Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Oh there was Cybermen! Oh and Daleks! But they were friends because they wanted to get the Doctor. Oh oh and then the Mater was there! Yeah and he was very annoyed! And and and there was a volcano yeah! And loads of Doctors and their companions! And Ace jumped off a building but then the building blew up - kaboom! Oh and you know what? You know what? Then then the Doctor gets a regeneration yeah but wow! Wow it was like the same Doctor again!! Mummy - I have an idea for new Doctor Who that I want to make when I grow up"- Chris Chibnall's dream journal, aged 16, 1988. Recovered in 2021 and adapted as a TV special.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder when ncuti will take over...

Tenant is rumored to be filming 3 specials in total for next year. Most obvious choice is ncuti takes over at the end of them. Sure you see him wearing Tenants shirt and tie loosened.

Chibnall stated he wrote his last episode independent of who took over next but also stated "it fits in quite nicely" with what RTD does next. Personally, I think there would have been some cross over between both showrunners even if it was just a case of RTD knowing what would happen before he put pen to paper for his episodes.

So in the last episode we saw the old doctors all in the doctors head while she was in a limbo of sorts. Could ncuti be there too now? Rtd will have to explain why the 10th regenerated and a way to transition into ncuti. Could the tenth doctor back again be explained as an anomaly. He's in control but ncuti is in the limbo place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seeing as Jodie's clothes also "regenerated" into Tennants (something that didn't happen in the regeneration earlier in the show or, I think, ever in nuWho) I would thing something is very wrong with this regeneration, or it is not a regeneration at all and something else timey-wimey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say it's very likely something's wrong; it has kinda become tradition that each regeneration comes with a hangover of sorts. Kinda started with Tom Baker and has been this way ever since. Erratic behaviour, general disorientation and so on; or in Colin Baker's case, attempted murder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the Telegraph is to be believed (which, ya know, debatable), Disney are going to be injecting not just cash but will be co-producing the new seasons,; that RTD will still have creative control but the Mouse House will have some say in how it's made. All very curious and does make you wonder where this is headed.

The idea Disney now have a hand in yet another pop culture IP is kind a depressing.

It is understood that Disney will have a creative input in the series, and will also handle all distribution outside the UK, meaning it will stream worldwide on Disney +. The expected budgets involved in future series production are commercially sensitive, and have not been revealed.

The BBC will retain ultimate editorial control of future series, The Telegraph understands, so the tone and content of the show may not deviate dramatically from the canon of Doctor Who.

The public service broadcaster also retains the intellectual property rights to Doctor Who, so Disney will be unable to produce spin-offs of other material based on the concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I was surprised Captain Jack didn’t make an appearance as well as Clara & Rose. They really threw everything at it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It leaves more questions than answers; I doubt Disney are simply offering the BBC a blank chequebook, and reads like they'll have some kind of say in the production. But then if RTD has full creative control, what say would they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lets hope it is nothing like Miracle Day then.

Utter garbage from the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In fairness, 90% of Torchwood was tish regardless of where it was produced with a couple of exceptions (CoE, being the obvious one). How Chibnall got the hotseat on the mothership after the first 2 seasons of whatever OG Torchwood was still baffles me — Broadchurch wasn't that good as to offset it like.

• Advertisement

That's true. Children of Earth did a lot of heavy lifting regards Torchwood's lasting reputation. Season 1 was godawful, Season 2 marginally better. Never watched Miracle Day past the first episode TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I quite enjoyed Season 2 of Torchwood. Season 1 was godawful bar a couple of exceptions. Enjoyed the existential horror aspects of Miracle Day for the first few eps, but then it descended into silly season.

Only watched the first season of Jodie Whittaker's run. Was too bored to tune in after that. A shame as I wanted her to do well as the first female Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Yes I noticed that about the regeneration too. Very timey wimme with a small touch of custard and fish fingers. I take the show as it comes now, pc and all that.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I can't remember who said Season 2 of Torchwood was a massive improvement over Season 1 without actually managing to be that good, but I always quite liked that as a review. Miracle Day was a decent concept absolutely cursed with 5 episodes too many. RTD legitimately ran out of things for Gwen to do, so she spends mid-season zipping back-and-forth across the Atlantic just to keep the character busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I remember thinking that despite Sarah Jane Adventures being the kids show and Torchwood being the adult show, some of the storylines on SJA were vastly more mature than TW. Aliens can't cure Alzheimers, Sarah Jane's best friend killed when they were teenagers, why kids like war games, all within the first season. Meanwhile get a sexy cyberman in a bikini on Torchwood.

