Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewable Energy Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That’s a good but not great Summer orientation as the maximum high Summer angle is 60degrees, that would be very poor for the remainder of the year and would have virtually no run off. It’s likely a DIY enthusiast who’s maximising their PV collection but payback questionable. Having said that, if I was “out the country” and had an acre I’d have an A frame car port facing E/W filled with 8 560w panels (hitting the market this month) each side

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What makes you say that? Near flat is good as it gets sun all day around. My shed is near flat. Covered with 14*375wp. Never get that maximum but get most of it quite a lot

This explains it better, I'm just saying it's not optimal, same as North is not optimal for us...but you got to work with what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

You may both be right. I think unkel suggests if you plug it into a calculator the gap between optimum angle and a small slope will be minimal?

😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Heres a near perfect day on a hot august day.

low slope max 12degrees, very walkable. NE/SW 4.3 kwp each string.

and one of the smoothest days in May

Flat roofs work really well in summer, you just dont get it on the good days in winter. bad days.. well it doesnt really make a difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

7.5KW system facing 210 degress, annual totals as per https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/index.php

10degree slope 6441KW

35degree slope 6785KW

40degree slope 6682KW.

Given how completely different such setups are, the difference is small enough that most users would not notice, and factors seasonality and weather records.

That said, I would add a little more slope to my pergola too 😎

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You need a solid 10 deg slope anyway, just for rainwater runoff.

@poker--addict - thanks for the figures, you've proven that there is feck all in it. You should just work with the roofs you have, any money spent on making a different angle or even making it adjustable is just wasted really (unless you are extremely limited for space)

Also flat will give more in morning and evening than bigger angle, so it might even be possible that the 6441kWh will make you more money than the 6682kWh where you either lose more, push more through your battery (20% loss round trip on an AC side battery system), or have more FIT and less self use

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A few of you may know Damien Maguire's YouTube channel for his ICE to EV conversions (*looks at @unkel*), but his latest video has lots of interesting DIY renewable energy projects.

I only recently found out that both Damien and myself used the same inverter roughly at the same time for both our first grid-tied PV systems, about 5 years ago 😁

This lad - I think I paid GBP50 for it on eBay 😂

You can see Damien's one in the video above.

Post edited by unkel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Christ how many regulations is he breaking in that video, could play bingo with that

Most of the stuff he is showing is DC off grid. There are no regulations for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Normally I'd tend to agree with you mate......but using earth cable as phase.......hmmm, that pushes the boundary of what even a cowboy like me would do!!

Yeah I know it's off grid and he's probably the only one to be looking at it and he knows, but still....electricity will kill you stone dead if not treated right. Good wiring is a skill worth doing . I suspect he may even have done it for a laugh to invoke a response on the video?

Still though I'll give him credit, he's progressed the field of information in the sector and that in itself is worth acknowledging. Respect on that front

Working on CT clamps in the Zappi2 today, this is what it looks like with cover off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hi slave1. A rubber grommet on rear cable entry/exit would be as good addition as the edge of that cut-out would wear though the cable easy enough.

There's an unseen sealed piece to the rear. Thankfully in installer left the unused CAT6 TP in the body of the Zappi2 so I had a two minute job to connect up the third CT sensor, would have been sooooo messy otherwise. As a rule of thumb I always leave as much cable as possible spooled, you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There isn't a whole pile to them after.

I wonder would this do as an alternative? https://www.tindie.com/products/edgetech/highly-integrated-evse-ev-charger-controller/

obviously you don't get the nice housing & leads with it but its potentially a whole lot cheaper (I am no expert though as I have neither EV nor charger)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭steamdave

Back in the summer when it was hot, someone posted a pic of their cooling system for their inverter. That got my interest and so over the previous couple of months I've gathered together the few bits to make up my version. I acquired 2 brand new Papst fans (about the same size as a computer cooling fan, but mains powered) that were being thrown out ! I had to BUY a thermostat which nearly broke the bank at 6EU. the bits of cable and the plywood frame came from the 'always handy' corner.

So here is the system ready to keep the inverter cool when the warm weather arrives. I've set the thermostat to come on at 35 deg. There is a 40mm gap behind the fans for natural convection from the inverter and the fans blow directly onto the air duct.

I did wonder about getting the fans to suck up air rather than blow. I'll see how it performs and change over if I think it necessary.

Roll on the warm weather an some decent generation. I don't like the cold and wet dark days.

Dave

I think you need the fans to blow upwards. This basically sucks the rising hot air out of the inverter quicker than it does by natural convection.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭steamdave

That was my initial thought, but I wondered whether that would draw much hot air out of the inverter. There are no air ducts apart from the one on top. It will only take a few minutes to change the fans from blow to suck.

Dave

• Advertisement

Let us know which works best! Might not be much in it. It is definitely the way to cool a PC case, bottom blow in, top blow out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have a similar setup on top of my inverter in a suck configuration. I read the inverter temperature over Modbus and trigger the fan (via a Zigbee smart plug) once the temperature reaches 30°C, and disable once the temperature is 25°C or below for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I do the same but when it hits 40c and stop fans at 30c, pushing air down on it works just fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mine is pushing air down too and is fine at dropping the temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

8.88kw array

10 kw battery

Outdoor in lean too..think I'll be invested in fans and a thermostat for summer time

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

Bono looks great well done..did you install the extra sockets, I'm just wondering could I do this action myself. Cheers Happy new year

I'm the same on my Home Cinema Amp, it's a big boy and I have a separate cooler sitting right on top of it sucking the hot air out (versus blowing down into it). I don't like the concept of blowing down towards, that would also be pushing dust etc towards the unit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I have 2 little fans on my AVR sucking up and out. Bit different maybe with the inverter as its just blowing the heat down through the heat sink and out the bottom rather than directly into the unit.

I'll switch mine around next time I'm up anyway. Its just sat on top rather than mounted on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Any pictures of the hardware side of things? fans and mount. I think I need to do similar before the summer. Need to get another socket installed up there though, just have one for the mechanical ventilation.

• Advertisement

Will post a picture next time I'm up in the attic, but basically the twin 120mm version of this with rubber standoffs sitting on top of the inverter/heatsink.

Someone else has the same fan too. Possibly @SD_DRACULA or @DrPhilG.

Advertisement