Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tall Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭py

Another week done. I've been trying to get out for my runs as close to peak temperatures each day to take advantage of the heatwave we're in right now. Expecting race day conditions to be very similar to those in Dublin this past week. Nothing exciting to report. Disciplined is very boring but it's getting me closer to where I need to be.

Monday

Rest day

Tuesday

60' easy - 10Km, 6:07/Km, 143avg HR - Early morning sluggish run. Unexciting route. Just glad to get it done before work commitments.

Wednesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:10/Km, 140avg HR - got out at lunchtime with as much of my race kit as possible. Felt good throughout. A bit of a different route to normal which was nice.

Thursday

60' easy - 10.5Km, 6:01/Km, 142avg HR - Just another easy run in the heat. Ticking the days off.

Friday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:02/Km, 140avg HR - Trying to enhance my attempted heat adaption so I added a long sleeve base layer hunger the short sleeved running jersey. HR consistent throughout with no real spikes as time passed.

Physio visit - I had remnants of a dead leg on my right quad. Whilst it wasn't causing any issues on my runs, the maranoia made me book a session to get it worked out. All good now.

Saturday

65' easy - 11Km, 6:01/Km, 146avg HR - another late run in the heat. Added 3/4 length leggings and snood to yesterday's long sleeve base layer. Definitely felt the heat in this attire. Kept the water intake steady throughout.

Sunday

1hr45mins very easy - 16Km, 6:35/Km, 133avg HR - Final long ish run of the taper. I'd to try out some race day tactics like mixing maurten on the go and also applying sun cream. I got some run/walks in on the hills too. I think this pace is close to race day pace. I'll know more when I see what the conditions have in store on race day. I started to look at long range weather forecasts and they were all different. I have ceased torturing myself. No more looking at them.

Total

69Km for the week. 2 weeks until Comrades and just 8 days until departure 😊 A lot of planning/research being done at the moment with regards to what I need to pack, shops near the hotel, local sports massage upon arrival, race day bag etc. My schedule for the week is drawn up and being updated with great enthusiasm every time I remember something else needs to be added 😅 Feels like I need to wrap myself up in cotton wool and start interacting with the kids via Zoom from the home office to avoid any sniffles they might come across on their daily adventures 🤣 Pure excitement at this stage of the process. Over 1,000 days since I booked it. Never thought it would be here but it almost is (touch wood).

An uneventful week from a running perspective which was great.

Monday - planned rest day

Tuesday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:10/Km, 139avg HR

Wednesday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:58/Km, 140avg HR

Thursday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:04/Km, 149avg HR

Friday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:01/Km, 133avg HR

Saturday - 30'easy/Poolbeg parkrun - 5Km, 6:08/Km, 135avg HR

Sunday - 60' easy - 10Km, 5:59/Km, 137avg HR

Total

58Km for the week. One week until Comrades. Pacing the 7 year old to a parkrun/5Km PB was the highlight of the week. He was delighted. I was a very proud papa so we stopped off for sugary treats on the way home in Marlay Park. Poolbeg parkrun was quieter and flatter 😀

The bags are all packed. I need to double check everything is in there today. Don't worry, the Dublin jersey is packed 😉 I start my travels tomorrow and arrive on Wednesday. Only a 1 hour time difference so I am hoping to sleep on the main flight (3 altogether) to keep my sleep pattern somewhat normal.

Really light week ahead of race day. Nothing beyond 45' easy and a couple of rest days to allow for travel. There's a parkrun about 500m from my hotel so that's where I'm planning to run on Saturday. From what I've read, there are usually close to 2k people in attendance on Comrades weekend.

Race day tomorrow. I'm traveling up to the start line in Pietermaritzburg a day early to get an extra hour or two of sleep on race day. Start time is 5:30am so sitting on a bus for 2 hours from Durban at 2am was not appealing. Plenty of international representation out here. The hotel I'm staying in its full of runners from all corners of the globe. Breakfast is filled with jerseys from running events or athletics clubs. Then there's the famous Comrades red Toyota caps that can be seen everywhere. Taxi drivers, hotel workers and everyone else all wishing the runners the best of luck. A fantastic buzz about the city.

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:08/Km, 144avg HR

Started traveling at lunch time. Sat on Dublin tarmac for 3 hours which did nothing for my anxiety levels. Another hour and I'd have missed my connection to Johannesburg. I started to notice other participants at the gate in Heathrow. I got chatting to a few on the flight you Durban, all very nice people with many Comrades medals in their locker.

Wednesday - Rest day - arrived in Durban at 11am. Got settled in to the hotel at about 2pm. Sports massage early in the evening to relax the muscles after a days worth of travel.

Thursday - 35' easy - 6Km, 6:02/Km, 142avg HR

I got down to the expo to grab my number before midday as it gets busier on Friday/Saturday as more people arrive in to town. Did a quick loop of the expo, stopping to look only way the official apparel, then headed back to the hotel.

Friday - 40' easy with 5 * 20" Strides

Drop bags dropped to the 3rd party vendor who was recommended to me. I'll have a bag with supplies at 30/50/70Km.

Saturday - North Beach parkrun - 5Km, 6:08/Km, 138avg HR - first time doing a parkrun outside of Ireland.

