Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be an obesity tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What’s only a matter of time? From reading that article its point appears to be that obesity is already now being treated as a disease, so only a matter of time for what?

It should be obvious by now that a tax on people who are obese isn’t going to happen, which appears to have been your original point, but a few posts above you suggest your point was that crappy food should be subject to extra tax in the same way as cigarettes and alcohol, and that already happens too, so what else is only a matter of time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

and a great many more illnesses caused by inadequate food.

I think people who live unhealthy lifestyles should be removed from organ donor waiting lists and refused medical care lest they "overwhelm the health service".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't think its a coincidence that its in the last few decades obesity has become a problem not just in this country but all over the world.

I was the fat kid and it was no mystery how I got that way, eating all the wrong stuff and while I was active enough as a child it wasn't until I cut out the junk food and exercised more that the weight came off.

I have remained the same weight for the last 30 years, fatties need to stop blaming everyone else for the state they are in and do something about it.

Back when I was overweight I was about the only one in school like that but these days fat kids are way more common, its in the next 20 to 30 years the sh1t is going to hit the fan unless something is done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Hang on now, Ireland was an obese nation before the lockdown.

Completely agree; it's a question of personal responsibility.

Sometimes, their dreadful defence of, "Oh, it's my genes...", is levitated in front of our eyes.

Well, if you know your genes predispose you to gain more weight than normal, then perhaps you should be particularly effective at eating well and exercising more. Often, they don't change their diet or exercise, and point the finger at the genes. And no, even if your genes are bad, eating lettuce and cucumbers and smoked salmon won't deliver the beer belly you currently enjoy.

It's an epic failure of personal responsibility.

Obesity tax is unlikely to work. Just like alcoholics, fat people will always find their source of calories - no matter what.

This is a long-term question, therefore education and informing the upcoming generation matters far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Juran

Went to Italy over the weekend. It really stands out how slim the Italians are ... girls in teenage & 20's I would call skinny, like Ireland in the 70's and before then.

Ladies in their 30's to 40's I would call slim, and 50's I would say in good shape. Some dumpy old ladies to be seen fair enough.

Most men young and older slim and trim.

In resturants they eat big meals, pasta & meat dish ... but I suspect thats all they really eat in a day.

And similar in spain, france, etc.. rear to see overweight young people.

Ireland really needs to invest & focus on sports for young girls. Only the minority play sports in their teens & 20's....when we were that age, we were out playing soccer most evenings with neighbors, sports at school, sports at the youth club, cycling to get from A to B. These days, most young girls in school uniforms, only 16 or 17 years old are carrying extra weight .. not all of them, but a high enough %.

I've said this before on boards, I travelled a lot in europe and asia, and i never see kids walking around the streets eating crips and sweets. They might get a few at home as a treat. Our local.shop .. all you see is kids walking out eating share size crips, soda drinks, choc bars, etc .. eating while walking back to.school, or home from.school, or on a weekend afternoon. I wonder are parents aware of how much their kids eat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Elon Musk

Of course far too many obese fat folk waddling about putting a huge strain on the HSE and it's entirely self-inflicted. I mean it's bizarre people will condemn drug addicts with disgusting terms like 'junkies' saying it's self inflicted but dance around morbidly obese people calling them 'curvy' etc.

I do think if obese people spill into second seat on buses or airplanes etc they should have to pay for the second seat also

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lol pretending to care about the HSE.

scarleh for ya to be honest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Perhaps an ignorance tax is what society needs most.

I'm obese and I don't even have a functioning stomach.

Don't worry though, I have private health insurance so that few euros you pay in tax won't be used for my healthcare.

Obesity is a medical disease and is caused by many different factors I can't post links so you'll have to look at MayoClinic or NICHD yourself.

Yes we should put children like Harvey Price in cages before a flight because his disability offends you.

Misinformation^ Flag. People with a underlying conditions may have no choice due to medication or Binge Eating Disorder which affects .42% to 1.6% of the population.

Just because you dislike it and believe in misinformation doesn't negate the fact that what the OP proposes is a sickness/illness/disability tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

OK that accounts for a tiny proportion of the obese in Ireland. Can we agree that the rest, which is the overwhelming majority based on your statistics, are choosing to be obese?

No I mentioned one condition and one causation. Listen to experts in the medical field not some angry man on Boards.ie. People have obesity, what you're doing is adding to the stigma which continues the cycle.

Nobody, in full health, chooses obesity.

It's a miserable life, exacerbated by people like you.

I'm going to delete account now because there's no point in engaging with the type of people who use Boards especially these forums, I only came on for a Bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Loads of people choose obesity. Huge numbers of people choose to eat poor quality food, not exercise, consume too much alcohol and many other things that contribute to their weight. Then too many people try to say its not their fault, when it can be fixed with a bit of effort, but again they choose not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Agreed, a mate of mine who is skinny as a rake has high cholesterol from his recent blood test. 54 yrs of age

You’re betraying your intelligence. You don’t understand choosing food in a supermarket doesn’t mean you have choice.

What about the binge eater who chooses the cheapest pack of biscuits so they can purge till their throat bleeds, is that a choice?

The mother of an autistic child who will only eat nuggets, have they a choice?

Look up empathy in the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When it comes to 'stigma' I think the stigma actually comes from within. I think it's ones subconscious trying to tell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you can’t debate me, report me, it might speed up my request for deletion.

You asked for "debate" above. I am not sure I can offer that but I can at least offer you conversation if you want it. Which is not clear because you indicated you were leaving but then demonstrably stayed. So if you want to patronize people that they should look up the word "empathy" then you might return empathy in kind and realize you are giving off mixed signals here which can confuse. I am also not sure lecturing people on empathy in the same breath as making snide comments about their intelligence is a good look?

I believe every good conversation starts with steel manning the other person. So I have to start by saying I 100% agree with you pushing back on those who just shout that obesity is a choice. Such people are over simplifying the issue in the same way as saying that alcoholism is a choice. There is absolutely no nuance in such statements.

Rather what things like obesity for many people is - is a long series of micro choices. Many of which seemed mundane, irrelevant, or insignificant at the time. All of which summed over probably a significant span of time to leave the person in a situation that is difficult to dig back out of. And individually not all of those choices were in and of themselves bad ones either. It is quite possible in this life to even make a series of micro good choices the sum result of which turns out to be bad. Such is life alas.

In other words choice absolutely was an element over time but not remotely in the way that people sloganeering "obesity is a choice" are giving credit for. And certainly it does not give us a pedestal to automatically assume any or all of those choices were bad ones. Some likely were. Others not so much.

At the same time though I think appeals to exceptions and medical cases such as you have made are a red herring. People with binge eating disorders or extreme mental and medical issues or purging to the point of bleeding are an important and valuable conversation in and of themselves. We can have that conversation and oceans of empathy for such people without curtailing or impinging on any conversation of what has most obese people obese most of the time.

So in that sense I fall somewhat between you and the sloganeers above on the continuum in this conversation. Likely closer to your end of that continuum than theirs I am guessing. But certainly we are likely to find significant day light between us all the same were we to go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

My friend is very fat and she is taller than me and eats far less than me. I am normal a size 12 i eat well and like a few treats but i cycle swim look after animals so am a busy bee. My friend walks and eats very little BUT she snorkels the red wine, ( buys by the case|) i rarely drink and i believe the calories in alcohol s like wine & beer are very much responsible for the obesity in adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Advertisement