Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hairy leaves which is at least one box ticked for selfheal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't selfheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Not a plant as such, but any ideas on this lad? About 100mm across. Growing near ash and Whitethorn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Possibly a Macrolepiota Procera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Neowise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Cheers. If it's any help it has now inverted. As in the cap has turned up and is collecting rain water in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paperdaisy

I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk can help me identify these saplings which have invaded all around the edge of my back lawn. They seem to have spread through their root system. (I had been leaving the edges unmown so as to be eco friendly and encourage the pollinators...🐝🐞🦋).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The obvious answer is goat willow, but the leaves look a bit big for that. The leaves look somewhat like hazel, though hazel isn't generally as invasive as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It looks like Hazel and it can take over, as I found to my cost years ago. If it's hazel take it all out unless you have a very large area in which to let it spread,

• Advertisement

Thank you looksee and Jim for these suggestions - whatever it is I'll be digging it all out. It's quite scary how quickly it has taken over my garden!😮

Is that a cherry tree in the background OP?

They look of that sort of origin, bound to be off something in the garden anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I really don't think that's a cherry at all.

I posted earlier and deleted it because I really wasn't sure but I'll throw a few of my thoughts down again, might trigger a thought in someone else?

First thought - Hazel - possible but never had it sucker like the OP says this does.

Second thought - Elm - leaves not incised or pointy enough but did think it was a good one as Elm suckers do look like that.

Then third idea was - Blackthorn - leaves to large but does sucker just like that.

Discounted cherry again as the leaves are too wide and not pointy.

A better picture of the leaves and buds would help. Its annoying because it has to be something really obvious.

A cherry tree with plum rootstock is why I was asking, they have the look of plum leaves

Thanks you all for these suggestions - I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know whether the tree in the background is a cherry. I took over this garden three years ago and havene't been giving it the attention it deserves. I'll try to take some more detailed photos tomorrow and hope to report back ...

Post edited by The Continental Op on

I’ve had a closer look and the tree in the background does have the same leaves as the mystery plant, so they must be the same tree, maybe a cherry as suggested by standardg60. There were only a few leaves clinging to the mature tree, which has a reddish bark, rather than the pale grey bark of the saplings. I do have a Victoria plum tree in the garden too, so maybe that could be the rootstock... Attaching a few more images. I plan to dig out all but one of the saplings, and come spring, will hopefully be able to confirm what it is. Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir! 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

My guess would be in the same direction and I think it could be a cherry plum (Prunus cerasifera) and I have read these can be prone to forming suckers as well which would match the description.

Happy gardening!

I would imagine that everything is coming from the Victoria plum OP, including what i thought may have been the cherry.

What you should find when digging down is that all the growth is attached to a submerged root.

• Advertisement

Plum rootstocks - orangepippintrees.com/articles/fruit-tree-advice/rootstocks-for-plum-trees

Krymsk 1, also known as VVA-1, is a new dwarfing cold-hardy rootstock for plum trees. It was developed in Russia and released in 2004. It is related to Prunus cerasifera, the Cherry Plum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Found This little beauty growing in the gravel drive.. any ideas as to what it might be. Thinking some type of alpine, I've nothing similar anywhere in the garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like Coltsfoot to me http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=4&Wildflower=Colt%27s-foot Wildflower, I am very envious!

Admire those lovely flowers OP, then when the round leaves emerge, spray them with glyphosate repeatedly.

It will take over your entire garden!

Was reading up on it alright. Its in a area a good bit away from any flower beds or lawn I'll be keeping an eye on it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Looks like a brassica of some kind but unsure

It's a brassica all right... perhaps broccoli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Interesting! I was actually thinking the same

It’s literally growing out of a crack in the patio at the base of my parents house…wonder how it got there!

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm an idiot and I was half asleep. I meant to say Brussels sprouts...

The seed was probably carried by the wind or by birds.

Advertisement