It's a straight out and back along the North Beach promenade and less than 500m from my hotel. The sheer number of runners/walkers/cyclists (in additions to 800 doing parkrun) along this stretch meant it was fairly stressful trying to navigate the 5Km. It may have been wiser to go a few Km away to a quieter event. Escaped without injury.

Total

25Km for the week. Less than 24 hours to go. I'm excited but very very nervous too. I've followed the training that was required so that is settling me somewhat. I've got a pace and fuel plan. I've covered the best part of 2,200Km for the year thus far and gone up/down plenty of hills. PMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck with it, you will smash it🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Tomorrow's been a long time coming! The very best of luck M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

All the best! Looking forward to hearing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Very best of luck Mark.. You have the training done..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated. Made it home in 11:38. I'll do a report of the race soon. Just waiting on a burger and cider 😃

• Advertisement

Comrades 2022 race report

Comrades race - 90k from Pietermaritzburg (PMB) to Durban. This year was a "Down" year which sees you do more descending (~1,800m) than ascending (~1,110m). There is a 12 hour time limit with no exceptions. If you're a second past the 12 hour mark, they don't allow you to cross the finish line. Evidence here and here of how brutal it is.

The goal - finish within the time limit. A stretch goal of sub 11. Different medals are given to different finishing times.

Race morning - I wake up at 1am which is 2 hours earlier than I would have liked. There's a Christmas morning type excitement in my bones so I can't get back asleep. Read a book until I'm ready to start my final race prep. Consume a maurten 320 mix about 2.5 hours pre race. My pre booked taxi arrives at 3:45am and I'm at the start line at 4am. Drop the bag off (will come back to this later) and make my way my preassigned pen - G. These are assigned based on your qualifying time. The quicker your qualifying time, the closer you are to the start line. As race time starts ticking from the gun, you can shave a few minutes off your overall time by being in a higher seeded pen. Apart from my race kit, I have a hoodie to stay warm and a stolen airline pillow to keep me from getting too cold whilst sitting down on the ground for the next hour. Others close by have taken this approach so I am grateful to the Australian race ambassador for the tip. I am 1 row of people away from the front of my pen. Good banter amongst those that arrive early. The pens start to fill up pretty quickly.

5:15am - they start opening up the pens from the very back. H pen racers move right behind G, and so forth until all racers are bunched together. I've been warned by a South African lady beside me that this will get tight and to have my elbows at the ready. I see people from H pen move up ahead of me, whilst I see people from the pens originally ahead of me start to move behind as they were like a deer in the headlights when the pen behind them opened up. I'm still in an OK start position.

5:20am - they start with usual start line ritual. South African National Anthem, Shosholoza, Chariots of Fire, Max Trimborn's cockerel crow and finally the cannon/gun to start the race. The race crowd is buzzing during this. Lots of singing. Then the cockerel crow sounds and the race is a few seconds away.

0-10Km - the cannon goes, everyone cheers. Where I am, nobody moves. It's going to take several minutes to get across the finish line. Goosebumps and adrenaline aplenty but there's nowhere to go. I trudge slowly in the crowd towards the start. Clock is ticking. It takes over 5 minutes for me to reach the start line. Running commences and then quickly stops as there's a slow down ahead. A hundred metres or so later as we're finally running. There are hundreds of people lining the streets in PMB supporting the runners. Helicopters above and TV cameras scattered along the initial stretch. First Km is slightly downhill and then we hit our first hill. Light jogging up the hill but soon get in to my plan (and recommended to me and everyone else by official coaching team) of walking the uphills and running the flats (come back to this later) and downhills. Most people have discarded their outer layers over the fence at the start line but some have opted to just drop them by their side as we are a few Kms in to the race. There is massive congestion still. The first water stop is chaos. People running across from one side to the other to grab water/energy drinks. I've got my running vest with maurten gels and drink mix so it is rare I have to collect refreshments from these early on. It is very congested and some of the surfaces are pretty poor. Potholes or damaged road from trucks who had no business travelling on them. Very early in the race I know I'm going to have to visit a portaloo. I hang on as long as possible but with the congestion, I do this just shy of the 10Km mark on the descent of Polly Shorts. Between queuing and doing my business, I lose probably 3-4 minutes of time.

11-20Km - After the pit stop, we're going up/down Little Pollys before climbing for the remainder of this 10Km section in order to reach the highest point in the race on Umlaas Road. We cross the first cut off at just under 2 hours, 40 minutes to spare. The time cut offs are generous early on to allow for the undulating terrain and added distance for those in the lower seeded pens. This is located at Lynnfield Park at at about the 16Km point on the course. There are still lots and lots of people lining the route. BBQ, beer and wine all being consumed at 7/8am in the morning. Legends. The maurten mix/gels are going down nicely. We're quite early on in the race but I see one woman kneeling down hurling her guts up and several people stopping to stretch. It is going to be a long day for them. I also notice several runners running barefoot or wearing sandals. I'm feeling good physically and mentally. I need to stop during this section to adjust my right shoe as it feels tight where the laces are tied. Probably 60-90 seconds lost from slowing down and sorting it.