How many episodes were there between last week and Flux, not seen anything in between those two. Jodie was a good Doctor, just let down by Chibnall. I hope she gets a part to play in the 60th, even if it's just a "No sir, all 15" kind of cameo.

Saw on Twitter 😅

Not sure about this tbh. It's not like Tennant was going to be shown wearing something really effeminate like a frilly frock or whatever.

That seems oversensitive on Davies's part; I had half presumed Whitaker's costume was chosen precisely because it wasn't overly feminine in the first place, with an eye towards both the regeneration - and cosplay. That both boys and girls, men and women could dress up as her. The trousers perhaps the most open a nod towards gender, but nothing so extreme that Tennant wearing it would have looked ludicrous.

So indeed it means it's going to be some glib bit of blather nonsense to explain the clothes change. Great start to the Messiah returning. Does seem apt that even in her final moments, the production couldn't commit to Whitaker's doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But...didn't the Master end up in her clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

Yes he did and proceed to change clothes after it, so what was she wearing after been returned?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

His comments are a bit more considerate than the headline suggests but I still disagree. It would have been very easy to avoid by just shooting Tenant above the waist or even just a close up of his face. The fact that he was in women's clothing might also have added to his "What? What? What?"

Uttering his “what, what, what!?” catchphrase from his tenure as the 10th Doctor, the return of David Tennant poses a lot of questions. https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/power-of-the-doctor-canon-changes-david-tennant-jodie-whittaker

Tenth Doctor Says What

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For those who can get the BBC iPlayer

The TARDIS doors are being thrown wide open as BBC iPlayer welcomes the biggest collection of Doctor Who to the platform with hundreds of episodes becoming available with multiple accessibility features for the first time.

Before the Anniversary Specials hit our screens, viewers will have the opportunity to travel back in time with any of the Doctors through the show’s 60 year history with the classic series, as well as explore the vast world of Doctor Who with spin-offs like The Sarah Jane Adventures, Torchwood and Class, or step behind-the-scenes with every episode of Doctor Who Confidential – all available in one place - BBC iPlayer.

But not including the very first Four Episodes and story, "An Unearthly Child". Basically a rights squabble from the son of the original story's writer.

Funny cos that story had a much different Doctor to what we came to know - including attempted murder, his hand stayed by one of the human companions.

Lost Doctor Who episodes found – but owner is reluctant to hand them to BBC

For Doctor Who-lovers they are the missing crown jewels: lost episodes of the first series of the TV sci-fi drama, shown in the 1960s. But now film recordings of not just one, but two of the early BBC adventures, both featuring the first doctor, William Hartnell, has been found in Britain by amateur sleuths.

The episodes, one featuring the Daleks, would offer viewers a chance to travel back in time without the use of a Tardis. But the Observer has learned that the owners of the rare, rediscovered footage are not prepared to hand it over to the BBC, even as the clock ticks down to the 60th anniversary of the show’s launch this month.

Veteran film collector John Franklin believes the answer is for the BBC to announce an immediate general amnesty on missing film footage.

This would reassure British amateur collectors that their private archives will not be confiscated if they come forward and that they will be safe from prosecution for having stored stolen BBC property, something several fear.

“Some of these collectors are terrified,” said Franklin, who knows the location of the two missing Doctor Who episodes, along with several other newly discovered TV treasures, including an episode of the The Basil Brush Show, the second to be unearthed this autumn. “We now need to catalogue and save the significant television shows that are out there. If we are not careful they will eventually be dumped again in house clearances, because a lot of the owners of these important collections are now in their 80s and are very wary,” he added.

Discarded TV film was secretly salvaged from bins and skips by staff and contractors who worked at the BBC between 1967 and 1978, when the corporation had a policy of throwing out old reels. And Hartnell’s Doctor Who episodes were far from the only ones to go. Many popular shows were lost and other Doctor Who adventures starring Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee were either jettisoned or erased. A missing early episode of the long-running sitcom Sykes, starring Eric Sykes and Hattie Jacques, has also been rediscovered in private hands in the last few weeks............

From what I've heard, that John Franklin person is a total tosspot and no sum of money is going to be enough to convince him to share the episodes.

Tom Barker turned 90 yesterday.

Is that a photo? Man time is unkind in so man ways, though 90 is a helluva age, but hope Tom still has all his facilities; last I heard he was recording new adventures for Big Finish

Post edited by pixelburp on

Yeah I remember being shocked by the original photo that came out of him. Apparently he's in good health though just lost a lot of weight. I'm just so used to seeing him with chubby cheeks. Also I think he looks extra thin/frail in the photos because he's wearing clothes that were made to fit his original weight. I've seen a few of him in normal clothes and he looks a lot better in clothes that fit him.

• Advertisement

Advertisement