Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS in all its glory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

I have that problem too,im ok going up hill but downhill is tough. Going down small steps is the toughest thing for me. I've noticed ive got a bit worse since the pandemic started,my walking is getting worse. Its quite frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

And I’m the exact same. The pandemic has been terrible for my walking. Downhill and down steps are tough. Slow moving, off balance and very laboured is how I’d describe my walking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

Thought it was just me that this is happening to. Walking is worse since last year and it's so tough to go anywhere. Increased baclofen and still hasn't done much to help the tin man walking. Little steps and uneven footpaths are not my friend either. Its quite annoying that the pandemic has done this to us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is she on a public or private list ? It’s great news that she is getting such a highly effective DMD so early . Has she been tested for the JC virus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

For those of you that have contracted Covid, how long till symptoms went away. I’m 3 weeks now and still have a cough and positive antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 debskc

Hi there, just a quick question how long does it take for lumbar punture results take to come back? I got mine done in cuh and it was being sent to UK! Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tell me about it. 15 times the police have knocked on my door to breathalyse me. This is at around 3pm after the school run .though I have suspicions someone was calling them in the hope I'd be guilty

One thing I've found is that cars are alot more obliging letting you cross the road if you have a walking stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Tested positive 2 weeks ago. Probably 10 days before the (slight) cough disappeared, day 11 before I tested negative. First few days were horrible, frozen with the cold even sitting by the fire, aches and chills. Headache lasted a week or more. Really tired up to a couple of days ago, still not 100% energy-wise. But getting over it. Had seen data suggesting people on Gilenya have next to no response to the vaccine, so I was worried about potential outcome when I got it, but thankfully not too bad in the end.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Interesting article suggesting a link between MS and the Epstein-Barr Virus. Most people won't even know they have it but the Epstein-Barr Virus can manifest itself in some people as glandular fever. I had a very bad case of glandular fever as a child.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

I had my lumbar puncture in CUH and I didn't find out the result of it for 7 months. I wasn't very proactive in finding out the result though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 debskc

Thank you for your feedback, I now presume il hear results when I get another appointment with neurologist, I wasn't too sure if they would contact me before hand if something showed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I had my in St. Vincent's but just to confirm I got the results at the next neurologist appointment, which was the appointment at which I received my diagnosis.

Most likely. That's what happened in my case. I had MRIs, lumbar puncture and evoked potentials tests when I was first admitted to CUH. At the time they told me I might have MS but they couldn't say for sure. I didn't find out the results of the tests until I saw the neurologist again 7 months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Think it's been suspected for years but this is the first time a large study has found a definite link. I had a severe case of glandular fever when I was 22, spent a week in hospital. Maybe a bad case is the immune system over reacting and that kicks off the auto immunity in MS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

I had LP back in Aug 2020 in CUH ; I was told at time results take at least 6-8 weeks to get sent back to consultant. I had an appointment booked anyway with Consultant in Oct 2020 - results were back for this visit and it was confirm then sadly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Hi. I got diagnosed with primary progressive MS in December. I wear a Dictus brace for walking. I can walk a couple of hundred metres before needing to rest. I am visiting my GP this evening to ask him to sign the form for a parking permit. How bad do I have to be to qualify? Should I ask him to say that I use a stick? We go to a lot of sports matches where being able to park close to the venue would make a huge difference to me. Thanks

I remember reading about that years ago. An interesting read. Both times I've been hospitalised, 30 odd years ago and about 10 tears ago , I was treated with antivirals for viral meningitis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sorry you are PMS, the permit is literally a tick the box, I'm hoping your GP ticked the right one. I hear you on needing to park close by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Hi everyone, does anyone know if vumerity is available in Ireland?

Sorry , I've no idea. But I'm pretty sure Tecfidera is. I was thinking of it till flushing was mentioned. I have a red face already 🥵

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Thanks anyway. I'm hoping to switch from gilenya as apparently vumerity has less side effects than tecfidera. Now the pandemic is over I'm back to constantly being sick (2 months of a bad sinus infection, small break and then I'm sick with a headcold again now). Only now it's more disruptive than ever as I feel like I've to isolate in case it's covid. When I asked about switching a few years ago I was told all the DMTs make you sick all the time but since vumerity has less side effects I was a bit hopeful it might be worth trying. My doctor's don't want me to switch as gilenya's really worked for my Ms, but I'd like to at least try other DMTs in case it's possible to control my MS without being stuck in bed sick with colds so much of the time.

I'm on Tysabri and it's certainly not true that it makes me sick all of the time! I get the odd UTI and respiratory tract infections but as a general rule feel pretty well on it.I'm a primary teacher who works in special education and as you can imagine, am exposed to every single bug going. If you are getting ill regularly, your neuro. needs to consider why.

Had a neuro-physio assessment this week. Not good . Exercises are pretty hard going, but I’d recommend that any MS people do an assessment. I had unconsciously been avoiding things that I struggled with which had a knock on effect in other areas . Example - walking quickly and looking from side to side . At work , I had told kids to walk in front of me as they would be quicker than me - but part of that was obviously that I couldn’t do the side by side thing .

