Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Also worth telling the neuro in Vincent's that you will accept any cancellation that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I went to St Vincents as a private patient. The neurologist was great and as soon as I was diagnosed, I was put into the public system with the same neurologist . I then moved to the North, luckily,i had a diagnosis but was still waiting 3/4 years to see my new neurologist.

Had an embarrassing fall on the street. I was stopped standing for traffic and just fell over ! Mixture of tiredness and not taking my baclofen on time. Also I was wearing shoes so back to buy a pair of light runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Thanks, yes, the MS nurse was adamant they had sent the list to the HSE for boosters several weeks ago, but still no call or text. GP wasn't much use, speak to your consultant, we're not doing booster clinics, HSE only etc. Reading the HSE guidance where Gilenya is listed and it recommends a booster 2 months after vaccination for us, so pretty worried now that I have feck all immunity after 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭adam88

Just land into the Ed early one Monday morning and say the symptoms started the day before. Needs must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used a private neurologist and if they found it better?

I'm in the south east (which is fairly terrible in general concerning health care) and I'm getting nothing of value from talking to my neurologist. I'll be explaining for ages why I'd want to try private care if I give the full story but basically I was half-diagnosed in 2015. The doctor said that I probably had MS after I'd lost vision due optic neuritis and gave two options: take the medication in case I have it and it could help slow progression or, not take the medication because I may have no reason to need it. I chose to gamble on not taking the meds until it was clear that I had MS. I've seen this guy 4 times since 2015 and each time he gives me totally contradictory info. I had MRIs in 2015 and 2017 which were fine according to him and I haven't had a symptom since 2015. Been waiting almost 4 years for a follow up MRI and demanded a private referral for it at my last appointment because I'm sick of sitting in limbo. That was two months ago and I called the radiology department at the private hospital I asked to be referred to yesterday and they dont have record of referral. I worked at this hospital in a department next to radiology so I know the secretary well. She said they'd have called to book an appointment within two weeks of getting a referral.

Even if I get bad news, I just want a straight answer from a doctor that doesn't seem rushed to kick you out the door. Is going private any better? At this stage I'm thinking of going up North.

I've never been in the public system, saw a private neuro from the start (had good insurance, ophthalmologist who diagnosed optic neuritits recommended him, and I also knew his secretary so could get a quick appointment). Didn't want to be waiting months or years for a public appointment. He has rooms in a private hospital, where I see him. I've also had various courses of IV steroids there for relapses, and I deal mostly with the nurse in the IV unit.

I've been pretty happy, although I haven't seen him in a few years as my MRIs have been stable, I know he is checking those and blood results whenever I need a new prescription. Anytime I had a relapse or concerning symptoms I was able to get an appointment, but he doesn't insist on seeing me every year (and charging!) just for a 5 minute physical exam when my condition is stable, so I feel more like a patient and less like an ATM. MRIs are done at the same hospital and I generally get referred on time for those.

Basically, if you have good health insurance that will cover some of the cost, I would have no problem going private. My insurance covers MRI, any IV treatment I need and a large part of consultant fees so its a no-brainer for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm in the south east and travel to Kerry to see a neuro privately. The system in Waterford is particularly shambolic, it seems. Kilkenny isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Hi,

I see my Neurologist privately, and have done since I had my first (very) noticeable symptoms in early 2015. (In hindsight I think now that some of my symptoms were present well before that but I ignored them / didn't understand etc. but that's a different debate).

When seeking heath care privately there is a cost involved but like Salmotrutta my PHI covers a lot / the bulk of it.

Initially the insurers weren't quite as generous but I changed / upgraded my cover a few years ago to reduce the excess and to improve the rebate etc. There was a waiting period before I could avail of the extra benefits (2 years if I recall correctly) as my MS was a "pre-existing condition". As it happens the waiting period wasn't an issue as my MS was stable so I had little reason to seek help. (I may therefore be mistaken about the time frame for the waiting period). This year however was different, as I had quite a severe flare-up in the early part of the summer on foot of which which I have had 4 consultant consultations, a mixture of face to and Zoom, a similar number of MRIs, two visits to hospital, at least 8 GP visits, and I think 3 or 4 blood tests all in a relatively short time frame. The PHI company paid the bulk of these (all of the MRIs and hospital visits were 100% covered) and there is more stuff in the diary (hopefully not as much, as things have settled) but the net result is that the PHI company paid out a fair wedge of money this year, well in excess of what I paid in premiums for at least the last two years.

For me the massive benefit of going private is my Neurologist (or at least his secretary) will invariably call me within 24 hours of my reaching out and when deemed necessary an MRI was scheduled and carried within 48 hours, with at least a follow up call within hours of the results, (even after hours / over the weekend) and thereafter on two occasions a face to face / physical exam "tomorrow / later this week", even at the current time (covid etc). I'm a worrier so to me that is priceless.

On the negative side I don't have access to a nurse which from what I hear is very useful to many.

I can't compare to the public system as you ask, as admittedly I have no experience of it, but hear anecdotally of family and friends who are the public system and from what I hear it can be slow, unless you are very ill, especially at the current time, for obvious reasons.

As I said, my experience of the public system is non existentant so open to challenge re my assumptions, and I know I am privileged in that I have access to good PHI but for me it's worth the sacrifice elsewhere if only to stop the worrying / allow me move things quickly when I feel I need to / am worried about something.

