Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland the land of taxes and endless "fees"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

I think that's where the plan falls flat the "quickly" part and when you factor in how insignificant our use of fossil fuels are in the grand scheme of things when compared to bigger nations it seems even more futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, disagree strongly, a significant proportion of fossil fuels used globally, are actually used to provide us with our goods and services, we ve effectively outsourced this problem, and now have decided lets point the finger, as its definitely them over there, when the reality is, we designed it this way!

the only way to solve this is not taxing the bollcoks out of people, and stop trying to indebt them personally!

Clean air and less pollution are fantastic, never said it wasn't.. but trying to implement it via crippling cost of fossil fuels will lead to people freezing, our air quality is good as it is anyway.. I think you'd find people wouldn't be long turning on the clean air notion if it meant they didn't have to pay 50 euro a bag of coal.

So your telling me if we all want to move to air to water in the morning the gov will pay for 100% of the cost?

Disregard scientific data? The notion that electric cars are the solution is nonsense when you dig down into it, the manufacturing of these vehicals and batteries and then providing electricity to constantly recharge all of these if we implement these nationwide.

Feel free to explain explain to me how science answers the hours charge time on these cars if we all get them? It d be some laugh to see the petrol stations when they convert to electric chargers.

Electric cars certainly aren't the answer and there is no solid science to say otherwise it's a knee jerk fad at the min and until then I surely will disregard the "science" till it can answer those questions.

I don't think public transport will ever be able to replace individulised transport, and cycling won't work either for a multitude of reasons from commute distance to personal health to weather on the day.

I don't disagree with you that we need to stop with fossil fuels. What I'm talking about is the bigger picture and the levels of strain we are putting on people to reached our carbon targets.

I has to be a global effort, it should be from the big nations down, otherwise we are at nothing. If we were carbon neutral tomorrow and india and china and big countries just keep on keeping on it was all a wasted effort.

The only thing we d have to show for it was the moral high ground and pat ourselves on the back.

Thing about not taxing fossil fuels is there would be little incentive for folks to change away from it. In time your 50 eur bag of coal will be 100,200 and so on. You won't find many choosing to use the stuff then. Same for diesel, petrol kerosene, gas, etc.

The carbon tax is the fairest way to get people off the stuff. That it will increase every year from now on will ensure that by 2030 there'll be f all interested in buying new cars that use the stuff. We can already see this with the exponential growth of EV sales and the utter destruction of diesel sales.

But yeah, cars, regardless of the tech, are going to be curtailed further and further. Congestion charges, emission zones, removal of on street parking, parking levies at workplaces etc.

It is very easy to avoid these costs

As with a lot of things, it's all down to the choices you make. Choose to live in the back arse of nowhere and drive 80km into the city centre, grand fire ahead but you're going to pay through the nose for the privilege. There is no such thing as a free ride anymore.

So your telling me if we all want to move to air to water in the morning the gov will pay for 100% of the cost?

Not sure what you hope to gain by twisting my words but if you'd like to know more go to the SEAI website. You'll find all the answers there, you won't have much luck twisting the info though as it's pretty clear

I don't think public transport will ever be able to replace individulised transport, and cycling won't work either for a multitude of reasons from commute distance to personal health to weather on the day.

No such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. Some of the best fun walks and cycles I've had have been in the worst weather 😊

As I said, your choices determine your costs. Me, I choose to reduce my costs to have more disposable income, maybe you make different choices but that's entirely up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Insurance Covered by the business. $500 deductible per year.

yes I pay property tax, $8000 a year and water is $40 a month. Roads are perfect, local schools give each child a computer at the start of the year, have very good teachers, sports facilities and social scene for kids is excellent.

Firstly not everyone's circumstances are the same as your own, i think saying its down to "choice" is very presumptuous and arrogant and shows the gap between these farcical notions and reality.. the sad reality on the ground is these aren't choices, because we are being taxed to death for these things along with a housing crisis and in order to even attempt to own a home people will be FORCED to live in the back arse of nowhere make no mistake it isnt a choice and thats if they are lucky! there was never a free ride in this country for motoring... motorists made up a large share of tax for the privilege's either directly or indirectly.

