Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thank you for the reassurance P. I have an irrational fear that I won't wake up 🙈 To add to it my 8 yr old had an anaphylactic reaction to a GA last year and it was the most frightening experience of my life... but I'm sure it will be just fine.

To clarify by fun I meant I won't be chasing times in these races as such... of course if the times come (and of course i secretly hope they do 😂) then that would be a wonderful bonus but right now I feel anything but fit or fast so it's hard to imagine running good times. Fun may have been the wrong word and rather some pressure free races to get a feel for it and get the buzz again, kick start the old mojo! Looking back my last 5k was Jun '19, last 8k Aug '19 and 10k in March '20 (at a pace that is more recently my HM pace) so it will be very interesting. Just hope some local races go ahead now. My old annual 5k series has already been cancelled 😌

Have you a HM in mind for Dec? I know of a couple around Sept/Oct and that's why I said Autumn, but realistically a bit later will probably suit better, to give me a decent block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nothing irrational about the fear - it's normal. The mind and body doesnt like to be artifically put to sleep so it's a self protection mechanism - the fear is created to try and make you stop it from going ahead (I'm big into this psychological stuff) 🤣. Similar to racing - the mind knows whats coming, it doesnt like it, so it does what it can to make it not happen.

I think once you shake the after effects of Covid then hopefully things start to feel easier again. Its the right call just to take the pressure off. I know it's different for different folks but in those situations (post injury or illness) the last thing I need or want is the pressure of any sort of target race. It can quickly become disheartening. For me, I just want a mental break from what was an intense 18 weeks of focus.

HM - most likely Border Half or possibly Waterford AC. I'd love an earlier one, in particular Charleville, but that aint gonna happen with it likely being the day of my daughters 1st birthday party. And similar to yourself I dont really want to start focussed training for it until maybe September which gives me a good three months at least.

Thanks P. I'd love to do Charleville but I won't be ready. That Border HM sounds like better timing so I will definitely keep that one in mind. I'd like to give myself a decent block to close out the year.

This was another mediocre week. Got 28miles in and my first tempo in a while, managed 3m @ 8:20. About 40secs off my pre-covid tempo pace but the effort felt about right and I thought it was better to under-cook than over-cook and by the last mile I has no concerns about under-cooking it! It got hard, I was dripping sweat and possibly over-cooked 😏

Gave parkrun a lash and finished 1st female for the 1st time ever - I've no idea where all the women were gone off too, I obviously was the only one not invited 😅 Finished in a paltry 24:25 with HR trace very similar to when I ran 23:06 a few short months ago. I was in 4th position overall for most of the park run and in the last few measly metres I let someone pass me, hands up I had no fight and was spent. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to feeling a bit disheartened initially when I saw my finishing time...

Later on Saturday I delivered some baby equipment & toys to a Ukrainian lady and her 9 month old baby. It was quite humbling. With the risk of sounding sanctimonious I feel very privileged in life and being able to lace up & run at any pace is enough for me right now.

Off to hospital on Wed to get my shoulder fixed. I'll get back to proper weekly updates after that.

Best of luck on Wednesday - you'll be fine 😊

You finished first lady - dont play it down. You can only beat what's in front of you on the day. I'm sure Mo Farah isn't looking at his London 5k Gold metal wondering what might have been if peak Haile Gebrselassie had been around that day 😂

Congrats - mark that down as your first category win at parkrun. More and better to come no doubt. Just need to build that aerobic engine back up again and it will come back - no doubt. Stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I can totally relate to you feeling disheartened with your parkrun, I felt that way a few weeks ago with my progression PR, use it now as your benchmark. Give yourself time to build it back up & it will come to you. I already feel so much stronger both physically and mentally since that PR & you will too.

Very best of luck Wednesday😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done on finishing first female in parkrun. Good luck on Weds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

1st place is 1st place! Well done😊 I don't think you should be too disheartened, that's still a good run considering you've only been really doing easy miles for a while now and were sick before that. Best of luck tomorrow, hope it goes ok.

