Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

Charming.

Is there any way to block people on here?

Edit: Yes there is. All done.

Moderator or not, nastiness is really acceptable, and you should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

I'm adding back my comment:

After the rains, my panels have increased in power back to their original output when fitted in May.

Someone tried to tell me it was because the rain cooled the panels down 😂

While that might be a half decent explanation, it does not explain why the panels had full output in the early hot days, but the power decreased in time and as the panels became visibly dusty and covered in bird poo. Then it rained. The panels are shiny clean and the power went back up to their original output. What was irrelevant was the temperature, as it was not hot on the day before the rain, and it wasn't much different after.

So there we go. Proof that dust and bird poo does affect output.

And not forgetting that the supplier of my panels also reminded me the panels would occasionally need a clean to keep them at optimum output.

So as I stated before, don't call me stupid unless you can back up your own claims with proof.

So bored with this now. I came here for help and to add my own help to the forums, but it seems someone is out to get rid of me after only 8 posts. And a Moderator too.

Disgusting.

Bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's a bit of both Chancer. Dust, bird crap, shading etc will affect production, but there's many people here on the forums who've been using solar for many years and while dust will affect it......the far more prevalent and influencing factor is panel temperature. If you want the technical reason for this it's

Effect of Temperature | PVEducation

I don't typically get involved in slagging games, but as for anyone slagging you off, I think that's on you. Slave1 above was just mentioning that the only person who called you stupid was yourself where you said something like

"forget what I said, I'm stupid" -

and he was just mentioning that noone else thought that and gave you the right answer. People can be wrong (I'm wrong all the time), but the defensive nature is unwarranted man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭con747

Bye 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah 90-99% of it is temperature, We dont really get much dust build up (we dont go that long without rain/not much dust in the air...

Its on the spec sheet of every panel, Temperature goes up, output goes down,

My panels regularly clip in May and June, vs the hotter July & Aug (max ive seen on the really hot days was 5.5kW), Now as the temperatures drop outside, I should see some clipping again, although the days arent near as long as what we get in May.

Another note, This years been a lot different from last, March was exceptional, May June July nearly had all the same output.

Just variances in the weather we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Back on track. The bird poo thing does interest me since I live next to a crow rookery. Definitely in the nesting months I considered up and giving them a wash... but I didn't bother this year.

For sure next year I will do and see if I get a different result on average. Crows can leave very large splatters!

Maye for sure was my best month for high highs... think the crows had moved on by then tho.😜💩

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

It's temperature - in your case the rain lowering it. I experienced the same a couple of weeks after my install ( and plenty of times since ). Lots of people on here advised it but I contact my installers who told me the same. I then contacted Trina, the manufacturers, who also assured me temperature has a big impact on production.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My system will be installed a year this coming Saturday, so hoping to generate the 7kWh tomorrow needed to crest 5MWh for the year. The PVGIS-SARAH2 estimate was 4.47MWh, so very happy with that from a 4.83kWp system.

@ECO_Mental your system went live around the same time (same day?), right?

Getting 7Kwhr tomorrow might be close Jonathan. You've roughly a similar sized system to me (I've 5.3Kw split e/w) and currently I'm showing....

Hope you get it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Very healthy 23.6kWh today. Tomorrow looks OK, and Saturday is a cracker although I'll be out all day so going to need to run the battery to rock bottom before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah is was September last year went I got power to the house and the PV system started running but it was late October before I started logging it 25/10/21 so I have a bit to go.

The Solis web is saying I have generated 6.78 MWh since installed so I have about 6 more weeks of production. Although I use Home Assistant and ShellyEMs to log my PV now and they give me a percent or two more kWhs per month as the frequency of sampling is seconds instead of minutes through the Solis web.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

managed a whole 6.5Kwh today ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

15kWh yesterday, nothing exported, but did get a bit into the Eddi.

Consumption > production for September so far. Probably will balance out today as look nice and sunny this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Since we started in Tuesday this week our old meter is today 4 units below what it was on Tuesday.

Solar is absolutely throwing out the kw's now at 90% capacity. Remarkable buzz from generating one's own electricity

..hmm buzz is probably an apt choice of words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Another brutally over optimistic estimate for today... 37kwh my....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was a bright early morning in the Midlands but then dark clouds rolled in around 9. Hard to make worthwhile early morning PV this time of the year. Improved around 11 and more blue than clouds now. Hopefully get the car back to 100%, full hot water and 4 washes done come 6

I reckon this is about the best way in knowing the short term future.

Ireland Visible - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

And play the sequence to see if there's a break in the clouds coming.

Picked up a little, 25kwh now, battery 94%, car 70%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭allinthehead

11kwh today. 3.2kwp SE, .8 kwp NW, .8 kwp W. Pretty dull day in East Cork.

