Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Inflation means that the cash prices of property won't drop, as the cost of inputs will go up. Affordability may get easier if wage growth outstrips property price growth, so while the value of your house won't go down, the affordability of it may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not true.

Martin had already reneged on his promise by early March, and their was zero mention of an impending Pandemic or Covid in his reasoning.

It was in fact the cliched 'volte face' typical of Irish politics since independence - say one thing to the electorate, do another. Typical 'cute hoorism'.

I don't forsee them getting away with it next time around and they will be reminded of previous election campaigns.

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has said he would go into coalition government with Fine Gael.

He has also ruled out the possibility of going into government with Sinn Féin.

During talks with Fine Gael on Wednesday, he said there was a serious exploration of policies.

Parties need 80 seats to form a government.

Ruling nothing out

Mr Martin said there was a serious realisation that there had to be a different approach to government and did not dismiss the idea of creating a rotating Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) with Fine Gael.

"We have ruled nothing in or ruled nothing out," he told RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke.

"Fianna Fáil is upfront in saying that a government can be formed, but other political parties have to make decisions for themselves."

He said a lot of useful work could get done in the coming weeks and the formation of government does not need to take as long as 2016.

Irish election: Who will be the next taoiseach?

Sinn Féin responds to Fine Gael rally criticism

Left-wing Irish government unlikely says Micheál Martin

Mr Martin said he was not fazed by the idea of another election, but said the Irish public would not forgive them if there was a second election.

The Dáil (Irish parliament) is meeting on Thursday for the second time since the general election, but there will be no voting to elect a taoiseach.

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are holding hold parliamentary party meetings before the Dáil meets at 14:00 local time.

The result of the meeting could indicate whether talks about forming a government could commence soon.

Still preparing for opposition

Fine Gael's Paschal Donohoe has said his party were still preparing for opposition after initial talks with Fianna Fáil.

"There are many different governments possible in this Dáil which will rely on support from other parties," he said.

"Having an opportunity to hear the policies and ideas of other parties is beneficial of itself."

TDs are planning to establish a committee with the hope of making progress in reforming the Dáil. Fianna Fáil won the most seats in January's election with 38, one ahead of Sinn Fein, which had the highest number of first-preference votes.

Ruling nothing out

Mr Martin said there was a serious realisation that there had to be a different approach to government and did not dismiss the idea of creating a rotating Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) with Fine Gael.

"We have ruled nothing in or ruled nothing out," he told RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke.

"Fianna Fáil is upfront in saying that a government can be formed, but other political parties have to make decisions for themselves."

He said a lot of useful work could get done in the coming weeks and the formation of government does not need to take as long as 2016.

Irish election: Who will be the next taoiseach?

Sinn Féin responds to Fine Gael rally criticism

Left-wing Irish government unlikely says Micheál Martin

Mr Martin said he was not fazed by the idea of another election, but said the Irish public would not forgive them if there was a second election.

The Dáil (Irish parliament) is meeting on Thursday for the second time since the general election, but there will be no voting to elect a taoiseach.

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are holding hold parliamentary party meetings before the Dáil meets at 14:00 local time.

The result of the meeting could indicate whether talks about forming a government could commence soon.

Still preparing for opposition

Fine Gael's Paschal Donohoe has said his party were still preparing for opposition after initial talks with Fianna Fáil.

"There are many different governments possible in this Dáil which will rely on support from other parties," he said.

"Having an opportunity to hear the policies and ideas of other parties is beneficial of itself."

TDs are planning to establish a committee with the hope of making progress in reforming the Dáil.

Taoiseach 'likely' to form another FF-PD coalition (irishexaminer.com)

How are they being dishonest? Nobody will ever tell the truth. Mary-Lou spent the whole of the last election campaign saying she wanted a government without FF and FG, spent the first few days after the election result saying she was going to form a left-wing government, didn't have serious talks with any of the left-wing parties, and then cried for months that FF and FG had colluded to exclude her from government. She will have a real credibility issue come the next election because of the way she swings in the wind.

As for the government parties, it is fairly simple and easy to see how they can take a different path, but leave open the idea of returning together. Here is an example, based on what the political situation is now (obviously the political situation will have changed dramatically by 2025, so who knows what they will say then).

If I was Varadkar for example, I would say during the next election campaign that I was not willing to coalesce with SF under any circumstances (thereby capturing the anti-SF vote and putting FF on the back foot), but that any other option would be considered solely on whether those other parties were willing to meet key FG demands.

If I was Ryan, I would say that I was prepared to join any government that was prepared to put climate change at the top of the agenda, but that parties, particularly opposition parties, that had refused to date to commit to climate change policies must do so now as part of the election campaign.

