Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be an obesity tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying muscles turn to fat? Or excess calories do?

I've got around 12% fat and I'm considered overweight. I'm not big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Won’t be long for us to be the same as the US unfortunately, if drastic measures are not put in place ASAP.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Yes I can imagine all those things for the extreme cases are hard I really can, anybody that size first bit of advice is take the strain off the joints definitely don’t attempt to run. I see a good few really heavy ones now at my local pool, I swim regularly and it’s great to see them do it small steps is the way to go.

But most over weight people haven’t got to the extreme stage of obesity they need to make the changes now before they go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Agreed. We slowly follow them in so many ways, and average waist size is now upon us.

I was on a bus in Miami last week and an obese man took up 2 full seats, 1 arse cheek on each he was so massive. Presumably he only paid 1 fare. At least the airlines charge them for 2 seats. Maybe that's the obesity tax we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are we back to cave men had the willpower not to need hospitals.

Sounds like it's fat / boot camps you want not taxes.

when I was a teenager I ate like a horse and never gained weight. Used to play video games most of my waking hours.

Metabolism yo.

The other difference is you probably only ate when hungry and it's was fuel. You didn't go out of you way to eat when you didn't need to just for the pleasure or comfort or habit. You probably inadvertently fasted when you skipped meals or had small portions to save time as you rushed to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People will tax fat people for they ever consider taxing the rich

Irony too great

• Advertisement

They already do in Ireland. Actually not rich at all and you're taxed as rich.

Out of interest what do you consider rich?

Can only speak for myself of course. But if I had to pick one single decision/action from the last 20 years which I think had the most overall positive impact on my life - getting rid of all the TVs and never buying another one would be on the short list. Probably second only to the day I took up Jujitsu.

From mental well being to healthy life style - that single choice has cascaded through everything in a positive way.

I was only just shopping a little while ago. And this highly rotund pre-teen boy was standing in the aisle with a "Cadbury Flake Celebration Cake" in each hand. Clearly not a diet choice his current figure would seem to be recommending to him and even less so to his parents.

But what struck me more was he was just standing there calling for his "parent" to bring the trolley over to him to put the cakes in. The thought he could literally carry the two cakes to the trolley seemed not to have occurred to him on any level. He then also had to place the cake in sideways because the reach of his arms was not such that he could face the trolley and reach it over his stomach.

It is likely incidents and families like that one which motivates people like the OP to want to intercede on a taxation level. Weight loss is complex and nuanced and difficult as many users have rightly pointed out. And it is impossible to know any random individuals life circumstances.

But it is hard to look at something like that and not fall instantly into the "these people are doing it to themselves and simply can not be bothered to do it any other way" head space which clearly motivates the OP to make threads like this one looking for simplistic quick fixes to berate such people with.

Certainly simple. But a fix? I don't think so.

You can still over eat and not have a TV. But what you are talking about is finding a interest or motivation in something else. It's one thing finding it for you yourself. It's another doing it for others.

Exactly. Which is why I was so careful to start the post with "I can only speak for myself here".

But it speaks to why the "Just use willpower" types on the thread are missing the nuance. Willpower does not exist in a vacuum. It exists in the persons lived reality. And a person with all the willpower in the world can actually fare worse than someone with very little of it. If the lived circumstance of the latter is putting less pressure on willpower than the former.

As I wrote in my first post to you - exercise for many goes far beyond merely what calories they burn in the moment. Rather it has the potential to change many other aspects of that person's lived reality which feed positively back into factors affecting weight. So weight gain, weight loss, and relationships with food are massively more nuanced and intricate than many people on threads like this wish to portray. Especially the simplistic "just stop stuffing food in your face hole" or "Just tax it and they will stop buying it" types.

I have no issue with the benefits of exercise.

But when it comes to over eating I don't think it's as simplistic as many here seem to think. Most of the things being suggested haven't worked.

Are you going to have an anorexia tax, for the people who use up loads of medical resources?

There's a difference between lazy fat, socially fat, and compulsive overeating or depression led comfort eating. Can you easily decide which is which?

Those extreme eating disorders affect a small number of people, 60% of the adult population is overweight and getting heavier this needs to be tackled now enough of the excuses.

We also have a large issue with undiagnosed depression in this county, would you not think to tackle this first (which is often linked to overeating)...?

Absolutely mental health is important, but we need some solutions from those in power for the health of the nation. I really think if we increase taxes/prices on junk food and coupled with other measures said earlier in thread we can change course on this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you’re having direct conversations with lawmakers because of your money and influence over them you’re too rich.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Not many people chose to be obese, it is a symptom of mental illness in many cases. In my case I essentially use food as an anti depressant but I am in the process of losing weight. Life is very difficult without my drug of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭babyducklings1

Junk food in the supermarket is still fairly cheap and easy and fast to cook. Now a proactive solution could be to have healthy meal menus on display in the supermarkets like meal suggestions for healthy eating, it a bit sad and maybe nanny stateish considering how much beautiful and nutritious food we have available here but sadly people don’t know how to cook or have absolutely no time to do so due to work, life pressures etc. You see young people walking around everyday, very obese, it’s terrible, We need to find ways to reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Juran

The Irish benefit system has ruined many aspects of our society, and now peoples health.

Our grandparents generation didnt have much, no generous dole handouts, but they worked hard working in the fields to grow & harvest food, work on the bog, work on farms, fished, harvested seaweed, cleaned houses, cleaned hospitals, railroads, built roads, etc. And this included the women. The women worked inside and outside the house all day. Physical activity and non processed food kept them.slim and fit.

Today's generation who don't work (I mean out of choice, not sick, disabled or are carers), do nothing. Its all handed to them .. housing, money, medical treatments, etc.

I would like to see a study of the correlation between BMI and those on benefits (job seekers, single mothers) and those who work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've often raised the subject of a tax on sugar or sweets, rather than on obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is mechanisation that removed all of those jobs, not the irish benefits system which is fine and not responsible for anything of itself.

even if ireland had no benefits system there would be no return to those jobs requiring lots of people to do them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Why not, booze and cigarettes are taxed heavily, why should crappy food get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I can't help but feel this would have been a far more interesting thread if every poster was obligated to display their age, sex, height, and weight every time they made a comment! 😁

(Oh! For the record, 50, M, a respectable 188cm tall, struggling to maintain 85 kilos but I reckon I can pull it off with my age and height).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It would be just more paying into a system where the majority of money is wasted.

Advertisement