Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Dropped the id3 in for a second go at the update last Wednesday, got a call this afternoon to say all done and then just picked it up this evening before closing , all a bit of a rush...(had id4 as courtesy car,so that was fine)

System information telling me that ID Software is 2.3.0....

Surely that means no update has been done!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That’s normal. As long as the numbers below it say 0912 (not 0910) it means it’s 2.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

the updates seem to be running more smoothly now. I might book ours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Same as that. I presume they will eventually call me to have it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Thanks KCross, it states 0912 so should mean it's done!

Took 9 working days over two stints

• Advertisement

A little update on the Tour 5 battery capacity.

@32,000 Kms

74.400 Kwh ( max capacity ) @21 deg Battery temp.

@36,350 Kms

@100% charge and @17.5 Deg C battery temp, available capacity (100% charge according to dash) 67.950 Kwh and Max Capacity 73.500 Kwh

@100% charge on the dash real charge is 95% which would be pretty normal I suppose as it holds back some capacity which it's telling me is 5%.

The difference in total capacity I would assume is related to the difference in battery temp.

Interestingly it tells me "dynamic limit for charging 131 Amps" which I assume to mean is the limit for fast charging which at what 440 volts would be

around 57 Kw which would tie in with the max I've seen at ionity of 60 Kw.

Cell voltages are spot on so no weak cells, all around 4.15 per cell.

Although, weak cells can also only make themselves known under load and at lower states of charge and can show perfectly equal voltage to the rest of the cells at 100% charge.

So moral of the story is loss is showing in under 5% over 10.5 months and 36,350 Kms, the car was built in July collected mid October.

The BMW i3 showed no loss what so ever after nearly 5 years and around 140,000 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Took car in for update on wed...All done on thurs by 10.30.

Blackwater Motors Cork.

So far no glitches..

Model. ID3 Pro Life.. 58kw. 2021

For those waiting to get a call..Better to make that call to the garage yourself and book the car in before the winter.

From taking the battery reading the other day this is What I have observed, seemingly the BMS is holding 5% on top of the other buffer, so the 82 Kwh leaves you with77 Kwh but you seemingly have 5% less than that so when new it appears that only 69.3 Kwh.

At 100% charge it shows SOC display 100%, SOC BMS 95% that's when fully charged.

Now after nearly 11 months ( where did the time go ? ) and nearly 37,000 Kms says I have 73.5 Kwh as max energy content of the traction battery and 67.950 Kwh.

"max energy content of the traction battery" means what kwh you have at a particular charge % which in my case was fully charged.

so when new looks like 73 Kwh is only available out of 82 Kwh.

Now I have 67.95 Kwh when fully charged including 5% withheld on top of the other buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

I got mine sorted last month, it went smoothly. Its a good job you did not get bridgestones the id3 loaner had 15000km and bald rear tyres.

I'm at 37K Kms and still have some thread left on the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

What tyres are you using?. I have original bridgestones with 22k and a bit left.

Have you called the dealer ? I just sent an email asking if It can be booked in again since they cancelled, maw ya they can't get the 12v battery, probably more to do with the fact there was issues with updates.

I've requested a battery check because it seems to be loosing capacity far faster than I had thought, now, I know, I'm basing that on the BMW i3 which lost absolutely no capacity in 4 years and 143,000 Kms but all the same no harm to have it checked out.

I want to know why I only have 67 Kwh available from 73.5 total available capacity, when fully charged it shows 100% but the BMS is set to charge to 95% of the available 73 Kwh and I find this puzzling.

At the end of the day after nearly 11 months and 37,000 Kms I have 67 kwh available out of an 82 Kwh battery, 77 Kwh available new but really only around 73 Kwh since it won't give you that 5% when fully charged.

Not really happy about the extra capacity being withheld to be honest. If the battery degradation continues at this rate I'll have lost 12 Kwh after 3 years giving me 65 Kwh capacity and 61.5 Kwh available. Still plenty for most I'm sure but to make the point again that the BMW i3 33 Kwh didn't loose as much as a Kwh in 4 years, actually the car was 4 years 7 months old and 143,000 Kms.

I'd be interested Fitz to do a report on your battery ? and anyone else who would volunteer or get the dongle and app themselves ?

The more data we have the better for all models.

It's a pity I didn't do a test when I got the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

The climate controls are a nice improvement since the dealer update. (Smart climate) and looks like 2 zone control added.

Did anyone get the ota update yet?

Hi mad lad, is your driving all city roads, motorway or country?

Do you still get roughly the same GOM reading at 100%?

Are all the cells evenly balanced?

If yes to the 2 above questions then you won't likely get any satisfaction from VW.

