . And bag drop messy. Other than that a great course...weather and no wind. Would definitely do it again. Back to PowerBar gels next time.

Anyone else get an email about guarantee entry into next year

• Advertisement
Advertisement