Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2022-Round 16 - Monza : Italian GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just have a NASCAR style with green, white, chequer. So you get two laps regardless of what's happening on the track and there's no rush, safety-wise, to try get the track cleared towards. And then everyone knows they'll be in a racing end chance, drivers can go get new tyres or try take up a better race position but be vulnerable on the restart. But refuelling might be a problem if it over runs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

The biggest issue today was the safety car picking up the wrong car, and taking a lap or 2 to sort it out. If that didn't happen, there could have been 1 racing lap at the end - assuming the lapped cars got sorted quickly....

Sky would wreck your head when stuff like this happens. No chance of an Irish broadcaster picking up F1 and losing all of the pro British at the expense of all logic commentary I suppose... I don't we've has a safety car yet this season without Abu Dhabi being mentioned, and Hamilton being asked for his opinion on it regardless of the circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

I watched it en espanol where the bias was obviously different but neither favoured Verstappen or hamilton. It's been years since I've watched F1 but the MSC hoarding suggests its audience are of a certain vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cars are fuelled at the start. There is no refuelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another issue was they waited until Max had passed the pitlane before deploying the safety car which meant a lap was lost waiting for him to come back around and then they picked up Russell instead and wasted 2 more laps sorting that out. It was a complete farce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That’s not fair for anyone. Even ignoring the leader who loses out most, you’re wiping out everyone else’s gap to the person behind. If they’re allowed change tyres then that also wipes out any tyre advantage a car might have over another.

Agreed, Nyck de Vries deserved driver of the day. Deserves a race seat too. Sainz had a great race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hope leclerc and Perez dnf the next race so the "championship" as exciting as it was will be over, and we won't have to listen to the piss poor attempts of the media saying there is still a chance for Charles or Perez. It's been over since Barcelona I wish the media copped that sooner too 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

Porsche wont touch Williams... they wanted Red Bull because it would guarantee the publicity that comes from being a top team. Building up a team would cost too much money and take too long... They might go for mid tier team like Haas or Aston Martin (bye bye young Stroll).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Sky are unbelievable and afraid Karun Chandhok has let him self down I always thought he was a neutral presenter. But clearly Sky have a real agenda reaching out to millions of viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What did Karun say? He's usually on the ball...

• Advertisement

He said we can't keep looking to the past referring to Abu Dhabi. He's getting terrible abuse on social media from toxic Hamilton fans at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He also said he would prefer a red flag and a restart today was possible given what happened in Baku in 2021.

Sky even said today that the RD has some autonomy to make calls such as red flag etc. They also put some pressure on the RD saying he was inexperienced. Like the RD followed the rules they keep saying should have been followed in Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact he's right is whats annoying the LH fans.

They are a bloody nuisance. They were after Schmitz last race aswell. Always someone else to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

This has been a common issue all season, any time there is any kind of incident they seem to spend 30+ seconds deciding whether or not to throw a SC or VSC or yellows. They were the same with the earlier Vettel incident and it’s happened time and again this year.

Once the decision was made though I don’t think it was incorrect for it to pick up Russell - the priority is to bunch up the field as quickly as possible to create a gap for the cherry picker can get out on circuit and waving through everyone until Verstappen arrives would just slow that.

Ultimately the reality was that there simply wasn’t enough time - people keep comparing this to Abu Dhabi but in that case there were more laps remaining, the lap was longer which allowed more time, the incident was easier to clear with no requirement for a cherry picker to come on track as the car was parked by a service road, and the field were bunched up much more quickly, all of which meant there was easily enough time to restart there while there simply wasn’t at Monza.

Given the way the British media lost their minds at the fact that they dared go back racing at Abu Dhabi when there was comfortably enough time to do so, why was there such an expectation that they’d manage to get back racing in much tighter circumstances with less time available in this instance?

It does feel like they should change the rules to the last ten laps = red flag or something like that, as any kind of nuance over how long it takes to clear an incident and the actual details of what happens get lost to the conspiracy theorists, the disingenuous hot takes and the toxic discourse parts of the media encourage, so maybe they should just remove any and all possible ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Oh dear, the whinging from the Lewis Hamilton fanboys bitching and moaning that there should have been wheel to wheel racing on the last lap.

Its motor racing Toto, the irony of todays events, it was beautiful. Another brilliant drive from Verstappen.

Lewis getting his ass handed to him by Russel yet again, how much longer are Mercedes going to put up with a rubbish driver like Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How is it, every time there's a boring race, the default thread filler is bashing Hamilton fans? 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

The problem last season was that the rules weren't applied correctly.

They were applied correctly today but the result was zero entertainment.

They should have a look at them going forward to see what they can do to give the fans something to cheer.

Verstappen wouldn't have been caught today either way. His Red Bull is in a different league to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Lewis started 19th finished 5th only 2 places behind Russel who started 2nd, think Lewis will be round for a while yet and deservedly so.

Yes you are right there were not applied correctly from the first race in Bahrain last year were we know Hamilton was aloud to to cut track limits for nearly the entire race before Verstappen started doing near the end and was pulled up on it. Lets not mention Silverstone were Hamilton got a slap on the wrist for deliberately taking out Max and sending him to the hospital and FIA awarded him with the win not like Romain Grosjean in 2012 banned for one race and fined and nobody went to hospital that day. But the FIA statment read: The stewards regard this incident as an extremely serious breach of the regulations, which had the potential to cause injury to others.

Last year was a complete mess by the FIA and Masi was made a scapegoat for other people failures to police the season. Its not a one man show.

Furthermore its a anticlimax to finish under safety car but it happens and has happened many times before not just in F1. It was the right call because there was a mistake in the way the Safety car picked up Russell.

Today the FIA kept to procedure and we have social media and the likes of Sky F1 trying to cause division and hate because they saw a opportunity to get a few brownie points for what happened in Abu Dhabi last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's a whole 3 weeks to Singapore, feels like another season break. Verstappen only needs three wins but he could win the title at Singapore if Leclerc finishes 9th or lower, Checo 4th or lower and Russell 2nd or lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't want to get into the whole Verstappen Hamilton debate. My point was that the rules correctly applied today led to a poor spectacle. They should be reviewed to see what can be done for next season

Because they are an absolute disgrace across social media. The vile abuse thrown at Hannah Schmitz last week was disgusting, this week they are after Karun. TBH the toxic element of the Hamilton fanbase are a stain on F1.

I agree to an extant but the poor spectacle saved someones job. Because it was done right. We don't have to have a grandstand finish every race. But I feel the public are expecting it. Maybe more so for the US audience. F1 was never been so close and overtakes per season. Watching F1 for nearly forty years and it has changed drastically yes its exciting and close beacuse of aids in F1. Overtaking now does not bring the same feeling for me has it did before because of DRS. Anyways times change in all sport and we have to except because its our passion and love on a Sunday afternoon. No dought the will look at it. I hope its a positive change for the good of racing not because people didn't get there buzz for the last lap. Peace off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

De Vries did o.k. but he needed to do something exceptional, so failed the audition in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not much to say about this race, once Max was 3rd after a few laps it was game over, such has been his class this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He got a Williams into the points, what more could he have done?

Jesus, what more could he have done? We're you expecting a Williams on the podium?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Exactly, I thought De Vries drove exceptionally well. He scored more points in his first race than Latifi has scored so far in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Did you not see Hamilton's double-overtake on Yuki and Vettel? And Russel went down one place while Lewis went up 13. I'm a Red Bull supporter through and through, but credit where it's due.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement