Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Andor [Disney+]

• 26-05-2022 7:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First teaser for this arrived; looks moody and seems to be hitting more of the muddy, grim aesthetics of Rogue One... Lots of prequel iconography abound as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

YES, just saw it as well. Didn't even expect much but what a nicely done trailer.

Need to look up who is the team behind the production - the shots the vibe looks different than the other SW side stories series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They also announed that season 2 will start filming in August so it's not a one and done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony Gilroy is the show runner; he was writer for the Bourne movies - and Rogue One. Directed Michael Clayton fadó.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

That explains the chills i got from the trailer ha. Rogue One is actually the best SW movie for me since prequels, the hype is real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well. I'm hyped.

Hyped! Hyped! Hyped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Good cast, I'll give it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Gilroy completely re-shot and rescued Rogue One according to popular lore:

‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Writer Tony Gilroy Opens Up About Reshoots – The Hollywood Reporter

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi‘s Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

“I’ve never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that,” said Gilroy. “And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position.”

In fairness he did a pretty spectacular job on R1 for a non Star Wars fan!

They also have a writer, Stephen Schiff, who has experience from The Americans under his belt (13 producing, 9 writing)

Looks good but i again get the feeling disney are just throwing as much crap against the wall and seeing what sticks instead of having a coherent plan on what to do with star wars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I"ve heard that rumour before, that Garth Edwards made a hash of it, and someone came in to fix it. Had forgotten Tony Gilroy was involved so would make sense he'd be in a position to do that - interesting Edwards remains the credited director, I'd say the legality of everything was delicately figured out.

I will say of Rogue One, and speculate was Edwards' part given his prior work with Monsters & the Godzilla remake, it was one of the few Star Wars films that captured scale really well. Too many times the FX forgets the sheer size and weight of Star Destroyers or the larger entities in the universe - so nothing feels epic or awe inspiring. Rogue One's frequently made sure we really understood just how HUGE everything was. Now, maybe Edwards had no part in the FX work - but it'd be a coincidence if so given his CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed R1. I thought it was quite a dramatically different take and all the better for it. I am looking forward to this and love the look of it.

Oh that trailers so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I knew I posted in the wrong thread. Yeah, love this trailer. SO looking forward to this. Refreshing to move away from the Skywalkers.

Credit where it's due, that looks exactly what I hoped Star Wars TV shows might be. I'm now mildly hyped. Obviously a prequel but also obviously much more than that. I hope the senate stuff is an integral part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Rogue One can do little wrong in my eyes so when this was announced it felt like the show that I would look forward to most. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but that trailer looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks good.

Wonder if the delay is to have less of an overlap with She-Hulk.

The trailer for once feels like the show might actually not worry about entertaining the kiddos. Something like Obi-Wan burst at the seams trying to be both a story about a jedi with PTSD, and also a fun romp for children to enjoy.

I can't see from that trailer where that demographic would be placated; it looks positively adult in theme and execution. my niece might be bored silly lol.

Interestingly, Andor didn't make use of StageCraft, LucasArts 3d back projection video wall as used with Mandalorian, Obi-Wan etc. Apparently much of the outdoor shoot was location work, the sets physical creations. Impressive commitment, wonder how Tony Gilroy persuaded the suits to not use the video.wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Yeah, my youngest lad who's 12 is kind of meh about this one which is probably a good sign! We need a Star Wars series with some grime and grit in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

It looks well written and the production values are very impressive. Did it just so happen that the last George Lucas character show was a poorly written embarrassment? I think not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was wondering why it looked so much better than Obi-wan and Boba Fett. More episodes too, so it must have had a much bigger budget.

Can you tell though? I was going to go to youTube and see if I could pull out some clips, try to see if the StageCraft scenes are more obvious? It's very advanced rear projection, I can imagine certain "locations" might convince more than others.

I was going to speculate if Tony Gilroy's presence has added a more experienced head behind the basic shovel-work of a FX-heavy production; though I note Gilroy himself isn't actually directing any episodes. The premiere directed by Toby Haynes, whose CV is mostly British TV work (interesting parallel in that a lot of this was shot in Scotland); though has directed Dr. Who and some other genre work so presumably knows they way around a FX focused shoot.

Maybe it's just bias on my part: knowing when an inexperienced director like Deborah Chow is in charge, so I presume any shonky FX or flaccid action is down to the fact Disney keeps hiring green indie directors for their Big Ticket IPs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not so much that its technically noticeable or better, but that the episodes that relied heavily on the video wall often have a backlot-shot look and feel to them. The decision to shoot on location is what would have really made the difference visually. They are obviously also using Rogue One as the visual template for the show, which as you said was a very cinematic looking film made by a big film director.

I think the visual style of a tv show is generally established by the showrunner in collaboration with whoever directs the first episode. Some showrunners wouldn't take much interest in it or give vague instructions. The fact that Gilroy, a director himself, was saying he wanted this to look big and like Rogue One would have been enough. Most of the time tv directors just tell the actors were to the stand and make sure they hit their marks. A show with a strong showrunner and a very clearly established visual style isn't going to give them much leeway.

I was actually thinking about this. Location versus Stagecraft. Mando and Fett (And Obi-wan?) got away with it because they were mainly set on desert planets. At least the trailer here seems to be showing much more lush environments. Atmospheric conditions that are probably much more difficult to create artificially (Rain, mist/haze etc). Inside shots are of course still perfectly suited to the digital set. It's an amazing technology but everything has limits.

That initial shot of the Star Destroyer flying through the atmosphere was simply fantastic. Say what you want about the shows and but the last 12-15 years or so have seen an unbelievable change in the scope of TV shows. This almost streaming/TV war has revolutionised the scale of TV shows. Ignoring the quality of the last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones (Conversation for another thread/forum) the effects work of the dragons was on a par with any major blockbuster. The digital Luke had its flaws but, again, TV show (The later attempts were better with the AUDIO being the biggest issue as it was, at least partially, artificially generated). We have a Lord of The Rings series coming out that cost three times the amount of Jackson's trilogy... Even BEFORE you take into account rights.

But yeah, back to the original thought: Yeah, the digital stage probably wouldn't suit Andor or be even feasible.

Looks like Rogue One is getting a cinema re-release at IMAX,, and will include a preview of Andor

I had a funny feeling it'd turn out to be just the US IMAXs, but still, figured it was worth sharing and Boardsies in America might want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A prequel to a prequel will season 2 then be a sequel to the prequel of prequel but still a prequel to the prequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But isn't it also a sequel to Revenge of the Sith?

And can also just be an interquel.

Advertisement