Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Ordered Sunday arrived Tuesday. Wood looks good. +1 for Premium Pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

just an update on this, i called them and it is birch and the crate is 1m3 it must have shrunk in the wash lol

not such a great deal as it first looked

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok time to light up the stove and was getting supplies from https://www.monahans.ie/ Cant remember what I ordered as its been over two years since we ordered form them

Are these still the best value or any others (delivery Dublin) that offer good / best value

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

Just looking for a bit of advice on storing firewood. At the moment I don't have a shed or anywhere sheltered from rain (Other than under the childrens playhouse!) and was wondering if I bought a pallet of dried logs and kept the wood on the pallet off the ground and under a tarp would that be ok? I have a log shelf built in beside my stove but that won't hold a massive amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A few of us here have bought off Premium Pellets in Drogheda who offer nationwide delivery included in the price. I bought a 1.96m3 crate of kiln dried oak for 575 a couple of weeks ago but see now from their site it has gone up in price again to 615. Monahans have had 'Out of Stock' labels on their 2m3 crates for several weeks now so supplies of that size dont seem to be there. They do have 1.2m3 crates for pre order but prices are pretty high like 429 for oak whereas Premium Pellets has 1.16m3 crates of oak for 345.

Whatever you do get it soon as prices have been rising almost every two weeks and supplies seem tight this year. Other places you can check that have delivery to a lot of places in Ireland are the Co-op, TJ oMahoney and Topline

• Advertisement

You'd get away with it in a pinch but its not ideal long term imo. If you do it avoid cheap tarps and pitch the tarp at a slant that ensures water wont pool on top of it when it rains heavily. But Id say if you plan to burn firewood every winter then an outdoor log store to keep the firewood dry is a good investment. There are also vertical indoor ones and if you have a chimney breast they can be used to be filled with firelogs and the weight of that will support a lot of firewood up against the chimney breast, this is my set up outdoors and indoors

The outdoor one is two logs deep and holds just under 1.2m3 of logs, the indoor set up has enough firewood for about 15 fires meaning much of the wood will be sitting inside for up to two months before actually getting used (I tend to light the fire twice a week unless there is a bitterly cold snap). Ive found having it indoors as long as possible before burning helps dry it out even more as its getting heat from your fires. By the time some of it is burnt it will be absolutely bone dry, as low as 7-8% moisture and will burn very well in a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Wow I cant remember what type of wood we ordered previously but s its been over 2 years seems mad prices. They have Oak and Birch on Premium pellets with Birch cheaper price (ok sizewise also) Dont have storage at the moment so might start with Birch is there much of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks for posting this I have never fully understood these set ups.

Is it a requirement that this is placed in a fairly sheltered area where prevailing wind and rain don't drive the rain into the store?

I'm not sure but think whatever set up we have we are prone to some swirling winds and not confident I have a spot that would keep logs dry through a bad night

well folks i am now hunting for bargains and its bleak with crates now being resized to 1.6m3 and 1m3 and what looks like a good buy has been shrunk or out of stock, you need to be very savvy now compared to last year, i wonder could we get a sticky created with the best places to buy from in this current market

• Advertisement

Given the choice of oak or birch Id go oak everytime even if it is a few quid dearer. Birch still burns well but I dont think it burns quite as long as oak, it feels like you are topping up the fire with extra logs more often than oak. Also some birch can have a silver bark which burns with a lot of sparks.

yes thats the general idea, place the log store facing the same direction as the prevailing winds and rain are coming from so it doesnt get it so bad. Some wetting is inevitable though especially for logs nearer to the ground as heavy rain can bounce and create splashes. But as most of the wood Id burn has been indoors for a fair few weeks before burning its never been an issue for me as it just dries out during that storage time indoors. If you've buying a log store think in terms of 25cm which is what most logs are in length. So my one above is 60cm deep, which allows logs to be stacked two deep (50cm) and then a small bit of an overhang to help keep the rain out somewhat.

There are other options to the open faced ones, the likes of B&Q do big plastic outdoor storage units which are completely enclosed and have a lid at the top for access as well as doors that open out for when you're filling it. Some people make homemade ones out of pallets and thats a good cheap option as well. Its not to say you cant do it with a tarp, you can but if you intend burning every winter a log store is a good investment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Build it and they will come! Any tarp recommendations or comments on probable design flaws welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭webels

Looks great but fasten some bracing at the back to keep up the side pallets. Its going to get air circulation from all sides and below.

