Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If its an old house, there must be options for hard wiring, even wiring outdoor routes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tis a listed building and all the walls are very thick, I'd have nightmares even thinking about doing cable runs!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And the thick walls may present a problem for the WiFi signal as well - It might mean you need more nodes to ensure coverage in the whole house.

Definitely make sure that whatever one you buy can support more units as you might need to have 4 or 5 units to actually cover the entire building.

You don't mention if it's single story or if there is an upstairs (I assume there is given the quoted size of the building) but that's a factor as well.. you may need to have several units upstairs as well depending on the wall construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Many thanks - appreciate your replies.

I will try to hardwire whatever I can.

Unfortunately I only had 30-day return on the Google Wifi, but it is still going in the bin.

I will order something new - looking around if I want tri-band, wifi 6 and three devices, the choice seems to be Linksys Velop MX12600, TP Link Deco XE75, or Netgear Orbi RBK753. All of these come close to 500, the Linksys is the cheapest at 439.

Any thoughts on these criteria and options?

Do your Google wifi mesh devices have ethernet ports? If so and you can get cables to them that would fix your issues and save buying anything else! You don't need triband if you have ethernet backhaul. I'm not sure if Google wifi comes with ethernet on the nodes?

My son has Linksys Velop, they are really good. Failing that I'd take a chance on TP Link as I've had good success with their products before. Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The Google WiFi is just terrible when it comes to reliability. I can live with the speeds but devices cutting out non stop. Before I installed it I had the 10 year old router that I got from my ISP and it did a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Asus ZenWifi and Blink Camera Can't Connect.

I'd really appreciate a bit of help here.

I have an Asus ZenWifi AX mesh system connected to an Imagine router.

I've found it great, made a huge difference to signals around the house.

But today I got a Blink camera from Amazon and no way, no how, will it connect to the mesh wifi.

I think it might be something to do with the combination of Imagine router and Asus Mesh.

When I originally got the ZenWifi, I got on to Imagine support about putting their modem-router into bridged mode.

They said I didn't need to do that.. just turn off the wifi on the modem-router and connect the Zenwifi via ethernet cable.

So I did that .. and its been working fine. TV connected to the Mesh etc etc..

BUT (a) i'm not sure were Imagine fobbing me off and (b) not sure what mode I should be running the ZenWifi in.. it can be in Wireless Router mode or Access Point mode.. I currently have it in Access Point mode..

And of course I'm wondering if that is overkill.. cos .. well.. does it mean that I have two firewalls.. etc..

One thing at the moment is that the ZenWifi is unable to check for updates.. no idea why.. it just fails when i click the button..

Not sure the Imagine router is getting in the way somehow?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this.. and if you have anything to pass on I'd appreciate it...

Access point mode is what you want, but by doing this you will lose as the bells and whistles features as you are not routing, but seen as imagine cannot bridge their router this is the best you can do. Access point mode is just WiFi, no routing, no firewall.

For your Blink camera, I believe these only use the 2.4ghz radio so you should login to your Asus and try separating the bands, name the 2.4ghz SSID different to the 5ghz

https://qin.tuyacn.com/privacy-policy/en/K9628211ka53d/index

Yah, you're right.. they are 2.4Ghz only.

I already have the bands separated and with different SSID's

I'll have to try changing to AP mode tonight and see.. can't risk it during the day as the wife and I are both working from home.. there'd be ructions if it went wrong.. 🙄

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Imagine can and do support Bridge mode for their routers.

Using the Mesh router will probably be better in general as I expect that the mesh router has better features around access control and VPN's etc.

Some of their older kit (like 4+ years ago) does not support Bridge mode , but you can get the router replaced for a €100 call out fee if required - They will replace the router and the antenna as part of this visit.

I had to do that when I got my Mesh system , but if you have a newer router you may not need to do this step.

Once you have the new router you just need to call them and ask them to make the change - They asked me to send an email explaining that I accepted the risks of using Bridge mode (security, availability etc.) and once or twice when I have called them to Troubleshoot connectivity issues they swap it back to do their testing.

Hiya,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yeah, Imagine point blank refused to do that for me.. felt like I was being fobbed off at the time.. and then when the mesh worked okay I just left it.

I'm out of contract with them and rather than hand them another €100 I'm going to stick it out..

The NBP eejits have revised my connection date to September now so I'll hold out and see... tho this is the 3rd connection date I got so far.. sigh..

Here's hopin that sub 10MBs speeds of a saturday night becomes a distant memory soon...

I'll try changin to AP mode tonight and see what gives.

Thanks again

Ok looking for info. I bought a Linksys Velop on Amazon but I'm sending it right back. You see I have a decent Mikrotik rack mount router and switch and have Ethernet throughout the house from this switch. I set the Linksys Velop to bridge mode but the child node wouldn't connect to the main Velop through the switch, it wanted direct cable. Besides that I also hated the app, it doesn't give me many options to configure, guess I'm more used to enterprise gear as I work in the industry. Is there an option for another mesh that will work over an existing wired network where the child nodes will work through a switch and not need to be directly connected to the parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

TP-Link Deco should do that for you.

Given your existing gear though Ubiquiti gear might suit you better (you will need to host a controller as well as the AP's though). TP-Link Omada would probably do similar.

Yeah I should've said I don't want Ubiquiti, I've fitted lots of them for work want something else to play with. I had considered Deco, but then I saw Mikrotik have a new ax range coming out any day so will probably hold off for that

Just as a follow-up.

The Asus ZenWifi AX just doesn't work with the Blink camera. The Blink support just gave up in the end.

Setting it int AP mode with the Imagine router made no difference.

Lots of other devices, smart plugs , Echos, etc, are connecting to it no problem.. just the Blink cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Hi lads, I just wanted to clarify something if possible - I currently have Vodafone FTTH and Google Mesh. I find the google mesh to be a bit crap, the coverage isn't great on the satellite, so I am looking to change. I live in a new build with that has Cat 6 cabling in most rooms. From reading the comments here I am thinking of going with a UniFi6 Lite AP or two instead. Do I need to have a router with these AP's or can they act as the router i.e. can I just plug one of them directly into the ONT and off I go or do I need to have something in between? Sorry I know its probably a stupid question but I am just trying to figure out exactly what I need to get in this setup. At the moment I am thinking of 2 AP's, and a cheapish POE switch to get me going. As far as I understand I can use my phone or a PC as the console to set them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They are just access points, you still need a router. I have a full ubiquiti set up which might be overkill but if you want the full unifi effect id recommend that you get a dream machine (router and switch) and you can run the access points off that. You can plug the unifi router directly to the ont but there a few settings you need to set before itll work.

see settings below, basically if you are replacing the router you need one where you can set a vlan id.

Thanks a mill for the quick reply. When you mention a dream machine do you one of these - https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/unifi-dream-machine?_pos=1&_sid=d358002ec&_ss=r? Its a bit more than I would like to spend at the moment and it is probably more than I need but it does look like a great setup! I knew about the VLAN's alright - I had to put a cheap managed switch in place for vlan tagging to get the Google setup.

If I am reading your reply right could I use the Vodafone router, turn off the wifi on it and use these as the APs? Or could you recommend a mesh or other system? Basically as my house is wired I want to try to use it to the best of its abilities but I am totally confused as to what will give me the best bang for my book. I'd like to keep it under €200/€250 if possible

yes you could do that just use the existing router and turn off the wifi and use the unifi aps, you are on the right track with wired access points.

if you decide you want to change things in the future you could go for the dream machine set up, its addictive kit....

the dream machine has an ap built in aswell by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

The new Dream Router is a bit cheaper than the Dream Machine and may be a better value proposition, it also has an AP built in. If you need 2 AP's though it will still put you over your budget to add a second AP with it.

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/dream-router

Thank you, I hadn't seen that. It does look like a good piece of kit. Looking into it, it isn't as powerful as the UDM but it has wifi 6 and has POE so might be more suited to my scenario - I am not running too much on my network I just want to have decent speeds and coverage and future proof it a bit in case I want to get more into in the future. Stupid question but can I power the UniFi6 Lite AP off the POE ports on the UDR? My assumption is you can but I just want to make sure.

yes you can run them off the poe, so plug an ethernet cable from the UDR into your patch panel and then plug your AP into the corresponding ethernet point wherever in the house and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

What do ye think of the new Google Nest Wifi Pro?

Im looking into it but they only come in sets of 1 or 3. 1 isn't enough and 3 is too much!!

Might go with Nest Wifi instead and see how that is. Have 1Gb with Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a Google mesh wifi, 2x nest & 1xgoogle wifi on one system. Broadband is 500mb. Can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

Ended up getting a Netgear Orbi and a Nest Wifi just to compare the 2. The Orbi was able to connect directly into the ONT with its VLAN tag support. It's wifi6 so i was getting around 800Mb which was fantastic. But for some reason the second satellite, though ethernet-backhauled was only able to pull about 300Mb down!

Set up the Nest wifi and it only gets about 500Mb down but near the full Gb on ethernet. I'd rather faster ethernet than wifi so im keeping the Nest, and still debating an upgrade to the Pro.

The beta of the Home app allows you to manually set the VLAN tag but I'm not in the beta yet so still using the Sky modem in between for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Looking for some advice, my bro has a 4-5,000 sqft house across 3 floors. The house has concrete floors, high insulation etc so a nightmare to get wifi working around it.

I had got standard TP-Link hotspots and he used and they worked ok. He wanted to go mesh as kids are bigger and have more devices etc. He has also got connected now to the proper 1GB BB

He has a Linksys mesh across 2 floors but even at that they are struggling to interconnect to each other. He has 3 devices. THey are the Linksys Velop dual band, if he brings closer together they work perfect but miss areas of house etc

He is looking for a system which would use the power lines like the TP-Link. Any recommendations? because the house is already built and 2 storey etc he doesn't have the option to retrofit network cables

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have a 200sqm bungalow with and all walls are solid inside. When researching the NETGEAR Orbi and Linksys Velop were meant to be the best for signal through masonry. I went with the Orbi. One router and 2 satellites. Did the trick. However the previous owners had wired for a satellite at one end of the house so it obviously helped. I have no problem with signal inside and for much of the garden. It really would help if your brother could even get one Ethernet cable from the router connected to a satellite on the first floor and then other satellites could daisy chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

How well works a single nest wifi work in a 3bed semi-d timber framed 125m2

i have more the attic connected so i struggle with floor 2 where at the ground and for 1 are 250mb

i know it ain’t triband and wifi 6 but at €49 is it a good option

i want to add the point to reduce on BW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had a bit of difficulty understanding your post, but will say this... The major benefit is that it is a mesh system, if you're not getting good coverage with your current router, them a single module would only offer minor benefits... I'd recommend using two modules (at least) through a 3 bed house... That should be plenty and should help with whatever is happening in the attic. Put one downstairs and one upstairs on the opposite side of the house.

Advertisement