Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Just coming back to this, a Pal of mine brings containers in regularly from Lithuania, two weeks ago it cost €4400 for a 45 ft, delivered to Kildare for unloading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Birch €310 plus delivery. We live in the local delivery area so it was a bit cheaper at €35

https://noblewoodgardenstore.ie/product/birch-kiln-dried-firewood-1m3-crate/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

Hi there, you might find below helpful, Sun dried Mediterranean Olive firewood 10-12% moisture, box-crate 1m3- 400 kg @ €340 delivered Nationwide. I believe much better than oak and beech. Handy for people located around Cork city with means of transport as discount provided for personal collection @ €295 from their warehouse, which is a deal.

https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/firewood/olive-firewood

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fazorb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It should be good, it has a very high density circa 990kg/m3 as against oak which typically has a density of 740kg/m3. Given most hard woods have similar energy per kg a given volume of olive wood should have 33% more energy than the same volume of oak wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Looking at the photo of the crate it may not be such a deal. It's just thrown in, and it's all different diameters. It comes down to how much space in the crate is air as a result.

ETA: It specified 400kg. Not sure if that includes the weight of the crate. I think most hardwood cubic metre crates are 450kg and so may help with calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

yeah i have to agree, when i looked at the photo it appeared to be thrown in and all rough cuts too which would be problematic for those trying to stack it high or those with small stoves.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Pinikay wood briquettes? I'm a big fan of those but only one place seems to have them in stock at the moment (https://premiumpellets.ie/product/pini-kay-briquettes-half-pallet/) and I don't know whether it's a good deal (relatively, current climate etc) or whether I should just look at something else.

We have a small stove, no back boiler, relatively small house so not a huge heat demand there but I did find the Pinikay briquettes easy to store, good heat, lasted a while in the fire too.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That photo looks like the firewood is just tumbled into the crate off a conveyor belt, it would be no different to buying it in bulk or tonne bags where they do the same. Given it is not stacked properly around 30% of the volume inside the crate would be fresh air. It could be even more than that if lots of irregular shaped logs are used.

It has to be remembered that with any of these crates we buy the measurements given by fuel merchants are the external measurements but the firelogs are internal. I measured up the inside walls and base of 2m3 crate a couple of years ago out of interest and it was slightly over 1.8m3 internally. So a 1m3 crate is really about 0.9m3 internally full of stacked firewood. Of that 0.9m3 you lose about 10% to fresh air provided it is stacked well. To lose a further 20% due to it not being stacked at all but loosely thrown in suddenly it brings a 1m3 crate as sold down to an actual cubic volume of firewood of approx 0.6m3.

If it were hand stacked then it would be a different proposition given olive is denser than oak. But going by that photo what you're gaining in calorific value you are losing in fresh air. Its a pity its not hand stacked as then it would be good value and I believe olive gives off a very nice smell when burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Try your local home value hardware or ecologs.ie I have no idea what these are like in terms of price, quality, value but these place do stock them I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

How do you get rid if the crates. Don’t have the necessary tools to break it up.

list the crate on adverts for free and someone will take it away the same day, i did this with a few pallets and they were gone within the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A saw and axe turned my crate into kindling for the winter. A satisfying afternoons work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Buy green wood next spring, cover on top and use to dry next winters wood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was going to smash mine up but instead I put it in the shed with loads of hooks on three faces and now all my tools and shovels etc are easy to reach and very tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Every pallet I take delivery of gets the recip saw and hatchet. Kindling for a month or two.

I used the last one to make a mini kindling store in the shed.

@snor might be worth investing in a few tools. Not just for the odd pallet but you'd be surprised how handy they are.

I bought an electric saw from Lidl just for the purpose of breaking the crates up. It was pretty cheap at 35 euro and a 3 year warranty to boot.

There is a surprising amount of wood in them. I just chopped it up into lengths that would fit my stove, approx 60cm wide and then burnt it that way. Handy for kindling if you want to chop that small or else just for a short burst of heat towards the end of the evening when the fire is going out and its not worth putting another log on as youre off to bed soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

You can fit 60cm lengths in your stove? Do you live in a steam train?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

I borrowed my dads hand saw but couldn’t manage it at all.

have it in adverts for the last 3 days.

Thanks - must look out for this 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I always buy from local tree surgeons, they have a constant supply and look after return customers. Usually 350E for a small tipper lorry full of hardwood, would guess about 3.5 cubic metres.

I always order 9 months to year in advance to give it a chance to season. Ordered last week, told 350E for me or 400E to anyone else who asks, thought it was no surprise the way prices have been, but arrived in new lorry and by time i had it stacked I would say easily 4.5 cubic metres of Ash and Beech and well seasoned too, say fit for burning in 3 months, but that could vary by load.

Obviously a bit of work stacking compared to buying the prepacked palleted firewood, but a few hours hard work for plenty of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Thanks. Just ordered the 1.93m3 oak. Crazy expensive, but hard to beat that price at the mo with delivery included.

Just having a browse and spotted this, I normally order a 1.2m crate but this is listed as 400kg which doesn’t mean much to me but maybe someone here has experience with this size

it looks similar but looks can be deceiving

Omega the website doesnt list the dimension of the crate, instead it is listed as 400kg weight which is itself a function of how much moisture is in the firewood- i.e. its not a great way to be assessing value. Also anytime Ive seen weight mentioned before it has normally been 450kg not 400kg and I have seen shrink-flation going on this winter, i.e some merchants are now selling 1.1m3 crates rather than 1.2m3 ones as before. Id ring and ask them the dimensions of the crate to see if it is 1.2m3 or not. Also ask what hardwood is it in case its something that doesnt burn long and hot, not all hardwoods are equal.

these were the things i was thinking about, i dont like buying things blind

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Hi Biztalker,do you have an address for this crowd in Cork.can’t see their location on the website.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The prices are crazy. Looks like I’ll be going for birch as a result. I still have some ash left. So €275 for 1m3 delivered which I’ll be burning with some coal I got in the early days of crazy prices should get me through the winter.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Clonroad More, Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland. 065 6843669

https://www.ecologs.ie/contact-us

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What is the supply situation the other side of Christmas usually like? Do the distributors keep getting in loads over the winter or is this the peak time and only slack supply for the rest of the year? Just wondering if I need to go again with another pallet in February or March, will I be stuck or be able to pick up another load?

• Advertisement

If you're specifically talking kiln dried firewood in crates then in previous years it has been available in February but no one can say with certainity what February 2023 will be like, there has been anecdotal articles and radio reports of people stockpiling both firewood and coal this winter and fuel merchants are saying they're up the walls now with orders.. If there are stocks it likely will be even more expensive than it is now so if you have the storage space I would try to buy enough to last you the whole winter. Buying once also makes financial sense as a part of the overall price is tied up in delivery costs and it tends to be cheaper to buy in bulk if you can.

My usual supplier Monahans were charging 350 for a 1.2m3 of kiln dried oak at the start of August and by the end of August it had gone up to 370 then to 395 and now it has gone up again to 429. So Id expect it to be more expensive come February as that seems to be the direction of travel.

If there are no or low stocks of kiln dried firewood in February I doubt you would be completely stuck for firewood altogether, there is always air seasoned firewood for sale on the likes of Donedeal. So there are other options albeit less value for money.

Advertisement