If I was Martin, I would say that they would be open to coalition with most parties, but it would be extremely difficult to see FF doing business with SF because of the mad SF policies, but if SF were prepared to accept him as Taoiseach, to jettison mad ideas particularly around a Border Poll, and accept that they wouldn't be allowed near certain Ministries because of their past, then a coalition might be possible, but extremely unlikely. That would garner him second preferences, and stem the leak of FF votes to SF. It would be appealing to a different section of the electorate than FG.

The smaller parties - SDs, Labour - will point to that and say that none of the main parties will really go into government with SF, so the best chance of change will be to vote for the smaller parties. They will outline three or four bottom-line issues for coalition.

Next time out, SF will have a problem. If they continue with their current protest for the sake of protest rhetoric, voters will quickly conclude that there is no chance of them going into government as they are ruling out the two main parties and they could lose votes. Who will SF say that they will coalesce with? They can't credibly say they are willing to coalesce with FF or FG having castigated them from on high for years, so what will they say? That is the party with the most difficult answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

As some posters have suggested, SF can just sit back and wait, that is the cynical approach, 

Thats not accurate. It related to government making themselves look bad.

The 'offer no solutions' propaganda is a bit stale at this stage. Every opposition party has offered solutions. Not liking them doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its a very common perception. SF didn't invent it. For decades FF and FG would be referred to as two cheeks of the same arse. They are using it, but they didn't create it.

It'll be tough for FG to attack FF while the government stands and by the run up to the next election it'll be risible.

• Advertisement

It's called FFG,because there is no discernible difference in their social,or economic policies.......lads backed FG for years and years,with a pretend snobbery as being better than FF,when they after a decade of rule turned out to be as bad as, the worse excesses they accused FF of for years

Bit late to be proclaming em different now,all my life I count never pick a discernible policy for one,that wouldn't fit perfect in with the other party

In the world of real politics this is codswallop TBH

They can't credibly say they are willing to coalesce with FF or FG having castigated them from on high for years, so what will they say? That is the party with the most difficult answer to your question.

given the history of Irish electioneering and opposition. Every single coalition party will have 'castigated' the other when not in coalition.

The problem for FF and FG will be separating themselves in a campaign. As said, they will be faced with the 'same cheeks of the same arse' tag and I see that weakening their campaigns and strengtening that of opposition parties in a lot of constituencies. Labour will capitalise on it as will, the SD's, SF and independents most especially.

I for one am looking forward to how they tell us they are nor the same and see if they can arrest the ever falling share of the vote they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No the phrase was used for all TD's or all parties.

To be honest if they can last out covid I don't see anything else as big bringing them down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Different times, I think they felt obliged to stay the course... "for the good of the nation"

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I was in Austria in January. At that stage the mask had already popped up all over the airports. It was a huge discussion point but everyone totally unaware of what was coming.

Jan 31st a state of emergency was declared in Italy

we had already closed our office in Feb so no idea who wasn't talking about covid in Feb

We go back to the question asked in the OP and away from the deflection since and go back to the problem that SF have.

SF have a big problem.

They must rule out FF and FG in the election campaign as coalition partners, or else they risk antagonising the voters who want "change" and who will then drift back to PBP and others who will firmly rule out those options. SF also then have a credibility issue with more mainstream voters who may be uncomfortable with those two parties being ruled out and not wanting lunatics like Paul Murphy in power. Prevarication or equivocation on the issue and SF could lose votes to both sides. Remember, these votes for Sinn Fein are not longterm hardcore support, they have supported them on a whim, and can change again on a whim.

If that was the case once covid was over people would have thrown them out. For all the bluster online from SF supporters the majority don't want an election.

They even done a mini poll on boards and over 60% of people said they didn't want one. So take that as you want.

Will the government last the full term? to be honest I have no idea. I don't see why not but then again I don't know if they have any major secrets to bring it all down and I don't know the future. If we have a huge crash and it all goes to pot I am sure people views might change.

It will be more interesting if we do have a big crash, in that situation SF will actually have to come up with some policies that add together, instead of the magic money tree which they seem to think exists. Plus voters will be more concerned with what the figures are in the manifesto's. If we had an election now, people would be more interested in what feebies they think they are getting.

Interesting times ahead

You are under researched. SF have already said they will talk to anybody about coalition and it hasn't harmed them in polling.

Mary Lou has also said this as I remember.

If SF maintain the lead they have into an election campaign, what they are going to do after an election will be well established.

