Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY PV install

• 08-10-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

We are well into our instal so I thought I would post our progress here.

We got:-

x28 all black 405w Longi panels

x2 Solis 6kw your inverters

k2 fixings

Fitted x14 panels on our Annex, south facing, in two rows (strings) of x7

Build a small outhouse at the back of the property to house the running gear, so far have mounted the inverters, switches and a breakout box for the fuses, wired some of that up.

My Dad is helping me with this as he is a retired Instrument technician.

The panels on Annex will be run off one of the one inverters (two strings) as the bottom string has some shade during winter due to a nearby lampost .

The other x14 are going on my shed, x7 east facing, x7 West facing so two strings

Our Annex is powered from the Cottage where my parents live, hopefully this will help offset our usage as it is quite high between my folks and my own family of x5.

We are still trying to source a Solis 5g 1 phase power manager so that the two inverters will work/ together correctly once set up, I know they can be got but they seem elusive at the moment, heat merchants have them but won’t sell them to non REC certified people.

Also we don’t have enough materials for the shed yet, discovered we need way more hook, flashings etc, our rafters are 600mm spacings, we live in a very windy area so ended up putting the hooks on every rafter (x60 total), we only ordered x72 thinking this would be enough for the shed also, trying to order more now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 welshchris77

Few pics on our progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

I’m thinking of doing the same, not electrical in anyway but thinking of mounting the panels wiring the strings of panels and running the cables for an electrician to finish. Where did you buy the gear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Looking great. South East of the country, I'm guessing. Should be great for sun.

I presume the netting is to stop the starlings from nesting?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Them panels won't be coming off the roof anytime soon! Well fixed on.

I don't think there is half the number of roof mounts on the slate roof we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

How much is this costing you?

What savings do you think you'll make by doing it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What sized cable will you be running back to consumer unit, 12kW is a lot

A know a person who is an installer, he got me the materials but the company he deals with is so busy right now they are not dealing with the public, I believe their are other companies who do though👍

Thank you, yes South East.

I read that nesting pigeons and such can be a fire hazard and they do hang around between our roof and the neighbours shed in close proximity next door so I installed a bird guard, it was easier to do it as we were fitting the panels, the off the shelf option is crazy expensive so I made my own from some old galvanised mesh fencing I had left over from a rabbit run we had years ago, knew it would come in handy for something one day😁

we used galvanised wire left over from a stripped armoured cable and tied it to the hooks

Hopefully they will stay on yes, lol.

I read somewhere that the ideal spacing is between 800mm to 1000mm, 800mm for windy areas, we would have gone for 800mm spacings but due to the rafters being 600mm spacing we could only go to either 600mm or 1200mm, we aired on the side of caution and went with 600mm to be on the safe side😉👍

Around 11k, I recon we could be saving a few k anyhow, we are on a tight budget so doing our best to keep the costs down

• Advertisement

Yes 12kw is a lot, I doubt it will ever reach that though with half the panels on the shed being East/West facing.

The run to the consumer unit is not far, roughly 3/4 meters, I haven’t bought the cable yet but was thinking 10mm2 would be sufficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

11k not too bad there’s a chap I saw on Facebook very similar costing 24k with install then minus grant. I have been looking at getting gear from the North, as it’s Vat free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Very interesting, so as I understand Export Power Manager will allow you to keep your export to the grid at a max of 6Kw as per regulatory requirements for single phase.

Question : what happens on the odd sunny day when this is at max and you have nowhere else to put power ? Can the inverters be instructed to lower the amount taken from the panels or what way does it work ? thanks

Thanks, yeah getting it from the North sounds like a good option, I believe the pound is weak against the euro so could be a good time to do that 👍

Exactly yes, just have to find a crowd that can sell me one now, if anyone can help with that I would appreciate it.

I doubt there will be many times where we will produce too much power as between ourselves and my parents in the cottage we use quite a lot of power, my parents also have a old mobile home running of the meter with electric heaters, fridge etc, it is a waste of energy in my opinion but it belonged to my late brother and they like to use that also during the daytime.

My Dad recons the inverters ramp down if too much power is being produced but I am not sure yet on that, I did see a YouTube video of the inverters being set to a desired output, worse case scenario we can cut the power to one of the inverters via the dc switch during the height of summer if that turns out to be the case, knock it back on during the winter months.

