Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Neither seems to take into account transmission loss there. There is no way of telling what your usable battery is by deriving from the above - it's literally impossible.

A battery diagnostic tool is required. I knew something was off because on a full days driving my used energy was maxing out at 51kWh.

There is a hard coded buffer built into the LFP battery of about 2.5~3kWh. This can never be accessed by the vehicle. So the absolute max usable capacity will be 57.5kWh. So the max that 100% to 0% can possible be is 57.5kWh in these packs. But that assumes a zero buffer which again is not happening.

The buffer in any earlier 2022 RWD's was about 2.5kWh meaning usable battery was about 55kWh.

However many of the RWD's that landed in september 2022 have a buffer of 5.5~6kWh which reduces the usable battery to max 52kWh.

People on here don't seem to believe that for some reason and good luck to them. If you have received a September car with a lower buffer then well done, you got the car as advertised.

For anyone with the massive 6kWh buffer then you were kind of screwed..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I can understand where you're coming from and hope you get to the bottom of it. I would be interested to see the end result. If you bought with an expectation of 55kWh and you're only getting 50kWh as an example, then that's a decent chunk of change. For me personally, I saw the car advertised at ~500km but expected 350-400 winter/summer ranges. I did expect a bit more available range than I'm seeing right now I have to say and I am coming from a 24kWh Leaf. Having the bigger buffer will mean the available range will stay consistent for longer and for me, the range is more than enough, so I am content.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

What diagnostic equipment were you using to get the output figure of 51kwh?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Tesla technician dialed into the battery after I queried the anomaly

He confirmed this I.E usable battery was circa 52kWh

Alternatively u can use the scan my tesla app yourself but you need a piece or hardware to plug into the car and connect via Bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

So it was the cars system saying this since thats the only thing the Tesla guy can see. Interesting the difference in that and the amount they are telling us is being put in on the app. Especially since someone said what was taken in matched what their charger said. I know there is always loss but that seems like a big one.

what sort of kWh is your car taking in and at what % to get to 100%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

The fact that a Tesla technician confirmed your suspicions which matches your calculations is not good. It’s a significant difference to what is advertised by Tesla. I hope it’s just a calibration issue in the software for new cars that will reduce the buffer over time once new vehicle has been fully calibrated but this is just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone here trying to flip their car straight after collecting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Went up last week.

Seller claims pics aren’t great as his sister took them. In the reflection you can see a man taking the pics.

Just trying to cash in basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Done my first big drive today. Went from 100% and used 34kWh, leaving 33% left. Back of the envelope calculation gives useable battery of 52kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Well you simply cannot get the same wltp from 52kwh as from 55kwh so Tesla could end up being fined or having to compensate owners if this comes to pass as true for all newer cars.

I have a car on order and I would not be happy with a reduced distance. Even 3kwh divided by 150wh per km would equate to 20 kms less. Or 4% of 491km. Would Tesla pay that back - unlikely. I'm going to go with they have done something hopefully temporarily. If not it will come to the boil sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭JOL1

i feel sure that Tesla will have quoted correct WLTP. It is usual that a certain % of battery energy is kept in reserve (common with all EV's), however that just means that when battery is depleted to this buffer level the car registers as 0% (0 km's) but the battery still has available power that can be accessed and used to drive/increase range. It seems a prudent measure adopted by Tesla in their BMS to discourage drivers from overly relying on this with attendant consequences, risk, dangers and long term maximising battery health.

For anyone who is interested I am attaching a link from a well regarded expert who has tested and demonstrated this with an LFP Tesla battery with real time "Scan my Tesla" side by side which shows the buffer. The objective was to drive to 0% and 0 kms but to keep driving until the car eventually stopped. When the car registers 0% you will see that he was able to drive another 33.7 km's Clearly this is not recommended but does (for me anyway) clarify the need for a buffer and why it is incorporated. We all can have views as to the size of this buffer but I think it may help with understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just wondering where you got that 34kWh used from? From amount recorded on car/charger to fill back up to 100%, or from the trip recorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

My car is a March 2022 RWD with the nominal 60kWh LFP battery. On most cars I can obtain WLTP range with a little care, ie drive like a granny with no heat/aircon ☺️ but it appears to be easier on the Tesla than other EVs we have had. Last week did about 1K in UK, some fast some slow, rarely saw less than 4kms/% sometimes 5kms/%.