Use it or lose it !

It's a bit like I started to use my left foot and hand to do things as its so much stronger. Lost all strength in my dominant right side.

After a MRI, head and spine, as I was complaining about mobility. Let's see what it shows up , but I think being housebound with children during lockdown was a major factor in my mobility issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've just been diagnosed with having MS. I had issues with my eyesight and balance a few weeks back. I ended up being admitted to Tallaght. Had MRI's of brain and spine and a lumbar puncture of the spine. Was released within 2 days while I waited on the final results. Last Friday I had an appointment with the neurologist and while I went in feeling better than I had in recent weeks, he confirmed that I do indeed have relapsing MS. The balance issue is still there but the double vision has passed for now.

It was/is still a shock with the diagnosis but I'm thankful it can be managed with treatment I'm 42 and the Neurologist believes I can live a long and happy life without compromising the things I enjoy. I'm likely to go with Kesimpta. The idea of a single injection administered myself rather than the tablet options is something I'm ok with. Kesimpta would be quicker to get going than the tablet option (the name escapes me) I'm anxious to begin sooner rather than later. it but will obviously have to wait for the long term illness benefit to be approved. Hopefully that doesn't take too long.

Its a surreal feeling knowing I will have this as part of me forever but it could have been worse and I'm thankful of that.

I'm looking to change from Avonex as I think it's stopped working. Kesimpta looks good as it's once a week.

Sorry to hear your are in the MS gang now, GBX. Your dmd isn't always done through the LTI, when I was injecting it was through the high tech drug programme, but either way, sooner is good!

Avonex is, frankly, pants. Everyone needs to be put on the highly effective DMDs from Day 1 (see link) I had no choice but Betaferon/Avonex when I was diagnosed and I know that damage done then has caused me to be deteriorating now. (It's proven that damage early on is going to bite back after a while) I can't understand when any Neuro wouldn't push for an MS-er to get the good ones these days.

https://mstrust.org.uk/about-ms/ms-treatments/ms-decisions-aid

I queried it with my Neurologist about driving, they said I'm fine to drive and I don't need any changes to my license as my symptoms are manageable. He said maybe contact my insurance company to inform them, which I did. Will I still need to inform the NLDS if there are no changes to my license or would it only apply if my MS gets worse and I need it on my license.

TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

As far as I'm aware you'll need to notify NDLS.

It's one of the medical conditions listed

https://www.ndls.ie/medical-fitness/do-i-need-to-submit-a-medical-report.html#medical-conditions-which-must-be-reported-on-all-applications

"Any other chronic neurological condition such as multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, or Huntington’s disease"

I had to but it was straightforward. Handed back my old license with a medical report form from my GP and was given a new license with an endorsement on it I need a medical for renewal.

I didn't have to do anything with my insurance once I had told NDLS.

+1 to CivilCybil ; NDLS need to know, and license updated with a code . GP signs off report to say you are fit to drive for x years. I did not say anything to Insurance.

Had a look at that link, but only now and I've F-ed up and ordered a new script of them that will last a while.

Think I'd try Kesimpa ? If it's available here ,nI

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Hi - just looking for some advice if possible. My partner was diagnosed in Dec 2021 with relapsing remitting MS. She was told it was a middle of the road case and was put on Tysabri. She is cared for in Vincent’s hospital (who in my opinion have been absolutely fantastic)

Unfortunetly due to having covid, she missed her 6 month consultation last week to assess her 2nd MRI (taken in March I think). She had been told the next available slot is next December now

My question is - have any more experienced MS folk ever went to a private consultant to compliment the public service in this sort of situation? Or do you think she has been triaged as they had a glance at the charts and nothing dramatic had changed? I don’t want to upset her care in Vincent’s either as they have been so so good and must be under a lot of pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

If she’s doing ok and it’s just an annual appointment she should be fine to wait til December. My MRIs are done privately and get sent directly to the team in Vincents and they contact me if they need to. So if I don’t hear from them it’s good! A quick email in to the wonderful MS nurses might help her get some reassurance about her MRI. I was seeing a private neurologist as well but found it had no benefit so switched all care to Vincent’s.

When I see my neurologist after having my MRIs they barely even mention the MRI. I take that to be a good sign. I think if there was was something very wrong or worrying they would bring your partner in quicker than December.

Thanks so much for that information, it’s really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Just to echo the above posts.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in very early 2015; and have only ever seen my Neurologist privately; mostly due to initial (severe) anxiety on my part in the early days / years (and then inertia on my part in later years).

As one of the previous posters said the MRIs in general are barely mentioned (to paraphrase he normally merely says "no change"). The only time my MRI changed was last year but I had seen a marked deterioration in my symptoms so that wasn't really a surprise.

Basically therefore what I am saying (but I am not a doctor) is that in my experience unless there's other stuff going on the MRIs are unlikely to be an issue ( at least that's my non educated opinion).

Hopefully that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Question to the audience if I may

Does anyone here have any experience of FES (Functional electrical stimulation).

