Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jesus looking at some of the replies on twitter to that video, really shows the denigration that's come into the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Think the stewards got it just about right at the time. He knew the door was being closed but decided to leave the right foot down anyway. He had a previous incident with Ocon at this exact corner and Ocon got a penalty as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think Brundle called it perfectly. IMO it's racing incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Exactly what bugs me too. I don't know how you can penalise based on something that would likely have happened, if this other thing had not happened. The fact is, that reality never played out.

Either way, doesn't matter now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So he's saying he crashed into Hamilton on purpose? Because that's how it reads to me. He knew Hamilton was going to make the corner ahead of him and just decided to crash into him.

Either way, between that and the Checo stuff, not a good weekend PR wise for Max. I doubt he cares, he's still an incredible racing driver and a worthy champion but some of his quotes are just outright baffling.

Wouldn't have really argued with that outcome either during the race. It appears the stewards were at least consistent this time round though and previous comments seem to justify their decision.

Reads to me like he knew it would hurt Lewis more than him so just left his car in there. Don't think he crashed into him on purpose, more that he didn't avoid a collision when he could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really. I think it was Hamiltons fault. He closes in on Max and does not give Max enough room at the corner and that's why Max hits the side of Hamilton. Max done nothing wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

both at fault, imo.

Hamilton could have give more room, but Max was doing his usual torpedo the corner and hope the other guy bails out - Hamilton just didn't.

Remember Brazil last year where Max decided he was either going to smash into hamilton or force him off the track?

That last one is exactly what happened here, and Max took too much speed and both cars ended up off the track again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Looking at it from a racing pure racing point of view, Max dove into the corner knowing he could use Lewis as a brake of sorts. Lewis closed the door a bit too much on Max, but I think Max knew that.

If it was a walled corner, Max wouldn't have tried diving into the corner. I'd say it was a 60:40 fault with Max:Lewis, but I do feel that a 5 second penalty was a bit much.

I'd much prefer if they brought in scales. An issue like that, is 1 - 2 penalty points and no 5 second penalty. The more severe you do, the bigger the penalty.

Would just mean that drivers would pick up far more penalty points throughout the season. But equally, I'd like to see "gung ho" racing.

But why is it a 60:40 when Max’s move caused both cars to go off the track?

He wasn’t ahead going into the corner, and the only reason why he was so far alongside is because Max is carrying way too much speed going into the corner. It was the ultimate ‘move or we crash’ scenario and it’s genuinely very annoying that Max makes these moves that he has no chance of making stick unless the other driver gets out of his way. We saw it in Saudi, Brazil and Monza last year. Every time he dive bombs into the corner when he’s not on the racing line nor is he ahead.

Sorry but to say that’s a 60:40 is completely stupid. His move caused both cars to end up off the track because he took at the corner at a higher speed and a much narrower angle. It was never going to work. That has to count for a lot more than 60:40. That’s not someone who was making a clean overtake and just had the door shut on him.

EDIT: Max is well able to race clean, but it’s clear Hamilton is still inside his head and we know now just how petty Max is. He races Hamilton completely differently to he races anyone else and I would bet it’s down to Silverstone last year.

Wasn't Silverstone after max sat his car on top of Hamilton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's the grid for 2023 then, assuming Sargeant gets his points.

I think it's a good tactic for Monaco, go out early, set a fastest lap, then bin it into a wall and block the track and red flag the session.

You run the risk of requiring a gearbox change though, which would **** you over completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a tried and proven way to get a result - whether by accident or design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

Like LeClerc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's a certain skill to it obviously, you'd have to time it perfect, pick the right corner and keep your gearbox out of the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Sad to see Mick go I think there is potential there maybe with a more experience and a different team he would do better. He isn't the worst driver on the grid at least and has some merit to be there unlike the 2 Canadians who just don't deserve the seats imo.

So many rumors about the max checo thing I think I was just Max's ego more than anything. Not Monaco or mexico or Max's ma 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

On the one hand, I'm sad to see him go as I think he's done enough (just about) to deserve a third season. He was miles quicker than his team mate last year. Unfortunately nobody rates Mazepin so it doesn't count for much. He had a bad first half of this season, consistently being beaten by Magnusson who had just come off the bench, but he's improved a fair bit to the point where he's roughly at the same level as Magnusson now.

On the other hand though, I think it's fairly clear at this point that he's not destined to follow in his father's footsteps. A decent midfield driver is probably the maximum of his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So Max had to cover up for Perez cheating on his wife at Monaco. It all makes sense now.

(see Max mother deleted post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Mick's Problem is he just didn't get enough out of the car .

If you look at the bottom of table an just ignore the points , just even look at the time in the top 10. Lance Stroll whether you like him or not or hate his Daddy's money he kinda secures his place on the grid . 7 points finishes in that tractor is an extremely good performance over the year.

Mick has had been too far away from the points all the time .

Zhou as rookie gets a by because its his first season but he looks really good and competent as a driver ( Actually the best rookie in the last few years in my opinion) .He has had 3 points finishes had has been around P11 and P12 close to points far more times than Mick .

Alex Albon in a crap car worse than the Aston has had 3 top 10s and a good few at least challenging for the points .