Thanks for all the well wishes. All went fine and I have a noticeable improvement after the procedure though not as much as I hoped so there will be a lot of physio for the next while but that's ok, at least I am on the road to recovery 🙂

Plan to get back to more regular logging from this week.

Going to try to revive this to give me some mojo.

I had a shoulder procedure on May 18th which went fine but not the immediate relief I had hoped for. I've been working away at the Physio exercise and it is improving slowly. Must make a follow up Physio appointment soon. Heart rate is getting closer to normal on easy runs a little bit every week. Also need to get my legs rubbed out soon. Haven't had a rub down in 9 months and I have a slight soreness at the outside of my right calf, it started when I wore heels to a First Communion about 3 weeks ago but has been coming and going ever since then.

Week of May 23-29th

33miles. 0 sessions, 1 "long" (if you could call it that) run of 9.25miles.

Long run was on a hillier route than I am used to and I had to walk near the top of one hill - a hill I used to use for hill repeats. I genuinely could not get up it, I was dry retching and feeling light headed. I had to let my friend go ahead and I caught up with her again on the flat. Now, hills aren't my strong point but this was very demoralising, went home feeling very unfit and totally fed up to be honest.

Week of May 30th-June 5th

A week that included my baby's 7th birthday (however that happened I don't know) and a birthday party that included one split lip and one set of broken electric gates (two separate incidents), who knew 6-7 years could cause so much damage, maybe Covid and the lack of parties wasn't a bad thing 😱

31miles, 1 session and 1 long run of 10miles.

Session was 5 * 2min hard (6:56 avg.) + 5 * 1min hard (6:39 avg.). Similar paces & HR for these efforts to Jan/Feb which is definitely reassuring, however I am well aware that it is a lot easier (for me) to knock out this type of session that it is to run less intense but sustained efforts.

On the flat for the long run this week and cruised along for 10miles very comfortably on my own, the most comfortable I've been in a long time for runs beyond the 1 hr mark. A nice little confidence boost to finish the week out, completely flat but I'll take it as a win none the less.

I'm doing a race next weekend! Woohoo, an a real live race! An 8k, I'm not expecting to produce anything special but I want to set a benchmark to see where I am over the shorter distance stuff. I'm not even sure how to approach it. The plan then is to run another one in roughly 8 weeks time and hopefully improve on it. There will be lots of distractions with school holidays and holidays away but hopefully I can improve my time after an 8 week block.

Thanks for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck at the weekend E, it's exciting having a race to look forward to when it's been a while. I'm reading your previous posts detailing how you intend for these summer races to be fun, so don't lose sight of that intention either. Good to hear things are on an upward trajectory again for you.

Welcome back to logging...

You find the longer sustained efforts harder....there's a clue there 😉

Haha thanks for the reminder A, perfect timing. Having said that I don't think I'll be able enjoy Summer races as much as I hoped as my young ones schedules are jam packed with sporting fixtures that I have to accommodate 🙄 but I will definitely try to keep that in mind and I am excited just to experience the buzz of a start line again and even more so the finish line buzz 😅

Haha. I think you stand to gain a huge amount by working on that area. Those longer sustained efforts are generally purely aerobic and getting conditioned for that will just stand to you massively for all distances. And if you find them hard it implies that it's an area worth working on.

But I'm biased because I've been reading up a lot on Lydiard lately. And I seem to be joining the Murph and DD cult.

Yes I understand. Under normal circumstances I do a fair few tempo (10m-HM pace) efforts alright and I don't mind those (to a degree), I suppose what I meant by sustained efforts was more 6-7mins @ CV pace (between 5 & 10k pace), this is where I really struggle and probably why I'm a disaster with 10k races. There seems to be a limit to how much I am willing to suffer 🙄 Yesterdays' session was 15mins tempo (on effort without looking at the watch and averaged 8:03min/m), 5' recovery, 8*1' hard (again no watch gazing, averaged 6:45min/m pace). This was very doable, but if for example you asked do 4 * 6' @ 7:25-7:35 I'd find it much harder and on paper this should probably be ok? But the basis of what you are saying is still absolutely correct, if it's something I find hard then it means it's an area worth working on. Food for thought... thanks P.

