Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It means according to that source, and they provided the source, the sex gap in sports is primarily rooted in biological differences between the sexes, namely in relation to males superior skeletal muscle mass, oxidative capacities and lower fat mass. It means exactly what it says.

What of it? I wouldn’t read as much as you’ve done into a single sentence in the whole article and taken it out of context as though it meant I could now ignore the rest of the article because I’ve got what I came for. Even in the study which the article refers to, the author makes more or less the same point as I’m making, and the same point as the article in question sought to make -

On a personal note, starting in the late 1970s and into the 1980s I was lucky enough to participate in distance running as a college undergraduate and into medical school and beyond. During this time, distance running became widely open to women and I participated on successful co-ed teams. In this context, it was an incredible privilege to have a ‘front row seat’ as my female teammates made what was once thought to be dangerous and impossible, routine. The larger lesson is that it is a grave mistake to underestimate or limit any individual or group of people on the basis of superficial preconceived notions and biases. I am forever grateful to these women for teaching me this lesson.

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/JP272268

Initially I thought you were interpreting the whole article as suggesting that it accepts the primary differences are fixed and unchangeable, which is why I said that it doesn’t, and went on to explain the broader point of the article - it was making the point that the assumptions mentioned above were what informed conventional wisdom, but there were other factors which could be influencing the sex gap in sports which ought to be explored and would require further research, particularly among women, if a reduction in the sex gap was to be achieved -

Their aim wasn’t simply “men are better than women, woohoo, lock her up boys, we’re done here!”, They first established that there is a sex gap, and used the running as their example, then they examined the possible reasons which might explain the sex gap, then they proposed that it was possible to reduce the sex gap by focusing on, and conducting more research in women’s sports in order to reduce the sex gap in performance between women’s and men’s sports.

Their argument is the opposite of suggesting that current research is conclusive. They’re arguing that current research is limited in it’s simplistic explanation of the phenomenon which has been observed, and that more research is needed into women’s sports in order to better understand the causes, and propose better solutions to achieve the results which they are arguing is possible, namely - a reduction in the sex gap in performance between women’s and men’s sports.

They’re not suggesting women just need to try harder, before anyone ties to suggest that less than helpful interpretation based upon essentialism. The authors are arguing the opposite of essentialism. They would, because they’re aware of how essentialism is used in the sciences to rationalise and justify all sorts of pseudoscientific nonsense -

Essentialism has been controversial from its beginning. Plato, in the Parmenides dialogue, depicts Socrates questioning the notion, suggesting that if we accept the idea that every beautiful thing or just action partakes of an essence to be beautiful or just, we must also accept the "existence of separate essences for hair, mud, and dirt". In biology and other natural sciences, essentialism provided the rationale for taxonomy at least until the time of Charles Darwin; the role and importance of essentialism in biology is still a matter of debate.

Historically, beliefs which posit that social identities such as ethnicity, nationality or gender are essential characteristics have in many cases been shown to have destructive or harmful results. It has been argued by some that Essentialist thinking lies at the core of many reductivediscriminatory or extremist ideologies. Psychological essentialism is also correlated with racial prejudice. In medical sciences, essentialism can lead to a reified view of identities—for example assuming that differences in hypertension in Afro-American populations are due to racial differences rather than social causes—leading to fallacious conclusions and potentially unequal treatment. Older social theories were often conceptually essentialist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essentialism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

could do without the walls of text. how do you explain the 13 seconds in the 800 meters ?

Use the ignore function then, that’s what it’s there for 👍

No Why would I please explain in detail why 800m times are way off. I know why you know why but were dancing on a head of a pin apparently.

We would be, if I ever took a notion to entertain your silliness. You’ve admitted that you know, and according to you, I know too, so you don’t actually need me to answer a question which you already know the answer to, which makes your question pointless. You do that a lot, but I don’t think it’s sufficient reason to ignore you. It’s sufficient reason however to justify refusing to entertain you.

• Advertisement

So that's a long winded way of saying I can't answer because reasons. 13 second at an elite level is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

you won’t get a straight answer at all pal, honestly. OEJ will do everything in their power to not admit that males have a physiological advantage over females. It would effectively underwrite everything they have said…and that’s quite a lot.

on what exactly maybe spell it out to the rest of the class. Most if not all males in that 800m would have posted times well ahead of the female race. They buy better coaches ?

True i'm not a christian. but this stuff always reminds me of Religion. I would never question someone's belief on that. but if they tried to explain it to me I would push back with facts and evidence. It's fine to have Religious beliefs but if your try and enforce them on me there is going to be a problem.

• Advertisement

Not true Frank, I have no problem stating as a fact that depending upon the context, men have physiological advantages over women. I do have a problem with the ‘males’ and ‘females’ nonsense, because it’s reductive language, so I just don’t use it. Bit like classifying and referring to women and men, girls and boys as vulva and penis owners… you wouldn’t really, would you? I wouldn’t either. Some people would, and those people in my experience, are best avoided, for your own sanity. That’s just my experience though, you can judge for yourself.

Do they? I wouldn’t know. You do though, and you already know I know. At least, that’s the way this works based upon every previous interaction I’ve had with you up to this point. Is that going to change to you deciding you’re prepared to engage in good faith in the discussion?

How the hell is using “male” or “female” reductive?

When it’s used reductively. That’s why I gave you the example of using vulva and penis owners. From the perspective of taxonomy in biology, they are inarguably accurate terms. However, they are also indicative of the fact that anyone using them is probably a few sandwiches short of a picnic, and should be best avoided for your own sanity.

I’d suggest the same of anyone using the terms ‘males’ and ‘females’ when they’re suggesting that females are inferior to males in some way as a consequence of the physiological differences between the sexes in support of their argument that prejudice and discrimination against either women or men is justified on that basis.

Of course women are at a significant disadvantage in terms of competing against men in activities in which women were never even considered in the first place as the idea was always to demonstrate the virility of men. Women were thought to be inferior as a consequence of their fertility. That’s another one btw that’d make me instantly wary of anyone using the term ‘male fertility’.

In terms of men, they would be referring to virility, as that is the antonym of fertility as it applies to women in the context of human reproduction. I’d be a bit more patient with anyone making that mistake though as it’s not so commonly used in modern English -

Virility (from the Latin virilitas, manhood or virility, derived from Latin vir, man) refers to any of a wide range of masculinecharacteristics viewed positively. Virile means "marked by strength or force". Virility is commonly associated with vigour, health, sturdiness, and constitution, especially in the fathering of children. In this last sense, virility is to men as fertility is to women. Virile has become obsolete in referring to a "nubile" young woman, or "a maid that is Marriageable or ripe for a Husband, or Virill".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virility

I’d be much less forgiving if I got the smell of incel off them, though generally if I don’t pick up on the scent, when they start quoting the barstool philosophy of Canada Dryballs and his 12 rules for life, it’s a good indication that you should probably run, and don’t stop until you’ve put considerable distance between them and yourself. I don’t imagine most Canadians are anything like that though solely on the basis of them having characteristics in common with Peterson; it’s a big country, so I don’t really fear for your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Here's the first bit of the conclusion:

"It is undeniable that the drastic narrowing of the sex gap during the 20th century has leveled off, and the current data indicates that performance will not be completely equalized between the sexes, at least for Olympic running distances (Cheuvront et al., 2005; Thibault et al., 2010; Millard-Stafford et al., 2018). However, the assertions that the sex gap is now fixed and explained entirely by biological sex differences is a limited explanation."

So, it appears "performance will not be completely equalized between the sexes" but biology is a limited explanation. It's still the primary explanation. I think we are agreed that socio-cultural factors that still hold women back in sport could narrow the gap, but the article is clearly saying that the gap is not likely to reduce to zero. Whereas, you seemed to imply that it might when you said:

... there are a couple of different, equally valid hypotheses which explain the differences

What they are saying is that on one hand here are the biological factors that explain some of the differences which are not likely to reduce to zero and on the other hand here are socio-cultural factors that could possibly lead to a reduction in the gap.

What they’re doing, is they’re pointing out that the explanations for the sex gap are primarily based on the biological differences between the sexes, entirely absent of any other explanations, which is true. That’s what they refer to as conventional wisdom, and they give an example which defies the logic of conventional wisdom, ie - an outcome which, if conventional wisdom holds true, should not be possible.

Neither they, nor I, have ever suggested that the gap could be reduced to zero. What I’m suggesting there, and what they’re suggesting, is that a couple of things need to happen in women’s sports if the gap is to be reduced, and they mention more research and more resources and so on, which I think is a fair point.

Do I think it’s going to happen? Not really, not on the scale necessary to make any significant inroad into the sex gap. Do I care? Not all that much if I’m being honest, because I don’t care for much for the idea of comparing women’s sports to men’s sports in the first place. I think greater investment in women’s sports is arguable on its own merits without ever referring to men’s sports. Then again I’m not interested in notions of gender equality which I gather are kinda a big deal for some people, even scientists.

How can you waffle so much???

Using male or female is considered reductive to you…and you throw in some crap about penis owners and vulva owners? Do you go to a store to purchase them and then get a card with those names?

Your “arguments” are getting increasingly weirder by the post. Someone can have all the characteristics they want of masculinity or femininity, do a blind blood test on them and see what sex comes up…or will that be “reductive” as well?

Its a face that males have advantages over females physiologically, that’s not reductive, that’s fact. And what’s this when women were never considered in the first place? You mean a competition like the 100m sprint or soccer or weightlifting or any sport that males have an advantage, is only done so because it’s geared towards males?

Your arguments really are full of holes and a form of dogma at this stage, with the odd attempt at trying to sound smart, like mentioning Jordan Peterson there as if that has anything to do with what we are talking about.

It’s like you completely ignored the point I was making is the importance of context, y’know, that concept where it helps an understanding, as opposed to going off half-cocked in frustration at the fact that I don’t share your opinions.

I only mention JP in passing, not entirely unrelated as his whole shtick is the promotion of male virility and the fact that he has made a career for himself out of playing the victim when Bill C-16 was passed -

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/features/canadas-gender-identity-rights-bill-c-16-explained

A blood test might be required if someone were interested in finding out their sex, but for the purposes of being protected from unlawful discrimination on the basis of their gender identity, no such tests are required. I don’t have any issue with exemptions for the purposes of blood donation. See? Context, it’s important -

On August 15, 2016, Canadian Blood Services' new eligibility criteria for transgender people came into effect. This criteria states that transgender donors who have not had lower gender affirming surgery will be asked questions based on their sex assigned at birth. They will be eligible to donate or be deferred based on these criteria. For example, trans women will be asked if they have had sex with a man in the last 12 months. If the response is yes, they will be deferred for one year after their last sexual contact with a man. Donors who have had lower gender affirming surgery will be deferred from donating blood for one year after their surgery. After that year, these donors will be screened in their affirmed gender. This means that trans women who have not had gender affirming surgery and have sex with men will be deferred for three months following last sexual contact before being eligible, similarly to men who have sex with men.

This distinction between operative and non-operative trans women has been deemed as transphobic by some trans rights activists in different provinces.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_rights_in_Canada

It wasn’t in any sort of an attempt to appear clever (again you give me far too much credit), it was only because it popped into my head, entirely related to what we were talking about, and the only reason it occurred to me was because you had mentioned you reside in Canada, so you’d be far more likely to bump into his disciplines than I would, but at the same time I’m not really concerned for your safety because like I said - big country, be grand.

Petterson is an outlier even in Canada. His popularity is on the internet, not in his home country.

But again, what does any of what you posted to do with males having the advantage over females in sports? You said it’s something about where sports being geared towards males more. How is that? If the rules of the sports are the same, the distances and metrics are the same, how is that preferred to males over females?

This is exactly what I said:

Of course women are at a significant disadvantage in terms of competing against men in activities in which women were never even considered in the first place as the idea was always to demonstrate the virility of men. Women were thought to be inferior as a consequence of their fertility.

Since their inception, sports were developed as a way of demonstrating virility among men. There were no equivalent competitions among women because, well, they weren’t men.

Even when Pierre de Coubertin founded the modern Olympic Games, it was basically a means of again, demonstrating virility, and a few of his other… fancier notions. On the idea of women competing in sports for example, he had this to say -

Coubertin also spoke against women's sports and the Women's World Games: "Impractical, uninteresting, unaesthetic, and we are not afraid to add: incorrect, such would be in our opinion this female half-Olympiad".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_de_Coubertin

Basically, the idea of women in sports just weren’t given any consideration in society, and that’s as true today as it was then. It’s why women’s sports are as underfunded and unsupported as they are - not because women can’t compete in sports, but because of the perception that they shouldn’t, because sports are what sorts the men from the boys. Girls and women just aren’t relevant in that paradigm.

That's tripe Cant move for womens sport on the tv. You don't even get a choice till the team lineup comes on.