I think Haas believe that with Hulk they can grab a few more match Kevin at least with maybe 5 points finishes they would be extracting loads from the car. Mick just seemed to get stuck at a level . whether it is the car or not you would have liked to see him at least challenge more often.

It is Rough at the top of any sport .

Post edited by Joeface on

I suspect the AM isn't as bad as peoppe make out. Its still a poor man's mercedes which should mean it's a decebt midfield car. I think they have two poor drivers and the car is good at some tracks, bad at some tracks and in between at most tracks.

I expect Alonso to get way more from it than either of the current drivers are managing and I expect him to leave Stroll in the ha'penny place.

Alonso Will probably leave Lance in his wake , but the point remains . Stroll will still get points over the season which is what puts head of Yuki , Mick Latifi for a seat . Hell he has even out performed Daniel Ric this season .

Stroll has a huge weakness and it's not the not looking in his mirrors . It's he is way to f*in Reactionary at times. Which is why he has penalty points , they were just stupid an unnecessary from him and as painful as it is typing it he has some strong points . Very good on Tire management and Strategy the team give him . And for some stupid reason he is one of the best starters on the grid . No Idea what he is doing differently but is always +2 places even more at the end of the first lap.It is some of those traits that keep him there picking up points over the season. At least he is challenging for them more often than not.

Mick was just not able to achieve that.

Stroll is better than Schumacher. I'd take Stroll over 3 drivers on this year's grid, easy (Yuki, Ricciardo and Mick).

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot about him, I've been ignoring him all year. So add Goatifi to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's pointless comparing drivers in different cars.

Surprisingly, your chart shows that Mick actually outfinished Kevin 9-7 in races where they both finished. Unfortunately for Mick, it seems the races he did well in were ones where the car wasn't particualrly strong. So some bad luck combined with wrecking the car a few times makes his season seem worse than it really was IMO

In the end your left comparing against drivers in different cars. You have to look at have they extracted as much as possible out of the machinery they are using to be in the fight for points.

If Albon is in the fight for points more times than you than you have an issue as he is clearly maximizing that car and it is not a good car. Mick is just found a little wanting in some area's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

The AM is pretty clearly the worst car on the grid at most tracks. Nyck de Vries even said as much when he was asked which car was better after driving both it and the Williams in the same weekend and he said the Williams was the faster package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah Mick has on the whole has at the very least matched Kevin. It’s amazing that people can look at the literal numbers that show Mick finished ahead more often and still come to the conclusion he didn’t get enough out of the car.

Kevin was faster in the early part of the season when there were points to be scored. Mick was faster as the year went on, as a younger driver who’s been learning and applying himself and improving. Unfortunately Haas didn’t keep up with the development race so most of his better performances were for non-points positions.

He’s also generally been given the worse strategy of the two drivers, it felt like Steiner already wanted him out mid season and was happy to continue finding ways to justify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is talk that Mick could end up at Merc as a reserve driver. I think that would be a good place for him. He is still very young and probably has more to show.

Seems like Riccardo found a home for next year.

We'll see if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ricciardo being a reserve driver would seem like a depressing way to spend a year for a driver thats been in F1 since 2011 or 2012. It might get him a seat in 2024 but surely you'd take the year off to do some other series. RedBull will probably only use him for the odd practice and promo stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He could be playing the longer game, getting back into RB when they have a championship winning car isn't a bad cll at all.

• Advertisement

If the relationship with Perez goes down the toilet, they might need a driver for 2024.

It's worth a punt for Ricciardo and maybe for Red Bull too if he shows he's fast when he's in the Red Bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya I think it's about as good as it gets for Ricciardo at this stage with no seats available for next year.

Logan Sargeant has secured the super licence points needed to take the Williams seat for next year and that's the grid complete I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's great. About time there was an American on the grid.

Hopefully he can do decent at Williams and he will be good for Willimas too maybe get them some more sponsers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If it goes wrong for Logan, he can become a Police Sergeant.

So, final standings.

Constructors

Drivers

well, a a fan of merc and Hamilton, I am glad that season is over.

Will be very interesting to see if Merc will have solved problems over the summer, or even if they have will Ferreri and RB simply pull further away cause they aren't trying to come from as far back.

And it will be interesting to see if Hamilton can beat Russell next year. Hamilton struggled at the start of the season but it was nip and tuck between them after that.

Hamilton (like Alnso) is past his best and he won't get any faster, but he'd still a top driver. Looking forward to that battle again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I'd say they would happily throw the w13 in a skip, toto said they were gonna put them in their receptions to remind them of how bad the car was and all that and inspire them to do better 🤣.

Don't get this whole oh can a team mate beat Hamilton jazz, button beat him rosberg too so Russell ain't unique. Wasn't lewis trying all the new bits and setups for the first 6 races or something?

In fairness it's his first season in 15 that he hasn't got a pole or win, most drivers would kill for a stat like that and to be that consistent. I think it's also the first year Seb didn't get a podium could be wrong.

Just hope merc get it right and we have actual competition/ a three-way fight. Rather than 1 driver winning 15 out of 22 and 1 team winning 17 out of 22 and they were just unlucky for it not to be more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement