Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh right, I did not hear that. What were the chronic illnesses? Respiratory I presume? Were these healthy children that got Covid after getting vaccinated or was it only unvaccinated children?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Type I Diabetes... at higher risk of developing... for one.

Studies all over the place now finding this in young children and adolescents.

Mainly those with a family disposition, but while not sure yet if it 'causes' it, it may be that it sets a chain in motion that hyperstimulates an autoimmune reaction that starts the illness by atracking the insulin making cells in the pancreas.

Other long Covid problems like cardiac or respiratory problems can or may resolve in time but once your body develops an autoimmune illness like T1 Diabetes, you have it for life.

Just children who got Covid. Not about whether they got vaccinated or not, just its not a benign illness for everybody, young or old. And children do require protection fron it whether that be vaccination or just trying to ensure they don't catch it. Difficult, I know.

And just to add, development of type 1 diabetes is often, not always, triggered by a response to a viral infection, but these studies are showing the risk to be higher with covid. It is still a low risk for children generally, but doctors are now recommending that families with T1 diabetes in their genetic history observe their children for signs of diabetes, thirst peeing lots and frequently, sleeping more, losing a lot of weight without trying, in the first month or two after infection.

Apoarently the risk level falls back after about 2 months to the usual levels of incidence.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CruelSummer threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

i know a few who developed some of the long Covid symptoms from the initial Pfizer vaccine 12 months ago. They developed POTS (tachycardia upon standing for lengths of time) & their cardiologists had seen it in many other young people.

POTS can be triggered in younger people 20s by immune responses like infection & vaccines.

It seems to be one of the more common long Covid issues in all ages.

• Advertisement

Interesting.

Have never heard of this connected to a vaccine , infections yes .

Only similar reaction would be a vaso vagal episode which would cause a similar response to an injection for example .

Fainting .

Unless you have data about this in relation to vaccines ??

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9170305/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

My wife has POTS & her cardiologist told her that a lot of cases that he saw were from the 2nd dose last year.

I heard Dr Jack Lambert from the Mater on the radio mention that a subset of their long Covid cases had onsets shortly after the vaccine. That was a few weeks ago, I presume the study of it will be ongoing for quite a time. But he said it hints that the spike protein itself is implicated in the reaction in many cases.

Hopefully they will be able to get ideas for long Covid treatment based on that knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-393X/10/7/991/htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8101507/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13760-022-02002-2

https://academic.oup.com/ehjcr/article/5/12/ytab472/6444985

A few studies regarding cases of pots after covid 19 vaccination. I know there are a ton of people on reddit claiming this has happened to them but obviously take that with a grain of salt!

Will do , thanks 😁

Not to be smart but there are always incidental reactions to any medication or vaccine , which is what these are , at present , unless it is shown to be a bigger issue .

And it is good for these cases to be examined as it may lead to new treatments , or if found to be more than incidental, improved safety .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Joseph A. Ladapo MD, PhD, State Surgeon General of Florida as of 7th October recommends against the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines for males ages 18-39 years old.

They have done a study of mortality following mRNA Covid-19 vaccination and found that “there is an 84% increase in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination.”

Consequently they suggest that “Individuals with preexisting cardiac conditions, such as myocarditis and pericarditis, should take particular caution when considering vaccination and discuss with their health care provider.”

And issued the following guidance: “patients should be informed of the possible cardiac complications that can arise after receiving a mRNA COVID-19 vaccine. With a high level of global immunity to COVID-19, the benefit of vaccination is likely outweighed by this abnormally high risk of cardiac- related death among men in this age group.”

The study also found:

• Males over the age of 60 had a 10% increased risk of cardiac-related death within 28 days of mRNA vaccination
    • Non-mRNA vaccines were not found to have these increased risks among any population

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/20221007-guidance-mrna-covid19-vaccines-doc.pdf

Personally, I like the idea of an informed consent. Great idea. About 1.5 year late though.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

The silence on this is deafening. Is the Florida Surgeon General an anti vaxxer now :-) The reality of these issues is slowly coming to the fore, and the denial of the issues will continue.

Shocking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

well Look at when he was appointed. At the time he didn’t want vaccines, refused to order vaccines for the state and plays the antivax card. So yes he is. He has been known as one for a while. Could he be right, sure. But I’m waiting on 49 other state surgeon generals to agree with. Clearly there is at least one..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That surgeon General is against vaccine mandates. I know these days that makes one anti vaxx but it was a fairly non controversial opinion until a couple or years ago. He also recommends against healthy children receving the vaccine, the same as countries like Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Are they also playing the 'anti vax card'? Other countries, like France, stopped the use of the moderna vaccine in men under 30 due to the heart risk. How come that decision wasn't attacked? The US gives that same vaccine (albeit in a lower dose) to babies from 6 months old.

I'm sure other states will follow this in the coming weeks, and they will also be derided as anti vax and attempts made to discredit the conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Does getting Covid give any immune protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Thanks - that’s interesting and puts my mind at ease about another booster. Three doses and an omicron infection should keep me going awhile. Just need the flu shot now.

Ladapo is an antivax surgeon general appointed by an antivax governor who have both presided over a very poor vaccine rollout and the deaths as a result of a very high proprtion of their citizens.

The piece that Walus quotes does not apoear to mention either the complete study or that the conclusions of the study are being questioned by the authors themselves due to the calculation of relative risk in relation to the sample studied, and other confounding factors.

They recommend further studies which remove the confounders before "drawing any conclusions" on this data. However Ladapo has jumped straight away, most would say because of his bias and not his trust in the science.

Yes, it is good to see informed consent, but let it be informed by accurately applied and verified research. Its different if ia study shows that it is in the public interest to Immediately make changes to the vaccination rollout.

After all that is what followed after earlier research, with Moderna.

Moderna btw was shown to have a definitively higher risk for those males under 30.

Also... It is widely recomnended Ceadaoin, including here in Ireland, that only children at higher risk or in families where there are vulnerable members get further doses of vaccination.

I expect when the data from Florida is looked at they will find that the people who were vaccinated were higher risk than the people who did not get vaccinated to begin with.

The study presumes that the people in both groups were of equal risk. This is contrary to what we know and uptake of vaccines is higher in higher risk groups.

The study also fails to even consider if there was an increase year on year in actual cardiac related deaths.

The data really needs to be drilled into. It is way to premature to make any decisions or recommendations based on this data.

I agree completely with the summary in previous post:

They recommend further studies which remove the confounders before "drawing any conclusions" on this data. However Ladapo has jumped straight away, most would say because of his bias and not his trust in the science.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Anti mandate does not equal anti vax. Which is a phrase that's going to become as meaningless as all the other "anti" slurs that have been invented over the past few years since all this started.

Anti mask, anti vax, anti lockdown - basically anything that does not agree with the western neo liberal governments is "anti" I have now heard people been called climate change "deniers" because they question how much of an impact CO2 emissions in Ireland affect global emissions (basically zero)

As mentioned above other European countries have stopped vaccinating younger ages groups so are these entire countries anti vax now ?

How could it be possible that once surgeon general pulls the vaccine for under 40s and another (california) mandates it for all school going children? Its nonsensical.

This whole issue has been politicised neo liberal governments pushing an agenda that so many people are more than happy to believe and defend regardless of the data as it emerges. People are "all in" on this and most will never admit they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The data largely supports government actions though, most governments, left and right, let the scientists guide policy as much as possible.

It's mostly "far right" incompetents like trump, bolsanaro, or dictatorships (e.g. Uganda) that tried to go against scientific advice, politicised the problem, and made the pandemic much worse than it needed to be (along with taking advantage of whole new bunch of loo-lahs via conspiracies).

• Advertisement

Yes , it is politicised so much in America that Republicans who were largely following anti mask/ anti vaxx policies espoused by their governors ( you can't discuss these without using the word anti !) died in greater numbers than Democrats.

So when do any of these politicians admit they were wrong and probably caused more loss of life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Not a great look here in the context of the vaccine passports at least. Seemed more interested in being the first to market than anything else. No wonder the contracts with the EU are mostly redacted.

Why would they?

The decision on vaccine passports was taken separately and later and was not taken by pfizer.

If you want to question passports do so on the data the decision was based on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Not really, trump was calling for the rush to market while others were letting the process take the time it needs to be safe (and they are proven overwhelmingly safe).

The trials also tested for symptomatic infection, that was made clear to everyone from day 1. Now, could there be magic fairies about that cause sars-cov2 to spread without any symptoms, sure, do they need to test for such things? No, if you eliminate the symptom's, you also (mostly) eliminate infections as well (SARS-COV2 did have a few early symptom super spreader events which made it hard to control but seemed to be rare enough that they didn't cause issue for vaccines, so there was a low chance of the magic fairy occurring, which again, wouldn't be reasonably tested for). And they were proven right, infections among the vaccinated dropped off a cliff, severe disease was almost eliminated, as the vaccine effects waned, infections rose but severe disease efficacy remained in place for all variants.

+ more whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Good video with John Campbell about the apparent lack of transmission prevention testing by Pfizer.

Guess he just doesn't understand the "speed of science"

It sounds like he doesn't understand the trials full stop.

And the grasp of science seems tenuous.

But just for a larf, what do you think the trial endpoints were?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

A study in BMJ which finds a clearly elevated risk of blood clots:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

"But remember this is coronavirus, Covid-19. That means there have been 18 other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any"

The then minister of health Simon Harris

Yes. Very good .

The study does show a higher rate with the adenovirus based vaccines versus mRNA Pfizer , which is the reason if you remember that AstraZeneca was restricted in the vaccine rollout in Europe , although it wasn't a popular move at the time .

At the time it was precautionary, now it is proven that that was the correct way to go .

Again shows that vaccine authorising bodies in most countries were proactive and ensuring safety .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I miss the term ”antivax”! We hear it all too seldom nowadays.

Advertisement