21-30Km - This 10Km is full of rolling hills. This section is net negative in terms of elevation but the hills are relentless. There is no flat section. It is either up or down. About the 25Km mark, there's an incident, will touch on later. At this point I have been chatting with many South Africans, all of whom are exceptionally friendly. The beauty of the race numbers provided by the organisers is that they are packed with information. Name, number of races completed, local/internation runner etc. As this is my first year I had a 0 for number of runs completed so I had runners and spectators wish me well. Prior to leaving Ireland, I got a family member to stitch two small Irish flags to the front of my running vest. "Come on Ireland" was heard throughout the 90Km. Temperature had reached about 20 degrees at this point and the sun was high in the sky beaming down. At the end of this section, I picked up my first drop bag. The organisers don't provide support so "seconding" (race support) is seen as a way to help out your friends/family/club runners whilst they are traversing the route. As I traveled solo, I acquired the services of a third party who have 3 locations along the route (30/50/70Km) where I can pick up my supplies. Again, big thank you to the Australian race ambassador this info. Load my supplies in to my running vest and I'm on my way.

31-40Km - At the next ascent that I am walking, I dig out some supples that I just picked up. I apply sun screen and sort out a maurten drink mix. I also hit the Cato Ridge 31Km cut off with 50 minutes to spare. It is this section where I start finding the ache on my foot coming back. Not a show stopper right now and hopefully doesn't develop in to one later. With the weather still a little warm, I have been taking my cap on/off depending on how I am feeling. One particular town we pass through was very warm and an old South African lady tells me to "Put on your darn hat". I do as I'm told. There was a bit more descending through this section but we're approaching the infamous Inchanga towards the end.

41-50Km - As we're ascending Inchanga, I look at my watch and see that we're at about 5hrs 15mins of running. The leaders will be at the finish right about now and I've not reached the halfway point. Not disheartening but makes you realise how insanely gifted/athletic those people are. I tell myself that I am getting to spend more time on the roads, thus getting better value than them :) Inchanga is a tough climb for about 2.5Km though the descent the other side is lovely and allows me to open up the legs a little bit. 1 full marathong done at this point. On this descent, I take a snap of the 47Km to go sign and send it to a few friends/groups who are following me online... "full + parkrun to go". That's another strange (evil imo :D ) thing with this race, the signage goes in reverse. So at the start, the first sign you see is "89Km to go". You really do need to keep your head in the game or you will get yourself in a rut. I did notice plenty of supportive messages on my phone which was very uplifting, though I didn't get to read them in full. I'm not running looking at my phone but on the ascents you are walking up, it is easy to check it or send photos. I am also providing more updates to my wife and parents to ensure them that I'm ok. When I had a disaster in DCM2019, she assumed the worst when my tracker stopped providing updates. Well that's what happens when your legs crap out and you've to walk to the finish. With all the climbing we have been doing, the 11 hour bus (this is what they call pacing groups) is long gone and the 11:30 bus has been stalking me for a long time. They have a flag declaring which pacing group they are but they also have this very very VERY annoying rattle in the bag or on the flag. It is torture listening to it come up behind you, as you can feel your race potentially unravelling. I knew that most of the ascent comes in the first 55Km so I was comfortable enough being passed by the 11:30 bus. I am also fortunate to remember to pay tribue to Arthur Newton at "Arthur's Seat" about halfway through. Shortly up the road, there is the "Wall of Honour" which is where any Comrades finisher can purchase a plaque and have it mounted here in perpetuity. I somehow miss this. No idea how. It is rather large and long. Derp.

51-70Km - Another drop bag picked up at the start of this section. I had packed my secret weapon in to 50Km and 70Km bags... a tube of Wine Gums. I'd watched all of the webinars from the official coaching team. They mentioned that if you are to take a "gamble" with any of the sections, it is the section from 55Km onwards as it is largely downhill for about 25-30Km. It is this reason that I start asking South African runners or bystanders if we are on Bothas Hill? No?! How far? ... rinse/repeat. I should also note that I'm in to uncharted territory in terms of distance. I've never gone beyond 50Km but physically/mentally I am in a good place. Energy levels feel good due to the maurten and my secret weapon. Some of the water stations have small cups of coca cola so I've been having the odd cup of that as we've gone on. Very refreshing. We finally reach and crest Bothas Hill. I've been waiting for this. I pick up the pace on the downhill for a good 15-18Km. The Kms tick by fairly easy without issue. I pass the 11:30 bus with ease and am now hunting the 11 hour bus. There are parts of this section where we are descending on a 4 lane road. For some reason... people are following the lanes instead of following the racing line. Later after the race, I see some people have done as much as 92.5Km when the official race distance is 89.99Km (you could add on 0.5Km for those back in pen H). Down this stretch I can hear the 11 hour bus' rattle... but I can't see it due to the winding nature of the road and how enclosed it is with forest. This will be the last I see/hear from the 11 hour bus, bye bye sub 11. I get talking to another big unit (6'+ and 100Kg+) and we agree that Comrades probably wasn't created with us in mind.

71-80Km - "Down" year does not mean it is all downhill. There are still some brutal climbs late in the race. Whilst I am deep in conversation with a South African runner, I miss my final drop bag collection. I still have fuel in my running vest so I should be ok till the end by picking up some fuel late in the race from the water stations. I get to Fields Hill and I still have some pep in my step on the descent. This is to be the last real effort I make at catching the 11 hour bus. Tis gone for good. We make our way on to some motorways at this point and whilst you would think they are ok to run on, there are some serious off camber banked turns along the way. I can feel my feet moving inside my shoes on these and the outside of my legs are feel it too. There was about 12-15Km left. The official coaching team are out supporting all the runners along this section. I give one of them, a fellow big unit, a high five and thank him for the advice he gave to me at the expo a few days earlier. There is a moment when we have a small climb and then a descent on to a motorway and I knew then that my legs were cooked. I couldn't descent anymore. Quads no worky. The ache I had on my right foot has gotten a little worse and I've got it on my left foot now too. My hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes ache.

81-finish - Counting down the Kms at this stage. They're going very slowly. Whatever the terrain is, I am operating on a shuffle/walk alternating pattern. At every water station, they have massage therapists. I ask one of them to give the bottom of both my tibalis the once over. A waste of time. No relief and probably 2 minutes lost doing this. Barring any injury or major cramping, I feel like I have it in the bag. Also at every water station, I am now double fisting Coca Cola and/or Fanta. We're on a huge motorway leading in to Durban. 4 or 5 lanes wide with what can only be described as a march of The Walking Dead rolling towards the city. You can see the Moses Mabhida stadium from here... so close! Everyone is done at this stage. The 11th hour rolls by. Still, there are hundreds of people lining the streets. Still encouraging us. Hollers of "You've got this"... not until I have that medal around my neck good sirs. 5Km to go sign appears, quick snap and send it on to friends/family again. The end is nigh. This is a parkrun. The longest parkrun that I can remember. Many calls of "Last hill coming up" come from the crowd. Bullshit. It looks flat on the route profile but there are some lumps in there that made the legs wince as they begun crawling up them. I tried to get in to a light jog but the body was uncooperative. A shuffle like motion for several hundred meters at a time was all I could muster. Approaching the stadium you can hear the noise from inside. You reach the stadium promenade and it is covered in fake grass to prevent last moment slips. You make a sharp turn in to the tunnel and the noise coming through gives you goosebumps. On to the grass in the stadium and just a few hundred metres to go. I try and take it in whilst eyeing the time ticking down. A sub 11 hours 40 minutes is still on! (who gives a toss once I finish within the time limit... there were 2000 people who finished in those remaining 22 minutes). I break out in to a light jog and cross the line. Pump both my fists in the air several times and scream out "yes". Unbelievable Jeff!

A huge wave of joy, relief and disbelief comes over me. I had visualised this moment for a long time. I was expecting to be very emotional but the tears never came. I smile from ear to ear as they put my medal on. So many training runs finished and a small amount missed. After 2 years of safely navigating the pandemic, catching covid in March, 2 months before my qualifier. In late June, an idiotic DIY mistake that resulted in going under general anaesthetic to get 4 stitches in my eye. Safety first folks. Coming out of the general anaesthetic doped up to the gills, asking if I can still run... cue laughter from doctors and nurses at the giant crazy guy on the operating table. Having to wear an eye patch for a week so no running. Cancelled flight after cancelled flight. The final and worst kick in the stones was the person I was raising funds for passed away 2 weeks prior to the race. My best friend lost his sister and I lost a friend. F#ck cancer. Today was for you. In permanent marker, I wrote two things on my arms prior to starting. "<friend's name> never quit" and "Don't stop". They got me over the line. Life is tough, running is easy.

The aftermath - no injuries to note. In order of worst to least pain - tibialis, quads, glutes, hips and hamstrings. Calves never got a workout through the entire race. There simply wasn't any flat terrain until the end of the race when I was completely goosed. Initial inspection I thought all toenails were intact. Upon further inspection, 1 is gone and 3 more are going to follow. 1 very large blister and a couple of minor ones. These were not painful during the run. Lower legs and feet are very swollen. Any of the muscular aches got sorted today at the physio so I'm hoping to be back to normal tomorrow or Friday. A couple of good nights sleep will help with the inflammation. I'll get out on the bike once my feet can fit in to my cycling shoes. Perhaps some easy running next week.

The bad - the incident at 25Km. A male runner was on the receiving end of a defibrillator and CPR. I learned afterwards that he unfortunately did not make it. The taxi driver who took me to the airport informed there were 2 other fatalities. I have not confirmed this yet. I mentioned by bag drop at the start of the race. When I collected it at the end of the race, the main pocket and a large side pocket were opened. Nothing was missing but I didn't leave any cash in there because we were warned not to during the official webinars. Not cool. There also wasn't enough bins along the route. The litter from water stops was atrocious.

Next - DCM in October and Malaga in December. Nothing planned for 2023 as of yet. A return to Comrades may be on the cards but there are some family events in the calendar for June so I am waiting to see when the race is. Wife also told me that this was the first and only time I was doing it... back to back medal sounds good though!

A very big thank you for all those who messaged me on Boards/Strava/WhatsApp. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Bravo sir, fantastic achievement! What a great account of a crazy event! Sorry to hear about your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely amazing achievement, you should be so proud of yourself 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great race report py and congrats on completing it. Sounds like an amazing experience. Also sounds like you have some negotiations to do if you are to go again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

An excellent report on a great achievement. I'm struck by the sheer amount of preparation that went into it between the training itself and what was obviously a serious amount of planning and research. Sorry to hear about your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

What a report, and what an incredible achievement. I can't even imagine the mental strength it took, let alone physical. Well done, hope you are very proud of yourself. So sorry to hear about your friend, cancer is indeed cruel. I'm sure all connected with her appreciate what you did in her honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Loved that report, many congrats and condolences on the loss of your friend. Great description of the race, what an experience it must be.