Its easy to be gleeful about the price of fossil fuels going up thru the roof when you can afford it or already done need it, its devastating for alot of people though and will have little impact for climate change as a whole as our nation is so small we are nearly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but that wont stop the save the planet crowd having us killing ourselves to try and appease these "targets"

You gave the answer of there's 100% grants as if its a case of just strolling in and bam house is retrofitted impression i knew that was not true that's why i questioned it to expose that not twisting anything just bringing clarity to a very hollow solution to the problem and i think you know urself that is the case whether you'll admit it or not.

I'd pay money to watch you bring 2 or 3 kids to school on your bike and then head off on a 25 mile cycle to work in stormy weather to put down a 12 hour shift to turn around and cycle home and try do abit of house work so you can get up and do it again the next day... let us know how you get on! lol

In the real world circumstances dictate choices, and due to crippling costs of living imposed by taxes and other notions. The peoples "choices" will be very limited.. but im sure that wont stop the well off and privileged from preaching to those on lower income's to get there climate act together as they struggle to keep there head above water.

Climate change and other shite is so far down the list for the average working man's things to be worrying about and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The retro fit scheme has been an unmitigated disaster and not fit for purpose,the greens only care about he wealthy in this country. You are wasting your time with decor, he's the resident green party apologist and link dumper.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40990805.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

rather than taxing the **** out of fossil fuels, wouldnt it be a better idea to offer a green alternative at much the same price? There is no green alternative at much the same price - thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

As somebody who has spent a lot of time on asia I say its very nice to have clean air in Ireland but sure the whole country uses less energy than a large city in Asia. And the use of fossil fuels to produce things like chips for iphones is off the scale in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As someone pointed out earlier one of the reasons there are so many environmental issues in Asia is because we have outsourced manufacturing to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes but what most folks dont understand is thst most of Asia is still.powered by cheaper fossil fuels for transport and heavy manufacturing. Petrol costs are less than half Ireland (due to low fuel taxes and russian oil) and electricity up to 1/3. Very few folks are worried about unplugging televisions or turning off lights etc.

Theres no 'energy crisis' except in the poorest countries such as Sri Lanka..I believe the US is the same. The energy crisis is mostly a European phenomenon

Most Irish could not understand the sheer scale of energy demand and how mich energy it creates to manufacture one high end mobile phone.

Asia does depaerately need to reduce fossil fuel use and clean up the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'm still waiting for you to name the country where you paid only 9% income tax on a good wage and were getting Scandinavian levels of services?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

WE will be paying an oxygen tax soon with stupid logic like yours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

NO they are not , not everyone in the private sector have got pay rises and the Public sector are paid over 20% more per person than the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I joined the HSE a little over a year ago. Before that I was working in the private sector. Took a €5k approx. pay cut when I joined the PS. Also lost my company car and fuel card. I made the change for a better work/life balance. Not everyone in the public service is 20% better off than in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sameoldname

So you're claiming that wage growth in Ireland is mainly driven by the public sector rather than private market forces? Again, like I asked your friend, have you any actual evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly.

its about the only thing we don’t pay tax on.

our earnings / saved earnings are essentially hit and taxed four times…

PAYE

PSRI

USC

DIRT

taxes on our purchases… VAT, motor tax, inheritance tax which is a form of criminality as that income has been taxed multiple times already.

Pricing up a one way flight to New York JFK with Aer Lingus

458.45 gross price

271.44 for the flight

187.01 in taxes…

we don’t get anywhere near bang for our buck from these taxes. Don’t mind paying if we did.

Again… hospital waiting lists out the door, SFA in the way of rehabilitative beds for physical disability or illness, shîte public transport. Not enough Gardai, not enough prison places. But we are hammered for tax.

We actually do quite well out of our taxation.

