Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭silver_sky

1.7kWh in North Co. Dub today. I should have charged the battery last night but there wasn't actually much use today in the house anyways. Battery is at 20% now only getting just a bit above 30% during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Designed my own application.

But ultimately I use the raw information which comes from met.ie , you can give the lat/long into the Met Eireann and they will return a xml/json file which you can interpret to figure out the solar energy for the next few days. E.g.

http://metwdb-openaccess.ichec.ie/metno-wdb2ts/locationforecast?lat=xxx;long=yyy          

Substituting for some location in Dublin.

http://metwdb-openaccess.ichec.ie/metno-wdb2ts/locationforecast?lat=53.27;long=-6.32     

As you can see above, there's a reasonable correlation between the forecast and the actual. Sure, somedays it's out by a bit, but in general it enables me to set the battery charge level with a decent confidence level.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

A record (low) day yesterday of just 3.4kWh (Co. Wexford) since solar was installed in June.

We were lucky that it was our Free Weekender day from EI.

The sun is out again today. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

I've been using https://toolkit.solcast.com.au/live-forecast

Must check out your method Bullit_dodger

On day 3 of solar. Trying to figure out the best way to access the raw soliscloud data. Any pointers?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Raise a ticket with Solis and they'll give you an API key.

You're better off pulling data locally using Modbus though. Realtime and more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Brutal in Dublin today, estimate way off 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

If my panels aren't as clean as the day they were installed, then there's no hope !!!

4kwh so far, probably first night I'll have to charge from grid since the good weather.

Tomorrow looks as bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had 10 of mine tilted to 60degrees and reduced that to 37degrees at the weekend, I noticed them quite dirty compared to my fixed 45degree panels. I'll give them a gentle wash perhaps at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2.8 on the 3rd, 28 on the 4th.

This country is nuts.

• Advertisement

The load shifting has begun early this year

Post deleted.

Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

Post edited by Chancer20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

First day.

8.1kw so far at time of posting. Pretty good considering the terrible dull weather.

Every little helps

It wasn't the dust or bird poo, the heavy rain cooled down the panels thereby increasing panel voltage and in turn your kW generation

a) Your stupid assertion is your own

b) You seriously want to extrapolate a Sahara Desert study of sand dust impact on PV Generation into Ireland

It's been noted year for years that there will be a strong peak in generation immediately after rain has cooled down the panels during "Summer" months i.e. dark clouds and rain clear to sunburst = peak. This impact is much less in Winter/Spring as the panels have not gotten as hot during the day, hence April/May are the typical highest generation months

Ended up with 15.5kw yesterday which was pleasing for day 1 of full production. We used no grid yesterday.

Not so confident today with our 583w output through the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭DC999

Sweet. What size did you get in the end? Lot more than I got in Dublin yesterday

6.56kw of panels. ..I was quoted for 16 x 340s

But ended up getting greedy and went with a higher output panel 16 x 410s

Ticking over slowly now at 2kw/h

• Advertisement

Charming.

Is there any way to block people on here?

Edit: Yes there is. All done.

Moderator or not, nastiness is really acceptable, and you should know better.

I'm adding back my comment:

After the rains, my panels have increased in power back to their original output when fitted in May.

Someone tried to tell me it was because the rain cooled the panels down 😂

While that might be a half decent explanation, it does not explain why the panels had full output in the early hot days, but the power decreased in time and as the panels became visibly dusty and covered in bird poo. Then it rained. The panels are shiny clean and the power went back up to their original output. What was irrelevant was the temperature, as it was not hot on the day before the rain, and it wasn't much different after.

So there we go. Proof that dust and bird poo does affect output.

And not forgetting that the supplier of my panels also reminded me the panels would occasionally need a clean to keep them at optimum output.

So as I stated before, don't call me stupid unless you can back up your own claims with proof.

So bored with this now. I came here for help and to add my own help to the forums, but it seems someone is out to get rid of me after only 8 posts. And a Moderator too.

Disgusting.

Bye

It's a bit of both Chancer. Dust, bird crap, shading etc will affect production, but there's many people here on the forums who've been using solar for many years and while dust will affect it......the far more prevalent and influencing factor is panel temperature. If you want the technical reason for this it's

Effect of Temperature | PVEducation

I don't typically get involved in slagging games, but as for anyone slagging you off, I think that's on you. Slave1 above was just mentioning that the only person who called you stupid was yourself where you said something like

"forget what I said, I'm stupid" -

and he was just mentioning that noone else thought that and gave you the right answer. People can be wrong (I'm wrong all the time), but the defensive nature is unwarranted man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭con747

Bye 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah 90-99% of it is temperature, We dont really get much dust build up (we dont go that long without rain/not much dust in the air...

Its on the spec sheet of every panel, Temperature goes up, output goes down,

My panels regularly clip in May and June, vs the hotter July & Aug (max ive seen on the really hot days was 5.5kW), Now as the temperatures drop outside, I should see some clipping again, although the days arent near as long as what we get in May.

Another note, This years been a lot different from last, March was exceptional, May June July nearly had all the same output.

Just variances in the weather we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Back on track. The bird poo thing does interest me since I live next to a crow rookery. Definitely in the nesting months I considered up and giving them a wash... but I didn't bother this year.

For sure next year I will do and see if I get a different result on average. Crows can leave very large splatters!

Maye for sure was my best month for high highs... think the crows had moved on by then tho.😜💩

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

It's temperature - in your case the rain lowering it. I experienced the same a couple of weeks after my install ( and plenty of times since ). Lots of people on here advised it but I contact my installers who told me the same. I then contacted Trina, the manufacturers, who also assured me temperature has a big impact on production.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My system will be installed a year this coming Saturday, so hoping to generate the 7kWh tomorrow needed to crest 5MWh for the year. The PVGIS-SARAH2 estimate was 4.47MWh, so very happy with that from a 4.83kWp system.

@ECO_Mental your system went live around the same time (same day?), right?

Getting 7Kwhr tomorrow might be close Jonathan. You've roughly a similar sized system to me (I've 5.3Kw split e/w) and currently I'm showing....

Hope you get it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Very healthy 23.6kWh today. Tomorrow looks OK, and Saturday is a cracker although I'll be out all day so going to need to run the battery to rock bottom before I go.

Advertisement