Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

They have waived the Activation Fee at the minute.

Got our "new" contract 500mb "installed" this morning. Router looks the exact same, was expecting a new black one.

Now we have that annoying call to VM to get the modem mode firmware update pushed to the new router.

All in all, a bit more hassle than just cancelling and signing up in another name but still worth it for the saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Can you pick the date to sign up? Or does it start immediately? Partner is going to give 30 day notice. But I want to avail of the present offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

what is present offer ? i am looking to switch as well !

• Advertisement

Basically an option on the settings page to put the router in modem mode and stop broadcasting the WiFi. We have a decent mesh system that handles that way better than the Hub 3.0 so want to connect that back up ASAP.

A bit annoying that it's not available by default actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Spoke to a militant sales agent, not a pleasant experience! 6 @52, 6@104 best they would do so cancelled. Anyone have any better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

We tried to get a deal too but no luck. Currently paying 76pm for 500mb. With Virgin for 9years and.... so far they would aleays do some deal 6 or 9 moths...now they are saying the best they can do is a 5ver less for the whole year lol.

The plan is to cancel and take it my name 1gbit.

Our contract is out in 30 days so sending that cancelation enail today/tomorrow.

But this offer (no opening fee and quite low prices) thats on currently is finishing in 5 days or so.

So if I sign up now, can we have 2 accounts running for 1 month at the same address....,is that even possibles does anyone know?

I'm in the same boat with overlapping contracts...helpful to know if possible

• Advertisement

Stayed with vodafone who offered €20 pm

Is the modem made out of twigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

what plan is this for? 500mbs or 1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Rang today, have been on 250mb out of contract for a while, paying 63€ for it (only broadband).

Best he said he could so was 45€ for 6 months and 60€ for the rest of the 6 months for 250mb, and then he offered 55€ a month for 500mb.

I told him I previously got 9 months half price (which is true) but he said he couldn't do anything about it. I then asked what if someone else in my house e.g my spouse or brother signed up for new account, and he said I 'might get blocked ' because we have the same surname?, which is a load of bollocks I know, but that's what he said.

So I ending up not doing anything and still on 63€ a month-out of contract so I can cancel any time without fees for breaking the contract

Did you get shouted down at every turn by the sales person?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Basically, he didn't really entertain any other options like 6 or 9 months half price etc just offered the 45€ for 6 months, which is more than half of my current price so I wasn't happy with it since I know others got 9 months half price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If you're out of contract just sign up as a new customer online and get 500 for €40,when it's up and running cancel the 250 by phone asking for an immediate cancellation as you're already sorted with another provider... Don't tell them it's them obviously ☺️☺️

signed to Vodafone SIRO for 35 pm for 500mb for 9 months and i think 60 pm after

now its never hit 500mb but its not bad at all

virgin came back way too late with an offer and their offers weren't great anyway

do you know by any chance if the billing period or activation of service happens once you order the thing or once you plug in yur new equipment and start using it?

We just canceled the service in my partners name and I am planning to start one in mine, so just wondering when is the best time to order/start the new one.

and would potentially want to avail of current offers, price and no fee for new customer, available for 2 more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Did they call you back ? Im the same boat. Think I'll just try out a new provider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

No call back. Judging by the thread doesn't look like any good offers so I'm not going to try. Will get the missus to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi.

Can I use the same bank account if I sign up in the wifes name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The best way to go about these calls is to just go straight in.

I don't let them get a word in.

Just say I'm paying 63 for broadband and it's too expensive, you're giving people 9 and 6 months half price so I want the same. Mention reddit and boards.ie as proof if they say they aren't. When they start talking crap about fivers off just cut them off and say I need 9 or 6 months half price.

Tell them you do this **** every year so lets not waste time as you know I can get it cheaper by moving so I'll take take 9 or 6 months half price.

9 or 6 months seems to be the best you'll get, start at 9 and then 6 obviously.

Don't just say I'm looking for a deal and see what they offer. Push from the second they answer and never let them take control of the call. When they are being cut off from speaking and being pushed for the 9 months they get fed up very quick and cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

The current offer for new customers of 1/2 price sky sports for 6 months and then full price after that....can the sky sports be cancelled at any stage with a month's notice does anyone know?

My partner sent the cancelation email yesterday. got the email from VM a few hours after that, with numbers to ring ... talk about what can be done/why is he leaving....

Rang that number today, had a chat with VM...

He gets really friendly with them on the phone.

VM offered him 6m for 65 or so, for 1gb (we are on 500 now and our contract was until 1/11), he said no better offer available out there ...then they offered 43 for 9m and 83 for 3m, which is on par with current 50 per month for new custs.

Just to say they offered almost nothing when he rand the numbers from their website initially before cancelling.

And they already upped our speed this evening, with new equipment coming in a few days (not sure why though).

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Annoying they’ve pulled the €75 gift voucher for now. Sale extended also.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

anyone have knowledge abt returning equipment after cancelation -got a txt the other day do they send out a box for it or what

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They do in their hole. Left to the customer to get it back to them. Think it was picked up by courier or dropped to parcel dropoff, can't really remember. Previous year I just brought it to electronic recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Equipment Collection:

To arrange collection of the equipment you will receive a call from us in the next 30 days. However if you prefer you can out contact our collector directly at vmequipmentcollections@actavo.com

That was in my cancellation email from VM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭EarWig

Making customers call, making customers wait ages while playing annoying music, saying no then calling back later to say yes. Obnoxious staff, billing mistakes on changing contracts. Game playing on actual cancellation date like switching it to the follow up call.

A clear strategy to raise the costs of switching so that many will be deterred.

The legal team don't seem to know the half of it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/10/10/virgin-media-is-breaching-customer-cancellation-regulations-regulator-claims/

Advertisement