Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"i'm a guy - i don't buy cards or presents".. really?

Options
  • 04-10-2022 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭

So, a male friend of mine, asked me if he should get a card and pressie for his mate's 50th this weekend (dinner party affair)..

I said "of course - don't you usually get such for your mates/family etc?"..

he said "I'm a guy - we don't do stuff like that"....

I was v surprised..

Is this what other guys think or is he alone in this belief?

Post edited by sporina on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He's not alone but he's not in a majority either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Most of the lads I know are like this, it's refreshing when they are actually thoughtful though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Wouldn't dream of a present for male friends. Wouldn't expect anything either.

I'll buy them pints and do them favours, but gifts? Big no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group presents would come with a card, signed by everyone who contributed but I wouldn’t be getting a card for a mate’s birthday.

A milestone birthday warrants a present but, again, I wouldn’t be getting a card.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

i think its overdone a lot of the time, i could happily live the rest of my life without ever getting or giving another card

presents im all for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'll admit. Not my strong point

Afraid of being thought of as gay and having feelings for a mate, I suppose. 🤔😱 Just shows how far the Irish male has come.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's actually 'wtf' is the compulsion to buy crappy gifts that people may not actually want and end up being thrown out or on the shelves of charity shops...either way destined for landfill. Most people are terrible at buying presents.

Buy them drinks, cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I might send a personal WhatsApp as opposed to going via the group....

Yeah not crappy stuff; either give a voucher for something you know they like, buy them something you know they life (eg bottle of decent whisky), or take them out for a feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SkullduggerousRogueOne

For a 50th I'd see if people are doing a group gift I could chip in for...(example if he's a golfer and all chip in for a new club). Otherwise no gift. No sense in giving a 50 year old man a gift unless really needs it and it's quality. Perhaps a card, particularly if dinner is being put on ... Basically don't show up empty handed, a bottle of what he drinks for a 50th is very appropriate.

Bunch of my mates all chipped in back in the day and got me a PlayStation. Never forget it. And we all played it at my gaf. Lads should defo be okay with getting their mates a present. It's just not something you're expected to do and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If it's a work colleague, I give nothing. I've enough to pay for without contributing to some dose I work with simply because I work with them. We have created a world where appreciation is judged by the "value" of the gift, and not the thought. Christmas is a fine example of it. Outside of my immediate family, I wouldn't buy many people presents, regardless of the birthday. Only a select few who have proven they're genuine nice people. And usually something they need, want or will get a giggle from. The last one is the main choice.

For years, one of my then-social groups used to give tenner presents, with the intent that they were to be inherently stupid, inappropriate or reminiscant of childhood. That usually resulted in a mini-Lego set. Everyone loves Lego.

But cards?! I hate them. Such a complete waste of resources to print a for-profit only mass produced cack. Hallmark laughing their holes off at the fools buying this tat. Having a card for every occasion is the height of stupidity and gives a great view into how people view gifts. Aside from Valentines, birthdays, anniversaries (mainly ones I'm involved in, and only the major ones for family members), and that was mainly to prevent any grief from not getting them, I don't buy cards. I actually can't remember the last time I bought a card for someone.

Flowers is another one. Here, have a bouquet of inevitable death to remind you how special you are. Potted plants would be better, at least they have a chance of them staying alive. People are so stupid and love their superfluous tat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't dream of giving someone over 18 a gift for their birthday other than my wife. No one would buy me anything either (thankfully). I have enough crap in the house without having more coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Valentines day card? 🤮 If you think cards are stupid and a con, how do you not see Valentines day as the biggest con in history?

I hate that day, usually its the couples who go all out getting presents and going out to dinner on the 14th, who fight like cats and dogs throughout the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beansys

Hate it and I cant stress this enough hate getting presents, cards etc for birthday or xmas from anyone except my wife and close family well should have said Mom and that's it. Everyone else and its turned in to chore as you need to return the favor at some stage usually I forget and then last minute need to scramble something and it pisses me off why I got my self in this mess. So last few years I turned in to a dick and flat refuse presents and cards with short explanation why. Some accept it some get over it and life is so much nicer without gifts for bday and xmas.

Now I do appreciate a good gift when something is out of the blue like a reminder on a certain thing that happened and some item reminded the mate of it so he buys it I do that occasionally and its always a nice surprise if you get what I mean.

I'm not big on the whole presents thing. I wish people just enjoyed occasions without the need for presents.

Obviously it's different for kids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As said, I only partook because it prevented more hassle in the long run. When I was in relationships, the other half seemed to be really into this craic. Just easier to partake in that 1 extra day than listen to the days/weeks/months/years of it afterwards. Bring single for a good while now means I don't even have to think about it! Hate valentines since it turned into 1-upmanship and social media/love stories/books/movies, etc turned it into something unachievable. Especially in your 20s and "in love".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When you reach a certain age it's pointless buying presents apart from for your kids wife,partner , eg we all have Xbox consoles ,TVs,cars , even people on welfare have 4o inch TVs and Nintendo switch's , game consoles smartphones, etc my family gave up buying presents when we reached the age of 40 ,

If you want to be nice to someone take me to a concert ,play, pub,restaurant and you pay for everything

But I think it's sexist crap to say only women buy presents I suppose 10 years ago he was saying no one wants to watch women play football on TV it's ridiculous

Now millions watch women play soccer on TV

If I had kids I buy em presents till they age of 20. Then say you are an adult I,LL help you with a deposit on a house or a car when you need one

Eg you don't need another pair of trainers ,you don't need to buy the latest iPhone

Using old phones laptops pcs helps the environment

Society changes women can do almost any job if they want to

How convenient i.m a mean Scrooge oh I'll just say men do,nt buy presents

Women seem to do most of the housework childcare

How much is a card 2 or 3 euro. I'd buy a card if it makes make girlfriend happy what's the harm ?

Buy another guy a few pints, yes.. definitely. An actual gift though? Nope. It's different with my female friends, as they actually want to receive gifts.

Most men I'm friends with, feel the same as I do.. that gifts are usually a waste of money (not something I want), but also it projects a sense of obligation on to others to reciprocate at a later stage. Meh to that. Friends are those there shouldn't be any stress or obligations involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

This is it. I think healthy male friendships are measured on a lot of very important things but buying gifts for each other is just a bit....superficial and a bit much?

Most guys don't like a fuss on their birthday and just appreciate a happy birthday, a couple of pints and that's it. Job done.

Cash when you're low? no worries get me back when you can. Need help with lifting something heavy? I'll be there Sat morning. Just broke up with a significant other? No problem I'll drop everything and I'll do my best to make you feel better.

A gift on the day of your birth? Sure why's that important, you have that every year.

I see some women having birthday weekends. WEEKENDS. The level of effort, time and money involved is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Birthday presents and parties are for kids under 12. People in their 20s and 30s need to get over themselves with this self-obsessed birthday shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I never get cards for people for birthday or christmas. I'd get my family presents for christmas but none of my male friends. Actually I got one of them a present a couple of years ago but they never used it so not going to be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm the exact same.

The only person over 18 that I give a present to is also your wife 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Even my wife is lucky to get a birthday present. Christmas, yes. We usually forget our anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Present and cards for a male pal? Not a chance. Nor would I expect any different.

Few pints and some good company beats some cheap tat.

Christmas and Hallmark Company holidays like Valentine's have become more about physical things that industry loves selling to us. Have it more about being present than presents imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Based on the premise that everyone drinks. We’ve a long way to go as a country.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between enjoying a drink and being a hopeless alco, but you knew that.

Advertisement