• Advertisement

Right, so if you go back far enough to make your point, your kind of skipping over the main question which was do you think that games, sports and competitions, which males and females can compete in, are geared more towards men. Like football, boxing, gymnastics etc, your stance is that these were created for males and thus that is where their advantage is, not their physical attributes? Is that what you’re saying?

It’s not so much an advantage, it’s more like sports are considered just for men, it’s taken as a given. Women are at a disadvantage simply because they’re not men. There’s a certain amount of tokenism involved in women’s sports, but it’s not as though women’s sports will ever be regarded as being of the same status as men’s sports. Essentially, sports aren’t “geared towards men”, they were created, developed and promoted by men, for men. Women’s sports amount to not much more than tokenism in that context.

I’m not arguing women can compete with men, because I don’t think they need to. I don’t buy into the notion of answering the question as to whether or not women can compete with men, or encouraging the idea that women should feel they need to “prove” they are “just as good as the men”. Clearly, given the biological differences between the sexes, comparisons between them are silly IMO. There are things men will do that women can’t do, and things women can do that men can’t do.

Societies place different values on both sexes, based upon different expectations and standards. Specifically within the context of sports, women are significantly disadvantaged. Within other contexts, men are significantly disadvantaged; life expectancy for example -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7928849/

Swings and roundabouts really, depends upon the context.

I have the full Sky Sports package, your claim of “can’t move for womens sport on the tv” isn’t even worth entertaining.

But I wouldn’t expect you to take my word for it -

https://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/do-you-know-the-factors-influencing-girls-participation-in-sports/

You must have missed all the women's football, Rugby, Cricket, gaelic and alike then. Then all the tv adverts for women's sports.

Must have been truly awful for you to be hemmed in by the other 96% of sports on tv dedicated to coverage and promotion of men’s sports, if you couldn’t move for the 4% of sports on tv dedicated to coverage and promotion of women’s sports 😒

I don't watch sport that's my point. outside the world cup or my countries team is playing. will watch the olympics too. There is no way it's only 4%. interesting using dedicated do they not go above that.... Dedicated implies the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I'm really lost as to what the point of this thread is at this stage, or what the discussion is about anymore it's grown legs and tangents. I'm beyond lost.

There is a reason for that. And it's only from one side. walls of text random points. Should have been closed on Mean are generally faster and stronger than women. And at an elite level it's a massive gap.

So you’ll say that my claim that women’s sports are underfunded and under supported is tripe, based on the fact that you don’t even watch sport, but you can’t move for women’s sport on the tv…

It’s no secret that women’s sports are not watched or supported as much as men’s sports. 

According to livestrong.com, In a study that was done on four major newspapers– USA Today, the Boston Globe, the Orange County Registrar and the Dallas Morning News– women-only sports stories totaled just 3.5 percent of all sports stories. 

It’s not just the papers who aren’t showcasing women’s sports either, it’s all media outlets in general.

Approximately 40 percent of sport and physical activity participants are women, but only 6 to 8 percent of total media sports coverage is devoted to their athletics, according to WomensSportsFoundation.com

https://knoxsports.com/dont-womens-sports-get-coverage-mens/

In an Irish context -

• Online coverage of women’s sport has grown by 50% but is still only six per cent.
    • Coverage of women’s sport in print increased in 2019 by 53% but is still only five per cent nationally. 
    • Irish audience figures for women’s sport on TV almost trebled in 2019, from seven per cent in 2018 to 18 % in 2019.
    • But overall television coverage of women’s sport decreased by 40% in that period. RTE and TG4 actually increased their output but 11 TV channels were surveyed and the stark drop was down to the poor coverage of women on pay-per-view channels.
    • 80 per cent of those surveyed said they are now more aware of women’s sport due to 20x20 and 61% said they are more likely to support women’s sport since its launch.
    • 75% of men surveyed said 20x20 changed their mindset positively towards women’s sport.
    • 42% of women said they are participating in more sport and physical activity due to 20x20

https://m.independent.ie/sport/womens-sport/independentie-the-top-site-for-coverage-of-womens-sport-39654864.html

• Advertisement

And pay per view tells you exactly how popular it is. Just like RTE would be gone if it was not state funded. Even with funding and more coverage its seems it's just not popular Even amongst women. kind shots your own argument down demand more funding more coverage but when push comes to shove people just don't want to consume it. That should be a red flag right there.

Advertisement