Basically what I am saying is I don't really care what the usable battery is, the range is great.. (Provided the usable battery hasn't been changed.)

The buffer in the id3 82 Kwh is around 9 Kwh.........

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I got the suitcases down from the attic yesterday to see what would and wouldn't fit in the boot of the model 3. I was very impressed.

My last car had a cavernous boot and we were spoiled for luggage room when going away.

Anyway, the boot of the Model 3 took : 2 x large (check-in) suitcases and 3 x small suitcases (carry-on). One of the 3 smaller cases fit very easily in the storage area under the 'floor' of the boot.

This saves me the hassle of needing to buy a set of roof bard for a roofbox which is great.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

First big spin yesterday. From Dublin to Galway and back.

Car is lovely on the road and love the cruise control.

Autopilot was very jittery on the m4, especially any time we came near a turn off,it would start to steer for the middle point of the off ramp and the current lane then pull back to the current lane.

Admittedly the lines on the road need new paint in places but is this others experience of AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No. The radarless tesla vision is worse than even AP1 that was in my old S

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Of course - I didn't use this as I was keeping it for cables, first aid and puncture repair kit etc.... but yes, this would also home a decent sized rucksack if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

I do that trip at least once a week and find AP is great (2021 refresh SR+ model). The only problems I have on that trip that you mention is when passing through Althone as there are some poor line markings in the off-ramps. AP will improve the more you drive. Still running 2022.20.8 update at the moment.

Post edited by wassie on

• Advertisement

"AP will improve the more you drive". I feel that AP2 got worse during my time with Slughorn (my old model X).

AP3 now in Lady Grey (2022 m3 RWD) is still less good than AP1/Highway Autopilot was in Severus. Removing radar was a huge step back. I feel that AP3 in a loaner raven S I had in 2020 was better than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Have used very little AP since i got my car, only ever used it to see what its like, i find traffic is too heavy to get the best out of it, have to overtake too often(if i had the auto lane change it would be better, but not paying for that)

I find the distance gap of the adaptive cruise control varies alot, sometimes it slows well before you catch the car ahead, and other times it closes right up(even with the same distance setting) its become a lottery as to when you have to pull out before you start slowing down, i feel you have to be in the overtaking lane an age to overtake something thats 3-4kmph slower than you.

Also the new follow gap being limited to 2 instead of 1 is way too far away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Over the weekend I was driving at night for the first time since M3 March purchase. It's night and day between AP1 that I previously had for two years and current APX.

On country roads with no lines the car was imagining a centre line and pulling me in and out towards the ditch/centre line, slowing unbelievably at bends and at crest of hills just braking. AP1 was flawless in this regard.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Agree with all the above. New "tesla vision" is blind. Or at least has some serious cataracts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Also, in the EU 'Auto Lane Change' doesn't really exist like it does in the US.

I bought an ex demo model with FSD and auto lane change consist of you indicate you want to change lane, you nudge the steering wheel in the direction of the lane you want to move to, keep a loose hand on the wheel and if it doesn't complete the move in a set time frame the car has a canary and swerves back into the original lane.

(I'm only slightly exaggerating for comedic effect)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

with AP1 auto lane change was just indicate, and it was flawless (I only ever used it on motorways), that was 8 years ago technology (from Volvo)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Descided to give AP a decent go this evening on the way home. 40km on the motorway. Drove at 110kmph so I wouldn’t need to overtake as much.

it worked very well. Only disengaged once as I probably too firm with the wheel to say I was still there. Can definitely see the benefit on a long boring journey.

on a side note. I am finding the phone charge pad hit and miss. It seems to only work sometimes.

I have a iPhone 12 mini so it’s smaller that most phones these days. I am wondering it’s too small. I tried holding up further on the pad to see if it would kick in but no joy. Might remove the case and try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Have tried a few phones of different sizes from an 8 which is nearly identical size wise to the mini up to a pro max (all iPhones) with no issues, one thing to watch out for is optimised charging, if you are at 80% it may not charge you can turn it off in battery settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Well this popped up on the screen this morning and SWMBO the copilot nearly had an aneurism, have the car a little over a week and she doesn’t trust it yet

Tonight it shows 15% / 64KM going to charge to 100% overnight so will update how much energy it takes on board from the car and the Zappi

Advertisement