Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a letter regarding smart meter

• 04-03-2022 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

Just got a letter from ESB saying I am due to have a smart meter installed.

Trying to figure out the right way to go

I have heard that some people who have had solar installed have lost the savings benefit of solar.

Has any one had that experience or has the smart meter had no negative impact at all.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would it be a negative? It reads the meter in real time (well not really but does away with manual reads) and having solar will still mean you are using less ESB electricity?

What negative impacts do you think will accrue from the smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MATTYON

What I have heard is that the smart meters were reporting total consumption and not distinguishing between grid or solar use,meaning that people were being charged for total consumption

so I'm wondering if that is still problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

Because you'll end up paying more is a big negative of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

There is a whole thread on this......

Smart Tariff Unit Rates - Page 11 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

It's not the technology of a Smart Meter verses the old standard meter that's at issue - it's the tariffs associated with the SmartMeters. Right now most people who have solar can charge their batteries up at night rate and then use that during the following day when the daytime rates are in. I save about €1/day alone (forgetting solar generation) on just doing that.

However, many of the smart meter tariffs are basically "Pants" in respect to allowing you to do that, so you end up paying more as Coddle4dinner mentions. This I think is changing and some of the electric companies are introducing newer more competitive tariffs to compare favouribly to the day/night tariff that most of us are on.....but I've not really kept up to date with the latest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Have had a smart meter installed for months now and no it doesn't charge you for total consumption including solar. It basically reads and charges only for energy you purchase from the grid. It also reads what you give back to the grid but at the minute you are not getting paid for that.

There are some woeful smart packages around but there are some really good ones too like the bord gais EV plan I'm on. Day 18c, night I think is around 12/13c and from 2-5 am it's 4.5c. Through winter I used this 4.5c rate to charge my batteries and use that so no day units were purchased. Less so now that solar generation is picking up though

• Advertisement

That's great to hear

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You can refuse/delay it. I did. No problems at all.

Day/Night meter is a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭del roy

Just like to warn everyone

a few years ago I go a smart meter installed, everything grand for a few months then a bill for two months €4,437.62.

Rang them up, said I think there is a mistake here I couldn't have used that amount, ignored me and put me straight through to credit department to make huge monthly payments. They were a nightmare, stating all the time if its on the metre you must have used it. They were useless god help me if I was an older person and just agreed monthly payments.

Anyway it turned out the metre was faulty and the guy who came to take it away to be checked said there was loads getting checked.

Beware...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yikes! Nasty business del roy.

To be fair though, you could have a fault in any piece of tech. You could also have installed a day/night meter and with it being faulty a huge bill resulted from that. No? The reason I say that is that they have a legal obligation to meter correctly, and while faults I'm sure do occur, for the most part I wouldn't think smart meters are any worse (or better) in terms of accuracy over the older types.

I assume they refunded all your payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I saw the ones who had lower unit rates had far higher standing charges. Panda is one such example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Nothing new there, day night meters always had much higher day rates esp Energia. It's always a balance between unit rates and standing charges

Hi del Roy

Do you still have a smart meter or did you get rid of it

How does the transition from old meter to smart meter work in regards to your previous reading?

i believe the smart meter will start at 0?

does that mean you are forced to go onto a smart meter rate.

do i need to contact my supplier to let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

No you do not need to change whatsoever to a smart plan. They will try to convince you to but I wouldn't recommend it yet. Your reading will go to zero on this meter but your next bill will have two readings on it. Your usage prior to the meter and new usage from 0-? Whatever you use before bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭del roy

Sorry lads

Yes I still have smart meter however ELECTRIC IRELAND were a nightmare to deal with basically pay up or we will have to cut you off.

Anyway it turned out the metre was faulty and the guy who came to take it away to be checked said there was loads getting checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Smart meter - dont consent to having it installed. Don't move to a smart plan as they are more expensive. Get the smart meter removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All the country is being upgraded to smart meters before 2025 I think. Mine was done last year. There has been no change as I have not opted for a smart plan.

You will be upgraded anyway

Slava Ukrainii

On renewal you will only be shown smart plans.

MCC02 customers will not be changed yet as the CRU has not outlined a plan to change. This is because they have not solved the problem that the consumer and supply company have a contract and the network cannot unilaterally change this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You may only be shown smart meter plans but my understanding is you do not have to opt for one. You can go on straight day rates until the smart meter plans are rolled out.

Mine was as installed June '22, I change suppliers in November and stayed on an ordinary rate

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not mandatory, we will not all be "upgraded anyway", been covered on the forum many times over.

If you have a Smart Meter at present you can have it replaced with a less intrusive Day/Night meter at zero cost, just request off your electricity provider and they will manage the process free of charge

• Advertisement

Exactly. And once you get on a day/night tariff you become an MCC02 customer and are not permitted to be automatically changed to a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 emeraldsky

Forgive the ignorant American here! My husband and I are moving to Ireland soon and I have been wondering if you are allowed to decline having a smart meter installed, or if they are mandatory? I'd appreciate clarification. Thank you so much in advance!

You can decline https://notosmart.wordpress.com/what-to-do/

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

They will replace day/night meters eventually too though, yes I expect as with 24 hour meters there will be people who refuse, but CRU did plan for day/night meter upgrades in a phase 3 of the roll out plan.

The main issue with day/night is the fact they have no equivalent day/night plan for people who don't want a smart plan! If they had solved this issue originally they'd be no need to handle 24hr vs day/night meters differently

They can't currently change you from an MCC02 day night meter as there are no plans available on a smart meter to match your tariff and they (ESBN) cannot interfere in the contract between you and your supplier

Exactly if the smart meters had allowed for the basic day/night mode as we currently have with MCC02 then they could of simply upgraded everyone without needing to worry if it was 24hr or day/night. The current day/night meters can be used for either 24hr or day/night as it reports all 3 values - 24 hour / Day and Night reading.

"They will replace day/night meters eventually too though"

It's been covered here before and in Minister's Questions, it cannot be enforced. If you have it in writing then fire ahead and post it.

I never said it would be enforced same as with 24 hr meters. You can refuse smart meter if your on a normal 24 hour meter. Same way when they do work our how to roll out smart meters to replace Day/Night you'll still be able to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So you don't think it might get to a stage where they will just disconnect you from the grid if you refuse to upgrade your meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I ignored the requests to change mine. They stopped asking a few months back.

Advertisement