Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Unfortunately there isn’t any power outlets on the 320neo, not sure if this was an EI decision or just because it was taken from SmartAvia

Seats look very similar to Lufthansa

EI NSB apparently due into Shannon around 5.15 this evning from Ostrava according to FR24.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Does anyone have a link to that video showing the cabin? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I had heard two second hand A333s were being sought for next year for expansion. Airbus cancelling outstanding A350s for QR might have thrown a spanner in the works there though.

EI-NSB has arrived in Shannon and seems to be parked remotely for storage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The aircraft was already fitted out for Smartavia. Aer Lingus (via IAG) picked it up cheap (Im guessing) as it was.

Ordering/Obtaining new seats and then refitting the cabin would have delayed its arrival and added to the cost.

Thus someone or some group of someone's decided to take it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Could they fly from dublin to Denver and then onto San Diego for example on a narrow body ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aine28

I believe its internal knowledge the new CEO and the Aer Lingus management team have been studying a different market strategy since covid with further US markets being considered (Recommencing Hartford, starting DEN and a possible seasonal LAS) but also holiday destinations. Its rumoured a seasonal Cancun and Bangkok have been proposed to the bigger travel agency group in Ireland through a package tour and separately an interline agreement with Qatar on the Doha route from 2024 is on the cards, with Aer Lingus deploying one a321XLR on the late DOH and Qatar operating the early one. But again this is only rumours and I would believe it when official sources confirm it. Unfortunately YUL seems to be completely off the table for the foreseeable even though this had been previously announced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In theory yes, but with multiple current and possible US partner airlines, those type of flights just don't make sense. They won't not be able to get passengers on the domestic leg and would hence by flying half empty widebodies on a route that passengers could connect to as a domestic flight in DEN

Also adds to the cycle count on the airframe, probably not really a concern here though really

Do you know if theres plans to expand at other airports like ORK? ORK is a lot smaller post COVID so far. Only 2 a/c and 7 routes compared to double that before. It seems to only have AMS LHR MUC & ACE for the winter two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

They'd want to significantly up the quality of their product if they want to compete with QR on the DOH route.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think the evaluation of long haul leisure routes is a natural progression for the airline. The launch of Barbados from Manchester wasn’t much of a surprise considering the local market demand but the emphasis on connections from DUB & BHD felt like a toe dipping exercise.

The current network is susceptible to its seasonal nature, as the fleet grows to accommodate the growing demand in summer, they’ll find themselves with increasingly spare capacity in winter.

Aer Lingus could now find themselves with enough capacity to justify sending it to lower yielding leisure markets. Getting the travel trade industry on side would be vital for this to work. In the long run Aer Lingus diversifies its network, broadens its appeal and keeps some very expensive assets working in the quieter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Does anyone know if EI offer airside connections at Chicago? I have only flown there with them with no onward connection and it looked you need to go airside bwfore going thriugh security again to get in your UA or AA connection in the other terminals. Maybe there is an airside bus option?

If not it would seem to be more convenient to use AA or UA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Nope. Aer Lingus arrive T5 with no airside connections to the rest of the terminals. There's supposed to be an airside bus that only goes from the other terminals TO T5 but, even that is suspended since Covid.

At least the landside train is running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Slipped by a week, work to be carried out in SNN. Planned to be positioned to Dublin next week for EIS on Sat 13/08.

More accurate EIS information closer to the time however.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

Would 90 mins typically be adequate for a connection from EI to AA domestic; and 75 mins on the return?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tight but doable is you move quickly off the flight and make tracks for the train, luckily its the first stop on the train so a lot easier than UA

Security in T5 has never been pleasant 75 minutes is super tight without the shuttle bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The business is there alright to reinstate some of the previous business. However they seem to be more focused on transatlantic. Wonder is there any plans of expanding stateside from shannon. Possibly Shannon to Chicago? Unless they have their heads in the sands there is a lot that would love to see that route returns plus after this summer the airport has gotten a lot of free advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

90 minutes T5 to domestic is the minimum I'd accept for same ticket. Picking up your bag in T5 isn't fast. There's only one belt for domestic baggage, and it is now shared with all of the low cost carriers that began using T5. It's usually mobbed.

I wouldn't take 75 minutes Domestic to T5 even on the same ticket.