Thanks for all the kind messages.

Took 1 week off after the race. Went back to easy running 2 days in a row but had pain on the top of both feet during both runs. Took a week off and tried again. Left foot all good, right foot has improved but still not 100%. I believe it is called "extensor tendonitis". Another week off and I'll test again on Monday/Tuesday. I've been getting out on the bike to keep the aerobic fitness in shape. Dunno what it means for DCM at this stage but could potentially see DCM being used as a training run for Malaga if I don't get back on my feet soon. Also have my entry to the Run the Line 26Km in between both of those races.

No Comrades next year due to the date that it is on. Speculative entry in to Tokyo lottery but that is a long shot. Looking like it'll be an autumn marathon in 2023 which will give me a good block of training in the run to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching this - what an achievement and superb report.

I cant even fathom the training that would go into this, never mind the preparation and mental toughness that is required.

RIP to your buddy (& the participants who didn't make it) - I'm sure you done him proud.

Another week with minimal progress on the foot recovery. Tried running again this past monday. Whilst it has improved, it is not fully healed. I'm taking 2 full weeks off running to (hopefully) get it healed once and for all. That means I have had to make a call on not racing DCM. I may use it as a long run in the build up to Malaga but not getting ahead of myself.

To try maintain the fitness, I've been getting out on the bike for 1+ hours and also getting early hilly walks in too. I've got Great Dublin Bike Ride (50% of which is outside of Dublin) this Sunday to look forward to.

Will report back in a few weeks on the foot.

• Advertisement

Took just under 2 weeks off from running. I was itching to get out. I did so last weekend and managed to run pain free for 30 minutes. The legs felt odd/weak so it's been a bit frustrating having to deal with muscle/strength loss but it is what it is. it is mainly the hamstrings that feel weak. I'm assuming the cycling/walking I have been doing has been keeping the other leg muscles in tact but not the hamstrings. With the legs the way they are, I've had to consign myself to not running DCM. I've also dropped down in distance from 26Km to 13Km for Run the Line and I'm waiting to find out if I can go from the full to the half in Malaga too. I wouldn't have the strength for the longer distances right now so I'm going to start building for a marathon next Autumn and then Comrades in 2024. I got a PFO from the Tokyo lottery. I've entered London and Berlin 2023 lotteries but not banking on getting in to either.

Week of 3rd October

Monday - 35' easy - 5.8Km, 6:04/Km, 140avg HR.

Tuesday - 35' easy - 5.6Km, 6:16/Km, 138avg HR

Wednesday - 40' easy - 6.4Km, 6:18/Km. 138avg HR

Thursday - 40' easy - 6.5Km, 6:08/Km, 141avg HR

Friday - 40' easy - 6.7Km, 5:57/Km, 149avg HR

Saturday - Marlay Parkrun - 5Km, 4:54/Km, 169avg HR

Sunday - Rest

Total - 36Km.

Parkrun yesterday was tough. I may have got in to the 23:xx time range had I pushed on in the first Km. It wouldn't have been much quicker than how it went though. It is good to see where my fitness is right now.

It is great to see all the LSRs coming through this weekend. I'm hoping to be out cheering for friends and fellow Boardsies at DCM in a few weeks. Enjoy the taper folks.

Week of 10th October

Monday - 45' easy - 7.5Km, 5:59/Km, 134avg HR.

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7.4Km, 6:05/Km, 140avg HR

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7.4Km, 6:09/Km. 137avg HR

Thursday - 45' easy - 7.4Km, 6:03/Km, 132avg HR

Friday - 45' easy - 7.4Km, 6:09/Km, 147avg HR

Saturday - 65' Trail - 10.7Km, 6:06/Km, 160avg HR

Sunday - Rest/junior parkrun

Total - 50Km

Legs are slowly coming around. Aerobically I'm feeling good. Slight hamstring twinge on Friday's easy run but went away as quickly as it arrived. Saturday's trail run up Kilmashogue Lane to Three Rock was very enjoyable. Plan is to get up there at least once a week in preparation for RTL next month. The boys both got PBs at junior parkrun on Sunday so there was sugary treats all round to celebrate. Got myself and the 8 year old signed up for Jingle Bells 5k in December. I'll be pacing him to a 30 minute 5k as he has come on a bit since he last got under 31 during the summer.

Feels good to be back running consistently.

Week of 17th October

Monday - 55' easy - 9Km, 5:58/Km, 162avg HR.

Tuesday - 55' easy - 9Km, 6:00/Km, 144avg HR

Wednesday - 55' trail - 8Km, 7:02/Km. 154avg HR, 250m elevation

Thursday - 55' easy - 9Km, 6:04/Km, 146avg HR

Friday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:50/Km, 141avg HR

Saturday - 90' Trail - 14Km, 6:35/Km, 155avg HR, 480m elevation

Sunday - Rest

Total - 60Km

3rd week on the trot with a full compliment of runs. This has me feeling like I am back in the swing of things. Wednesday's trail run was an early morning affair. 2 loops of Cruagh wood in horrendous weather. Saturday's outing started at Kilmsahogue lane, up past Three Rock, headed west beyond Two Rock, then north to head back to the wicklow mountain trail... then east to go back to Three Rock... well, route planing a trail run on Strava did not end well. I ended up running through a stream for about 1Km until I came out near Three Rock. Never again. Survived but feet were drenched. Headed for the car in Kilmashogue car park then. Really nice day up in the hills on Saturday. Legs were tired afterwards. 3 pints on Saturday date night with the wife had me feeling like I had drank 10. Sunday was a rest day.

