Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What is the issue with pairing it up to the charging network,is there a different socket on the car in Japan or just there is software locking it down on a country basis?

Was looking at EVs myself from Japan and they do indeed seem cheap and having no VRT to pay is attractive. But if they cant be switched to english and charged normally then its a non-goer. Do dealers here not import EVs from Japan? Maybe that explains why used prices are so high now, saw a 2013 Leaf on Carzone for 10k yesterday which seems a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Where did you get the idea that there is no VRT?

Not your ornery onager

I thought Id read on here that there is no VRT on electric vehicles as an incentive for more people to buy them, is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I just done a quick VRT calculation on a 2020 leaf from japan, it gives 0 euro for VRT, the rate is 7 % but there must be a rebate or some thing, as you said an incentive.

yeah that was my understanding when I looked at importing an EV from the UK before so Japan shouldnt be any different

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks to be software based. I've not seen any UK or Ireland imports of the LEAFs from Japan, no idea if it's just the LEAF or if all sourced there would have a similar issue. I've seen dealers import pretty much every possible type of hybrid so with the savings being even more on the LEAF I'd have thought that would be a big target to bring in comparing it to the prices here.

Who or where said that a leaf cannot be charged here? Just curious on that .

I have a Japanese imported prius phev, charges fine on AC, Japanese use type 1 and chademo, so for AC charging a type 2 to type 1 cable is needed, which is for used for pre 2018 leafs, outlanders etc. here. Even European makes like BMW in japan will have the type 1 socket on the car.

Rapid DC chademo charging I have no idea, but why complicate things.

The things that would worry me is battery condition and its a leaf, short range EV at best.

With a phev, I factored in a 50% capacity drop and so far I find no problem with it, the half capacity would manage my daily needs and I would have petrol anyway.

M

It's not the physical connection, it's around the language and how to change it on the head unit and instrument panel where the issue looks to be, read this thread here before...

I'd not like to be the first importing one in to the country, not seen a single one here for sale or on the road. Also not seen any for sale in UK. Given the price difference of the Japanese version I'd have expected the place to be flooded with them like the way the taxi drivers latched on to the Jap Prius a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Is this the Australian company you were talking about who convert the head unit from Japanese to English?

They claim to be able to do it by sending you out a SD card with software on it, cost is AUD$345-$600 depending on year and model so in euros 220-400

Agree with you that its strange why dealers are not importing used Leafs especially given the demand for them and the price differential. If the head unit can be converted to english and charging isnt a problem could there be some other issue with NCT or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pieterblurb

Following this discussion. I am really considering importing a Leaf from Japan. Prices here have gone up massively here since the beginning of the year. I have a type 1 (UK originally) and love it. I would not like to be the first importing one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Interesting in exploring this for a Lexus CT200H (2016-2018) - I'll dive into research but I'm wondering if it's worth going through the hassle or just buying a second hand in Ireland. I guess with any second hand it's a lottery and you need to know what to look out for on top of having all the documentation in place.

General question though would the cars in Japan typically be more likely to come with higher spec like we'd see in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The highest spec you'll get is an F-Sport, and personally I'd buy from a dealer here with a years warranty minimum. Hybrid batteries show their age from around 7 years old, so if one fails within the year of owning it'll be covered under warranty.

M

Pricing is usually more than here in Japan for CT200h before you even add VRT, VAT and shipping cost, I'd go for UK model instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I’ve had 2 hybrids no issues whatsoever with the hybrid batteries

my second insight- Honda Insight forum

( Insight central ) check it out some with half a million miles plus no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

My 2010 one still flying no issue( different owner)

my 2012 nada issues

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

Hi there.

I've read the whole thread but nobody mentioned what is the best site to auction for importing japanese cars. Plus do you recommend FOB or CIF?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭User1998

To be honest all the auction buying sites are the exact same, I wouldn’t say one is any better than the other.

I have a few questions:

Once the car arrives to Dublin Port, we have 7 days to go through the NCT. However I need to put the car license reg first to the car. Are these provided once we go through VRT? How do you manage?

I mean... what is it the right process once the car arrives to Dublin docks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You don't have 7 days to go through the NCT, where did you see that?

Car arrives to the docks, your customs agent tells you how much you owe and you send them your Original copy of the Bill of Lading and once payment clears then you're allowed to collect the car. After that, you have 28 days to present the car at a VRT center without accruing a late fee. From that point, you can NCT the car whenever you want.

Copying and pasting from the NCT:

"An appointment to have your vehicle inspected must be made within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle). You must then complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State."

How do you move the car from the docks without NCT, car license, Motor tax or car insurance?

An appointment needs to be made within 7 days, that appointment could be up to 30 days after the car landing at the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm looking at the Audi A7 3.0tfsi, a dealer in Dublin has 5 of them, all Jap imports. However when I look on ros VRT calculator to how much it would cost to VRT one it doesn't list the car when I tick the box for a Japanese import. If I untick it, so it goes through as a UK import then it recognises the newer more powerful version.

Is there any difference in the VRT rates between jap and UK imports?

It comes back as just over 6k! I can't see how a dealer has bought one, imported it, paid customs and VAT, then VRT and sell it for a profit at around €19,995.

To make any decent profit he would have had to have bought the car for around 8k Max.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭User1998

VRT is usually lower on Jap imports due to official Japanese emissions figures being lower and and a lower OMSP on the VRT calculator. On a €20k car a big dealer would be making at least €3k or more. Cars are cheap in Japan, its the freight, customs, and vrt that is expensive.

A 2011 A7, 77000km 3.5 grade. It sold for 6000 euros 2 weeks ago at an auction in japan, then its + + + + everything until you vrt it, I would think that an English car would be valued a little more and you would pay more vrt as a result

6k! Is that all!?! Wow! That's a lot cheaper than I thought.

I'm surprised the VRT calculator doesn't recognise the car as this dealer has, I presume, already put 5 through it. Another dealer had one not long ago too, I thought once a similar car had been entered it recognised it.

Thanks for replies.

In the above image, is the last figure on the right the average price?

Trying to make sense of it all.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

4,000 yen more like 4,000,000? Or maybe the th means it's thousands so 4,000 thousand so 4,000,000.

• Advertisement

It's confusing, 450,000 yen is only 3067 Euro, so surely a 2017 Civic Type R wouldn't sell for that low. However 4 million yen is over 30k Euro, so wouldn't be that high. What if it's actually in Euros, as JDM is based in Ireland, maybe that's the conversion? But again 4.5k for a Civic Type R 2017, surely that's too low.

On a side note the VRT calculator website is fairly useless. When choosing the Japanese import option it has hardly any cars listed. I tried Subaru's, Evo's, even a Nissan GTR and it doesn't have any of them even though the majority of those cars in this country would have came in via Japan. I expected that once a car had gone through once it would be in the database, but doesn't seem to be the case.

There's also no logic to it. I thought it was mostly based around emissions, yet I've put in details for 4+ltr V8's that come back at around 2-3k, yet a 2ltr Golf R or Civic Type R are over 10k 🤔

On a happy note, I was able to get an insurance quote from a comparison site for a 2008 Nissan GTR for €680 😂

Thanks for replies 👍

Advertisement