• Advertisement

Ah I get you now. Wouldnt worry too much there E. I dont think anybody finds those kinds of sustained efforts "easy". Give me 4*6mins at 10k pace and thats a very hard workout for me. 24mins of 10k effort wouldn't be hugely unusual but in the past I would probably have been limited to 4 or 5min reps (like 6 x 1k or 4x1200m). Different coaches have different philosophies though. McMillian would have you doing 3 x 2 miles of 10k pace in his plans. No thanks.

Those McMillan 10k workouts look horrific 🤢

I'm amazed that I'm only on the 2nd page after 4+ months.

Anyhow, I'm still alive, still kicking, still trying to run... August brought a diagnosis of iron deficient anaemia which I was told to expect to take a good 6 months to correct. I'm back in a couple of weeks for repeat bloods for another red flag which was raised during the August bloods so will recheck iron then while we're at it, hopefully it will have improved somewhat. Work has been very busy. A (welcome) role change last March, and employee retention issues have me busier than ever while also outside of my comfort zone with the new job description so that's all a bit draining.

I've been a bit unstructured recently but inspired by all the great Chicago, Amsterdam & DCM training going on - simply amazing blocks have been put in by so many around here, I've decided to jump back into a plan of sorts to finish out the year - shockingly there is only 10 weeks left in 2022! Still, it's enough to fit in some training before deciding on some goals for 2023 - even 1 goal attempt would be an improvement on this year.

My mileage recently has been around the mid 30 miles per week so based on that I'm going to start a block around 30 miles and builds to low 40s over the weeks. I may do the Border HM in Dec - will just see how that one pans out with family commitments, it'd be mid-training plan, but it might give me an idea of my endurance. I ran 1:45 last March without going all out but I sincerely doubt I could do that now going on recent form, but it might be helpful (and possibly extremely painful and soul destroying 😂) to find out exactly what I am capable of.

So, I plan to log the next 10 weeks, I'm sure it will be pretty boring for the most part, but it might keep me accountable. And hopefully I can build on it and next year may be a more interesting year 🤞🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fair play E... you are still racking up solid mileage given all that you have going on. Seems like you'll have a cracking base to build from next year. Best of luck with the next 10 weeks.

You and me have very similar lives! Great to see the log update. Did you run the border half last time out? Can you give any info on the route? Maybe you did a report..I must check.

• Advertisement

Hi P. No, I have never run it. I've been meaning to stalk your Strava actually to see if you had but I hadn't got around to it (yet 😅). Any course info would be great but probably best to wait a few weeks (unless you have time to spare which I sincerely doubt!) as it's definitely not a definite right now!

Enjoy the supporting on Sunday. I'm jealous of you, I'd love to go up but it's my son's 10th birthday, so I'll be hosting a family gathering for him ahead of a week of Halloween & birthday celebrations - kids nowadays seem to really drag it out 😂

Thanks A. If I can emulate your progress, I'll be very happy.

Tell me about it. We've just been through 3 birthdays in the space of one month and straight into Halloween now. All those birthdays included double celebrations - one in Limerick and one at Nana and grandads!

I actually have never ran it. Thats why I was asking. Was hoping you would give me a walkthru on it. Below are my buddies splits from last year. I always find it hard to tell anything from these charts as the reality is always different

Hmmmm it really doesn't look great does it! The only downhill section looks like it'd be too steep to really take advantage of and probably too late to bring much relief. Maybe I won't be able to can't make it 😂

Honestly the way things have been lately I've considered stepping back a bit...its all a little intense at the mo..taking it day by day though

No harm P. You've been juggling a lot and admitted you've been breaking your own rule of building up too many parts of your life at the same time. If you ask me, it's the time of year for base building anyways - I mean who wants to race in December? Unless it's in a Santa suit giving out hi-5s! I'm not really sure why I'm getting a notion now to start focussed training - all the DCMers putting me to shame lol! Lots of aerobic miles and some thresholdy stuff, keep ticking over. A few weeks or months can make a big difference in work-life balance - at least get over the cold/flu season, it's been never ending in my house with biggish kids so I can imagine with littler ones it's even worse 🙄 Mind yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see this back up and running, and good luck with the training block. A half is a good idea - I think with any consistent base behind you it's always possible to scale up to a decent half performance so it will be good to see your progress. Good luck!