Got my PFO for London 2023 this afternoon. That's 2 for 2 on the lottery rejections so far having been told to PFO by Tokyo earlier this month. Roll on Berlin rejection!

Week of 24th October

Monday - 65' easy - 11Km, 6:00/Km, 135avg HR.

Tuesday - Unplanned rest day

Wednesday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:04/Km. 142avg HR

Thursday - 90' trail - 12.5Km, 7:04/Km, 144avg HR, 430m elevation

Friday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:08/Km, 137avg HR

Saturday - 50' easy/Poolbeg Parkrun - 8Km, 6:01/Km, 135avg HR

Sunday - Tail end of DCM - 11Km, 7:04/Km, 117avg HR

Total - 64Km

The running mojo is back. Enjoying the runs and looking forward to it each day. I've picked out a few new routes which has helped. Monday night's sleep was terrible so just skipped my scheduled run that day and moved the scheduled runs back a day. Thursday morning's excursion around Three Rock in the pitch black was great fun. Only 2 other looneys up there early that morning... perhaps there were more but they didn't have head torches on.

On Friday I had a visit to the physio. I have had minor pain on my left heel when I wake up and when walking bare footed in the house. Dr. Google told me it was probably PF so I decided to nip it in the bud and get it seen to early. Dr. Google was correct so I've got some stretching/strengthening exercises to get done each day. I'm also going to knock the trail runs on the head as there is potential that the change in footwear/terrain for that may be the root cause of it for me. Nothing else has changed. The pain is very minor (2 out of 10) so not a show stopper and doesn't hurt when running. Will keep an eye on it.

I still had my entry for DCM so the plan was for me to join a friend in Milltown and get him through the tough hills ahead with a view to a sub 4. I got to the expo early on Saturday morning, picked up my race number, did a quick run around the expo to see if there was anything of interest (there wasn't) and then I got over to Poolbeg parkrun. It was raining sideways for the duration of the parkrun and the extra 20 minutes I ran afterwards. Drenched.

DCM - I got dropped off on Orwell road by the Mrs and started to make my way through to Milltown. I had to confirm my directions with a family who were out walking.. turns out it was Johnny Sexton and family. Settled on a location briefly at the dropping well and spotted P from the 2019 novices. I moved on a little further and stopped just before the arches. I was there for about 20-30 minutes cheering people on. From personal experience, it is great to have a bit of encouragement from complete strangers calling out your name... but the name tags DCM provided were far too small. I tried my best and hope I got all the names right. I was waiting longer than expected for my friend to arrive. There were an awful lot of people walking at this stage. With the hill at Milltown and then Clonskeagh to come, a lot of people had a tough day out there. My friend included.

When he went through the 30Km timer, I could see he had dropped his pace off a good bit. This was going to be a challenge in getting him over the line. His hip flexors were cramping and later his abductors joined the cramp party. I was in this situation in 2019 so I know the suffering he was going through. I had my trusty running vest with me so first thing was to get him some fuel so gave him the maurten 320 that I had and we got moving. I set targets for a run/walk strategy to get to the end, ie. we'll run to the bus stop, then walk to the traffic lights, then run again. Rinse and repeat until the very end. He was cramping up with a few hundred metres to go and wanted to stop but I kept him moving and he got home in 4:21. Got him through the medal/jersey funnel (I didn't take a medal but did take a top) and around just past the goodie bags. I stretched him out and continued to be his mule, carrying his bags until we got him to a set of steps to get some normal clothes on to keep warm. He'd a few friends from home doing it so when they gathered round, I bid him adieu and headed for McGrattans.

A bunch of posters from here were there so was nice to put faces to names/usernames. Plenty of fantastic performances from these parts, congrats to all of you. I'm looking forward to reading all of the race reports. The service in McGrattans was terrible. Took ages to get served. After some enjoyable conversation, I headed off to grab some grub. Walking through the city, it was great to see all the proud finishers donning their medals, jerseys and beanies.

I'm planning on signing up tomorrow when they open it up to 2022 entrants. I'm still not 100% sure if I will follow through on doing it. I feel like I have unfinished business with the course and with it being on my doorstep, the convenience factor is very high. Very slim chance I will get an entry to Berlin via the lottery.

Workout sessions are returning this coming week... aww yeah!

Week of 31st October

Monday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:59/Km, 136avg HR.

Tuesday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:56/Km, 139avg HR.