On reading your post it seems like the Radiology department genuinely haven't got your referral. All my referrals for MRi etc come via my Neuro and are via the clinic he operates from so that might help expedite matters here? FWIW my initial referral from my GP to the Neuro was "urgent" but the GP who I know for nearly 30 years said she was referring me to this guy as she rates him / has only ever had positive experience working with / referring patients to him.

@ PPN2893 Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

On Gilinea since start of year , had 6 month check up with Consultant 2 weeks last week . got text this afternoon re booster on 3rd December - hopefully others start getting text soon as well !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Hi all. I’ve been on Ocrelizumab for 3 years now. I got a letter to say that I will no longer need to give my bloods at the hospital 2 weeks before the infusions (as is normal practice) as they will send a nurse to my home or work place to do it instead. I feel like I’ve won the lotto! I’m hoping it’s a step towards home infusions (like they do in England with the NHS). Has anyone else done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

In relation to public/private I definitely think it depends on where you are. I have only been public for my MS. I was sent to the eye clinic and told to come back next day where a neurologist examined me. Had an MRI the same day and a month later a follow up appointment where I was diagnosed. I've had annual appointments and MRIs since then also. When I was having relapses I only had to call the MS nurse and was seen within a day or two and steroids were arranged right away. I've also changed medications from copaxone to gilenya to lemtrada all via public system following relapses.

I have private health insurance but have never felt the need to use it for MS as I've been very well looked after in the public system. I do know that isn't everyone's experience however. And I've had other need to use my private health insurance when the public system has let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Got booster on Firday afternoon ( pfizer) , was bit weary as wasn't great after 2nd Moderna in June ! No side effects this time around - bit of a sore arm but nothing compared to June !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

I'm on gilenya and haven't heard anything about a booster - because the walk-in clinics are restricted to the age groups there's not a lot I can do. On the upside they're starting to vaccinate people who live with vulnerable people from next week and my boyfriend got his booster over a month ago so maybe I'll be priority for that group 🙄🤞🤞 .

I can't really understand why there's no mechanism for people who have been missed to self-refer and it was the exact same with the rollout the first time around. Phew - rant over, at least the whole thing's ramping up so we'll all be boosted soon enough.

I was in the same boat until last week. No call from HSE. My GP had a clinic last week for groups 4 and 7 and I got an appointment, this week they sent a text to say they are having a clinic next week for all patients, no age restriction. I would give your GP a call, or local pharmacies. The govt are ramping up the vaccination programme and asking GPs to do a lot more jabs, so you may get an appointment that way easier.

On another note, has anyone been switched to the generic drug instead of Gilenya? I picked up my prescription yesterday and they mentioned about switching next month. I said I'd check with my consultant, but with the State paying for it I'm surprised to even be asked. Presumably there is no difference except on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Well I sheepishly thought I'd give an update. I got an appointment today after ringing the HSE number on the booster website.

I also realised my dad in his sixties isn't done yet either so I think it hasn't gone as far ahead as I had been thinking it had, it's just seeing the newspapers report things moving ahead stressed me out and made me feel like I'd been left behind. At least it seems like it's going to ramp up now in the coming weeks.

Something I have noticed increasingly, as my walking has got worse , I've noticed walking down hill is terrifying. Up hill not to bad as there's always pressure on at least one foot, but gravity and balancing going down hill is completely shot. Has anyone else noticed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi folks,

Hope ye are all well. Just a quick update, I'm flying to London on January 10th to start my HSCT journey, it is being done on the NHS in UCLH. My ocrelizumab for end of November was cancelled and instead they've given me three days of iv steroids in early December to stave off any brewing relapses. Predictably, I am very symptomatic but steadfastly ignoring it! I'll keep ye updated as to how it's all going. Happy Christmas and keep well xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seeker82

Hi All,

My wife was recently diagnosed. She was told at start of month she is on the waiting list for Tysabri infusion.

Would anyone know how long she will have to wait until her first infusion ? Getting worried now about the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gamerguy1

I have that problem too,im ok going up hill but downhill is tough. Going down small steps is the toughest thing for me. I've noticed ive got a bit worse since the pandemic started,my walking is getting worse. Its quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

And I’m the exact same. The pandemic has been terrible for my walking. Downhill and down steps are tough. Slow moving, off balance and very laboured is how I’d describe my walking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gamerguy1

Thought it was just me that this is happening to. Walking is worse since last year and it's so tough to go anywhere. Increased baclofen and still hasn't done much to help the tin man walking. Little steps and uneven footpaths are not my friend either. Its quite annoying that the pandemic has done this to us.

Is she on a public or private list ? It’s great news that she is getting such a highly effective DMD so early . Has she been tested for the JC virus ?

For those of you that have contracted Covid, how long till symptoms went away. I’m 3 weeks now and still have a cough and positive antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 debskc

Hi there, just a quick question how long does it take for lumbar punture results take to come back? I got mine done in cuh and it was being sent to UK! Thank you

Tell me about it. 15 times the police have knocked on my door to breathalyse me. This is at around 3pm after the school run .though I have suspicions someone was calling them in the hope I'd be guilty

One thing I've found is that cars are alot more obliging letting you cross the road if you have a walking stick

• Advertisement

Tested positive 2 weeks ago. Probably 10 days before the (slight) cough disappeared, day 11 before I tested negative. First few days were horrible, frozen with the cold even sitting by the fire, aches and chills. Headache lasted a week or more. Really tired up to a couple of days ago, still not 100% energy-wise. But getting over it. Had seen data suggesting people on Gilenya have next to no response to the vaccine, so I was worried about potential outcome when I got it, but thankfully not too bad in the end.

Advertisement