As for your favorite whipping boy, the healthcare system, you could throw a trillion a year at it and it wouldn't be enough, such is the nature of healthcare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Juran

We pay a lot of taxes like Scandavian countries, but we get poor value in return in terms of medical care, GP, dental, eye care, orthodondists, 3rd level educatiin (plus cost of living for students as well as fees), housing for lower paid workers, public transport, roads, motorways, foothpaths, public toilets ... jesus, I could go on forever.

But we seem to serve people who dont work (by choice) really well. We get a gold start for that social welfare service !!

I,ve visited sweden, norway & denmark in the past 6 years. Prices not far off eating & drinking out in Ireland. Norway Supermarket beer cans 500ml 4.5-5% alcohol, about the same as cans of 4.5-5% larger cans here thanks to MUP.

I lived and worked in Germany for over 7 years in recent years, I paid a lot less income tax than in Ireland, car insurance €150 a year, government medical insurance card type system for medical insurance taken out of my wages ... I never paid for GP or medical consultants for when refered (refered once and got an appointment within a month at private clinic), didnt pay a penny. They simply asked for my insurance card. I know Irish people who had surgery, child care benefits, etc.. in Germany, they were amazed at the service and benefits.

My relative who has private medical insurance was told there was a 6 to 9 month wait for a private MRI for a bad knee. HsE would have been 2 years+. She went to Spain for a holiday, walked into a private clinic, paid €150 for a scan, got them to send the results to her consultant in Ireland. He accepted them and reviewed the results with my relative.

Why why why cant Ireland get basic service and value for money from the billions tax revenue ???

And I'd like to say that once in the HSE system for critical care (cadio, cancer, maternity, etc..), they provide a very good serivce and frontline staff are best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We pay a lot of taxes like Scandavian countries

No we don't.

There is an argument to be had about tax bands, tax rates and value for money, but it helps not to start off with simply false assertions.

We do when you factor in USC, road tax, motorway tolls, vat on fuel, vat on alcohol & vat on all goods, capital gains, inheritence tax and the fact working people pay for GP, dental, eyecare, 3rd level college fees and more healthcare. Like people have pointed out before, all the non direct and direct taxes adds up to paying MORE of of our weekly/monthly wages than Scandanvians. FACT.

Scandavians pay more PAYE income tax on their wages, but they dont have to fork out for healthcare, education, etc. After that.

Adding things that are not taxes into your tax equation is just silliness. By that logic you can start adding anything to bump it up until it meets your narrative.

Maybe stick with taxes and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AFAIK, there is no tax on aviation. There is no VAT on flights.

Airlines and airports have a habit of using the word "taxes" to describe their charges.

In your case of a flight to the USA, there may be a US tax.

But AFAIK, there is no Irish tax on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No need to imagine.

Let's do the calculations, or else use the PWC calculator.

200k in 2023

First 40k @ 20 % = 8,000

Next 160k @ 40 % = 64,000

72,000 tax less tax credits of (1775 + 1775 = 3,550)

Total tax due is 68,450 or 34.225%

PRSI is a clean 4% or 8,000, meaning the total is now 76,450 or 38.225%

USC = 12,795, thanks to PWC

Total is 89,245 or 44.6%

300k is 141,245 so still under 50%

500k is 245,245, so still under 50%, just about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Metered and your cut off with a plastic bag over your head if ya cant afford to pay your bill

Direct tax, indirect tax, value add tax and other fees and duties. Its all means you have less real Net income at the end of the month (for food, clothes, shelter, entertainment, small treats and holidays). And the fact is, our net spendable income is less in Ireland that our northern european and scandanavian neighbours. So call it what you what, its the cost of living in ireland with mandatory taxes and duties applied to living wages for working people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Augme

Where are you getting your figures from?Sweden VAT rate is 25%, capital gains varies but around 30% on average, they alao pay excise duty on alcohol and tobacco, they have a vehicle tax

Do you have any link or source to back up your FACT? Apart from saying it in all caps.

Advertisement