Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Didn't know you were talking about a build up of hour working from home. We've never been allowed to work up hours when working from home, any extra time you put in wasn't given back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Your using a VPN, so they obviously are allowing other locations. I'm not CS. But we allow specific people limited access through VPN from other locations. I know that sometimes an external company changes their routing and their VPN connections fail as a result. So it must check where its coming from, and routing through. I'm not a network guy but that seems likely.

thought that was the arrangement. WFH you can't build up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 WonderWall78

Yes that’s correct I recall signing a copy of that, doubt it would have been updated to include blended working now though, But I’ll check on the intranet. Thank you.

That’s true. I did think there’s probably lots who live in Newry for example but work in Dublin or Dundalk and who are probably doing some form of blended work now.

• Advertisement

Yes I reckon contacting IT for any technical issues would flag it to them that someone is up in Northern Ireland as they would then see the IP address.

I took the policy as that as well, did they get permission from their managers first though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You're not being clear about this.

Are you saying your organisation is now implementing a Blended Working Policy (many organisations' policies seem to be kicking in from 1st October) and have set out what they're doing with regard to flexi in this policy?

Right now, under DPER's framework, there are 3 options open to organisations where blended working is operating. IIRC, they are:

1) No flexi at all

2) You can work up flexi when you're in the office, but not when WFH

3) You can work up flexi whether you're in the office or WFH.

It sounds like you're saying your employer is going for option 1?

If you have 4 hours carried into this period from last period, you're entitled to take them before the end of this period.

If you just worked up the 4 hours in this period, and you're told you're losing them, I'd either be saying to my line manager "hey, I'm taking this time off before the end of the period", or getting on to Fórsa - flexi arrangements were previously agreed at General Council, so removing them requires more than "Ehh, yeah, no more flexi, you're losing your hours" from management. Especially if the notice is so short you can't take the leave.

It might well be worthwhile picking up the phone, though, and getting your HR department to clarify what they mean.

My dept is working on a whitelist of locations outside the State, (eg. Brussels) where staff can log onto their work computers, as this has been an issue when outside the country. I believe if travelling for official business, you can request a location to be added.

I think the "not outside the State" clause is to prevent staff going to Spain or the like for months on end.

unfortunatley I can’t go to Spain for months on end unless I find a body double to attend the office for me two days a week 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Depends where you're working. Some employers, yes, you can build up flexi when WFH.

A timely plug: new survey on current Blended Working policies across the civil service/local government is available here and open until the end of the weekend  https://forms.gle/55tQJ3FcP68Zn2KA7

Where I am it used to a local agreement of your manager. Which meant some few had it most didn't. Any who did had it lost it during COVID. No idea what the situation is now since they tell anyone what they are doing.

The ones I've seen the error message says its geo blocked.

Likely they have access to specific systems and applications only depending on role.

Another reason they are pushing for anchor days in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

Honestly no idea, it’s a complete waste of time coming into the office as I can do all of my work from home, one day a week would have been enough to be honest.

Geo wouldn’t be as bad as a trigger warning, although wouldn’t want to try logging in on a Monday morning up that way and finding myself Geo blocked.

I assume your meant to know and have agreed to the IT policies of your organisation before using them. That's normally how its done. We required permission countersigned by a manager. But as others commented everywhere has different rules.

I recall signing an IT policy, but it probably hasn’t been updated since blended work has been introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Absolutely raging this evening.

Our department had put out the policy last month, standard would be max 3 days wfh, 2 in office. Subject to business needs, continuity of service etc.

I had got a few applications from people reporting to me to do 3 days wfh, thought all was rosey but my own head of section was being evasive when I'd ask her should I just approve and she'd say she still had to read up on the policy etc. Ok grand.

Anyway we had a vc briefing on blended working this afternoon. They have dreamt up a policy for our function, which is mostly office based with some site work, and has been performing fine since covid hit with some people working fully from home and others from office as they preferred.

Some grades are only being permitted 1 day wfh, others 2 days wfh, while others in our department and building will be able to avail of 3 days wfh.

Honestly I'm livid about it, mostly about the lack of consultation and the attitude from coming from above on this. oh by the way, applications need to be in by end of next week or there's no wfh.

I dont care a whole lot for myself because I can duck and dive with the best of them but the grades they've decided are 1 day wfh are the more junior or lower paid. There is just no justification for treating us differently other than begrudgery and meanness.

Seriously considering packing it in, totally demotivated and the work is pure crap to begin with. The PS is such a poxy place to work sometimes, 15 years in at this stage.

Finishing a hdip at the end of the year that I've had to do on the sly and intending on a career change, at this rate it'll be 6 months sick leave before I give them the two fingers as I walk out the door.

Would love a career break for a few years but am full sure it would he denied based on 'business need'.

I let rip at the PO at the end of the VC lol and I plan on giving my manager an earful the next time I can corner her. I am seriously beyond the point of no return at the stage.

Anyway just wanted a rant haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Augme

Maybe the second last paragraph might provide a bit of clarity as to why they don't trust you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Customers?

We're clearly only talking about staff here.

WTF has role got to do with it? Do COs not handle a great deal of confidential information?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

If you read what he posted it's the lower grades that they don't trust. It's a reward of inflexibility for being flexible during lockdown.

There's always been a carry forward limit: 10:30, 11:00, 11:30

What the other poster appeared to be referring to was having hours built up WFH wiped off even below that limit.

Seems to me some departments are setting blended working up to fail.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Every day I look at logins from outside and determine how legit they are, so yes people are looking, and in our case anything outside the state is flagged up for review. We have a handful of people working in particular countries and some of our IT support providers have people based outside the state now too, but these are regulars and known to us. We have quite a few more who travel all over the place and could be logging in from literally anywhere. So it's unlikely to be a problem with IT but rather with HR.

Dept of Foreign Affairs of course has people working globally so a transfer there might help 😁

Since early summer we've been clocking at home as well as in the office (before that, WFH days were just credited as a full day regardless of hours, and most people were working more and not getting any credit for it) so now flexi time and flexi leave can be accumulated just the same whether in the office or at home. WFH policy is 2 days a week in as standard.

Are people below a certain grade not allowed to voice an opinion as to how their jobs are performed?

I have heard - completely unofficially - that given the low numbers in attendance in the office on some days, it is now being considered whether some buildings should be closed completely for up to 2 days every week to conserve energy. This could have a big impact on WFH patterns.

• Advertisement

I realise that. I'm just saying it might be new to the CS but it's not new.

But I agree it's death by a thousand paper cuts.

We are starting to see more meetings being moved off line. Which is a similar tactic.

Advertisement