The focus will be on FG and FF and their answers/or lack of, will be potentially weakening for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Sf in government next time out... premature talk, I don't see it myself.

Dan.

Go way with your facts and logic🤣

If sinn fein can go into government with SDLP,uup and dup all at same time,they can go in with anyone🥲

Lot to be said for constitutional enshirning the d'hondt system into the dail,the best functioning county council's have it

I have yet to see you post anything which doesn't mean FF and FG are weakened and SF are in a better position 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 39,687 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That sentence from that article is the most important because if a party or as has been for years now in Ireland parties don’t have the number for an majority(which I know changes up and down), then talk of who parties won’t go into power with is not that relevant, and whether they make it a red line or not isn’t the most pressing issue for me as a voter.

@Blanc152 I have to say your comment about Mary Lou not having serious talks last time out with the other left wing parties is a bit unfair. I mean the judean peoples front and peoples front of Judea could agree on more than the collection of left wing parties we have. I mean they can’t even agree on a name.

The party that gets the most votes usually are in the strongest position. That is their mandate, their strength, as it were. I see SF finishing as lead party, like pollsters, the public and most media. It's inevitable at this stage.

What the electorate (or a share of it, hardened support won't be bothered) will want to know is in the event of that,(SF, again winning the popular vote race) what are they gonna do?

All parties supporters will want to know.. For FF and FG they will want to know, honestly, what they intend, will it be like last time with party's blithely ignoring campaign statements the minute the vote is cast and suiting themselves or will the genuinely listen to the electorate and negociate on a programme for government.

I think FG and FF have voters who will not vote for another coalition of the two of them TBH. Back bench sentiment and discomfort is all you need to observe to see that. That is a weak position for any leader.

Well, SF may have said that in one interview, but that was Louise O'Reilly flying a kite. The heat of an election campaign may tell differently e.g. if Mary-Lou is asked how she can go into government with Leo having called so vociferously for his resignation, she will be squirming, then the follow-up as to how that means change will be even more difficult.

The focus on FG and FF is for another thread, this is about whether it is possible for SF to form a government and the dilemmas for them, I am not going to be dragged off-topic.

• Advertisement

I get your point, but talking to senior Greens, I have been told that SF were never serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭RoTelly

An election would have to be called. None of the 3 government parties want an election.

This idea of the magic numbers tree or what every way you want to put down SF all I would say to you is that the current government seem to have a magic money tree as well.

You seem to think that all other parties (ex SF) have realistic plans or have solid policies.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Well you are the one missing SF saying they have no issue with coalition and inventing problems for them that don't exist. They are at 36% in the polls and rising.

You can't just keep making stuff up. 😁

None of the three want an election they will be blamed for causing. That's a different thing. Hence circling the wagons around wrongdoing and refusing to criticise or sanction errant TD's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why would any of them want an election full stop given current polling?

Because all 3 know it is only going to get worse and there is a point politically were you consider cutting your losses.

Nobody "knows" it is going to get worse as its not something anyone can really know. But I would strongly contest the viewpoint anyway - the Greens need to stay in government as long as possible to actually get through any of their proposals, the housing completions are increasing, they'll want to be in power when ground is broken on the metro, obviously from FG's point of view they are about to get the Taoiseach role back.

There is no reason to suspect things will get worse, nor any reason for any of the parties to pull the plug early. Which is not to suggest it is impossible (I wouldn't put anything past FF, who are most likely to do so) but those suggesting it is inevitable seem very wide of the mark to me.

SF we are going to hire more consultants. SF we are going to tax everyone paid over 100k more.

So first off which consultants are you hiring? and why would they come when you are going to tax them out of it? when asked that question they couldn't answer.

SF we are going to tax the rich. SF we are going to get rid of LPT

LPT is the only tax a lot of rich actually pay so thats a tax break for the rich. Who is going to pay for the tax break the rich just got off SF?

That's just the start of the ridiculous ideas we have seen in the last 12 months from SF. So yes it is a magic money tree because absolutely nothing adds up.

The best of course was the, we are going to tax everyone over 140k. Oh wait, hold on, sorry that wasn't 140k that is 100k. Whats it next week? well nobody knows. That's a 28% decrease, now do you honestly trust them to handle the countries finances when they got that so far wrong?

I never said anything was inevitable. Just saying that pulling the plug will look attractive at times.

I cannot see any scenario where it will not get worse for the coalition with what is headed our way. Off topic anyway

• Advertisement

You said it was only going to get worse. That is a statement with an air of inevitability about it.

This winter will be difficult for sure, all the more reason to suspect they will want to get well past it before the next election.

Advertisement