I guess I will find out more about everything once it is all up and running, then see how it goes, learn as we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

@welshchris77, fair play for 1) doing it 2) telling us how you did it. This really makes DIY much more possible when we see the step by step (which you're still working out in places here with the help of others). Sadly I'm in suburbia and will remain so but can dream of a setup like yours :)

And this will help your folks hugely as shields them from energy costs (petrol gone with EV. Can reduce gas / oil as can start to use a lot of heating from solar now for the months that aren't pure winter). Of course ye get that same benefit. And class that you and your Dad are both heavily involved working on it together.

Brilliant thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

With 2 houses you could use 2 eddi's ( https://myenergi.com/product/eddi/ ) I guess to dump into hot water, are you using batteries ?

Thank you so much, I really do hope it helps others and I hope you can be a position some day where you can do something similar.

I won’t lie, fitting the hooks and setting up scaffolding was real hardship as my Dad is almost 70 and I am disabled, probably took us a month to do that part where it would normally only take a few days for others but it doesn’t bother us 😊

Yes we may add eddi diverters at a future date but we have run out of money now, pretty much used my life savings on this.

same for batteries, can’t really afford them right now but it would be nice to have them some day😊👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭DC999

Any divertor (eddi, battery...) can wait for now - they are all 'nice to have' for you. If you have a Zappi to charge the car from Solar that's a huge battery to soak the excess. Again, that's a nice to have as can charge on a cheap night rate.

Get the panels live (or even some of them) and then you're making power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

this is a great job @welshchris77 and you should be very proud of it. Inspirational stuff.

10sq is plenty, you will easily get 11kW+ no problem, I installed my second 6kW inverter mid August and was getting 11kW and I have much poorer aspect than you. Full S and split E/W is absolute perfection in terms of setup.

I thought I was doing a nice order of 16 455w panels earlier in the Summer, boss man said they were loading up a 40ft with 500 of the panels with 500 optimisers for a factory roof install, talk about easy money

Yes can add that latter😉👍

We actually all clubbed together a few months ago to get an old 2015 G1 leaf, I sold my parents old 01 Corolla to put towards it, we kept our own old Corolla for long journey’s (which are very few). The range on the leaf is not great but fine for local trips to the nearest town.

We ran a cable and outdoor socket to charge the leaf using its granny charger so that will soak up some of the power yes, it only has a 3.3kw charger so the granny suits it for now, in the future if we are in a position to upgrade the ev (with a better charging circuit) I would look into getting a zappi 😁👍

Fantastic!, I am excited to get things up and running, can’t wait to start using the Electric we are producing, even if it just the South facing array for now until we get more hooks and a power manager.😊

Can I ask, are you on single phase also, and if so did you need to use a power manager for the inverters?

The inverters can regulate themselves, if you can get a CT for them. Just set an export limit on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes will be adding a CT clamp to the tails from my meter, I think the issue is though when two inverters are both running on the same circuit there can be conflicts with them communication wise or similar or they just won’t work properly.

The plan is to connect both inverters to the data manager, one data logging stick is then connected to the manager for monitoring and also a CT clamp from the manager back to the tails between the electric meter and consumer unit at the cottage😁

Possibly could be over thinking this.

You only need 1 inverter to throttle.

Set the export limit to say 6kw.

One inverter works away absolutely oblivious, the second controls down (all the way to 0 if necessary) to try and stay under the 6kw limit.

Whhhaaaaa? There's a special CT required? I've just installed a bog standard one, not worried about export at the minute given time of year

Is it working? What CT did you install (as theres not really a "standard" CT) they all have different variations. Some have burden resistors, some dont etc.

Yeah I hear you, just going on what my Dad told me to be honest, neither of us are super knowledgeable about this though,some trial and error at this point, I will pass on your information to him, if it does turn out we don’t need the power manager then all the better as it will save us a chunk of money, thank you👍

Post edited by welshchris77 on

Just laid it, I’ve to hook up second inverter to separate 6sq to consumer unit (existing shared cable was getting hot) so was going to do all at the same time, never even looked at the input Solis side being honest, never dawned on me

• Advertisement

Found one for 25.

