Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

If it's parents though, they could give you 3k each and if you're buying with a partner, they could each give 3k to your partner too. So 12k not too difficult to account for.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Well, after starting my on-again-off-again house hunt way back in Feb 2020, just went sale agreed on a house. For more than I ever expected I'd spend, in an area that wouldn't have been on my list originally, and that needs more work than I would have planned to sign up for... But it's somewhere I could imagine living for the rest of my days, so there's that, and at least got it for a bit under the asking price, so have hopefully caught at least some of whatever dip is happening / will happen.

Cue the long-awaited property crash in 3... 2... 1...

€24k tax free if you do that while straddling a tax year end. That’s how my sister and her husband the support they needed to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You will need a deed of confirmation and a letter from the solicitor stating that the funds and deed were received by them. We had to specify the amount also. It's better just to get the cash into your account to be honest and send it on to the solicitor yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Hi guys. Looking for a bit of advise.

We have just gone sale agreed on our first property and since then we have visited the house for a further inspection by ourselves and noticed a few issues.

The house went approx 14k over asking.

My question is should I be getting the vendor to fix these issues or is this at my expense?

1. Broken tap in ensuite - cold water tap is jammed and does not turn

2. Shower doesnt turn on at all. Bearing in mind there is only 1 shower in the house

3. Approx 6/7 loose hanging wires around the house. Should I ask the vendor to get an electrician to identify what each cable is for and if any are live? The estate agent just says they were supposed to be for an alarm system that that vendor never installed but that isn't really good enough in my opinion.

4. From engineer report they found a loose hanging live wire in the kitchen. Again should the vendor remedy this or do we?

5. From the engineers report the gutters are jammed and need to be cleared. Again should the vendor remedy this out do we?

Thanks for any replies. Some advise would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burti16

I'd expect vendor to fix these issues before transferring the property. Any potential buyer will identify the same problems and will want the same thing. Don't afraid to ask your concerns. It's still sellers maeket but buyers also have a lot of bargaining power as opposed to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

If I was a seller, I wouldn't be planning on resolving issues after the house went sale agreed.

I have wires hanging from my windows where we didn't reconnect the alarm after getting new windows. Do you think the estate agent is fibbing about that?

The gutters are something that need cleaning on a regular basis, like a drain full of leaves, wouldn't be seeing that as an "unexpected" expense.

New taps are only a few euro.

The shower, I think you should have been told that it doesn't work. And I would ask for the live wire to be sorted cos that's dangerous. We asked for a back wall to be rebuilt before we closed on a house before because you could make it 'sway' by pushing it, and we were moving in with small kids.

Now if I was selling I'd probably have sorted all those issues myself, but before I put it on the market. After the fact, I think you get what you buy.

Shower and wire, yes, I'd raise these as issues, the rest, no. Unless you have reason to believe the wires are not from an alarm system.

Buying certainly ain't easy. Almost at a full year from advertised expected occupancy. Irish Water came in to the development in April and we have been waiting since.

We thought they had finished as we finally got to snag recently. But they are still delaying. Builders trying to get us to sign off on snag but we are going to wait for the water to be connected, otherwise we are leaving ourselves open to paying mortgage alongside rent.

Also searching for our third rental this year, and the airbnb we booked was a scam. Luckily we got our money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Hi all,

I hope you are keeping well.

We are going into the valuation stage of the process. Does the lender give us an approved list or do we have to source one ourselves? Is anybody else going through Finance Ireland just now? How are you all finding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Finance Ireland will appoint a valuer.

They are very frustrating to deal with in my experience to date. Zero communication or sense of urgency about anything so be patient.

Hope it all works out for you.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply. We have been told of long waiting times. We are going for a back up option too - just in case 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭TheRona

Finance Ireland have their own valuers, and in my case, they apparently just did a drive-by of the house. They didn't request access anyway.

I found that using a broker who had a relationship with Finance Ireland helped, he was very good at keeping us in the loop with what was going on. They did drag things out, though.

Thank you, that's good to know. Our broker has already earned her money chasing them up. So grateful for her. Don't know I'd be able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Question for people in the know,

Our house plans have recessed doors that go into the walls on the plans sent with our contracts.

