Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Renewable Energy Photo Thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

That’s a good but not great Summer orientation as the maximum high Summer angle is 60degrees, that would be very poor for the remainder of the year and would have virtually no run off. It’s likely a DIY enthusiast who’s maximising their PV collection but payback questionable. Having said that, if I was “out the country” and had an acre I’d have an A frame car port facing E/W filled with 8 560w panels (hitting the market this month) each side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

What makes you say that? Near flat is good as it gets sun all day around. My shed is near flat. Covered with 14*375wp. Never get that maximum but get most of it quite a lot

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

This explains it better, I'm just saying it's not optimal, same as North is not optimal for us...but you got to work with what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

You may both be right. I think unkel suggests if you plug it into a calculator the gap between optimum angle and a small slope will be minimal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭ graememk

Heres a near perfect day on a hot august day.

low slope max 12degrees, very walkable. NE/SW 4.3 kwp each string.

and one of the smoothest days in May

Flat roofs work really well in summer, you just dont get it on the good days in winter. bad days.. well it doesnt really make a difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

7.5KW system facing 210 degress, annual totals as per https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/index.php

10degree slope 6441KW

35degree slope 6785KW

40degree slope 6682KW.

Given how completely different such setups are, the difference is small enough that most users would not notice, and factors seasonality and weather records.

That said, I would add a little more slope to my pergola too 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭ bullit_dodger

You need a solid 10 deg slope anyway, just for rainwater runoff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

@poker--addict - thanks for the figures, you've proven that there is feck all in it. You should just work with the roofs you have, any money spent on making a different angle or even making it adjustable is just wasted really (unless you are extremely limited for space)

Also flat will give more in morning and evening than bigger angle, so it might even be possible that the 6441kWh will make you more money than the 6682kWh where you either lose more, push more through your battery (20% loss round trip on an AC side battery system), or have more FIT and less self use

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jonathan

A few of you may know Damien Maguire's YouTube channel for his ICE to EV conversions (*looks at @unkel*), but his latest video has lots of interesting DIY renewable energy projects.

I only recently found out that both Damien and myself used the same inverter roughly at the same time for both our first grid-tied PV systems, about 5 years ago 😁

This lad - I think I paid GBP50 for it on eBay 😂

You can see Damien's one in the video above.

Post edited by unkel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭ SteelyDanJalapeno

Christ how many regulations is he breaking in that video, could play bingo with that

Most of the stuff he is showing is DC off grid. There are no regulations for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭ bullit_dodger

Normally I'd tend to agree with you mate......but using earth cable as phase.......hmmm, that pushes the boundary of what even a cowboy like me would do!!

Yeah I know it's off grid and he's probably the only one to be looking at it and he knows, but still....electricity will kill you stone dead if not treated right. Good wiring is a skill worth doing . I suspect he may even have done it for a laugh to invoke a response on the video?

Still though I'll give him credit, he's progressed the field of information in the sector and that in itself is worth acknowledging. Respect on that front

Working on CT clamps in the Zappi2 today, this is what it looks like with cover off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ THE ALM

Hi slave1. A rubber grommet on rear cable entry/exit would be as good addition as the edge of that cut-out would wear though the cable easy enough.

There's an unseen sealed piece to the rear. Thankfully in installer left the unused CAT6 TP in the body of the Zappi2 so I had a two minute job to connect up the third CT sensor, would have been sooooo messy otherwise. As a rule of thumb I always leave as much cable as possible spooled, you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ Ubbquittious

There isn't a whole pile to them after.

I wonder would this do as an alternative? https://www.tindie.com/products/edgetech/highly-integrated-evse-ev-charger-controller/

obviously you don't get the nice housing & leads with it but its potentially a whole lot cheaper (I am no expert though as I have neither EV nor charger)

Advertisement