Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

15678911»

Comments

• Ah okay, seems bit of a con, when one can communicate with Revenue with the same detail and profiency as a customs broker.

Then again, does the Customs Broker keep you updated on when the car/ship has arrived and duly has it offloaded and stored? Am I right in thinking that storage is free for the 1st 7 days?

The broker doesn't just talk to customs, they also deal with the boat it comes in on, the Stevedoring company and also the physical release of the car. They notify you of every step along the way. First 7 days, from the first day it lands are free yeah.

• Planning to import a Honda fit from Japan, 2016 model perhaps or Honda insight 2014. Any tips.

Any tips and how much in percentage terms a car costing X in auction would cost here - On Road Cost say 3X or 4X?

Jazz of 2014 are being sold at 9K and 2016 at 10K. Will I save any significant money by importing say 2-3K????

insight of 2011 at 7k or 2014 at 11K in Ireland.

• Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Planning to import a Honda fit from Japan, 2016 model perhaps or Honda insight 2014. Any tips.

My friend bought an insight and auction records show dealer sold it for 7000 while he had bought it for about than 2K. R Grade car.

I want to buy on my own to avoid buying a damaged car and save 2-3K.

He might have bought it for 2 grand, but shipping is another grand, then import fees including customs and vat will bring it up another 2 grand, then VRT, tyres and maintenence will be another grand and now it owes him 6 grand. He made a grand off you, not 5.

R doesn't always mean 'damaged'.

• He might have bought it for 2 grand, but shipping is another grand, then import fees including customs and vat will bring it up another 2 grand, then VRT, tyres and maintenence will be another grand and now it owes him 6 grand. He made a grand off you, not 5.

R doesn't always mean 'damaged'.

Thanks. I didnt say he made 5K. My post said save 2K indicating money made well worth his efforts.

Why buy a R when you can get a 4 rated by paying 1k higher perhaps.

Not to distract from the topics, Im seeking tips to import. Not to gauge his money or proffits

Planning to import a Honda fit from Japan, 2016 model perhaps or Honda insight 2014. Any tips.

Any tips and how much in percentage terms a car costing X in auction would cost here - On Road Cost say 3X or 4X?

I see you have edited your post but as above the dealer would have only made about €1.5k profit on that deal after all costs.

R grade means that a panel has been replaced or the car is modified. It usually indicates accident damage. They are always cheaper which is why they might be popular to import

On the road cost really depends on the car. But very roughly its about 4x the cost. If a car costs €1,000, shipping is another €1,000, vat and customs around €700, customs broker fee, port fees, nct, tax, €400, VRT depends on the car, usually €700+, and then you have possible tyre and battery change, €300.

Also you need to make yourself aware of all of the paperwork involved and the emissions etc or your car will be left to rot at Dublin port.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I didnt say he made 5K. My post said save 2K indicating money made well worth his efforts.

Why buy a R when you can get a 4 rated by paying 1k higher perhaps.

Not to distract from the topics, Im seeking tips to import. Not to gauge his money or proffits

It was a breakdown of your example, not necessarily what you did or didn't say.

A 4 can be a 3 in another Auction House. My own R32 was a 3.5 in 2014, and six years later it was an R because it got a bonnet and a grille, nothing else had changed. Take each individual car on its own merits, and not what the sheet says.

Get in touch with a GOOD importer, who can organise scoping the car before it goes through the auction.

Personally, I had 13 cars checked before I found my own GTR, and I didn't even end up buying from auction.

• Hoping to import a Nissan Fairladyz from Japan. Question is the amount of vat and duty payable calculated on the documentation from the auction house or does the Irish customs decide the value of the car.

• It's calculated on the cost of car/transport/clearance/insurance/shipping, basically whatever it costs you to land the car in Ireland, the duty and vat is calculated off that. Its the VRT that's the random number game (assuming it's post 1991 and not eligible for classic vrt)

On the grading note, don't let it be the sole decider in picking a car, there can be good R's and bad, likewise 3.5/4 that are rough or great. There's less concern with the likes of newer or family cars, but when it comes to anything performance related/vintage era it's a whole different ball game and they really need to be checked over in advance

• Hoping to import a Nissan Fairladyz from Japan. Question is the amount of vat and duty payable calculated on the documentation from the auction house or does the Irish customs decide the value of the car.

• The Nissan 350z (fairladyz) Is not listed when trying to calculate the VRT is there any way to get an accurate figure.

• Advertisement

• Unfortunately no, you won't get a figure until you present the car for VRT and revenue come back after a few days with a price, which could literally be anything from 1500 to 10,000. Even if you found someone who imported the exact same year and model ect recently, the price you get on the day can be totally different to theirs.

It's the gamble with importing from Japan with certain cars the past few years now, and doesn't look likely to change either.

• Dragon6250 wrote: »
    The Nissan 350z (fairladyz) Is not listed when trying to calculate the VRT is there any way to get an accurate figure.

If you find out the emissions of the car (which you will have to do yourself anyway if importing from Japan) you will know the VRT rate, so most likely 36% for that car. If you find similar models on Donedeal for say €10,000, the VRT should be around €3,600 + Nox, but as above it could be anything really.

Advertisement