Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

@mc2022B2TF Here are a few pics from a 200km journey taken today. RWD Model 3 picked up earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

So 27kwh at 50% which seems about right with probably the HVAC using 1-2kwh for a journey that length so you are looking at about 56-58kwh usable…

It's still hard to tell... while at 50%, it changed from 26kwh to 27kwh, which is why I added both pics at 50%. I was not using lights or A/C. I was listening to Spotify and had the driver's heated seat on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Both of those use the 12v with minimal draw from the HV.

Had you got the air fans off completely?

Could the new processor in the infotainment system be running 1-2kwh then for that journey?

Tesla did say that this new chip would use additional energy so maybe this is what we are seeing…

• Advertisement

Fan was running on low speed - I think it was set to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

@Eireann81

Astonishing pics. I've never ever at any stage been able to extrapolate past 52kWh

Yet you are showing at your 75% a minimum of 56kWh

The plot thickens as the multiple pics you have shown clearly indicate a usable battery of at least 56kwh but more than likely of 57+

Thank you so much for posting these. I'll be opening another query with tesla and demanding some proper answers on this.

I will keep you all updated for those interested!

At 66% u had used 19kWh representing 57kWh.

Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

OK, attached is where I am at after 181kms. I will do the final one this evening when I get home - I should have ~250kms up by then and I estimate a level of battery at ~33%.

My lights would have been on for the 2 morning trips, heated seat and steering wheel for a part of the morning trip. A/C off but fan on speed 3. Also, when I got into the car this morning it was not cold so I suspect that the heating came on this morning even though I did not have a departure set on the Tesla App?? Car dropped between 1% overnight.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Anyone know what the cost of supercharging is now post increase? Haven't been to a station since receiving the mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

car dropped between 1% overnight.

That's why you need to have a continuous drive when taking the measurement. That 1% which can be anything from .5%- 1.4% it is going to screw your results as it is not accounted on the display.

Somewhere on this thread I posted a screenshot of scan my Tesla app Totals. I'll try to find it. There are 2 figures which are not accounted on the trip meters. Recuperated energy which for me stands at around 32% of the total and stationary energy which is used while of course not moving. One can say that recoup is there because of the average consumption but it would be nice to see it separately nevertheless. The energy use while parked is substantial for me as I use sentry most of the time, I wait for the kids which don't know what punctuality is or I prefer to stay in the car instead of crowd the likes of Kildare village, I make hours long zoom calls from the car with AC blasting. Even after you park the car, the car itself will keep running some components to cool down the battery in a controlled manner. All these are not on the display as they are not part of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

What was the cost? I've been considering getting paint protection as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

High 63c/kWh

2 days ago at Sandyford. Started with 235kW and left when dropped below 140kW. Left after 7 minutes, average charging power 163kW

Thank you.

Unfortunately those stats are going to be difficult to interpret as they are all separate journeys - i always find that over smaller separate journeys you will lose more energy due to a number of factors.

In the case of Eireann's test you can see it was one continuous drive, which is the most accurate test. Even being conservative at the end of the trip there was a used energy of 54kWh which pretty much proves that car is not capped with such a large buffer as mine and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

I still couldnt justify the outlay. A quality respray of the front bumper can be had for €400-450 and the bonnet is fine apart from a couple of rock hits.

I appreciate paint protection systems can be useful for those who maintain their cars to a high standard with low miles, but as a daily driver with reasonably high mileage the ridiculous cost far outweighs any benefit. I use Klasse, which as an acrylic sealant does me fine for 12 months.

The bottom side rails of my car have taken a complete hammering which again no paint protection treatment would help. I also have the mudguard extensions on the from wheel, which has stopped the front beening worse than what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Just click on a supercharger on the car map and it shows the price

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got my rear window tint there and enquired about ppf, I can't remember exactly but that stuff is very very expensive, from memory a straight rectangular piece for the luggage area was €180. This is not because of Flawless themselves, it's because ppf is very very expensive.

In other news i've a few chips already gone from my bonnet and down to bare metal, I had blemishes upon pickup that Sandyford buffed out but for some strange reason they all came back over the last few weeks which I can't get over and will log via the app when I get around to it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I don’t have PPF myself either.

I do have aftermarket mudflaps. The oem ones are crap.

Do you find these help with stone chippings and where did you get them?

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed yes.

Ali Express. The same generic ones that are on Amazon, greendrive, RPM etc

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Looking into buying the M3 SR or rear wheel drive as it now called

wondering at today’s weather (12-15) with wife and two kids in the car would I be able to eek out 400km on motorway? If so what speed would I be looking at?

If not what range(ish) at 120km/hr would I get?

The 10k for the LR is too steep for me

I'd say no, maybe in summer if you drive at 100 but not in winter. Presume it's a roundtrip as not too many 400km motorways in Ireland 😁

1 quick toilet/coffee break would do unless you have destination charging.

If there's a supercharger on the route means chances of having to queue are very low

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Yeah I think because I dont have an ev I am overthinking things.

And I presume more and more chargers will be lined out in the coming short to mid term and the reliability will increase.

tbf I would be stopping each way on that round trip so two chances to top up

Have a look at abetterrouteplanner (app or website) you can put in the car, change weather etc to see how different trips look. The main motorway routes (except M9) are well served but would always use the supercharger if there was a choice as plenty of stories of people queuing for an hour at Ecars chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭JOL1

It's not unusual (for those who have yet to make the leap to EV) to focus on such issues but for what it's worth, it's not likely that you will be making too many 400km round trip journeys. All it means is that if you are contemplating such a journey a little planning may be needed to make sure you are charged 100% before you set off and then to incorporate an appropriate stop (to top up). This should not be a problem and as MightyMunster says if it is a Tesla SUC a 15 minute stop should allow you take on approx 200 kms. If not a Tesla site more and more charge sites are being rolled out but perhaps the speed of charging will not be as quick.

And for the other 364 days of the year you are stress free!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

My wife had to do a round trip from Cork to Wicklow in our new SR+. She had to stop twice - her first time using public chargers.

the first one was at M14 ESB charger - she hit that with 40% charge. The setup for ESB e-cars is not good. You have to pre-pay your account so she put in €50. She hadn’t received the physical card from ESB. Then the charger wouldn’t connect to her phone so it took her 20 minutes to realise what was going on. Luckily a nice lady offered to pay for her charge (she fixed her up with Revolut). It took her an hour to add the extra 60%.

My experience first time with Ionity was way more seamless, faster and no prepayment. ESB still have her money btw.

Coming back down she filled 50% at tesla supercharge Ballacolla in 25 minutes. Worked seamlessly.

Remember no point topping up to 100% if you only need 60 or 70 to get home. Also charging at a much lower SOC is quicker e.g. 10-60% will be much faster than 50-100%

If she was at 40% in Mayfield might have been better to stop in Sandyford if going via M50.

On routes with supercharging just put in the full round trip and it'll work out the charging stops for you

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

Query for someone who is familiar with ID3 as well as Tesla M3, in the ID3 if you drive on D, there is always a drag period before the speed drops down gradually, in z M3 I don’t seem to find driving mode as the D, is there is no drag in the Tesla ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭eagerv

I came from an ID.3 to a Model 3. Not sure if I understand what you mean by drag.

With the ID.3 in D it is basically just freewheeling, unless you come up behind another car, junction, speed limit etc where it will apply regen smoothly as needed when you lift off the accelerator pedal.

With the new Model 3 RWD there is only one regen level, which is quite strong. Basically one pedal driving if you have creep turned off. (Allows car to come to a complete stop). I am used to it at this stage, but I liked the VW auto regen system.

Advertisement