Looks like it uses a rj45

A bit more poking it looks like it needs a 5a and the ratio is 3000:1

Just looked at the CT input on my Solis, a proprietary connection🙄

My next step is getting the 10mm2 cable, hopefully tmw, need just over 5m, will get 6m to be on the safe side.

Our plan is to wire the ac line outs from the inverters into a breakout box (small consumer unit, seen in my pics), each to a 32a mcb, then connect them both to the 10mm2 cable and out to the consumer units 63a RCCA (main fuse) input, we had discussed adding another RCCA to the breakout box and adding a mcb for one socket and another for one light (for the outhouse), still undecided about what way we will do this though🤔, what way have others done this?

Maybe it can be adapted in some way to fit the socket on your Solis🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭allinthehead

You should have double pole overcurrent and rcd protection (rcbo) for that 10sq at the main consumer unit.

The pv should have a separate supply so technically you shouldn't be running other citcuits from that feed.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

I have 32amp rcbo in house CU and each inverter in the shed off a 25amp rcbo. I think you only need the ct and export limitation on one inverter if you want to save another few euro. It just means it limit that one inverter harsher than both reducing equally. I only have 1 inverter with export limiting function so that’s the way mine will run

Well I suppose if the 10 mm2 went out into its own consumer unit in the shed and then the solar, lights and sockets are wired from that.

That’s what I’m planning too, limit one of the two inverters to zero export

Ok thanks for the advise, I wasn’t sure, this is my current set up on my consumer unit at the moment

If it's only a 5 meter run then 16 sq should be considered and the sub board moved to the correct height. It looks a little low in the picture. I would still install double pole overcurrent protection on the cable feeding the sub board and surge protection should also be installed at the main board. The new board should also have a double pole isolator and as stated above the inverters should have rcd protection.

☀️

I'd agree with the 16mm2, do it once do it right.

And putting the consumer units in the right height too!

There's (legacy) ones in our yards and accessibility to them is horrible.

Anything new/upgraded is at the right height. And big, with plenty of space to work in.

Odd that your main board has a 63 rccb. Can you upload a picture of the inside of your meter cabinet? You may not have overcurrent protection on your main board. You might want to check the size of the cable feeding the immersion too, it's protected by a 32 amp mcb.

☀️

Thank you, so basically in regards to what materials I need:-

1. A Double pole over-current protection - 63A RCBO - for the cable feeding the sub box
    2. A surge protection breaker installed at main board (none installed inside the box by the way), any recommendations on what type?
    3. Two rcd's - 32A would suffice I take it?, type B?
    4. Replace the RCCB with a 63A RCBO (when we got it we asked for a RCBO at wholesalers and were given this (possibly by mistake), we assumed they did the same thing at the time but I looked it up and they are obviously not, RCCB only detects Earth leakage as I understand it🙄)
    5. 6m of 16mm2 cable

The immersion (3kw I think, small tank) is running off a 2.5mm2 cable, If I recall we put a 32A instead of a 16a mcb temporarily as we didn't have a 16a on hand at the time, completely forgot about this, will swap that out, thanks for reminding me 👍️

On a side note:- our consumer unit (at our annex) is feed from the consumer unit at my parents cottage, with that in mind when I get the CT clamp it will have to travel some distance (not measured yet, perhaps 50m) to the meter tails at the Cottage, I will have to extend the cable and bury it, part of the way at least, there is some existing conduit along the path

For CT extension, there is bury-able CAT6 out there, not that expensive, I picked mine up from AMZ warehouse and just laid it under concrete pour, all good since! CT can be extended 100m so you are grand with the 50m

1. You have this board supplied from the main board in your parents cottage? What size is the cable feeding it and does it have overcurrent protection? It's not a good idea having an rcbo as the main overcurrent protection as a fault in any of the other circuits will bring down the whole board. Is the installation neutralised? If you upload an image of the inside of the meter cabinet I can tell from that.
    2. Type 2 double pole surge protection. Garo do a nice little kit for that.
    3. 25 amp B type rcbo for each inverter should be good but you should refer to inverter manual for sizing and type.
    4. If the cable supplying the board in the annex has overcurrent protection then an 80 amp isolator in the annex board is fine but you then need to consider rcd protection for the socket circuits and the immersion.
    5. That's what I would go with. Your annex board is 50 meters from the main board right? That's a long run to the annex board, hopefully 16sq was used there.

☀️

• Advertisement
Advertisement