Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ycul

Thank-you, I've never heard of Willow Herb, I'll have to look it up, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You'll know it when you look it up. Rosebay Willowherb is the big one that everyone must have seen growing but I think what you have is a slightly smaller one?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'd be happy with rosebay here.

Two general rules of gardening, if you can catch it, kill it, if it grows faster than everything else, pull it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not a plant but a cute little bug on a plant in my garden!, any ideas? Baby ladybird maybe?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It’s beautiful but a lily beetle. It will munch its way through any lily plants. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Kill the bastards. I was working (gardening) near The RHS Gardens Wisley when these little bastards turned up. Not so many years ago there were no Lily Beetles in Ireland. They aren't native so no reason not to use chemical methods to deal with them provided of course you make sure you aren't affecting other native bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lily beetle. Arrived with me two years ago. An absolute pest and alien species. You can use insecticide but I won't. I pick them off and crush them. Spraying with sunflower oil deters the adults and gets rid of the grubs. I inspect the lilies twice daily looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Oh dear, i was hoping it was a baby ladybird, right so. If its not native then it has to go, i'll get smushing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Baby ladybirds, as you call them, are quite ugly looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

These lovely and delicate looking flowers are growing on the margins of a field drain which runs through part of our site. There's a moth (can anyone identify that also) on them in one of the pics and the bees seem to like them too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lady's Smock, I really hope when (!) I get my pond organised I can encourage some to grow in the margins, its very pretty. I seem to think I have heard it called Cuckoo Flower in Ireland more than Lady's Smock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Can anyone help me identifying this its all over my lawn and I really want to get rid of it..I've tried some weed removal spray but it just kills the leaves..Any info much appreciated.

Suspect that might be Ox-Eye Daisy

Our lawn (over and acre) is full of it and my wife likes to leave it to flower, I like to "control" it :-)

I was trying to grow ox-eye daisy in a wild patch, but I grew some from seed and it produced huge tall plants that collapse. I haven't seen much of the wild size daisies round here so maybe I should forget them. They should be about 8 to 12 inches high, mine are about 18 to 24 before they collapse, and the flowers are bigger. We used to call them Moon Pennies when I was a kid, though I know that is more usually applied to Honesty. They were perhaps the commonest weed, and the area was about as different to where I am now as you could get, so I should maybe take the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

It does look like that alright..whats the best way to get rid of it..I'm guessing just digging it up from roots is only option really..ill have alot of work ahead of me 😪

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I had two different kinds at home, the tall ones you mention (not the ones with huge flowers, as big as your hand) and another kind, slightly smaller, with pointier leaves and petals. I must say I love even the bigger of the two (but for some reason I really dislike the massive ones, yet I love gerberas - go figure!).

I have some of the very big ones too, which I like but are not at all what would grow in a wild area. I am going to chop the tops off the ones that are pretending to be ox-eye and see does it force them (this year) to grow a bit smaller, if not they can come out as they really do lollop and make a thatch of vegetation with flowers on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just wondering would anyone have a suggestion for the removal of grass, moss, weeds that keep growing through the pavement. I have to keep on top of it and have tried vinegar and salt in a sprayer with no luck. Just hoping there is a recommended sealant or what people do with theirs. Thanks 🙏.

Only long term chemical treatment that might work is something with propyzamide in it. propyzamide is about the only residual weed killer still available. Kerb and Gem granules are the only brands I can think of. Don't think its supposed to be used on hard surfaces but will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

Willow, leaves seem a bit small but nearest I can think of would be Goat Willow, Salix Caprea.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Anyone know what this is. My mother in law bought it for me when we moved into our house and I love it and would like another. It flowers all summer into autumn.

Its a Diascia, I think there are a few that are similar, here's one possible

Looks like plenty of cuttings on yours so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Thank you so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can anyone ID this plant for me, please? The one with the 4-part leaves, kind of like large shamrock. It will have pink flowers.

We used to have clumps of it along a border bed when I was a kid, so I'm fairly sure it's not just a weed, as such.

But I can't stand the stuff - and it's growing everywhere in my lovely raised bed 😫 A few odd stems a few years ago, but it's all over now.

I keep pulling it, but I mostly can't get at the roots, and I'm beginning to suspect I'm just encouraging its growth by pulling the stems.

If I knew what it is, I might be able to figure out how to get rid.

Thanks!

Looks like Oxalis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep Oxalis

It can be a weed in my book ;-) It spreads easily and is almost impossible to get rid of. Doesn't matter how nice it looks for me thats the definition of a weed. Although its not the worst form Oxalis corniculata which is so bad I wouldn't buy a house if it was in the garden, Japanese Knotweed is easier to control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm not sure how my mother kept it controlled into tight little bunches in the bed in our house - but yep, that's my definition of a weed as well, and this definitely qualifies under it!

Feck. Looks like I'm stuck with damage limitation so.

ETA - found this when googling.....

"The entire root system must be removed or the plant will grow back from any pieces left in the soil."

damned if I do, damned if I don't.....😭

Advertisement