Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

What would the shortfall amount be if you were to only use the First Home scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Thanks guys for the response. The shortfall would be around 25k. We could get that from the first home scheme but I'm wary about taking too much from it as its such a new scheme and I don't know too much about it. Its a pity its not counted as part of your loan as I'm sure this is where most people will need it to bridge the gap and be eligible for HTB

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Another question some of you may be able to help me with. Both myself and my partner are civil servants and due a pay rise in Oct and Nov which will make us eligible for the loan we need to secure the HTB. If we were to pay the deposit on the house now, could we update our loan offer late November and then claim the HTB back? The house is due to be completed in Dec but could be delayed until the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

You can go back for an increased loan offer, but I'm not sure about the HTB part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

Best to send in a My Enquiries through MyAccount directly to the HTB team to get an exact answer. They answer all queries in date rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Hi, it was around 5 weeks from when we applied till they finally reviewed & updated it to approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭MooShop

Hi, has anyone gone through the claim and verification stage?

We've put through our claim for HTB and have received our claim number and access code.

Do we have to wait for a claim approval before getting our solicitor to verify? Or do we just give those details to solicitor now to verify?

We are building not buying.

Here's a pretty helpful pdf about the application, claim and verification stages stages for buying and building:

https://www.revenue.ie › htb-...PDF

Help to Buy – Summary Guide for Applicants July 2022 - Revenue

Does anyone know how long it takes roughly for a contractor to be registered for the help to buy scheme?

Got my loan offer today but development won't be completed until after it expires so I'll need to apply again. But the contractor is still going through the process of registering as HTB eligible through Revenue. I'm just concerned about the HTB scheme not being renewed in 2023 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 andysyn8

Hi, has anyone who has self built received their HTB in two separate payments? It looks like my wife's half has come through and not my half although both were part of the group application, approval and verification? Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ppd1990

Hello,

I am in a similar situation with my HTB application.

Context:

I am new to this whole house-buying thing in Ireland. My mortgage is approved by BOI and I am about to reserve a new build.

For my HTB application, revenue did not make it easier for me by having technical issues with creating a statement of liability, this is yet to be resolved. I paid an external accountant to file my returns on my behalf and I eventually got a tax clearance. Mind you the technical issue on revenue is still not resolved. They have been at it for close the three months now. Multiple emails and phone calls later I just get bounced around from one department to the other. Sometimes the phone gets disconnected after hearing my issue.

Now as per the rule I have to include my wife on the HTB application as she is part of the mortgage(because BOI says it is mandatory). But when I add her to the HTB group application she is mandated to choose a year of her tax year to be included in the claim. Now my previous year's tax is enough to cover the whole eligible amount of €30k. She is new to the country which is why she has no previous employment or tax history and cant choose a year as it says the previous year's statement of liability is not generated.

Question:

How do we get her name to be included on the HTB application without the need for selecting previous years while making the HTB application?When I made the HTB application as an individual I got approval for the full €30k. Any suggestions on how this conflict can be resolved?

Appreciate any help I can get in this regard. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I added my wife to the group, but she did not have to select any years as my year covered the entire amount, similar to yourself.

All she had to do was log into MyAccount on Revenue Online and confirm she was part of the group. She hasn't worked in Ireland.

Hi,

Were your accounts connected to each other before that? As in for joint assessments?

Ours are not connected yet due to some issues from the revenue side. She tried changing her civil status to married and inputting my PPS number, but it is not getting reflected for some reason. Have logged inquiries with revenue to rectify that. Hope that will sort it out.

Thank you for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

We are jointly assessed in Revenue, yes. So that probably helps!

They are usually quick to solve issues if you call them.

That makes sense. I have made a request to be jointly assessed and called them too. They said it should be done in a few days.

Really appreciate your prompt response. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

Spotted on TheJournal.ie that HTB will be extended for two more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neveed

I am planning to buy a property this year but only can claim HTB of 2021 if I claim HTB this year. Now builder would like to sign contracts this year but it is unlikely we will be getting the house this year. Can we apply new application next year with 2022 tax as well to get more HTB even if contract is signed this year and 10% deposit also paid. There would still be a lot of gap between mortgage approval and 10% deposit that HTB can help with next year.

Next year at claim stage, if contract sign date is of few months old and 10% deposit already paid is mentioned in the form, HTB can still be granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Hi, Has anyone any experience of applying for the HTB scheme when buying a derelict property ?