Since you're connecting with AA, I assume you're on separate tickets. I wouldn't take either connection if that's the case.

Does anyone know what way EI do a/c swaps?. LRC is switching with LRF in LHR tomorrow again after swapping with it last Sunday in LHR. Is this for maintenance check?

• Advertisement

Re ORD connections, I would avoid it. It would mean clearing security three times for a flight (twice in Dublin and then once on Chicago). I'd pick one of the other US airports (Boston, JFK, Newark or Washington). Shame. I can't imagine an airside bus that meets each of the flights would be too expensive.

Sorry, one more thing. Would EI ever think of moving to the UA terminal in Chicago. Maybe no gate space but that may change with the upcoming expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d say T3 is more likely if that ever happens! IAG bros Iberia already operate out of there (they arrive into T5, which EI wouldn’t need to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Apropos of nothing and slightly off topic, I flew DUB-KEF-SEA a few weeks ago as I needed to go on a day when the EI direct flight was operating. I was very pleasantly surprised by the way that I didn't have to clear security a second time in KEF – I'll be going that way again when a stopover is necessary.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Am on an EI ticket all the way through both ways, but listening to the advice here will try to change to an earlier connecting flight (from IAH) on the return to de-risk the connection. I'd usually do this trip via PHL with AA, but this time the price difference going with EI and their AA code share via ORD was significant, hence the novice questions on the ORD connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

The schedule seems to be back to normal from 15th August so it is back to 12 weekly flights to Lanzarote - 5 in the morning and daily in ytthe afternoon. Only the afternoon one operated with the hire in arrangement. It was also doing the Barcelona morning flight with the evening Barcelons service not operating. That route is back to 2 daily on 15th August also.

Hopefully they have the dtaffing/Covid issues resolved. A few other cutbacks through the schedule will probably help including the "airport crisis" cuts with Amsterdam and Gatwick both having an evening service cut. Last flight to Amsterdam now most days is 2pm. Heathrow is down to just 62 services a week from the 83 originally planned. The last flight leaves Dublin now at 7pm most nights with only 1 aircraft overnighting. There are some big time gaps in the schedule such as from the 0730 service to the 1115 flight. Cork and Shannon are also down a daily flights. These cuts might have been forced on the airline but iAfter being dropped for the Summer t probably worked out well given the staffing issuers.

The early Birmingham flight is now an Emerald ATR72 with Edinburugh getting the A320 instead. That was up to 7 flights a day pre pandemic but was down tp 4 for this year so the demand mist be strong there.

After being dropped for the Summer Budapest is back 3 weekly for the winter. Fuerteventura is also back at 2 per week.

The other routes that didn't come back for Summer 2022 were were Bologna, Catrania, Montpellier, Pula and Rhodes. I wonder if there is any chance of these coming back next Summer as I presume lack of aircraft will still be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭cloudhopper19

The 2 320neos that where destined for smartsvia will get a cabin retrofit in winter and will be fitted with a new EI European seat with USB charging. All other 320neo coming to fleet will have the seats already in them. To do it now would have delayed their introduction.

Do Aer Lingus send standby crew down to Shannon incase cover is needed? SNN BOS was delayed due to a crew issue today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-FNG is AoG in Bradley after suffering a compressor stall and vibration. Looks like a replacement engine job so won't be going anywhere for a while

The DUB BOS on Aug 9th diverged to BDL due weather in BOS, refueled and was departing for BOS when it all went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aine28

If I remember right, Aer Lingus has a number of cabin crew trained to cover standby out of Shannon for situations like this. Think theres only about 20 of them, and they also cover BA operations (a320 only) if they are really stuck (and these crew would be flown first from Shannon or Dublin to LHR as a passenger). From what I remember they have a double flying license (EU and UK) and aren’t Dublin base only, but « standby disruption crew ». The crew member called in for that flight would have been on standby covering last minute crew illness for Shannon flights and LHR and all BA short haul flights (only a320 though). I think this started when Aer Lingus covered some flights for BA during a strike in 2018 and those 20 volunteer crew chose to go on a flexible contract covering Aer Lingus and BA (short haul only). I could be wrong and I’m open for correction on all of this and details. Also think the union didn’t find this a good thing at the time but not much was said.

Advertisement