Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Fantastic game, the presentation was a disgrace though, between Macron acting like Mbappe's older brother, infantino slobering over every medal as if they are his personal gifts or the Qatari fella trying to dress Messi up as his personal doll....absolutely ridiculous! Loved the match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

Odd closing monologue from the rte presenter, trying to stoke the final ambers of outrage about Qatar being hosts. That ship had sailed, move on, focus on the excellent match and the achievements of Messi and look to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm delighted for all the people who took action over this world cup.

All the people who tweeted or posted their support for migrant workers or LGBTQ causes and posted about their outrage of the Quatari regime.

All the people who changed their profile avatar or photo to reflect this.

Your total and utter lack to real action meant that the world cup was a massive success for Qatar and FIFA, and all your outrage was forgotten about once the soccer started.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Boycott the sponsors, not just during the world cup but for life, encourage others to boycott.

Make a big deal about it on social media but also do something that can have a influence.

And if you are really that interested in human rights, do something locally, visit your local traveler site and see how you can help then, do volunteer work with marginilised people in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Someone jokingly referred to invading Qatar.

Kinda on point, Tony Blair tried that 20 years ago to change an Arabic country to meet our sensibilities.

Outside of a conquest of Qatar how were you going to force them to drop their religion and conform to Western values.

I think they should not have gotten it but unless the competition is restricted to a few Western countries then one must get over it.

Maybe that needs to be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That makes sense. I find the keyboard warriors quite tiresome too, so I think I can understand your frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Great game.

Qatar did a good job hosting the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

Never

But I also don't claim to give a toss about migrant workers or LGBTQ people in far away Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This is one of my favourite responses on Boards ever.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Happy for Messi but gutted for Mbappe. France will be back challenging for honours for years to come with all those youngsters coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

At least the final was entertaining, even though it felt like FIFA had told the referee it would be good to see lots of penalties. The better team won too.

Didn't think much of the tournament otherwise - bad quality playing surfaces, and the group stage was terrible. Qatar were a ludicrous choice for a host (both on and off the pitch), and I don't think they or FIFA did themselves any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

First couple of games I've watched in a long long time. Final was good but why do the refs take the abuse from players? Its crazy, anyone spekaing out of turn to ref should be carded, anyone who touches the ref should be instant red. It really ruins the event tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

What a great world cup.

So then, after all the talk pre tournament about pundits using their platform. What did they do? What has changed? Absolutely nothing except Gary Neville, Lineker and co have a few million extra in their bank account courtesy of the Qataris.

Gary Neville really grates on my tits by the way. His foray into politics will be about as successful as his foray into football management. We just want to escape the stresses of life and watch football. We don't wanna hear you shite on about UK politics and wages for nurses and bus drivers!

Darragh Maloney was painful to listen to on commentary yesterday too. Does he realise that he's not just broadcasting to Dubs? References to Beaverstown and St Annes Park and some golf club. He seemed to act like Hernandez was an absolute liability defensively. He's probably the 2nd best LB in the world behind his brother and he had no help from Mbappe defensively.

The obsession with Messi was vomit inducing. Best player of all time probably but the kick of a ball in a penalty shootout doesn't make or break him as being the best of all time like all pundits seem to think. If they could have had a Messi cam as the main broadcast feed, I think most pundits and commentators would have chosen that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have been boycotting Budweiser for years and I encourage everyone to do the same 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They were a laughing stock.

They got lucky in the sense that on the pitch it was a pretty good World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

RTE came a hair short of taking national pride in our squad for boycotting the tournament by failing to qualify.

At one point they defended their coverage of the tournament by saying at least they're in a Dublin studio, not Qatar. Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know a lad who got trapped in a Budweiser warehouse. Had to drink his own p1ss to survive. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Safest World Cup ever. And here's the reason why. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I like football, but I couldn't eat a whole one

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Any truth in the rumour that Dezzie Cahill in down in Buenos Aires for ‘de paartee’?

Seems that’s the lads total interest, not the game ….huh….yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Roz Purcell was in Beunos Aires for the final. Gone to Argentina on a big hiking holiday, coincide with the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Northernlily

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was worth it for this alone

Advertisement