Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

@Muahahaha thank you for your time and effort in sussing the whole thing out. It really is appreciated. Pity it couldn’t work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Fair play @Muahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Thanks for yr efforts. I'd say Dublin is the only option. And get 15 people taking two crates each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

i have enough wood for a few months already in the shed, but I plan on buying another 2m before the price gets too high. Is ok to keep it outside for a few months and pallet wrap it? I’m waiting for another shed to be installed but it would be December at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

If there's storage space available, I'd get some now. My local guy is increasing 16% on the 15th September. He blames haulage diesel and electricity. I've 2 tons stored that should get me through 2 winters. Shouldn't need to look at wood or oil now till summer 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

sorry if this is off topic, but is oak firewood worth the extra expense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Was €230, now €290

• Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

doesn’t say what hard wood it is and I wouldn’t pay €230 for 2 1tonne bags never mind the €290 it’s the worst way to buy firewood in my opinion

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Has anybody bought a log storage shed or rack from Amazon or elsewhere? I'm looking for recommendations please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

I used this place last week for 1.2m oak. Was 280 at the time but up to 360 now. Delivery was prompt, he had a mechanical pallet truck and moisture content ranges from 8 to 12 percent. I haven't burned any yet though. Seems to deliver nationwide. Not sure how good value it is but might help some given the supply shortages. I usually use monaghan but they were out of stock.

https://www.kennyfuels.ie/product-category/briquettes-kindling-hardwood-kiln-dried-birch-oak-hornbeam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chrismcc409

Post edited by chrismcc409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Apologies if I should have started an independent thread for this question, but it seems there are people in this thread with plenty of good firewood heating knowledge. I'm a complete newbie here.

We have a single mixed fuel stove with no backburner, downstairs (which is open and planned all the way into the kitchen). I'm wondering if we tried for most of the time to use the stove (it's not that big now), with firewood, would the savings be significant enough (I know any amount is good at this stage)? My only concern is that we would pay 360 or so for the 1.2m crate, but then end up firing up the gas anyways.

Basically, wondering where and how the savings are best made using firewood (in what scenarios etc)

Considering getting the below from https://www.coughlanfuels.com/

Very much appreciate any info/responses thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SteM

We saw this when we were out and about the other week.

Way too pricey imo, but I built my own using a similar design quite cheaply. A very straightforward build, even for me.

Thanks out of my range also. Am probably looking at adding some sort of a lean to on an existing barna shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Re: cheap storage options - Pallets are your friend here. Photos attached of a basic store I built out back last week using a bunch of pallets and some scrap wood. Only outlay was the felt for the roof and a few brackets and screws. Have since attached a couple of hinged doors, also pallet-based. Plenty of airflow is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

Thats a difficult question to answer without knowing how well insulated your house is, the space it is heading. They stove make and model, and how efficiently it runs. It really is very subjective.

But all that aside, the question I have for you is have you lit and heated with the stove in recent years and how did you find it (ideally with firewood) . If you were able to maintain a good temperature without burning masses of fuel without much support grom your other hearing system that would tell me your stove is efficient and/or your have a well insulated house. In this scenario it makes sense to use the stove. If not the 1.2m won't last that long and you may as well be burning money.

A high efficiency stove (jotul or morso etc) in a well insulated house will heat much of the property using little fuel for many months of the heating season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Sorry just realised its not going ahead. Fair play for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Now I'm different to you in that I have my own close to infinite firewood supply but I've more or less heated three different homes almost exclusively with firewood for last 12 years or so.

One of those is where my mother lives on farm and getting wood to house is trivial; the other two were where I have lived and it involved a bit of work but no big deal.

The energy rating on the house would be C2 at best (it was just tested last month for selling) to maybe C3/D1. All small houses circa 90m-120m.

A few things to note

*we are all soft as fcuk from being reared in centrally heated houses

*all your house doesn't need to be warm; living space is fine and cool bedrooms are not a bad idea

*lots of houses, even recently built can leak air a lot around doors and windows. Assuming you have proper ventilation for your stove and CO alarm you could gain a lot in terms of comfort with checking door/window latching mechanisms, caulking windows for very very small money.

*Regularly clean your stove; a 5mm coating of ash on inside of stove will have an decent effect of stove efficiency.

*Don't buy expensive kiln dried wood and then store in some damp corner of your yard; if possible have inside near stove (obviously not too near) for a few days before burning.

*learn how to utilise your stove to maximise efficiency.

*Going forward buy your wood in the spring when cheapest and ideally in bulk (or unprocessed if you have space/facilities).

I would have quite a few local people buying wood of me and the smart ones buy when I text them and about to take unsplit fresh wood out of the forest. Typically €80/box v €150/box and even better if in lengths. Its only a hobby/forest management for me but people will get better value for most suppliers like that.

If you store it properly; split to expose as much surface area as possible, well vented and covered on top you'll get to 20% MC pretty quickly, which in my experience hasn't caused issues with really heavy use eg my stove was lit about 4 times between Xmas and St Patricks Day!

Some good info in this book

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/16/norwegian-wood-lars-mytting-man-made-things-trees-robert-penn-review

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coffee to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

199 both in Coop and TJ O'Mahonhy last year. TJ's currently 299 for same size as Coop https://tjomahony.ie/88beech450.html

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

from reading up about best wood to get I've read that beech is a very hard wood.

Is it suitable for a stove and is it really hard to get lit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We found beech to be great in the stove, a very clean burning fuel, very little soot. Took light easily with some kindling and was slow to burn. Obvioulsy kiln dried is the best and most efficient burn and to be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kil

My first choice would be ash, followed by or beech. Oak can be hard to light and birch burns really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The quicker wood is sold in a transparent manner; like most other energy sources, i.e. per kJJ/kW the better for the end user.

Most woods vary very little between each other in energy output per KG at a given moisture content, but as hardwoods are denser they have more energy per unit volume.

Off course wood is sold in ""tonne" bags, trailer loads, by weight and by cubic metres. No wonder consumer are confused with what is good value or not.

There is no good reason the calorific value of a load shouldn't be part of the sale; like when you buy diesel, kerosene, electricity etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I've burned nothing but this for four years in my stove. Kiln dried only though, it's far from difficult to get lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've bought from Coughlan's the past few years. Always got good quality wood.

Just so you know, that crate in your screenshot is out of stock. I know because I'm on backorder for one. Bit cheeky that there's no mention of it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Ditto, put an order in last week and got a text the next morning asking if wanted to go on the wait list as they had no wood crates of any type in stock for the foreseeable. I ordered a crate of birch from Noblewood instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Heads up, Premium Pellets have their 1.96m3 crates of kiln dried oak back in stock. Price is gone up from 525 to 575 which includes delivery. I spoke to the owner last Friday, really nice chap who was embarrassed by the price increases but they are out of his control. This is what Ive ordered as it is hard enough to get oak this winter going by other suppliers, there is a beech & birch about but oak is thin on the ground.

Annoyed at myself that I didnt order back in late July when they were available for 400 but work and then summer holidays got in the way. But at this stage Im just glad to get my hands on it given the shortages due to people stockpiling it. I had checked the usual supplier Monahans yesterday and they have no 2m3 crates of oak and the website doesnt list a pre-order option so at the moment anyway it doesnt look like they are getting supplies of that size oak back in. They have pre-orders only for 1.2m3 of oak at 390 a crate. Ash and birch in 2m3 sizes are also listed as out of stock with no pre-order option. 590 is the listed price of a 2m3 crate of oak, ash and birch if they did have it but that could well go up if they do get them back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

what price was noblewood? And what did you get?

Advertisement