Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

so we went sale agreed on a house that we loved 4 weeks ago. Sent in a few more documents to ptsb that they asked for but haven’t heard anything more on it since. We had organized valuation, structural survey along with life assurance for mortgage etc but does anyone have any idea of how long it takes to receive official loan offer?

contacts will be issued shortly and just getting a bit nervous that we haven’t received official loan offer yet.

I have almost a full excuse sticker book now. Snagging postponed as the cleaners were delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

We are in… caretakers agreement until they sort out their mess. So no rent and the cash for the sale sits in a trust account until it’s all sorted.

didn’t really think it was going to happen, the EA was being a prat saying we’d just have to wait and it was nothing to do with him. I suggested « politely » that we’d have to move into a hotel and his clients would foot the bill as it was over a month past the date of closing. Our solicitor said pretty much the same to their solicitor and the fear of a massive bill seemed to have done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

We got our update that the ESB meters should be in by early September and we're being let snag from next Wednesday.

Downside is we were not expecting anything anytime soon and our loan offer is due to expire at end of September. So panic stations across the board now trying to get everything sorted with our broker and solicitor. Hoping to be in by end of September but applying for loan extension just in case.

We've been so up and down throughout this whole process. 2 months of non stop work followed by 4 months of nothing, followed by 3 months of contracts and loan offer followed by 3 months of nothing.

Not sure what to make of things now, but we're hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Fantastic news. Hopefully the caretaker agreement won't be in place too long. At least you are in, huge progress. You have been through the ringer on this. Is the house habitable?

• Advertisement

Stay positive. Things can change for the better out of nowhere. See my post from earlier this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

Oh yeah, it’s perfect, no issues. We’ve to sort out the utilities now but that’s all.

Slight update, mortgage loan offer letter came through in post this morning. So just 4 weeks in total we waited.

now onto the next stage of getting contracts sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Did you have an email notification first of a loan offer and then you got it in the post? Or was this physical letter the first you've heard of being approved for the loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭CR 7

What is normal in terms of getting contractors in prior to getting the keys for a new build. We have been told that bar their preferred kitchen supplier we won't be able to have any contractor in. This would mean we can't have tiling done even with their own kitchen supplier, which negates the main benefit of using them. They won't have any trades on site to fit our tiles etc either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 afoley91

Just wondering what is the norm when you are buying and selling at the same time, we have used all our savings for booking deposit and rest of deposit is coming from equity from our current house which will be over 26% in total.., we presumed we could use our exchange deposit from the sale as our exchange deposit on our new property but have been informed by our solicitor that this is not legally allowed.. What do people normally do? Our solicitor said the norm is to exchange and contract within our day but some vendors will not accept this?

I emailed our person in ptsb asking for an update and he said it was approved and letter would follow. I understood from him that we wouldn’t have been informed by email beforehand and only was because I asked.

We are in the same position and have to borrow the money from friends and family to make up 10% for contract signing. We used most of our savings on booking deposit, survey etc

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Ah OK, that's interesting. I wonder if AIB is the same. Congratulations, best of luck with the new place! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 18 89char9

Hi, just looking for advice.

I went sale agreed in mid May. I still haven't got contracts yet from vendor. I'm getting so worried and my solicitor has been chasing them. I'm worried they want to relist it for more money. I've paid for engineers report and surveyors report. Plus I love the house. How long do I wait? Is there anything I can do?

We had a very long wait for contracts as well. Probably nothing to worry about. Owner's solicitor is probably waiting to get some legal documents from the seller.

It is a legal contract and the solicitor needs to be certain that whatever is in the contract is legally enforceable. LPT checks, land registry, planning permission etc.

Talk to your own solicitor again and explain your concerns. It's their job to address them for you.

I'm sure it's grand. Everything to do with buying a house just takes forever.

A quick question:

I am selling my house and got Sale Agreed within 3 weeks. I now have a list of documents I need to supply to my Solicitor, most of which I have in order i.e. Tax clearance for property tax, PPS No. etc. The only thing I am unsure of is the NPPR certificate. If I am the owner and have never rented this house why do I need to get an NPPR certificate (non principal private residence sounds like a house that is not a principal residence, mine is my only house). How do I go about this, is it my local authority and if so, what section is it ? Thanks.

