Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My girlfriend says it's back for her (on the hub). Listening to sport on R1.

Not working for me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have been having a conversation on twitter with @madebygoogle.

They are aware of an issue and have asked for feedback via the hub. So if you are having the issue then please let them know

Instructions below

We appreciate the details. Our team is aware of some Google Home devices that aren't streaming RTE radio and is working on a fix. Best to submit a verbal feedback report with the keywords of "GHT3 Can't play <radio station> on <radio provider>.

Make sure that the "Send device usage data and crash reports to Google" is toggled on from your device's settings before sending feedback. Here's your guide: goo.gle/3aC7zWz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there a new home app?

I've seen it mentioned online but I'm not getting it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Anyones hub playing RTE stations yet ? Been broken for months...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Nope. Though mine only "broke" the week before last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭wait4me

I have a couple of hubs and speakers. Only one of the hubs will not play RTE Radio 1 (R1) and 2FM on TuneIn; and this only happened recently (last two weeks).. Extremely frustrating. The said hub can play Newstalk with no issues. Alexa on the other hand plays RI and 2FM no problem. I have reported it through the feedback solution above. Still no luck

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Google Nest hub won't play RTE 1, RTE Lyric, but plays today FM, Newstalk etc.

Google home mini (I think it's a home, not a nest mini) will play them no problem.

Google Nest says "playing RTE Radio 1", puts up the graphic to show it's going to play RTE Radio 1, but the progress bar keeps pulsing indefinitely.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

This kinda worked for me! Tried "Hey Google, play RTE Radio 1 on home", where "home" is a group which encompasses all Google audio player devices in the house. It plays on the hub now, but a bit annoying that it plays elsewhere in the house too. I tried a group with only the hub in it but that didn't work. Best I can think now is to get an old chromecast audio plugged in (but no audio going anywhere) to create a fake multidevice group to allow streaming to the hub.

Just tried that (dare I say, excitedly).

Didn't work. 🙂

I tried the command on my mini and hub.

All RTE channels are working on my hub this morning. Finally!

• Advertisement

Working here as well. Let's see for how long (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sorry didnt want to start a thread on this, does anyone know how you distinguish between smart bulbs that are designed for both indoor and outdoor use rather than indoor only. I need two outside but searching sites like Screwfix for an outdoor bulb doesnt separate them from indoor ones and the spec sheets say nothing about whether it is indoor only or can also be used outside

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's no such thing as an outdoor bulb?

There are outdoor light fittings, which will protect a bulb inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

just this week - google home hub broke netflix link. unlink then re-link doesnt work. tried to contact netflix suport no joy. anyone else seeing this? its worked for like a year no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭pigtail33

We had a brief power outage three weeks or so ago, and when the electricity came back, my Google Home and two minis are giving the dreaded "Hmm, something went wrong, try again in a few seconds" response to every command. I have to ask it everything at least twice, sometimes three times to get the intended response. I have rebooted everything multiple times. My Lenovo Clock and Google Assistant on my phone and tablet work fine. Has anyone managed to fix this issue? It's infuriating.

And gone again two days ago - google obviously have issues with its Hubs

Fine for me, hasn't stopped working since it came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Hey. Any recommendations for plugs to go with your G home?

Only 3 points where I plug in the Xmas lights. Want to be able to group 3 plugs together and say 'turn on/off the Xmas lights". Would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Am by no means an expert, but we have Kasa smart plugs which work very well with our Google Home. I think we got them in Argos last year on some kind of a Black Friday offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Any plugs that work with the Smart Life app will do this. You can set up programs in the app to turn on one or multiple deviced when another turns on.

E.g.

I've attached a basic rule I set up. They can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

ANTELA Smart Plug WiFi Outlet Socket with Energy Monitoring, Timer, Voice Control, Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Smart Life App Wireless Remote Control, No Hub Required 2.4Ghz ONLY (4 Packs) https://amzn.eu/d/eXE0bB1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Is TuneIn on Google Home being an absolute pain for anyone else yesterday and today. Starts streaming fine (even RTÉ!) but then just hangs - a lot! - after somewhere between 5 and 50 minutes. Tell it to play the station again, and it might just pick up again, or it might play the TuneIn ads first.

Today's Google Home gripe: If I say "Play my playlist Daily Mix 2 (or whatever) on Spotify", that does not mean "Play some chancer's album on Spotify that he's named 'Daily Mix 2' - I clearly emphasised the word 'playlist', didn't I?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Relatively new to using Google Home but not new to IoT as in I have about 15 WiFi plugs controlling lights and fishtank etc, a Google Home, 5-6 Google Mini's and Chromecasts etc plus I have a Tado smart thermostat.

To date I've mainly set schedules for each device using the native app so lots of schedules on the Kasa app (some Teckin and Tapo also), the Tado app and only really used the Google Home app for the Google Home, Google Mini's and a couple of JBL smart speakers with Google Assistant built in but I recently decided to connect all of the devices to the Google Home app via the "Works With Google" linking option and thankfully everything I have linked fine.

I've now organised all the various devices into rooms and I like how Google Home allows me to have everything on one dashboard so to speak rather than having to use all the native apps to control devices.

My next challenge is to replicate all the various on / off schedules for lights etc using the "Routines" option in Google Home which I'm getting to grips with but I can't seem to find a way to add an "off" option to a routine e.g. I can set a routine to turn several lights on at sunset but I can't see an option to turn them all off at a particular time per day or after X hours of being on etc.

Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to set up a separate routine which just turns everything off?

Yes, been ages since I set mine up, but IIRC I had to set up separate routines for 'turn lights on at sunset' and 'turn lights off at midnight'.

Thanks, that's more or less what I ended up doing.

One thing I've noticed is that I regularly get notifications from Google Home that some device or other didn't turn either on or off when the respective routine ran. Never had this issue when the native apps were running on / off schedules. Is this something Google Home routines (which are a relatively new feature) struggle with currently?

Yeah, in my opinion, they were released too early; I'd consider them still beta/buggy. Like, if it a night routine (keyword triggered with something like 'Goodnight') can't find one of three lights to turn off because it's already been turned off, it won't just turn off the other two, it'll go "THERE WAS A PROBLEM TURNING OFF THE BEDROOM LIGHT!" - yeah, thanks, Google, now the light is still off but we're all awake.

What JBL smart speakers with Google Assistant built-in do you have and where did you get them? Thanks

Its the JBL Link 10, really amazing speaker. Excellent review here - https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/jbl-link-portable

It was called the Link Portable when I bought mine (I have 2 of them) but they've since added a bigger model called the Link 20 so the original was renamed the Link 10.

I got mine from Richer Sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I got their other branded Harmon karden speaker and great sound but would not buy again. The level of features is limited and they had no intention of enabling voice calling etc!!

Advertisement