Imo dont bother with tarp. Sun gets most of them and they become porous in a couple of years. Use heavy guage plastic 1000g like below and keep it weighed down with stone or a few concrete blocks

Thanks.In the process of driving Two or three posts at either side to secure/wedge the side pallets. Pallets came from coal warehouse deliveries over the years and fencing posts were used previously for a dog run.

@webels How durable is the above plastic. How long before it perishes. We are quite high up and exposed to all elements particularly high winds.

We can all attest to this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ive-never-seen-anything-like-it-firewood-dealers-refuse-orders-as-fear-of-running-out-of-fuel-sparks-shortage-42031501.html

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭webels

Thats DPM so it will last years. Very durable so unless its sliced with a blade etc it will keep the top of the stack dry. I'm using the same plastic dpm for the last 10 years.

Another bit of up cycling. This cover came with a chicken enclosure we bought over a year ago.

jaysis thats unreal

But the surge in demand has led to some retailers imposing quotas on pallets of stove-ready cut hardwood logs, with prices for delivered firewood in some urban areas rising by 50pc plus. Firewood processors are struggling to cope with the unprecedented demand and some have even had to close their order books.

In 2018 Irish households used an estimated 243,000 cubic metres of firewood. However, that could surge to a whopping 450,000 cubic metres this winter. One firewood supplier, Padraig Egan of Axe Forestry, said demand was being driven by one factor – fear. “I have never seen anything like it,” he said. “We cannot keep our storage sheds full. We have never dealt with demand like this before. It is simply incredible.”

Almost double the demand of previous years and we havent even had a proper cold snap yet. Glad Im stocked up as its clear they are struggling to meet all the extra demand

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

I have a 1.6m3 crate here if anyone would like it for storage. S.Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

Thanks for your reply. I actually have something like that built into a unit beside the chimney breast but it is a fair bit smaller and only goes up to waist height but I suppose it is better than nothing. I have one of those small plastic store things with doors on the front that you see outside the likes of woodies etc but its completely full as we don't have a shed. That would probably be ideal as there is air circulation and it is fairly waterproof so all I need now is a shed! Under the kids playhouse might have to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Anyone using anything like this for storage? It's 1200 litres - can fit 2 wheelie bins into it. I'm just not sure if it's robust enough to handle that volume of firewood; I'm concerned that the weight of a full load might be too much for it, and the whole thing might pop apart. Keen to hear anyone's experience if they're using something like this.

• Advertisement

we had one before and the sides do not hold well with the weight of the wood and the condensation build up will not do you any favours, we ended up getting a log store when that unit fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

We have one of those that we used for bags of coal & briquettes, now it's used for various gardening bits. I wouldn't load a large amount of wood into it anyway. For that price you'd be better off building our own log store imo. It's a weekend project and you can customise to the size you need. Buy the timber if you want it to look decent or if you want to do it cheaper get used pallets as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Ah, I suspected that could possibly be the case alright.

I never thought of Amazon for something that size; will have a look later. Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fazorb

Does this seem like a good price, looking at a half trailer load delivered?

https://www.axeforestry.ie/products/x

it is very hard to judge how much firewood you will actually get because it is loosely loaded into the trailer so lots of air, it is much the same as a 1 tonne bag for value and until you stack it you wont know. it doesn't say if its dried out at all, you need to shop wisely when dropping a few quid on firewood because its already through the roof so nobody wants to get burned twice (pardon the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

I built one myself out of some scrap timber, mainly 2x2s for frame and used old picket fences cut to 22” for shelves. Personally I think shelving is good as timber can be difficult to stack. If you look at one of those Amazon pictures linked above, that child would get some clatter if it was to dis lodge. It can easily happen, I’ve had a few topple on me toes!

depends on the timber i guess, i use kiln dried oak and its very easy to stack tight and there is no budging it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Quoting myself here I know, but the fall in STG has impacted the price from northern suppliers. I went with CD Logs just outside Newry. After conversion from sterling it was €291 for 1.2m birch collected. I know not many would have the vehicle to collect half a tonne of wood though.

The wood is packed very well in the crates and decent sizes.

Advertisement