My guess is that the 77kWh available figure means its available to the BMS, not necessarily available to you on Day 1. VW may want to hide the degradation and slowly release the hidden bit as the battery degrades while still maintaining your range. Its the clever thing to do as the vast majority wont be looking at CANBUS data and want to know they can do the same journey on Day 1000 as Day 1.

Now, RuskyRusky had a real degradation problem... faulty cells which were unbalanced and dragging the pack down and it was quite obvious from looking at his canbus data. He needed a SoH check and is getting modules replaced. Not sure you do if you still have the same range and the cells are all good.

All cell voltages are spot on no imbalance.

It does seem that 77 Kwh was the max available battery capacity at the start from what I have read and seen similar data using same app so definitely capacity loss, so now I have 73.5 Kwh available max.

But for the beginning it appears that no matter what capacity you have charging to 100% only charges to 95% of that max available capacity which in my case is not 73.5 Kwh which leaves me only with 67 Kwh when fully charged because of that 5% the BMS.

Not really happy about that.

I'll know more on the way home from this blanch site, charging up at 11 Kw now from 12 % when I plugged in around 5:10 am, I know any capacity loss in reality will be small but it's degrading faster than I had anticipated.

Only I'm too mean I would drain the battery until the car stopped close to home of course and plug in and see what the charge point pulls from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Hi Mad Lad, what brand tyre are you using?.

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance but I find them quite a noisy tyre to be honest, grand on the resurfaced M7 and N7 which is a proper road Surface.

But got around 37,000 Kms on the rear now, need replacing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My car is now 3 weeks at the dealership waiting for the modules to be replaced. Going to request a SOH test when they finished with it. Will test with donge as well:)

I always think replacing modules is a bad idea they have to be too closely matched with identical internal resistance and voltage and age.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the whole battery swap would be nice but unfortunately it's not up to me. They have some balancing tool to balance the cells, so hopefully it'll be OK. I would be more worried that they won't seal the battery pack properly. BTW intially they "didn't know" that there were 2 battery tests. One is a fast one just gives you the amount energy charged/discharged from the battery and the breakdown of slow/fast charging. The second one is ab 6-8h long and will give you SOH as % (don't think they'll five the actual capacity in kWh). So they were never been able to get he SOC number for my battery, hence the 2 modules have to replaced.

Well hopefully they fix it soon and it turns out alright.

Do you plan to keep it long ?

I'm quite surprised at how much capacity was lost in 11 months. Do I notice it ? probably not yet.

I might have to keep it longer than I expected as prices of new car gone through the roof while the spec is gone down. ID.4 will be 20k more than I paid for ID.3...

Yeah I'm thinking I'll be keeping mine a good while longer too but 5% battery degradation in less than a year worries me, 15% after 3 years if the trend continues which means I'll have around 58 kwh usable after 3 years out of 73 Kwh when new inc the 5% withheld when fully charged. It's still plenty for most people but in fairness is it what we really should expect in a modern EV this level of degradation ? "it's still plenty until you want to drive the longer distance, you pay a lot more for the extra battery capacity for to end up with the usable Kwh of the 58 Kwh and in 3 years ? f1ck that !

God only knows what 58 Kwh owners will end up with at that rate, I calculate 46 Kwh usable inc the 5% withheld when fully charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

I thought it was normal enough to have a little degradation in year 1, then a slow up after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Might be unique to the 77kW batteries? My 58kWh 1st Edition was still giving me same range after 2 years and 38,000km.

You know degradation is higher in the first year and then slows down? Extrapolating the first year for every year and suggesting you will have 15% degradation after 3yrs isn't reality unless you have a battery fault.

I also wouldn't trust everything you see in the app. The Max capacity figure it reports is suspect in my view. The app developer doesn't really know what that value is.

Your test really should be based on measuring what it takes to charge from 0-100% and is that the same today as it was when you bought it new. In addition, are you getting the same range from it... if you are then all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think I expected too much after the BMW i3 94 Ah, that was simply exceptional.

However, the dealer got back to me and said that the new software addresses some issues with range which I'm assuming means the BMS. Now that could have been to keep me quiet but we'll see how it goes.

They said they can wait until they have an ID3 but could be a while so he asked if I'd be interested in an ICE and I said sure as long as it's not a 3 cylinder Polo. 😯

• Advertisement

As I said above, I was probably expecting far too much after the BMW i3 so yeah you'd expect some degradation but wasn't expecting so much. We'll see what happens after the software update.

I'm too mean to run it to empty and charge it on my own electricity lol. Might have to do it though, the wallbox records the Kwh sent to the car but that would be total energy including inefficiency.

Advertisement