Wednesday - Workout - 20' easy, 20' @ 10 mile (4:44, 4:46, 4:51, 4:56, 4:46), 20' @ easy - 10.5Km, 5:43/Km. 158avg HR

Thursday - Rest day

Friday - 65' easy - 11Km, 6:00/Km, 138avg HR

Saturday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:56/Km, 139avg HR

Sunday - 105' easy - 17Km, 6:03/Km, 139avg HR + Junior parkrun

Total - 73Km

Got signed up to DCM so that's 2023's main race scheduled. My task this week is to schedule 10Km, 10 mile and a half races throughout 2023 that will fit in to the training plan. Early research has Enniscorty 10Km in February and Waterford Half in June. Still on the lookout for a 10 mile around late March or throughout April. Cobh 10 is on early April but it may be too far to drive and too hilly a course.

Good running this week. Wednesday's session was done in horrid wet and windy conditions so hopefully a bit milder for the session this week. Between the conditions and tight hips/glutes/hamstrings, I'm not sure if the paces were bang on target. That muscle tightness persisted the rest of the week so I'm off to physio this morning to get work done on them. The mild PF that I have has eased a good bit. I'll continue with the exercises and hold off on the trail runs in the Hokas. Unsure if it is the shoes or terrain causing it but it has certainly eased since dropping both.

The 2 young lads were a bit dejected when they didn't PB once again at junior parkrun. Welcome to running lads 😂

Week of 7th November

Monday - Rest Day - physio visit to get hips. hamstrings and glutes loosened out.

Tuesday - 60' very easy - 11Km, 6:26/Km, 145avg HR.

Wednesday - 65' very easy - 11Km, 5:52/Km, 146avg HR.

Thursday - Workout - 20' easy, 20' @ 10 mile (4:51, 4:44, 4:44, 4:46, 4:58), 3' easy, 10' @ 10 mile (4:48, 4:56) 20' @ easy - 10.5Km, 5:31/Km. 158avg HR

Friday - 40' easy - 7Km, 6:07/Km, 133avg HR

Saturday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:12/Km, 139avg HR

Sunday - Unplanned rest day - should have been 2hr easy

Mileage for the Week - 51Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,633Km

The adjusted schedule due to a poor night's sleep from a few week's back finally caught up with me. Poor sleep on Thursday and Saturday nights resulted in a reduced duration run on Friday and then a missed long run on Sunday. No real harm with where I am in my training so the rest day was welcome.

Thursday's workout felt much more comfortable than the prior week's session. It was still quite windy though I felt the paces were easier to maintain. Remainder of the runs were uneventful.

Got signed up for 2 more races. Enniscorthy 10Km in February and Waterford Half in June. I am now waiting for entries for the "Battle of Clontarf" 10 miler to open. That should round out my race plans for 2023 with the exception of perhaps another go at Run the Line.

On the note of Run the Line, this year's event is on this coming Saturday. I changed my entry from the long to the short course a little while ago. In 2019 I managed a 1:26 which I was thrilled with. It was my first time running on trails so wasn't sure what to expect, how to dress etc. I've a bit more experience under my belt at this stage so my goal is to get closer to 1:20. Creeping under that would possibly result in champagne being purchased (insert podium meme of the guy in 3rd place spraying champagne). We were fortunate that day with the conditions being favourable. Early weather reports are showing it as windy with possibility of heavy rain. I'm not doing a full on taper for it. I'll have a session on Wednesday and then a couple of reduced mileage easy runs on Thursday/Friday. Rest day will return to Sunday which will be welcome after a few beverages for date night on Saturday.

The minor injury stuff that I've had has eased. The mild pf I've had is gone. The issue with the hips/glutes/hamstrings being really tight eased after the physio visit and have been good since.

Week of 14th November

Monday - 60' easy-very easy - 9.5Km, 6:19/Km, 139avg HR.

Tuesday - 60' easy - 10Km, 6:02/Km, 133avg HR.

Wednesday - 60' easy - 10Km, 6:04/Km, 146avg HR.

Thursday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:12/Km, 138avg HR

Friday - 35' easy - 6Km, 6:05/Km, 136avg HR

Saturday - Run The Line - 11.7Km, 6:18/Km, 171avg HR

Sunday - Rest day.... walking around Ikea... :(

Mileage for the Week - 54Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,686Km

A good week completed. I was due a workout on the Wednesday but poor sleep due to kids meant I went with an easy run. Lowered the duration of the runs coming up to RTL on the Saturday.

Run the Line - I arrived up to The Gap with plenty of time before my wave of choice (medium pace) was due to depart. Registration queue was mega long so I hopped in to the queue and slowly trudged towards the desk.Due to the registration queues being so long, they announced the race was going to be delayed. As we got closer to the tent, we got word that the queue everyone was in was for the long course. This needs to be organised better in future though this the only negative thing I have to say about the race, everything else was organised to perfection. Got my bib and went back to the car to get it attached to my t-shirt. Got the heat turned up in the car to keep myself warm. With about 10 minutes to go until the medium wave was due to go, I started trudging down to the start line. Got there and saw quite a large wave get their countdown. "What time is the next wave off at?"... "That's the last one" ... er, it was supposed to be delayed. Anyway, took off the running jacket and loaded it in to the running vest as taking it off later would be a hassle and result in lost time.

1st/2nd Km - straight away, you're going up. I've a clear path for most of the 1st Km but I'm soon on top of the wave that has just departed. There is a long line of people 2-3 wide which are slowly jogging up the path. This is going to be really frustrating if I stick behind this. I opt to run along the grass verge and overtake a large amount of people before getting in to the forest at about the 1Km mark. Same congestion in the forest so go slightly off trail and overtake people while running/jumping over tree roots and berms. Legs feeling good but lungs are working hard as this has all been on uphill trajectory. As we approach the turn for "The Foxes Climb" (strava segment name), congestion is unavoidable so it gives the lungs recovery time.