Very true...and sensible.....

I'm very stubborn. Always clinging on to the good days as a sign that things are turning a corner. For example this week was rough Sunday and Monday and then good for the rest of the week. We'll see!

I haven't settled on a plan, despite a good bit of reading over the last week+. Lots of books with dust on them were pulled out but nothing seemed to quite tick the boxes in terms of getting me excited to get stuck in but also suiting my schedule (weekday runs really need to fit into 55mins as I'm usually dropping the kid(s) to some form of after school activity and then bringing them home again). I'll plough on with logging even though it will most likely be fairly boring for the time being.

Week 1 of 10 ('til the end of 2022 that's all, no race 😅)

Monday: 5 * 5mins @ 7:52, 7:48, 7:49, 7:41, 7:47 (current CV pace), off 2' rec. These felt pretty comfortable for CV pace. Possibly should be a touch faster but for now I'm happier to have them a touch slow than to be straining for them.

Tuesday: 5 miles easy

Wed: No running, strength session.

Thursday: 3 * 9mins @ 8:06, 8:09, 8:01 (threshold pace), off 3' rec.

Friday: 5 miles easy after strength session

Saturday: 9 miles with a few easy-tempo intervals sprinkled throughout just to break it up a bit while keeping it feeling easy (8:35-8:55 for these)

Sunday: Rest - Felt like I ran a marathon with a kid's birthday and tracking all the amazing performances at DCM! Dying to read the race reports and get a better feel for the day. Was very tempted to sign up for 2023 during the day but on Monday when I got out of bed & went for my run, I was quite thankful not to have marathon legs, so I don't know right now. Also, it's gotten steep hasn't it and when you factor in travel & accommodation costs 🤷

34 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Think the DCM entry for 2023 only opens today ….,,,,,,,,Fair play still clocking up the miles with the iron issues and very busy family life your some woman .

There are always a few good spring half marathons floating around . Quite fancy Barcelona myself lol ( to escape busy family life ) .

Looking forward to following your log - deffo need some inspiration !!

• Advertisement

Seems like a great time to have a bit of craic with some fun races. Would you consider this?

As for training plans and your time constraints it's definitely manageable to build a training plan around 55mins limit during the week. Would you consider a coach? One session during the week which could easily fit into 55mins and a session and a long run at the weekend. That's assuming you can manage two weekend days. I haven't seen many books that tick all the boxes for me but Luke was excellent at building a plan around life. Most decent coaches are. Maybe have a chat with kellygirl too.

Funny you should mention Trail running @Swashbuckler. I joined a Trail running group during the Summer and enjoyed a few runs with them but it's just very time consuming. I have to factor in minimum 2 hrs extra to drive to and from the meeting point for the runs. It's just not practical at the moment with the kids. It was fun though and definitely challenging in a very different way to road running.

Re. a coach yeah, I'd consider one again if I had a specific goal but right now, I'm not too long off the back coaching and I'm still enjoying the break and freedom. Though I know for me there's a fine line between freedom and over-thinking/paralysis by analysis, where running becomes unnecessarily stressful, so I need to watch that too.

Thanks D. Yeah Half is a great distance alright. I usually do Kinvara Rock 'n' Road in March, it's not a particularly fast course but it's a really nice event. I've never done a notoriously fast HM though (like Charleville) so maybe that is something to think about for next year.

Thanks, running keeps me sane to be honest - and thankfully my OH realises that! Barcelona would be fab, it's definitely on my agenda to do more running tourism, it's just hard to do everything 😃 You should consider logging again for motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Yeah. - I find logging does keep me accountable when training for something . I don’t want to post that I went stupid fast on a slow run etc and get wrist slapped on here so keeps me honest !

I used to log to keep myself amused during the pre covid commute which thankfully I don’t do now .

If I can get some consistency going over next while I probably will and now I signed up for stupid DCM probably need that accountability !

