Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would the right back/centre forward wear the CAPTAINS armband if he wasn’t the captain??

Imagine the statement it would make having a FIFA referee issue a yellow card to say Harry Kane for wearing the one love armband to billions of viewers. Would do so much for LGBTQ+ rights in countries with oppressive regimes. But nah, not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t understand Roy Keane opinion on it. Why would any professional player take even just 1 yellow card in arguably the biggest tournament of their career for the sake of some moral standpoint?? VVD said it well, although he agreed with the belief he us there to play football and compete, and if he is playing in a yellow then he cannot be at his best. Why they are given the yellow is a different matter.

It was UEFA policy to wear it. Not some personal beliefs of Kane. It's quite likely a rampant homophobe has worn this armband in Europe. Players are told to wear or not wear these things regardless of their personal beliefs. Shocking I know.

Roy Keane walked out of the biggest tournament of his career. It's called having principles. Some things are bigger than football believe it or not.

Otherwise things mean nothing and everything is for self interest. Many people live their whole lives like this. It's a sad way to live but to each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Principals would have been walking away from the tournament 8 years ago.

This arm band thing is a cod, its trying to have your cake and eat it.

Fair point. Would be a good way for individual players to make a statement though I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They should have worn them and told Fifa any cards for it and the team walks off the field and refuses to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

Presumably any player insisting on wearing the armband would be sent home too.

• Advertisement

Id agree with the principle of if you say you’re going to do something then do it- a yellow in the opening game wouldn’t have impacted them much considering the final score. I’m not sure though that had Roy been there, that he would have entertained wearing an armband in the first place. If he was so passionate about the whole thing he just probably wouldn’t have gone.

However, to what degree any team should be “protesting” at this late stage is I think open for debate- they could have refused to come to the games in the first place- imagine England Argentina Brazil Germany and France all said, no we’re not coming - but they didn’t- they’re here now, it’s too late.

This minor posturing is all about being “seeing” to be doing something - it’s optics, nothing more- the only thing left to do is play fantastic football - that’s it- the time to have done something else, is long past. The rest of the sham antics is about instagram likes and social media profile and the hope some corporate will give you a big aftershave advertising contract at the end of it, because you were so empathetic to the minority groups of society.

Leaving aside LBGTI rights, which we know don’t exist in any Muslim orientated country and it won’t change ever, so why bother, there was in my view, one big reason not to come to Qatar- and that was the scant regard for human life that built those stadiums and the lack of compensation for their families- but everyone going there took the money and the glory - so be it, but I’m totally cynical of those armbands and any other posturing at this point.

I just said the same thing but it took me 4 paragraphs to say it😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No she doesn't

Because if Alex Scott was put in that position when she was playing she probably would have backend down as well.

It's easy for her to do it on TV in front of friendly viewership.

Tell her to do it on Quatari TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder what would the FAI have done had Ireland qualified? Luckily we can just criticise other FAs instead. Will be interesting to see the reaction should Saudi Arabia make a future bid for the World Cup. Will FAs come out immediately and state unequivocally that they will not participate in such a world cup? Will Hyundai et al say mea culpa, although we pumped millions into the Qatar WC which generated multi millions in additional revenues for our inclusively minded shareholders, we will boycott the Saudi WC because deep down we wear the rainbow? Somehow I'm thinking I won't hold my breath.

It's a real quandary for FAs.

If they decide to boycott a WC then they will be denying a whole load of players the opportunity to play on what is the biggest stage in their sports.

Plus FIFA could impose tougher sanctions on the FAs as a result.

At the same time individual players really don't care about the politics, that's what makes team elite athletes, ignoring everything around them and only focusing on the game. So they are unlikely to push for boycotts.

Only two groups can make decisions that will not adversely affect the players or to a lesser extent the FAs.

One are the sponsors.

Go on Coca Cola, Visa, McDonald's, Budweiser, Hyundai, I fuckin dare you pull the plug on your sponsorship of FIFA.

The other is FIFA

Stop giving world cups to s**thole places like Qatar.

I think there’s a further question to ask- what would the Irish football fans and public have done if we qualified? Would we as a nation have put pressure on the FAI to withdraw from the completion? Or laid down our red line of demands such as a worker compensation scheme in advance of attending?

Personally I think there might have been some posturing, some protests etc but ultimately I believe we would have attended

Similarly players in general don’t say “we’re not going to play X country because of their human rights record” - they play them in the hope of beating them- that’s the victory.

Qatar might be in the firing line here this time but that just distracts from FIFA and how rotten an organisation it is

Fck FIFA UP ITS ARSE - armbands for sale- any takers?

100% we would have attended and any questions about LGBTQ+ would have been answered with "sure weren't we the first country in the world to introduce SSM by public vote"

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RINO87

Adrian Eames (spelling??) is a much better commentator than Des Curran in my opinion. Seems Des is lined up to be the "main" commentator once George is wheeled away. Adrian would be a much better fit I think

• Advertisement

you really think the Qatari government are going to take one look at at Harry Kane getting sent to the sidelines to take it off and go "cor blimey, we've been wrong all this time. We should ignore the teachings of Mohammed and let men lie with men until their hearts are content."?

Ain't.Gonna.Happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

beyond a joke this world cup. not a big soccer fan these days but can't see me watching any of it. with armbands, anthems, fans been flown in by governments etc etc ,.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I heard on news talk them about how brave the Iran players where for not singing the national anthem compared to the likes & Kane & VVd who wouldn't wear the armband ,

but the Iran players also didn't wear the armbands, everyone seems to be missing the point the footballers aren't going to do anything that effects there actual football performance,

These guys dreamt since they where kids of being there , themselves & there families have sacrificed a lot to make it, they just want to play football , the same as the lads from Iran who when it came to the football didn't want yellow cards either so also didn't wear the arm bands,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The typical Irish soccer fan would have had more issue with the lack of alcohol at games than the human rights abuses of the host.

As it progresses I’d say more and more will tune in and all of this arm band stuff will be forgotten - there’s only so much posturing you can do before it’s repetitive and pointless, which I believe has exceeded that point even now.

I think the complaints and the news reports will start to focus more around lack of booze, the heat in those tin shacks and lack of atmosphere outside of the stadiums- some hardcore fans who likely spent near dozens of 1000s are staying in the likes of Dubai so that they can suck up the atmosphere and booze there and are just flying in for the matches - probably the way to go if attending a WC is what rocks your boat- you want it to be a good experience-

This Argentina team is terrible. The last good team they had was in 2006 when Riquelme was pulling the strings in midfield, they probably should have won it that year. Even in ‘14 when they got to the final they were no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The fact that they are unbeaten in 37 games sums up the poor standards in world football.

No fluidity at all from them.

And watching another 'big ' team too in Holland struggle to win, suggests this could be England's year?

But the Iranians were not interested in LGBTQIA+ causes.

And that's fine, not everyone has to be a crusader for the LGBTQIA+ minority.

But what they were interested in was what was actually going on in their own country, and by not singing the anthem it was a worldwide f-you to the regiemes back home.

England will meet France in the quarters if games go as expected. That will be interesting, with France missing few big players but still have a solid defence, England have strength all over with great attacking players but an ultra conservative mngr who plays not to be beat philosophy. I think Uruguay will face Brazil in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The should of course be commended for there actions no question about that ,

Advertisement