Asking as two colleagues (MSrs as well) (uk based) have them and while I don't know either very well both were provided via the NHS (at zero cost) and both guys described them as "game changers"

I assume they can be got here privately at your own cost but before I go that route I thought a quick ask here might enlighten me and possibly others

I have an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) which is "good" but the FES sounds so much better.

Any knowledge out there folks?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, much appreciated

I've never heard of that .

Anyway, I've been described as feckless ,memory wise before but my short term memory has gone to hell. MRIS are stable but I noticed how often despite memorising a short shopping list (3 items) it takes me ages to remember them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

I tried one on. It didn’t improve my gait much more than the ankle brace that I wear. Certainly not €5-€7k worth of improvement. However that’s not to say it wouldn’t work for you. Trial it but don’t build your hopes up too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Guys y cant find a search in thread option so i am sorry if this has come up before, i can i ask what was it that first brought you to go to your doctor before your diagnosis like what was it initially?

I have an appointment with my doctor next week because i just cant take the tiredness anymore, now i can work and get up everyday but in relation to my colleagues my after work life is zero because of lack of energy, i hear them saying they are going to the gym, shopping after work etc but there is no way i could all i want to do is sleep.

Eyesight has gone down hill but nothing as what is being said on # here just change in prescription and eyes look healthy

Left leg goes numb at night maybe once a week wakes me up and now my left arm is given me trouble too, so im not sure what is up with me but im sure i have or am lacking in something

For me it was dizziness, balance and double vision. I left it about a week but ended up in A&E. Thankfully I had MRI's and Lumbar spine puncture.

You're doing right going to your appointment. Definitely get it checked with them and they may refer you to a Neurologist. Hopefully all goes well for you

I went to GP thinking I had back issues/sciatica as I had lower back pain and I had some numbness in my feet and lumbar region. He referred me to A and E for MRI of lumbar as he was concerned that maybe be Cauda equina . thankfully Nothing came back from MRI but my symptoms were progressing - Numbness was travelling up my legs and I was in pain . Really grateful to my GP spotting my symptoms not right as I had back issues before. I luckily got referral to Neuro and managed to get appointment. I had to get Head, T and C spine MRIs and this showed flare up just between shoulder blades - went to hospital for more test etc but in meantime I was lucky as I seem to be recovering from relapse ( took 3- 4 weeks ) without any treatment at that time . Anyway you doing right thing - go to GP and discuss symptoms and take from there. for anything Neuro it is a long process of tests etc before conclusive diagnosis so best start now - best of luck and hopefully you get answers and things go ok !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Folks, what are your experiences with fatigue battling meds ? I've been on Amantadine for 2/3 years now and just don't see it doing much for me. Any recommendations of alternatives that you may have found good ? Will be seeking other options in future and would love to hear any of your thoughts, thanks.

For me it was tremors and weakness in my right side. GP said MS washer guess but took LPs and MRI's for an official diagnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

So i have been given a blood test for the tiredness and doctor did a few tests like stretches finger to nose and don't think they noticed anything so that is good, but did anything show up on your blood tests? to be honest i hope something does or its like starting all over again but doctor said if things don't improve they will send me to a neurologist and maybe an mri of my arm.. problem there is my arm and leg are okay now but that's what happens, I'm fine now and in a few months it will happen again but tiredness and aches never go away..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

In my own experience with MS it was more a case of ruling lots of things out as opposed to a definitive test.

This is from mstrust.org.uk

"The key requirement for a diagnosis of MS is evidence of damage to the central nervous system that is disseminated in time and space. This means showing that damage has occurred at different dates (Dissemination in time, or DIT) and to different parts (Dissemination in space, or DIS) of the central nervous system. This distinguishes MS from other neurological conditions."

So at times they might suspect MS but not be able to give a diagnosis until another area of demyelination shows on an MRI. There are certain criteria they have to meet outlined in this article.

https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/mcdonald-criteria

For me the blood tests were done to rule out things that can cause similar symptoms (vitamin b12 deficiency, Lyme disease, syphilis, HIV) - I had a battery of blood tests to rule out loads of different things. All my bloods came back normal.

Then I had a brain and spine MRI which showed demyelination on the brain and on two parts of the spine. The brain and one spine lesion were old. One was new. This showed that the damage had occurred on two different dates.

My first symptoms were weakness and altered sensation in my right leg. It went away and a few months later I had optic neuritis which is when they started testing for MS.

So I'd had two separate relapses with two completely different sets of symptoms. I had more than two areas of damage on the MRI which occurred at different times. So I didn't need a lumbar puncture to confirm the diagnosis. Some people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In my case it was zapping sensations down my spine when I walked or bobbed my head, known as L’Hermitte’s sign. I was first referred to an osteopath, after an X-ray, then a neurologist. MRI showed lesions in my cervical spinal cord and brain, so it was a pretty straightforward diagnosis they ruled out B12 deficiency etc. Gilenya (> 10y now) seems to prevent well, but there are other symptoms: fatigue, memory, and I can even blame general crankiness on MS. 👺

That was over 15 years ago, but I’m still seeing the same neurologist, most recently a few weeks ago. He had a bunch of students in there with him, so we tested them on the diagnosis, starting with the same symptoms I originally had. (Playing with medical students is fun.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
Advertisement