A busy week with mid-term, kids off school etc. Living close to the grandparents always means an influx of visitors when the schools close, great fun for all the kids of course making memories with their cousins, but I often struggle to get anything done with all the comings and goings. This week was no less chaotic than other midterms so definitely pleased with what I managed to sneak in. Ate & drank my way through the week but that's another story.

Week 2 of 10 ('til the end of 2022)

Monday (Halloween): 30min tempo @8:25min/m

Tues: Strength + 5m easy

Wed: Just strength.

Thurs: Strength + 4m easy

Fri: 5 * 3' @ 7:50, 7:48, 7:38, 7:41, 7:41 + 4 * 30s @ 6:41, 7:01, 6:58, 6:48

Sat: Nothing

Sun: 8.66m - a not so long, long run

32 miles for the week.

Another busy week ahead with 2 nights out 🙈 It's either a feast or a famine for me, I barely go anywhere for 6 months and then a rake of things come together 🙆‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Oh god I hear you on the feast or famine with nights out, after practically doing nothing throughout my marathon training, all the way up to Christmas looks very busy for me👀... I'm sure I'll live🤣

We'll just have to struggle on, take one for the team 'n' all that 🤩😆 Probably not the best time for me to be getting bloods done to check my liver function though 🙄😲

Week 3 of 10 ('til the end of 2022)

Pleased enough with this week again, I'm certainly not stretching myself but nor do I want to be with no specific goal in sight. I'm perfectly happy to trundle along for now and see where it gets me 😊

Monday: 20' continuous threshold @ 8:01 - lovely run

Tues: Nothing - a night out to celebrate DCM with some friends.

Wed: Easy + Strength.

Thurs: Nothing - a work night out

Fri: 5 * 5' @ CV pace (7:50, 7:53, 7:51, 7:52, 7:54). A little bit hungover but I enjoyed this all the same, a really nice night-time run. Also did strength earlier in the day.

Sat: Very easy/recovery run, legs were a little bit heavy for this but kept the HR nice and low.

Sun: 11m LR.

34 miles for the week.

Post edited by ariana` on

Any tips for goal setting or structuring a year without many races but still with enough focus to progress?

My goal to run a sub 4 marathon kept me going right through 2020/21 but since then I can't honestly say I've had the same focus. Racing often isn't an option (kids who now do 8 different sports between them & other non-sports after school activities & birthday parties etc etc). My other half does his share, but Saturdays & Sundays are chaotic trying to be in 3 different places with the kids as it is, so races are an inconvenience at best. Then every so often there's a random free day and a random local race that I wish I had trained for, if I'd known to plan ahead.

I think I need a "just enough" approach, whereby I am always fit enough to take on a 10k-10m-HM with short notice and accept not being in peak shape or getting PBs. But how does one go about this, do a 10K-HM plan back-to-back and pop in a mini-taper & recovery any time I can squeeze a race in? I'm thinking this is where having a coach would be really beneficial, but I can't justify it right now.

By the way I didn't come on here to whine, though you'd be forgiven for thinking I did 😳  For the last 5 years I've done the same race every March and it's one I love and look forward too, even when not at my fittest, it's a fixture I haven't missed. I was planning to target it next year and start a 13-week plan in a couple of weeks, but I've just realised I won't be able to make it and I'm gutted and feeling a bit meh about this whole running lark today. I'll probably be grand again by evening time if I get a little run done 😅

• Advertisement

Ah the impossible question. I say impossible because the most sensible answer would probably be telling you to find a good coach and tell them your situation. I spent pretty much all of 2020 doing exactly what you are asking about under the guidance of Luke and it was probably one of my best years since I started running. Zero races, some time trials and very much building strength throughout the year.

I think this type of training doesnt lend itself very much to book plans. I also think most coaches struggle with this kind of request as a lot of them base training on goal races. That's one of the reasons I'll always sing Luke's praises - throw whatever you goal is at him and he always worked it - whether that be a goal race, or just strength building, or running an ultra or running 1500m.

None of the above really helps you though because I know any advice that doesnt give you the option of having something down on paper (a plan) means a lot of uncertainty on how to structure things.