We needed an NPPR exemption certificate to prove it was our residence during 2011-2013 to avoid paying associated charges. We basically contacted local county council and provided one document from each year to prove that we lived there. Can be electricity bill/ insurance etc. once we submitted correct documents we had the certificate within 1 working day. Very efficient service.

thanks! What "associated charges" do you mean? Why do you need to prove a house is your only residence, most people aren't landlords .

I wouldn't have utility bills for the years i lived here 2014 - 2022, at least it will be hard as I change service providers every single year for Gas and Electricity . I never get bills in the post for anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Get your Solicitor to request your local Council for the Certificate.

Have you been paying LPT on it from 2014-2022?

On the registrar of electors?

It is usually straight forward enough to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

This is just another way to screw you. You have to apply to your local council/authority for a certificate, that states "NO RELIANCE MAY BE PLACED ON THIS CERTIFICATE IN RELATION TO THE LIABILITY........etc" and if you get your solicitor to do it he charges. Just more of spreading the jam around and letting my friends get more money out of you.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

That's probably even better...you may have all the bills in your email going all the way back.

There is no need for all this. Only causing the OP to worry. This is no big deal. No need for any bills. It is just a declaration.

Once LPT is paid up to date. Even if not, you can pay it now, presumably with a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 89char9

Thank you, that makes me feel better. People I've spoken to about it say that something must be wrong. It's got me worried. Please God I get them this week 🙏

Thanks. My Solicitor has a note on her letter to me that if works needs to be done regarding NPPR certification or LPT there is an extra charge of €450. Yes I am fully paid up with LPT and have my Tax clearance cert from Revenue. Initially when I bought this house it was on PrePay meters for both Electricity and Gas and I left it on them for 5 years (thinking it was handy, until I did the sums!) then I changed but cant remember the providers as I changed every year. I will look back at my bank statements. However ringing those companies is a pain in the ass now as they say they cannot find your account if it is closed! Its hassle I don't need as this is my only house and I only ever had ONE house! Mad you have to prove that in this way.

Would Property Tax cert be ok? Or TV Licence? Or bank statement? All those are consistent. But utilities is a bit of a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Installation after hand over is the norm unfortunately unless the builders include tiling or flooring as part of the pc sums. We couldn't get our counter tops installed at the same time as the kitchen unless we used the kitchen company's preferred supplier who wanted over 50% more for the same stone as the company we used after handover. It all worked out in the finish though it was a bit hairy rescheduling all the tradesmen due to the mortgage company making a mess of the drawdown (they put the wrong date on the document but made me resubmit everything due to their mistake!) but we got there.

On the form we got from county council it said there would have been charges due if it wasn’t our principle private residence during the years 2009-2013. I don’t know specific amounts. On the second page of the letter it’s said evidence required could be utility bill addressed to us for the years in question. Along with property folio we got from solicitor.

our electricity company electric Ireland couldn’t give us a bill from each year due to the fact we changed suppliers in 2015 and they destroyed the records. It was such a headache but luckily we did have bills in storage that we could use. I know this isn’t the case for everyone. Can be anything that proves your address as far as I know.

Thanks. It seems crazy that people should have to jump through such hoops just to prove you live in your actual house. Especially when its going back so far. I have luckily just got statements from PrePay Power (surprisingly helpful) from 2016-2020 when I changed, but have nothing for 2015. I was on Prepay meters for both Gas and Electricity then, just topping up the meters with the cards the previous owners had left. Nothing had been transferred into my name as the previous owners had just left the keys in the door of the house and fled to the UK after job losses and big debts. I didn't know their account numbers or names to close accounts and transfer to me so just topped the cards to keep the electricity and gas paid.

I might be in trouble getting proof of address by utility bills for 2015. I hope a bank statement, TV licence or Property Tax receipt might be enough.

As I posted above yesterday there is a bit of unnecessary panic here. It is a declaration you are signing to say it was your primary residence. Not proof. Clarify this with your solicitor before going to all this trouble.

We didn't need anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

Finally getting my keys today. Thanks for all the advice and tips on this.

Advertisement