Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Not really off no, the Mk7 is hard on rear brakes due to the traction control/ESP engaging the rear brakes when slip is detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've gone to the dark side. As much as I would have loved a GTI the prices are just mental these days, at €65k+ it's just way out of budget and second hand stuff is also pricey, this car will be long term so the newer the better and this fit the bill.

It will be interesting to see where EVs go, the power delivery is impressive and I don't notice the weight when driving around unless pushing it in the corners. The Cupra Born is everything the ID.3 should have been. If the boost model was 250hp full time rather than 231hp for 30 seconds it probably could be in the same short list for someone buying a hot hatch.

Now someone go spend €80k on a Golf R to make this thread interesting again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well wear Davy, I really like those. Very funky looking thing. I agree, they’re nicer than the ID3.

They’re not cheap either though are they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Love it Davey!

Low 40s to low 50s depending on battery & spec.

• Advertisement

They started at €38k and mine was €40k with upgraded wheels and seats although the price recently went up for new orders like everything else of course. When I ordered it was around a grand more expensive than a 130hp 1.5 DSG Golf so not too bad for the jump to full electric and a fair bit cheaper than the Golf eHybrid and GTE since the plug in hybrid grant was removed.

I think it's still early days for EVs but at least now there's a few more nice options, the facelift ID.3 is coming next year with a GTX model so I'm curious to see that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Hi all,

Was considering heading to Beshoffs to look at this Golf R which has been there a while: https://www.beshoffmotors.ie/vehicle?id=RZQv

I am no expert on Golfs however always had an itch for one since I was younger, been driving BMWs mostly so would be looking to replace my wife's 2008 coupe with this, not trading in however, will sell hers separately.

Would appreciate your thoughts on spec and price, & what would be a good deal?

My mechanic friend said it will need tracker installed ASAP (which was not encouraging, are they stolen regularly?), and also insurance may have a loading applied.

Appreciate any thoughts / perspectives. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

He's wrong abouy the insurance anyway. They are actually very cheap to insure. I've never paid over €450 but I live in a rural area, maybe in Dublin they are harder insure. A lot of guys install Ghost immobilisers if you are worried about security.

Price wise it's about average for the year from a dealer with a warranty. They have held their value very well especially since the MK8s are now so expensive to buy and UK is closed unless you pay VAT & duties.

@DaveyDave love the Cupra born. You made a good choice there. Best of luck with it.

Nonsense comment about the insurance, as Hooch said.

Trackers, etc, not something I’m convinced about. Focus on your home security and parking instead.

If you live rurally with your own secured driveway or even better, a secure garage, then I wouldn’t worry. However if you live in an estate, car parked up very visibly outside your house etc, then I’d think carefully before purchasing it at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This might be a little bit better value for money?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-dsg-automatic/32187549

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks a very nice and tidy car. Other than the security concerns of owning such a car, I'd be worried about someone putting "Delinte" brand tyres on a 300bhp car, hopefully it was the dealer when they took it in and not a previous owner with a death wish. I'd be budgeting for putting proper tyres on a powerful car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What about this one?

https://www.carsireland.ie/3165297

any concerns with it being an import?

Thanks for all the inputs, went and had a look yesterday and bought it. 😊

Happy days!

Is there a free VW vin decoder available anywhere? Trying some initial results from Google but they all seem to require some form of payment at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Yeah definitely change the tyres. It will improve every driving aspect of the car by a huge margin.

Was just thinking that I had a clubsport ordered over two years ago now that never happened because of delays, price increases and messing from the dealer. Ended up getting a Tesla model 3 once I found out the price is locked in when ordering and they deliver much quicker. Really happy with it but I would have loved to have the GTI for two or so years.

Seems like a nice, very well spec'd GTI. Looks well in the pics, love the Atlantic blue. Marginally overpriced maybe?

Odd spec on it. Base spec rear tail lights, PP badges but no PP brakes. Possibly an Australian import.

Yeah I noticed the lack of PP brakes alright, but not the rear lights

Could be a Japanese/Hong Kong import, some of them and Golf Rs being imported nowadays.

Original GTi lights could have been swapped out and sold seperately as they would probably fetch decent money especially on the Asian markets. I presume the GTi and regular Golf 7.5 lights would be interchangeable, just plug and play?

• Advertisement

No, definitely not plug and play. The LED’s would require different harnesses and the 7.5 had the sweepy indicators which requires different wiring into the boot lid. Then it all would require coding. All doable but a ball ache.

yeah it’s possible that it’s a Jap import too.

Mk8 Golf R van, 59k plus VAT:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3222486

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Considering it will be a useless van I'm guessing this is someone who wants one and is bending the rules as a company vehicle? Because it doesn't look like you gain much space by removing the seats and the length of the cargo isn't a strong point in a hatchback.

Golf derived vans were very popular but they stopped selling them when the Mk7.5 finished production. Handy for light work and being basically a car without rear seats made them more comfortable and refined than a Caddy. Anyway realistically I'd doubt a Golf R derieved van would be bought for actual van type work, more targeted for a self employed person or company owner who can take advantage of the business tax benefits and reliefs. I thought Revenue were clamping down on rules around these type commerical conversations but there are a few Tiguan R and Touareg R vans around too.

I remember being shocked at 70k...then 80k...

Assuming there isn't any sort of markup that car must have everything including the performance pack/drift mode, and without knowing the spec it either has the Akrapovic exhaust or the really expensive carbon effect leather. At what point do you just buy something else?

Completely different car but that money would get you a nice spec BMW i4 M50. 550hp AWD, 0-60 in 3.9s.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

It has both the exhaust and the leather... and the drift mode. Not too hard to find online tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

This is why this thread is almost dead now. I could just about manage a Golf R at 50K but the prices now are just insane. I honestly think these type of prices are going to kill the hot hatch market. The fact that the interior is a big step back in quality makes it even worse.

I’d happily have another Golf R mk7/7.5 or a nice GTI but have almost no interest in a Mk8.

Funnily enough I’ve been noticing a lovely M135i most mornings on the school run and considering i really didn’t like the look of them at first, they are really growing on me!

Advertisement