Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

Any links for decent quality, decently priced proteins????

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah, this is getting depressing. I'm glad I went mental a while back and ended up having 6x5kg bags, but I'm down to about 3 now. I used to always get it (Impact Whey Protein) for about 50 - 70 euro per 5kg, but in the last year or so it's gone mental: 190 per 5kg if you don't have a discount code. The last order I made was 2x5kg for 135 back in April of this year. Before that was 3x5kg for 175 in November 2021. In 2019 and 2018 I was getting 3 for 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the situation of if there is a bug on the website or what, but on MyProtein BCAA 2:1:1 is cheaper than regular whey right now (usually several times more expensive). It says Was: €72.49 Now: €14.50

I just ordered 5 x 1KG for 65 quid, trying different flavours. Did I **** up? Did they?

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/essential-bcaa-2-1-1-powder/10529280.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

What's this thing about on myprotein? Looks like scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

yeah, you're only getting 3 amino acids vs 20 that are available in whey protein powder [they're 9 essential amino acids]. I don't understand why people are still going for BCAAs when EAAs or protein powder is so much wiser choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Looks like those things you can sign up to on ticketmaster after buying a ticket. Think it's a subscription type of thing

They're the three amino acids that are most important for muscle building and athletic performance, though. There is a reason BCAAs exist as a product for fitness. I'm not talking about taking these to a desert island as my only protein source, they don't need to be a complete set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I think 🤔 with the price of protein, a lot of people are going back to eating real food.

I used to blend up vegs with other stuff and couple of scoops of protein after a workout, but just can't justify the prices of protein.

Start of year around 60euro, for 5kg. Now double that with a code ,☹️😳

Couple of scoops in porridge was great for a quick protein meals, but will just have to make sure there's plenty of real protein sources in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Real food has shot up in costs too. Chicken, turkey burgers, yogurt are the main food sources of protein i use and all have increased greatly in price.

I sprinkle herbs and spices on them before cooking e.g. garlic powder, smoked paprika, piri piri powder etc to mix up the taste. Cooking on the frying pan tastes nicer than the oven which dries them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

My online coach has me eating 200g protein daily within a 2250 calorie limit. There are some really easy wins for picking up protein throughout the day without costing a fortune too; Lidl or Aldi Protein yoghurts 25g protein & 157 calories, Lidl or Aldi Protein puddings 20g protein & 160 calories, pastrami for a snack, turkey mince etc with one or 2 shakes pwo and in my overnight oats. Then you'll get other sources of protein from things like milk, peanut butter etc. it soon all starts adding up quite easily without restricting you to chicken and eggs. My diet is quite varied each day and i've better adherence than i've had to any meal plan because i can decide what i eat and when, as long as the two main factors are met. Myfitnesspal is a pain the arse at the beginning but its really helpful and becomes second nature. Mess about with that and you'll quickly find a rhythm that works

Your weight can do two things: go up or down. Your body fat can do two things: go up or go down. Your muscle mass can do things: go up or down. If you want your total body weight to go down you need a caloric deficit, and vice versa to gain weight. Trying to both lose body fat and also gain muscle is a bit of a magic trick: extremely difficult to pull off. Your body needs calories to build muscle, and if you're in a deficit to lose weight your body is going to be very reluctant to spend precious calories on new muscle while it's losing fat.

So as a rule you are either bulking, meaning you're eating a calorie surplus, to gain muscle. Or you're cutting, eating a calorie deficit, to lose fat. Either way you should keep your protein levels up for muscle health/growth.

Early on your priority should be to get into good eating habits, develop baseline strength (not necessarily requiring bigger muscles), and improve cardiovascular performance. Early on you'll be able to pull off the magic trick a little bit if your starting muscle mass is low, but after a while you'll have to decide whether you're going to bulk or cut.

If you hope to bulk up muscle while losing overall weight you're probably going to find it a bit frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This looks like unbelievable value to me in the current market - 2.5kg of Milk Protein (78% protein) for €25.76 with code BEAST

Good spot.

Would imagine this is more like a casein with slower absorption which means it will be a much thicker shake for anyone who doesn't know and won't mix as easily in food like oats /yogurt.

Haven't tried it myself but figure that's how it might turn out. Nice snack pre bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Doesn’t mix well… it’s like sand going down

Yeah, I tried casein before and it doesn't dissolve nearly as well, kind of gritty. I did read a study that showed gram for gram casein actually result in better gains than whey; they speculated it was because casein is absorbed more slowly so it becomes available as its needed rather than whey which is all at once.

Not worth it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've switched to the Protein Blends - still paying more than we were for Whey a year ago. But still coming out around 42c per 30g (25g protein) serving which you'd be hard pressed to get with whole foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are these blends on the Myprotein site? Anybody know of any deals out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Keep an eye on MyProtein for a good sale. I ordered the below and it landed on Friday. It's fine for what I want it for - mixing through oats and yogurt but it is a little chalky and lacking in flavour for mixing in liquids

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Mind me asking a quick question on this? Per scoop of protein powder, how much yoghurt would you have? I’ve been using those 200g yoghurt pots for my lunch as a steady source of protein. Does get costly buying enough on a weekly basis and came across your post about using the big tub. Said I might ask for some advice as to how much you would have in a serving and how much protein powder you would have in it so I’m not wasting yogurt and protein powder trying the right balance that it blends up and I’m not eating bits of powder!

• Advertisement

Spotted 5kg casein slow-release protein for €65.39 (€108.99 - €43.60 FAST code discount).

82% protein.

Good deal if casein is your staple.

Wouldn't recommend it for people thinking it's a direct replacement for whey, simply based on mixability. It's much thicker, almost paste like. Won't mix well with food.

But for a person aware of that and just wanting a slower digesting protein, it's a decent price.

Wouldn't recommend it for people thinking it's a direct replacement for whey, simply based on mixability. It's much thicker, almost paste like. Won't mix well with food.

Yes, I discovered this the hard way after trying to mix up a scoop with half a cup of water; the result was terrible, in terms of both taste and texture/thickness.

But the good news is I found a solution: just use 30:70 or maybe even 50:50 casein:whey and it's grand for both texture and taste. Sorted.

Not tried the impact native whey isolate before, but for €12.80kg delivered, it's worth a shot. Sourced from French milk, but 86% protein.

The hydrolysed whey protein is unflavoured and I've used before, 78% protein and works out at €11.80kg delivered.

Couple of good deals there if anyone is looking to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What's a decent price point for protein lately? I've a few weeks supply left but trying to keep an eye out for deals when they come up. Not sure when to pull the trigger though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Need to order next week & prices are gone way up from last time i bought ( months ago).

Have i any hope of getting good value from €50 spend? max two shakes per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Likewise. I've resorted to eating more real food that is high in protein.

Best chance is Black Friday, and going blends rather than Whey.

Black Friday is more often than not a disappointment.

It's marketing activity designed to draw in the unsavvy buyer who thinks they are getting value because they don't know any better. The protein suppliers are experts but not exclusive to this.

What's the benchmark for a deal/value you might ask?

€15 or less per kg delivered with a protein % greater than 78% is good criteria to start with.

• Advertisement

Black Friday in general yes, but while it remains to be seen this year, myprotein had deals about as good as they (myprotein) get last year. 47% is the best I regularly see, but iirc they peaked at 50%+ last year for a period.

Advertisement