☀️

• Advertisement

Proof if it were needed that Donegal is God's country.

30.1kWh, 0.8kWh exported, 8.2kWh into the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

23.5kWh in North Co. Dub. Exported 7.9kWh, imported 1.7kWh. Car took 6.3kWh and Eddi put 3kWh into the hot water. Not a bad day. Import is due to some tweaking going on with the Solis firmware.

4.2kw today

Terrible weather, awful dull.

*shakes fist at sky*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just heavy clouds and rain non stop for 7.6kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Shocker of a day today but testament to having a decent sized battery. Just over 9kwh generated but such a difference to how September started. Next few days look fairly promising thankfully

25Kwh , yesterday .

today sunday 8Kwh

Quote a fall from grace...

Yesterday the second best of the month, today the second worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Like most it was a rotten day yesterday with 4.2kWh, today not fairing much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Not so bad here in Mayo today, getting by without having to charge the battery last night. Hopefully fully heat the HW, the battery already having reached 100%.

With the large swings day on day yields it is hard to guess when to charge overnight and when not to.

System 4.8kW.

Hmm to charge or not to charge, that is the question...

• Advertisement

Today wasn't bad imo. Off the back off 4.4kw yesterday managed 11.7 today considering the day wasn't much better, albeit not quite as dark

22.4 today , nice bit of sun ,, after miserable Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not even 3kw dull dull day here

Irish weather predictions... magic is more real than them...

Hope the irish weather prediction for you is correct.

Despite forecasts below, just not getting much this morning with high cloud. Fortuneately, I forgot to switch off overnight charging, so I had a nearly full battery this morning.

Brutal day in West Dublin, predictions nowhere near, full clouds, only about 3kwh so far

Yup - I feel your pain in D16. It does look like it will clear later as per the forecast.

Ireland Visible - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

My automation decided today was going to be "grand", so it didn't charge anything into the battery. One hopes that the 3-4 hrs this afternoon will be enough to fill it.

Would it be possible when people are posting their generations sats that they include their array size please ? It would be useful to know what to expect.

Has anyone here availed of the FIT that some energy providers are providing ?

My only gripe with that is there is no guarantees and could pull the FIT any time or greatly reduce it.

I think Energia were offering 21c/Kwh ? at least I have to say it sounds more attractive now getting a lump sum off the bill rather than having to dump energy to stuff I don't need like tonnes of Hot water.

I'd have to get a smart meter too which would mean the 3rd more expensive peak rate and not sure I could get a cheaper night rate tariff either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Re array size.. we used to, then got lazy 😂.

Regarding FIT:

If you have a day night you are meant to get a deemed (estimated) export amount. The calculation is on the Cru website, I don't have it to hand.

Nobody here has got any payments yet, but it's supposed to be back dated to February.

Rates are as follows

SSE Airtricity 14 cents / kWh

Pinergy 13.5 cents / kWh

Energia 18 cents / kWh

Electric Ireland 14 cent / kWh

Bord Gais not yet released

Flogas 20 cents / kWh

I'd be holding onto the day/night meter for now anyway.

Payments are due to start "soon" but God knows how long that would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Looks like it's picked up a bit today.

New installation since last week and got battery up and running yesterday. Relieved to be getting some of the last bits of summer sun in before the winter!

5.7kWp East West split.

12.2kw at the moment

South facing 6.5kw of panels

Went online this hour last week and have got 90kw/h for the week which is just above entire consumption for the week

20.1 yesterday, on course for probably 25 today.

Thanks for the info.

The array size is useful to know along with battery size if anyone has one.

Has anyone got a battery that can dish out the Kw when needed, say when the oven and a few hobs are on ?

Any chance install year and cost of install could be included the more info the better for those on the fence.

We need around 10 Mwh per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is that the link to add a setup to? Don't want to go messing with the wrong sheet.

• Advertisement

Thankfully the sun eventually came out in the afternoon, with only 3.25 generated by midday, 17kWh by 18:30 and almost as good as yesterday.

4.8kW South facing Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Having doubled my battery to 20kWh, I can simply ensure that I have about 50% remaining each morning, then nothing would then be wasted. I've capacity to charge without exporting while also having capacity to generate feck all and get to midnight.

So I don't need to worry at all now about the weather forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭sligopaul

Just under 22kwh yesterday in Sligo from 6.6kw SE facing . Only running since Jul but 8 out of 13 days in Sept so far over 20kwhwith 10th producing 37.8kwh, happy with that

14.7 yesterday squeezed another 100w today 14.8

Quite happy with that..

Tomorrow isnt expected to be good at all. Expecting single figures

• Advertisement
Advertisement