Signed and all, does the builder have to provide them since they are in the contracted plans or can they try and get out of doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭theboringfox

They either included them in the costings or didnt. If not in the agreed costings then no. If in agreed costings then your QS should raise it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Any feedback , about to request ourselves.. everything is in place and approved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Sale of our old house closed on Friday last. Our solicitor put in an early request for the drawdown. Expecting to close today or tomorrow. So not too bad. That's AIB.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Currently selling a property to a FTB, once survey is done can anyone give rough guidelines on how long things should be after that? know its likely how long is a piece of string! thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Answer depends on what your plans are. The length of the chain is a determining factor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm not in a chain, just landlord selling up. Buyer is first time buyer, valuation done, survey this week, really hoping it won't be too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

I’m in same position as yourself, 17th June sale agreed, 14th July survey, back and forth between solicitors for a few more weeks then buyer waiting on official loan approval from lender on 6th September and no news yet. Apparently banks are backlogged due to people switching to fixed rates. It’s a total pain, can’t wait to sell and make my life simpler.

Thanks TheStart, good to know there are delays, pain in the hoop as afraid if too many rate rises they'll pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

I worry about the rates too but when I look at the rents it will take an awful lot of increases to make it better to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

A month later we are happily living here but the seller still hasn’t got her PPS number so the deal hasn’t been finalised.

at first we thought we’d best hold off any changes or repairs but after a month… we’re staying… I’ve unpacked and sorted stuff. Assembled the new flat pack… no way they are making me move.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Anyone else have experience being a FTB buying a new build? Mortgage loan offer sent but development won't be completed until closer to Summer 2023 (originally said it would be March 2023 so I was thinking that having the approval would be fine now).

No contracts have been sent over yet and I'm guessing they won't for a while as they've only just started building (think this was meant to happen sooner). The bank has been on to me asking why I haven't proceeded with the application, i.e. completing the direct debit mandate, sorting out mortgage protection, valuation, etc. but sure I can't even do the valuation until it's built. Is there any point in me doing anything at all before contracts come? I know I'm going to have to go through the mortgage approval process all over again in 6/7 months' time.

I can empathise with the waiting times and not knowing how long it will take.

We are FTB and Sale Agreed. We are not in a chain and are racing against a notice of termination from the landlord of our rental. We have everything in place but the lenders are soooooo slow! We keep checking in with our broker and have asked if we can do things to prepare whilst waiting on loan offer. We even applied to another lender to see who was faster. Just cannot wait to be able to move into our home 🤞🤞 We keep visiting the advert to make sure it is still sale agreed 😃

Edited to add - the rate increases don't bother us as it is either buying a house or homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I just jumped in at the end of the thread so apologies if this question has been asked before.

How much work should a seller do or what standard of finish should a house be to sell? 1970s end of terrace, looking quite tired and in need of full redecorating including flooring. Was speaking to a valuer on the phone who said not to do anything. That buyers want to do their own thing.

Would also need a new kitchen and appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Printingthoughts

I'm looking for some insight or advise and hoping someone here might know. 

We've had a bit of a whirlwind house purchasing journey. We've gone from a month ago not even considering buying (our plan has long been to self build) to getting AIP, finding a house, making an offer (under the asking price), having said offer accepted, getting a solicitor to yesterday having our mortgage advisor in the bank saying they're requesting the Letter of Offer be issued. I'll be honest, I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop and I know there may yet be issues with the contract or title deed but I just wondered how frequently can a request for a Letter of Offer be declined? I mean I'm sure there'll be a credit check or whatever but would a bank usually go with a mortgage advisors request or is there still a reasonable chance our mortgage might still be rejected? I feel like I've dived into this purchasing a house thing and everything has progressed far, far faster than I've anticipated. I've heard nightmare stories of these processes from other and despite things appearing to progress well I'm trying to keep my expectations/hopes reasonable... 

I hear ya re whirlwind. We bid on a house expecting it to take weeks of a bidding war (like what others have experienced here) but it was accepted on the same day. We are also waiting on loan offer.

From what I gather is the loan offer may not be given if the house is not worth the money (found through the valuation) or if there is something amiss from the vendor's side such as planning issues etc. They may also ask for recent statements to check if nothing has changed since AIP was issued and if you can still afford the payments.

Fingers crossed everything goes well for you (and me 😄)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

I'd love a good whirlwind... have been sale agreed for 10 weeks now and still no formal loan offer from Finance Ireland :-/

Advertisement