"First-time buyers may purchase a site containing a house which is derelict and which they plan to demolish, in whole or in part, with the intention of building a new house"

What does demolish in part mean? ie can you demolish the rear wall and the roof to qualify as demolishing the house ?

Also, can you apply for the €50k refurbishment grant that was recently announced in conjunction with the HTB scheme potentially bringing the total grant to €80k?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 turpe

Have the same problem... have either application code / expiry date and the max amount OR application code / max amaunt and my name... but the broker said i need to have all on one, and that document doesnt exist (opr at least i cannot find it anywhere). Contacted revenue but not sure how long it's gonna take them to reply.

So I did actually figure out how to find it, it's under 'My Enquiries' in your account on Revenue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 turpe

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to wait for it / send a separate enquiry or did you get it at the same time as the other correspondence (in revenue record)? It's not there in my case (i'm self-eployed if that makes any difference). Got the other ones on the 29th, but still nothing in 'my enquiries' :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aisehi

Hi, I am applied for HTB like a week back and also included my wife's name in it but haven't heard anything from the revenue yet. I have also raised an enquiry but it also shows as pending. Can someone tell me how to find out where it is stuck or how to contact revenue "help to buy" department? I couldn't find any particular contacts for that.

I also checked one document for HTB - updated July 2022 which showed that you also get to see the "potential amount" I can get refunded but in my case, I didn't see any amount like such. So I am not sure if there's something I missed it.

Also, can someone guide me as how to raise tax clearance cert for HTB?

PS: I came to know on the weekend that I have some tax-due which I paid that time itself.

Any lead/info would be helpful. TIA.

I'm not sure to be honest, I had queried it with the bank when they asked me for it and they told me where to find the relevant info. There is a pdf online that has loads of FAQs around the HTB, maybe the answer could be there? Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm not self employed 😞

Not sure about two people applying because I did mine as a single application. But you won't see the amount you expect to receive until you have all of your tax affairs in order. There's some info on that here pertaining to the tax clearance cert: https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/manage-your-record/apply-for-tax-clearance-online-using-etc.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 selfbuilder22

They are not very quick at responding as people might have previously experienced with them,I lodged our application to see how much we would be eligible for about 3 weeks ago and got response in ‘my enquiries’ just this week advising amount we are eligible for. This however was after lodging 2 queries as it looked like the application was stuck as it didn’t change from ‘application membership confirmation’ or something to that effect on both our revenue accounts. My first query wasn’t replied to for a week until I chased for a response.

Thanks! But how to chase them? I don't see anyway other than putting updates on my enquiries.

Just got a reply from the HTB team few days back.

If someone need HTB on priority then they should raise an enquiry mentioning the same along with attaching the copy of AIP, contact details of the contractor, receipt of the amount paid for reserving the property(this one I sent, not sure if it made the difference).

And also just check the "statement of liability" for the years you are raising the request. If any of the years show "underpayment". Pay that before sending the enquiry!

Hope it helps!

This is probably such a stupid question but I'm just not sure how this works...

My HTB grant is going to expire at the end of December - I can't make the claim yet because 1. The contracts haven't come yet (new build) 2. The builder is still in the process of applying to be a registered HTB contractor as they have set up a new company for this development.

If it doesn't happen before December, I'll have to reapply for HTB. I got a new job in April with a €10K salary increase so I've been paying more tax than before at the higher rate. So if I reapply for HTB in Jan and it includes the 2022 tax year, does that mean the amount I will get increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neveed

I am planning to buy a property this year but only can claim HTB of 2021 if I claim HTB this year. Now builder would like to sign contracts this year but it is unlikely we will be getting the house this year. Can we apply new application next year with 2022 tax as well to get more HTB even if contract is signed this year and 10% deposit also paid. There would still be a lot of gap between mortgage approval and 10% deposit that HTB can help with next year.

Next year at claim stage, if contract sign date is of few months old and 10% deposit already paid is mentioned in the form, HTB can still be granted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Hi, if using HTB for first time purchase of a new build, I understand the builder gets the refund of lets say the 30k (maximum available).

Assuming a house is costing 500k, you get 30k off from HTB, so costing you 470k in total.

As the builder is getting the refund and it is not a case that you are paying 500k and waiting a few weeks to get a refund of 30k, I presume you would only need to organise a mortgage loan (taking into account any deposit etc.) to get you to 470k? Ignoring stamp duty for the moment.

Thanks

Advertisement