3rd/4th Km - "The Foxes Climb" is the hardest climb in the race imo. It is constantly above 20% gradient with plenty of rocks, it is more of a hike then a run. Due to fires up in the mountains in 2020/2021, the gorse on the left hand side is now gone. Near the top, most participants have moved out to the left to more manageable terrain, though still steep. The legs worked hard going up here so some walking near the top to give them a brief break. I also take off my gloves/hat/buffs to allow the body to cool a little. As we veer off towards Two Rock, I start running again though met with congestion around Two Rock until the path widens and spiders out in to multiple directions. I take the least travelled path with plenty of puddles and mud. Once past the muddy/wet section, I can open up the legs and start passing people regularly. Not sure if most within the wave I started behind are inexperienced with trails or being conservative (perhaps smart) but they're taking it fairly easy over the rocky descents. I take the route with the higher drops and it allows me to get past people with ease. At the bottom of this descent, we turn right (left if the long course) on to the Wicklow Way for a slight incline.

5th/6th Km - This descent is pretty intense. The path surface is great though there are regular large rocks that cross the entire path and they also have gaps between. Fast but careful along here. Pass more people as the path occasionally widens. At the end of the path, we're on to the path which leads up towards Three Rock. Water stop here, whilst I have my own, I walk for a brief period to consume of the Maurten 160 in my running vest. Back running and we get a few hundred metres up the road before we drop off the path on to what is usually an MTB path. Technical single trail descent which occasionally widens and I pass as many as I can given the chance. Tweak my left ankle along here so a reminder to be careful with my foot placement. Single trail widens out on to a fire trail so plenty of room for manoeuvring around people.

7th/8th Km - Ascending up what appears to be a rocky stream for 200-300 metres. Everyone hiking until near the top of this ascent. "Low" hanging trees not doing anything to help me here so plenty of minor scrapes on my head. Once the ascent is complete, we're in to a technical single trail descent. This is probably the rockiest section of the race. Bit of congestion here with 2 people ahead of me but as the trail widens I take a couple of large drops in a few steps to get past and open up the legs. The descent shortly ends and we come out to be surrounded by 3 large masts. The deforestation around this part has my bearings a bit off but I'm following those ahead as we trudge up a sharp ascent. More mud and puddles around this part and we're in to congested single trail as we climb once again. It is about this time in the race that I start to do the mental maths with regards to how much distance is left and whether or not a PB is on or not.

9th/10th Km - Mental maths has me comfortable on for a PB. This is the last Km of ascent and it is a steep one at the end of it. Strava has the highest gradient at 40%. We are all hiking but hands are on the ground to maintain balance. Plenty of rocks and tree roots to carefully navigate. Once at the top we are out on to Dublin Mountain Way path. I get running straight away whilst others are recovering from the suffering of the hike we have just endured. This is probably the flattest section of the race. We're going along this path or about 700 metres when we take a slight turn off and are up/down over berms.

11th Km/finish - On to the final descent and this is the only part of the race which covers the same ground on the way out/back. The forest path here is wide enough for two people but there are a number of groups which appear to be taking the race as a social event so I'm off to the side over berms as I was on the ascent. Out of the forest and come across 2 more groups of 2 but they kindly move to the side to allow me to pass. This part is winding in parts so I'm not sure if there's many ahead of me. On to the final stretch which has a bridge to traverse and a couple of minor hairpins. I move over to the grass verge as my heavy footsteps on the path and heavy breathing are probably terrifying those ahead of me. Approach a minor hairpin turn which I cut and take the drop off the grass in my stride, passing the last person of my race. Continue to keep the pace up and as we approach the finish line I can hear someone catching behind me so keep my focus and get over the line without getting overtaken.

I got home in 1:13:30 which is a 12.5 minute PB. Upon review of 2019 vs 2022, it seems they changed the route at around 9Km. This year's iteration appears to be about 500 metres shorter in distance and 50 metres short in elevation when compared with the 2019 route. Somewhere between a 3-4 minute addition to my time would have me at similar distance/elevation when compared with 2019 so still a good showing. This was a very well organised race (registration needs work) and I had lots of run running over a mixture of terrains. As I finished in the top 25%, I would probably opt to move up to the fast wave the next time I run it. If training goes well in 2023, there's a sub 1:10 in there for the short course.

The legs were sore on Sunday and worse on Monday. Physio worked them out on Monday so we're almost back to normal at this stage of the week.

Malaga half coming up in 3 weeks. Not sure how I'm set for that, will need to have a think on how to approach it. I think somewhere in the 1:45-1:50 range is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done. That’s a great report. I was afraid the whole way through though, that you’d go over on your ankle or something when passing people off the track.

What’s the route like in Malaga? What sort of temperatures then?

Thanks... So was I 😃

It's a fast flat course. Elevation of 50-100m for the half so will see how I go.

Temperature today is at 20c which would be no good but next week is showing low-mid teens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That will be ideal in the teens and hopefully humidity will be fine.

Advertisement