From my own perspective, if I didnt have access to a good coach I would like spend a huge chunk of the year doing Lydiard style training but that isnt for everyone. Lydiard is very specific and certainly a lot of runners wouldnt like the approach. Murph had great success with it in Chicago. Lydiard stuff can be as long as you want it to be i.e. you could spend the bones of 30 odd months following his phases. Lydiard plans are available online.

When it comes to racing - I think runners can often overthink that side of things. Maybe forget about trying to be in peak shape for a race and just race whenever the opportunity comes up. Step back a bit on mileage and sessions the week of and just go race.

It's a tough call, I guess what I really want is something on paper but without the accountability aspect. I did have a coach for a bit, but I called it a day when it hit a point where the accountability factor was a negative or an additional stressor in my life (through absolutely no fault of the coach in question I must say, totally on me and my personality). And I've proven I can run consistently without that accountability factor, maybe slightly lower mileage perhaps, but still consistently steady.

I'll read up on Lydiard. And I think you're right about racing and that is what I'll have to do. It will be last minute entries, if any, for a while I think...

Thanks P. There should be an annual award for the person most likely to reply - you'd be a shoe in ☺️

I was actually going to start off my post with "I bet you knew who was gonna be the first to answer". haha.

Listen to some other opinions too. Sometimes launching in with strong opinions can put other people off posting their own so hopefully some others chime in and I havent put them off.

I purchased a McMillian Plan this year that is Lydiard based and is the guts of 6 months if I recall.

Also, I get what you mean in terms or accountability..I was the same...Put too much pressure on myself on that front which heightened the overall pressure with work and family added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The EIM approach might suit you? It looks (from the outside anyway!) like something that would keep you in decent shape all the time with the constant (but apparently easy 😄) faster stuff throughout. I'm sure E & S would give you tons of info!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As a plan to maintain a decent level of fitness while keeping runs interesting I would hugely advocate this. I don't see any negatives in a period of maintenance training. The 'plans' are more a case of the author suggesting a way of doing it but it's not cast in stone. It has definitely taken me 18 months of watching others tweak varying approaches to make it race specific. For a maintenance plan I would just follow the book. E, feel free to give me a ring if you want any more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Personally - I wouldn't follow any structured plan or method.

I think your experienced enough to know what works for you, but also what you enjoy.

The 1st positive is that you're still willing to 'be a runner' despite the chaotic world that being a mother is!!

The thing I'd do is set some groundrules for yourself and keep it very simple and focus on the enjoyment.

e.g., I'm going to run 3 times a week / one of these will build to 14-15 miles over the course of 4 months / the other will be some sort of session, but one that I enjoy doing and I can progress it by either increasing the rep or decreasing the rest or doing it faster - again over a few months. The other day (or days) run as you want - 2 miles, 6 miles whatever you have time for.

I think enjoying running is what you want to be doing, following a structured plan while not racing can become a 'chore' - and you don't need more 'chores'.

As always - just my opinion :)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all the replies. 100% something to take away from each of them 😊

AM I have an EIM book actually but at the time of reading I felt it was more focussed to shorter stuff & track and not very specific for longer distances, but I will definitely dust if off again as non-specific might suit better right now. @skyblue46 I appreciate the offer to reach out to you, I may do that.

AMK, I love your confidence in me that I have enough experience to plot my own way by now. You are possibly right but I fear I'd end up in a state of paralysis by analysis with over-thinking it all. You are right though; I don't need any more chores, or pressure.

As it happens, I ended up doing a 10k this weekend, @Swashbuckler I tried to channel your thought process that races are over-rated and just went and did it without over thinking it. I'll fill in a bit more detail when I log the week's running, but I was happy with the effort. I've never ran a strong 10k so it wouldn't be hard to improve but this was definitely an improvement in terms of performance.

Week 4 of 10 ('til the end of 2022)

Not a super start to this week, I was tired and not sleeping well in the early part of the week but that improved thankfully as the week went on. I've been hoping to race before the end of the year and had taken note of a few upcoming races in the locality - the Border Half was one of them but more recently I had notice 2 10k races in Mayo, one on Nov 20th and one on Dec 4th, I hoped one of them might work out. At the start of this week, the Sunday didn't suit but that changed later in the week, so this week includes an actual race 😄

Monday: Just strength.

Tues: Planned a session but I had the offer of company for an easy run, so I happily took it - 65' easy chatting with friends

Wed: Session + Strength. Limited to 45mins so did 4 * 3' @ CV (8:00, 7:57, 7:54, 7:52) + 4 * 30s hard.

Thurs: Nothing

Fri: Strength + Easy

Sat: Easy

Sun: 9m incl. 10k race @ 7:38min/m - a 2 min race PB (my best 10k effort is still during a 10m TT early last year)

My expectations going into this - an undulating course, potholes, and floods - I was advised to wear my oldest runners!

I did 2 8k races this past Summer and both were awful - the first in June in 39:33 and the second in August in 40:13. Training paces have been fairly comfortable recently, so I wanted to test myself. Going out the door my hubby asked me what I was hoping for (as he always does), my answer to him was that I'd be thrilled with 48-49 but I could as easily come away with 51-52! I really did not know what to expect after the (unexpected) struggle in those 8ks.

This was a looped course, it started at the bottom of a 400m drag to the finish line and then 3 * 2m loops, so that drag would have to be done 4 times. The crowd at the start line was very small (73 I found out after), and we were off without much fanfare. I tore off of course and was halfway up the drag and into the breeze when I realised that the leaders had gone, and I was leading the next pack with open road ahead of me. FFS, this is what always happens me on these runs, I end up on my own when I really could do with a big, tall lad to shelter behind or even just company to keep me motivated later on. Thankfully as the road levelled out, after we passed the finish line for the first time, a few came alongside, and I thought I might have a group. By the time we hit 1k a couple fell back and maybe some went on ahead, but I did have 1 lady just about 10m ahead of me, a lady I recognised, an O65 runner with a lot of street cred on the Irish & European scene in track, cross country and a national marathon team medal winner in her age cat. So, I basically ran the next 8k about 10m or so behind her. I was conscious every so often that I was breathing down her neck (not to mention photo bombing her 😆) and she could be cursing me but at least I wasn't wearing loud slappy shoes 😂 I never looked at the watch once the entire race. I just ran along and clung to the coat tails of my new BFF, total blind faith in her pacing even though I had no clue what time she was aiming for (seems a bit stupid written down, but it felt right at the time). Around 9.2k I passed out my fellow runner. It wasn't a conscious decision, I wasn't feeling in the slightest bit competitive towards her, it happened without me realising it and if I'm honest I instantly regretted it with a moment of panic when I realised I had to commit to pulling ahead now and of course I was about to face into the toughest part of the course for the last 800m, the part where she had extended her lead on me each and every other time before I closed it down again on the more favourable parts of the course 🙄 But I was committed now. As I passed the volunteers at the bottom of the drag for the 4th time, I realised my head was up, something which gave me a bit of satisfaction at the time. I started to count down from 120 (seconds) in my head and went for the finish line with the sun in my eyes blinding me. I was bent over at the finish line for a minute before I could even register the time, 47:39, a PB. 4 seconds ahead of my fellow runner whom I had a lovely chat with afterwards in thanking her for dragging me along. Of course, the splits don't look that impressive at all - I ran a fairly hefty positive split 🙄 but with my track record at 10ks I will take it. All in all, a very satisfying Sunday in November. Thanks for reading.

31 miles for the week.

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

What is the book that you do have?

I'm very much in a similar situation with races being mostly an inconvenience. And while I might enter things, it could be the day before when I decide to actually run it. I did manage to actually run two target races this year (the most successful one was off the back of around 6 weeks focus) but am always willing to accept any child related cancellations; such is life.

Congrats on the PB too by the way. Imagine what you'd do off a focussed block! 😂

Thank you! The book I have is the Easy Interval Method by Klaas Lok. It might suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m delighted you did that race and got yourself a nice PB too. Big congrats on that again. It would be nice to do a few of those sort of races and just turn up when suits. They are usually a bit cheaper than some of the bigger ones too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement